“Penn State launching new Nittany Lion Mascot logos, signature marks”

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
See the link below. From the article:

”UNIVERSITY PARK – In an effort to update and modernize the iconic Nittany Lion’s brand, Penn State is rolling out the launch of new logos and a signature mark for the beloved mascot. Merchandise featuring the new marks will be launched the weekend of Oct. 4 leading up to Penn State’s football game against UCLA at Beaver Stadium.

A full body, head and signature mark will be the first logos in a series aimed at enhancing connection of the Nittany Lion to fans everywhere. With various new colorways, imprint options, and dynamic poses, these logos will increase the merchandise options for Penn Staters in exciting new ways.

“The Nittany Lion mascot has been a mainstay to the image of Penn State for 120 years, embodying the ‘We Are’ spirit and cultivating pride from the classroom to the athletics fields,” said Rachel Pell, vice president for Strategic Communications. "I'm excited to introduce to the Penn State community a fresh take on our beloved Nittany Lion, especially the highly requested signature, which can now be shared with the broader Penn State audience through stickers and decals.”

The initial product line will be featured on Oct. 4 at The Family Clothesline, where the Nittany Lion will be in store from 4:15 to 5 p.m. at 352 East College Avenue, State College, signing autographs and taking photos. Products will include mugs, stickers and decals, apparel, hats, giftware and more. Following the launch, new Nittany Lion products will be available across all retail locations that offer Penn State merchandise.”

IMG_2244.jpeg

This is what we’re up against.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Any idea what the circle in the scarf represents?
View attachment 661884

A generic representation of a pin.

Reactions: Bkmtnittany1

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021

”UNIVERSITY PARK – In an effort to update and modernize the iconic Nittany Lion’s brand, Penn State is rolling out the launch of new logos and a signature mark for the beloved mascot. Merchandise featuring the new marks will be launched the weekend of Oct. 4 leading up to Penn State’s football game against UCLA at Beaver Stadium.

A full body, head and signature mark will be the first logos in a series aimed at enhancing connection of the Nittany Lion to fans everywhere. With various new colorways, imprint options, and dynamic poses, these logos will increase the merchandise options for Penn Staters in exciting new ways.

“The Nittany Lion mascot has been a mainstay to the image of Penn State for 120 years, embodying the ‘We Are’ spirit and cultivating pride from the classroom to the athletics fields,” said Rachel Pell, vice president for Strategic Communications. "I'm excited to introduce to the Penn State community a fresh take on our beloved Nittany Lion, especially the highly requested signature, which can now be shared with the broader Penn State audience through stickers and decals.”

The initial product line will be featured on Oct. 4 at The Family Clothesline, where the Nittany Lion will be in store from 4:15 to 5 p.m. at 352 East College Avenue, State College, signing autographs and taking photos. Products will include mugs, stickers and decals, apparel, hats, giftware and more. Following the launch, new Nittany Lion products will be available across all retail locations that offer Penn State merchandise.”

View attachment 661874

They should have the Lion flipping the bird with one paw while holding a sign in the other paw saying,” Hey Surma!”

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021

View attachment 661874

I am probably mistaken, but I thought this mascot logo was already used for kids' clothing and other items. Or maybe that's just what it reminds me of.
Too cartoon-y for adults, but great for kids, imo.

I still like the short-lived one (labeled 2001) as an alternative to the beloved chipmunk.
1727794315141.jpeg

Reactions: 84lion

retsio

Oct 13, 2021
I am probably mistaken, but I thought this mascot logo was already used for kids' clothing and other items. Or maybe that's just what it reminds me of.

I still like the short-lived one (labeled 2001) as an alternative to the beloved chipmunk.
View attachment 661933

In the past, I have argued with the past AD and the alumni office - of course without any concern on their part, as they have replied -
the Chipmunk is for Athletics and the 2001 logo is for Academics.

Several other Big Ten schools use only one logo- but they have replied - Penn State wishes to be different ......

Reactions: Bob78

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021
In the past, I have argued with the past AD and the alumni office - of course without any concern on their part, as they have replied -

Several other Big Ten schools use only one logo- but they have replied - Penn State wishes to be different ......
Quick Google shows that the 2001 logo lasted just 3 or 4 years. Now that you have said this, I recall hearing that about athletics vs. academics logos back when, also. Still, that logo was available on T-shirts, caps, etc., alongside the chipmunk in the stores downtown, at least tacitly making it an alternate athletic logo. I know I had a cap, a jacket, and at least one T-shirt with it, and I liked it.

If they can sell a few more shirts and caps and jackets with this iteration, good for 'em. I have more than enough PSU gear, 95% with the chipmunk, already, so I'm not the target consumer anyway.

Reactions: retsio

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

View attachment 661933

The 2001 logo is NFL-y. Not collegial.

Reactions: Bob78

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
This is my favorite PSU logo:

I never understood the horse-a$$ from PSU years ago about this logo no longer being suitable for digital systems or whatever.

Reactions: retsio

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

View attachment 661874

Looks good; seems like an effort to formalize branding around the mascot.

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021

The university I work at has a logo for academics and a separate logo for athletics. It was weird at first, but I’ve gotten used to it.

TheTwistedFrog

Aug 24, 2017
It could always be worse. Here in South Bend we get at least two alternate jerseys per year for the yuppies to buy. The Green jersey and the Shamrock Series jersey.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login