Zach Arnett just agreed to terms to be head coach

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
It's not likely to happen. And there's a chance to get Bump back in town if Spurrior doesn't hang around. I think there could be some changes. I think we grab a Leach guy as OC. Feel like that's already in the works but I wasn't sure if Arnett was going to be the guy for sure either. Just was a lot of smoke.
That's fine. I feel sure it will be someone within Leach's tree. I just wondered what the deal was on Spurrier Jr.? Apparently he's reached his ceiling.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Just looks kick @SS like bring a lunch box. Best of luck to him.

Let Will call the plays for the bowl game. He knows what Leach would probably have called.

Attachments

• 20221214_155749.jpg
    20221214_155749.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 12

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
He normally is!
Meh, we can't be right all the time. Would be boring. But to reply to you both, Spurrior doesn't have a ton of experience with, nor was he Leach's right-hand man. That's completely false. And he also hasn't been coaching bowl games forever. Hell, he was an analyst before Leach put him at WR coach. And nothing against the guy, but he's never called a play. Not what we need with a first time HC.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Not who you're replying to, but I don't want Spurrier simply because I'm concerned about having a first time playcaller on offense to go with a first time head coach. It's possible he's actually handled play calling and done plenty of things for Leach that will make Arnett comfortable that he is ready, but looking from the outside, it seems like he'd be better served having an experienced playcaller.
playcalling seems like something people either have or don't. It is not unreasonable to be concerned that he might not have passed that test yet. we just need to get spurrier senior to be in the box as a consultant until he picks it up***

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Just shows what a cruel business this is though, that any move at all needed to be made less than 48 hours after CML passes...
I think that's mainly due to signing day being next week, and being in the middle of transfer portal season. Also a difficult situation with the coaching staff. Their career depends on a quick decision to be made - they need to know if they'll have a job for next season, or if they should be looking elsewhere.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Are their any Leach disciples who are former head coaches and available to be OC? Could help Arnett stabilize things to have a former HC on the staff.

I would suggest Hal Mumme, but I saw him on that SECN tribute, and he looks like a mummy.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Are their any Leach disciples who are former head coaches and available to be OC? Could help Arnett stabilize things to have a former HC on the staff.

I would suggest Hal Mumme, but I saw him on that SECN tribute, and he looks like a mummy.

Not naw, but hell naw on Mumme. There's reasons he was at Belhaven late in his career.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Sure would like to see Zach coax Rocky Long out of retirement for a couple of years to be the DC.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
This is what had to happen. Anything else puts the whole program at risk. The OC hire is going to be huge. We have so much experience coming back on both sides of the ball. I feel like we would be an attractive job for an Air Raid OC looking to up his profile.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
It is interesting to me that Mike Leach persisted in the profession at a high level and Mumme seemingly drifted downward in terms of prestige/size.
Mumme was more concerned with proving people wrong about his passing game than he was with winning. He'd rather have lost and thrown for 450 yards than win while taking what the defense gave him.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Love ZA and think this is definitely the right move for the immediate future. Just shows what a cruel business this is though, that any move at all needed to be made less than 48 hours after CML passes...

I don't see it as cruel at all. We promoted Leach's guy and will probably retain the vast majority of his staff.

Reactions: msstatelp1

LexSCDOG

Aug 5, 2014
I just don't understand this. Have you had anyone on staff tell you he's not qualified or just basing it on he's a 50 y/o with no coordinator experience?
He was on his father’s staff here in Columbia for 11 yrs. Grew to be the passing game coordinator then co-Offensive coordinator. Now if I remember correctly the co-OC performance was so so. But then he went and worked under Lincoln riley and then Leach. He is perfect for the role at this time. Knows the players and the system. Give him a shot move on if it does not work out

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
I wish you would explain what you have against Spurrier. He was Leach right hand man, tons of experience, and had to pick up a few things from the fun and gun. I think you are bad wrong. This guy has been coaching in bowl games since 1995. He knows offense.
You answered your question with your second sentence.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Fantastic! I love his intensity and the aggressiveness he brings. Players should love him. Let’s win som games!!!

was21

May 29, 2007

I think his last gig was OC at Jackson State and it didn't last long.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Despite my earlier post in dawgstudents thread, I think this is a good decision, especially under the circumstances. And has a decent chance of being a home run hire.

Reactions: ThreeDawgNight

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I wish you would explain what you have against Spurrier. He was Leach right hand man, tons of experience, and had to pick up a few things from the fun and gun. I think you are bad wrong. This guy has been coaching in bowl games since 1995. He knows offense.
Have to ***** about something.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Just heard that on Finebaum. Some will think it is a knee jerk decision but I'm for it.
About as good as we could do right now given the circumstances.
Still think I would have made the call to Deion just to see.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Not who you're replying to, but I don't want Spurrier simply because I'm concerned about having a first time playcaller on offense to go with a first time head coach. It's possible he's actually handled play calling and done plenty of things for Leach that will make Arnett comfortable that he is ready, but looking from the outside, it seems like he'd be better served having an experienced playcaller.
Arnett needs to focus on D and hope like hell Spurrier will be half as good as his Dad on playcalling or go out and find a Multi dimensional OC that likes to sling it around but doesn’t mind being physical in the trenches and running it when we can.

Reactions: ThreeDawgNight

PirateBay

Jan 9, 2020
Meh, we can't be right all the time. Would be boring. But to reply to you both, Spurrior doesn't have a ton of experience with, nor was he Leach's right-hand man. That's completely false. And he also hasn't been coaching bowl games forever. Hell, he was an analyst before Leach put him at WR coach. And nothing against the guy, but he's never called a play. Not what we need with a first time HC.
That offensive Analyst stint was with Riley… was also at Florida in the 90’s, Offensive QC at OU in 2000 when they won a natty, has coached tight ends, wide receivers, QB, passing game coordinator, recruiting coordinator, and co-offensive coordinator all before he started under Leach.
So, yes, he has been literally coaching in bowl games for longer than our players have been alive. I’m not saying give him the gig, but acting like he hasn’t been coaching for a long time is incorrect.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
He was on his father’s staff here in Columbia for 11 yrs. Grew to be the passing game coordinator then co-Offensive coordinator. Now if I remember correctly the co-OC performance was so so. But then he went and worked under Lincoln riley and then Leach. He is perfect for the role at this time. Knows the players and the system. Give him a shot move on if it does not work out
You guys sure like making big gambles with a multi millionaire dollar business. I keep seeing. If it doesn't work out move on. You make the wrong gamble it sets you back a long time

Reactions: dog99walker
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login