Your top 5 coaches at State all time

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Food for thought...

McCarthy's last two seasons at State, just following the 1963 Season of Change, were 9-17 and 10-16. After a terrible season at GW, he did have some nice teams in the ABA before passing too young at 51.

Sherrill, as most here will remember, finished his State tenure with 3-8, 3-9, 2-10 records winning 3 SEC games over those seasons and leaving the program in very rough shape.
Sherril left State with a 67-48-2 record.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
1. Lemonis - coached a team to the Natty
2. Schaefer - coached teams to championship games
3. Cohen - coached a team to the championship series
4. McKeen - coached a team to the SPS natty and won the SEC
t-5. Williams - coached a team to the Final Four and won the SEC
t-5. McCarthy - coached four teams to SEC titles and probably could have made a Final Four if not for Mississippi being Mississippi

Also receiving consideration:
Paul Gregory and Ron Polk for being builders and Don Mullet

Reactions: RockyDog

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Are you sure?

Honestly can't tell if there's an inside SPS joke I'm missing here. From Wikipedia...

"In thirteen seasons in Starkville, Sherrill coached the Bulldogs to a record of 75–75–2. His 75 wins are the most in school history."

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Lets prime the pump for the 5 worst coming up next after this I would guess:

1) Arnett
2) Morehead
3) Rick Ray
4) Croom
5) Bob Boyd

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
In terms of personal favorites.

Emory (if only for the last 5 games of the 1980 regular season)
Dan (if only for the first 6 games of 2014 and the Gator Bowl win over Michigan)
Ron the FIRST (Thunder and Lightning years)
Jackie (the SEC Championship game and some really fun 17n wins)
Richard (the final four run)

But BABE and McKEEN are still the TOP when it comes to greater and sustained success.
Remember Dan lost 3 EBs by texting for other jobs.

Reactions: DoggieDaddy13

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm only ranking since 1980, this is easy, just look as the most successful.

1. Lemonjuice
2. Vic
3. Richard Williams
4. Dan Merlinz
5. JWS or Cohenz

patdog

May 28, 2007
Honestly can't tell if there's an inside SPS joke I'm missing here. From Wikipedia...

"In thirteen seasons in Starkville, Sherrill coached the Bulldogs to a record of 75–75–2. His 75 wins are the most in school history."
Dawgstudent has post-traumatic stress and has erased the last 3 years from his memory. I only wish I were so lucky.

snoopdog

Mar 25, 2008
1) Ron Polk
2) Jackie Sherrill
3) Richard Williams
4) Vic Schaefer
5) Dan Mullen/Emory Bellard
I base this off of taking us to another level after they arrived. I know Lemonis is left out even though he meets that criteria. Also, I don’t know anything about the coaches from decades ago.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
His 150-160 record at Murray and Indiana State after he left seems to bring this into question.
Coach K wouldn't be able to win at Murray or ISU. Both terrible places for basketball consistent prowess. The big question for me is why leave a SEC school that had 100 times the resources and facilities than those 2? Even being a Murray alum still is not a good enough reason to take such a huge step down when he was winning big in the SEC.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I will say this. Jackie Sherrill commanded the most respect of any coach that stepped foot on Scott Field. My Dad was so excited when he took the job. I remember him saying "we've got our own crook now!" Sherrill was the Kang. The next on my list would be Vick Schaefer followed by Leach. Leach didn't give a damn what you, me or anybody thought and he could get it done his way. Mullen could've been the man, but he was still one of our best. Richard Williams is my favorite basketball coach and I'll throw Lemonis at the end because he didn't screw it up, and that takes SOME talent.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
If you could get rid of the bottom 5 or 10 that made us sux for so many years, those top 5 guys would look pretty damn good. I know, always with the negative waves...

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
1. Allyn McKeen - should be credited with at least 1 National Championship
2. Chris Lemonis - coached us to our lone NC
3. Vic Shaffer - coached us to 2 national chamionship runner up finishes.
4. Jon Cohen - coached us to a national championship runner up finish.
5. Dan Mullen - took us to #1 ranking and put us in the NC discussion in football.
6. Ron Polk - built interest in college baseball at State and the SEC. Took us to the CWS multiple times. Without him we probably never win our NC.

To me it is simply about ability to compete for NCs. Everything else is arm waving and emotion.