YoutubeTV / ESPN

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Are these two clowns going to get their issues worked out? For anybody that doesn't know, their agreement comes to an end Friday. They're already saying they'll lower the bill $15, but I have very little reason to continue it and I'm guessing I will have lots of company.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
College basketball season isnt a great time to threaten customers with the loss of espn. It may help my blood pressure

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I literally just read that email. And right before bowl season and college basketball…. If they don’t get it resolved then I’m done and might even go back to cable or try the Direct TV steaming. And I’ve loved YouTubeTV much more than the other streaming services but I just feel like they have more negotiation issues than anyone else.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Someone will likely blink before Friday. I've heard the ESPN channels make up a huge part of the cost of cable/streaming packages. Wonder if YTTV is threatening to move them to an optional package.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I would be shocked if it doesn't get resolved pretty soon, YTTV needs Disney a lot more than Disney needs them. If they don't get it fixed by the time the bigger bowl games start airing, I'll probably just do a 7 day trial of Hulu Live or something like that to cover my bases.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
But Bowl season, CFP, National Championship game might get a few folks to switch platforms I would think. I know I'll be dropping YTTV and adding another streaming service so I can watch bowl games and then the college football playoff in two weeks. And YTTV can be pretty headstrong, they've had a few deals struck in the 11th hour but look at Roku. They let that one expire and didn't get a new deal for a few months

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I was joking but we are all seeing that cord cutting as a cost cutting measure just isnt tenable.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
That’s the beauty of streaming. Just cut it off and use another service until they figure it out

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
To paraphrase Jim Barksdale, if you want to make money, you gotta bundle or unbundle, baby

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
That’s the beauty of streaming. Just cut it off and use another service until they figure it out

Completely disagree. I want to fire up the tv and watch it, and have the bill autodraft once a month. Sitting there figuring out what game or whatever is on what app, and toggling around apps - 17 it, I'll just read a book.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I got ya. Yep, I'm going to be headed back to cable here soon just because I'll be paying more in streaming services. I thought this was supposed to save money

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Your credit card still bills once a month. Just to another service. My point was with cable you jd contracts, and have to get new equipment installed and picked up to change services. Now you just down load Hulu live, or direct tv steaming and move on with no hassle

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Me too. I'm plenty happy overpaying for Comcast/Xfinity. Yes, it costs more. But I never have to worry about picture or sound quality, buffering, which channels just got dropped. And I get a much more easy to use and functional DVR and remote.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
YouTubeTV can consider me as good as gone if they lose ESPN.

Me too… and I really like YouTube tv. But hell Espn is about the only reason I have any tv package. All the stuff the kids watch is on Disney plus or Netflix

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Cord cutting is absolutely cheaper than cable and satellite. It’s just not for the lazy.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Cord cutting is absolutely cheaper than cable and satellite. It’s just not for the lazy.

I was fine with Uverse when it worked. Got to where I had to overhaul it every other time I turned it on.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Factually it's cheaper, just not enough to really move the needle. And you're right about lazy, the clunkiness of streaming drives me insane. I watch TV to be lazy, not to do more work and wait and around.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Factually it's cheaper, just not enough to really move the needle. And you're right about lazy, the clunkiness of streaming drives me insane. I watch TV to be lazy, not to do more work and wait and around.

With you all the way. Youtubetv was the best I'd come across until they started this nonsense.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I said it years ago. The ISPs and networks have an incestuous relationship. They aren't going to let you cut costs for very long. Tin foil on...I believed they allowed it short term to test markets. Now they can start extracting the normal rates (or more) since they know people will go for it.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
I’m sure lots of people will be happy when the ESPN stand alone service finally comes to reality in the next 5 years or so. I’m tired of the streaming services adding more and more channels that small groups want. In the end, it’s just cable/satellite without the equipment rentals.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Imagine how bad this would sucked 5 years ago when you couldnt just go online and find another provider…when almost everything was equipment and physical cable lines. The simplicity is the value in all this far moreso than dollars.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I got ya. Yep, I'm going to be headed back to cable here soon just because I'll be paying more in streaming services. I thought this was supposed to save money

My family likes the content on Netflix, Paramount+, Disney+, Prime, Peacock, and HBOMax.

Those streaming services capture everything on FX, CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox in addition to giving all the original content of those platforms.
If I get cable, then I have FX, CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox...but not all the original content of those platforms.

Seems like a really easy decision. I think many people are in a similar boat.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Somebody tell me why ESPN can’t make their own damn streaming platform already? Charge $15-$20 per month just for the ESPN’s. Why do they continue to tether their content to other providers when they can just go straight to the market? I wouldn’t get Sling, YTTV, or anything else if I had that direct access, and I know I’m not alone.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
We just canceled YouTube TV (cancelled Direct TV about a year ago).

The Disney+ package includes ESPN and HULU and is much cheaper. So now we’re down to that and Netflix. Oh, and the free Paramount+ deal I get with 247.

I get the locals for sports on an antenna.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Somebody tell me why ESPN can’t make their own damn streaming platform already? Charge $15-$20 per month just for the ESPN’s. Why do they continue to tether their content to other providers when they can just go straight to the market? I wouldn’t get Sling, YTTV, or anything else if I had that direct access, and I know I’m not alone.

They can. They haven’t because they haven’t deemed it to be more profitable yet. The link below does a pretty good job of explaining it if you wish to read it. Basically, if they go standalone, they risk their carriage agreements and potentially lose the profits from all the cable/satellite/streaming service subs that pay for it but wouldn’t buy a stand alone ESPN service.

https://thestreamable.com/news/can-disney-help-espn-kick-its-reliance-on-pay-tv-subscription-models

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
You are not going to get standard ESPN programming with the Disney+ package

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Because none of those capture the primary ESPN/SECN programming

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Live sports is the only reason we have YouTube tv. We just swapped over from Hulu live. I guess we will hop back.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
My family likes the content on Netflix, Paramount+, Disney+, Prime, Peacock, and HBOMax.

Those streaming services capture everything on FX, CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox in addition to giving all the original content of those platforms.
If I get cable, then I have FX, CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox...but not all the original content of those platforms.

Seems like a really easy decision. I think many people are in a similar boat.

I don't have Paramount yet but I highly recommend Discovery+. We watch it more than anything except football.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
What do you use for live sports? That's my only issue right now. Kid and wife love all the content the ones you mentioned but I want all the local affiliates/ESPN/SECN. I live in VA now so streaming services that only allow one regional network always mean ACCN unless I pay for the whole sports package.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Because none of those capture the primary ESPN/SECN programming

Yup, dumbass me.
It's the damn topic of the thread even, but I didn't think of it. It's not on my radar because I steal it from my parents and use my espn+ thru the Disney bundle.

Obviously a good point.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
We just canceled YouTube TV (cancelled Direct TV about a year ago).

The Disney+ package includes ESPN and HULU and is much cheaper. So now we’re down to that and Netflix. Oh, and the free Paramount+ deal I get with 247.

I get the locals for sports on an antenna.

Yup, dumbass me.
It's the damn topic of the thread even, but I didn't think of it. It's not on my radar because I steal it from my parents and use my espn+ thru the Disney bundle.

Obviously a good point.

@mstateglfr I think he might have been replying to woozman but not sure.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
You have no idea the greed of all the networks. They will resolve this but that's why your TV bills keep going up and up.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
please do it yttv - drop that bill by $15 then add espn+ for 70/year. take that $9 and have a starbucks 2x per month. win win

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
It is still a way better deal than Dish or Direct satellite services. Cable is not an option in many rural areas.

I finally got a decent internet connection out in the sticks through 4 County Electric Power that can run multiple TV's, laptops, cellphones at once. The internet service is competitively priced and is reliable and fast. I am spending about $150 on Internet and Tv programming Combined. That used to cost me about $240 a month for Dish Network Satellite and a piss poor ATT internet through the old phone systems not fibre optic. I barely got 15 mbs download, it takes 25mbs to run one TV in HD.

I will explore other options if you tube tv drops ESPN but I figure I will still be better off.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Ditto. I'm paying $150/month for all sports channels (that matter), RedZone, and interwebs. IMO that's hard to beat. As much as people dump on Comcast, it's hard to beat their pricing and packages.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
please do it yttv - drop that bill by $15 then add espn+ for 70/year. take that $9 and have a starbucks 2x per month. win win

That is ESPN+ and does not have their regular programming. I am pretty sure that is game broadcast that aren't on ESPN or Network TV. It's cool to have for basketball and baseball games that aren't broadcast but you aren't getting big game on it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login