“[Starkville] can’t preserve your horse riding trails at the expense of…

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
[h=4]Site Criteria[/h]
  • Cracker Barrel “trade dress” on the exterior of building with prominent signage
  • No liquor license required

I’m guessing this is what it boiled down to. Current administration probably wouldn’t budge on “trade dress” or certainly not “prominent signage”.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
If I blind-tasted you plates from Cracker Barrel and Starkville Cafe - do you think you could tell a difference? I think we can all agree Cracker Barrel is well behind ABE and First Watch.

The huevos rancheros at ABE is solid. I’ll take the NOLA Waffles (no syrup) as well.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Things have really changed if GTR locals are willing to drive to and from either town for a dinner. Hell columbus folks would eat a spam sandwich for breakfast before driving across town, back in my day, no way in hell all the way to Starkville (or vice versa).

Forget Cracker Barrel. The Breakfast Club.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
A few years ago I went on four day motorcycle trip with friends. Started the trip meeting up at a Cracker Barrel for a late breakfast early lunch and headed out. Stopped at a hotel that night and there happened to be another CB next door. We were tired and didn’t want to ride anywhere else so we ate there. Someone jokingly asked what time we were eatIng breakfast at CB the next morning. The trip then became the Cracker Barrel Tour. We ate every meal on the trip at a Cracker Barrel , breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I can’t recall having a bad meal the entire trip and The Cracker Barrel Tour still get mentioned years later when any of us get together.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Now you are changing the topic.

If I want to go, I will. So will anyone else.

But it’s absolutely not as convenient as being in Starkville which was basically your argument.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Now you are changing the topic.

If I want to go, I will. So will anyone else.

But it’s absolutely not as convenient as being in Starkville which was basically your argument.
My argument was that convenience is more like pure laziness. But whatever, it's pretty obvious I'm in the minority here, so fine.

But I know this - if I'm marketing Starkville/Columbus/West Point to someone, I'm speaking in terms of Golden Triangle, not just any one town. If I lived in Starkville, I'd consider Columbus/West Point amenities as local. You wouldn't. Fine, you win.

I mean do you consider Old Waverly to be in the Starkville area? Mossy Oak? Anthony's? Air Force Base? How could you not? **** I halfway consider Nail's in Stewart as local. I mean people make these commutes daily.

Last edited:

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
My argument was that convenience is more like pure laziness. But whatever, it's pretty obvious I'm in the minority here, so fine.

But I know this - if I'm marketing Starkville/Columbus/West Point to someone, I'm speaking in terms of Golden Triangle, not just any one town. If I lived in Starkville, I'd consider Columbus/West Point amenities as local. You wouldn't. Fine, you win.

I mean do you consider Old Waverly to be in the Starkville area? Mossy Oak? Anthony's? How could you not? **** I halfway consider Nail's in Stewart as local. I mean people make these commutes daily.

Who is trying to market Starkville-Columbus-West Point as some sort of package deal? The problem is that 2 of those 3 are **** holes, and the 3rd, while not a ********, has many of the same problems as the first 2 related to rural MS issues with attracting new commerce, poverty / poor public school options, etc.

Starkville gets better if people with means move to Starkville. Same for Columbus and West Point. It actively hurts the other 2 cities when folks who contribute to the economy and tax base choose another option close by. Yeah, it be nice if all 3 were codependant, thriving portions of a booming metropolis, but that’s simply never going to happen. So Starkville should market itself and not even worry about the other spots. “You’re only 30 minutes away from this ****** *** chain restaurant in Columbus” should never be something uttered by anyone who has Starkville’s best interests in mind, when trying to sell it as a liveable destination.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Who is trying to market Starkville-Columbus-West Point as some sort of package deal? The problem is that 2 of those 3 are **** holes, and the 3rd, while not a ********, has many of the same problems as the first 2 related to rural MS issues with attracting new commerce, poverty / poor public school options, etc.

Starkville gets better if people with means move to Starkville. Same for Columbus and West Point. It actively hurts the other 2 cities when folks who contribute to the economy and tax base choose another option close by. Yeah, it be nice if all 3 were codependant, thriving portions of a booming metropolis, but that’s simply never going to happen. So Starkville should market itself and not even worry about the other spots. “You’re only 30 minutes away from this ****** *** chain restaurant in Columbus” should never be something uttered by anyone who has Starkville’s best interests in mind, when trying to sell it as a liveable destination.
https://gtrlink.org/

Derp

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I always assumed CB lived off of "tourist", not local business (except on Sundays).

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

I mean do you consider Old Waverly to be in the Starkville area? Mossy Oak? Anthony's? Air Force Base? How could you not? **** I halfway consider Nail's in Stewart as local. I mean people make these commutes daily.

When I am in a rural town and there is something unique in another rural town 25mi away, I would consider that to be pretty local.
Mossy Oak or Old Waverly would be two examples. I consider Old Waverly to be close to Starkville because it is an excellent course and the closest excellent course to Starkville by a long shot. It is very unique.

None of this applies to 17ing Cracker Barrel though. Its a mediocre chain restaurant known more for its faux-country charm and throwback kitschy store than its food. There is nothing unique about the food and therefore it isnt local because actual local places can serve the same or better with more convenience.
This all goes back to the Lowe's example- nobody in Starkville will drive 30min to Lowe's in Columbus if they can buy what they want from Lowe's in Starkville. When the same product/level of product is available closer, that will be the overwhelming place people go.

Its funny that you equate convenience with laziness. As if people should drive out of their way just so they arent considered lazy? That practice would make them wasteful. Is wasteful better than lazy? And why isnt doing the convenient thing viewed as efficient? You are trying to assign morality to something that is amoral.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You can market the golden triangle as an area and still want a 17ing Cracker Barrel in Starkville and Columbus.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login