2022 - 2023 Premier League Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
The TV schedule for this weekend:

Saturday
7:30 am EST -- AFC Bournemouth vs. Liverpool (USA Network)
10:00 am EST -- Leeds U. vs. Brighton & Hove Albion (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Leicester C vs. Chelsea (USA Network)
10:00 am EST -- Everton vs. Brentford (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Tottenham Hotspur vs. Nottingham Forest (Peacock)
12:30 pm EST -- Crystal Palace vs. Man C. (USA Network)

Sunday
10:00 am EDT -- West Ham U. vs. Aston Villa (USA Network)
10:00 am EDT -- Man U. vs. Southampton (Peacock)
10:00 am EDT -- Fulham vs. Arsenal (Peacock)
12:30 pm EDT -- Newcastle U. vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers (USA Network)

@LionJim -- a lot of matches for you that aren't on the 'Cock

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Bournemouth 1, Liverpool 0, 30th minute

I literally turned on the match as Bournemouth scored. I’m such an a$$hole. 😞

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Fulham 0-2 Arsenal at 40’. Now, I’m off to the gym, wearing a Penn State shirt!

Reactions: BobPSU92

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021

I haven’t seen the plays in question. Does he make a fair point?
His foot after he won the ball clearly went into the players leg, but his foot bounced off the ball after he won it. There absolutely zero intent to hurt the player, but since his spikes were up they overturned it. I could see a straight red there had he whiffed on the ball completely or didn't beat the player to the ball but that wasn't the case. He won the ball. They yellow on the field was the right call due to him hitting him after, but when a player clearly wins the ball and then the players come into contact...it's a harsh red in my opinion which is biased.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
His foot after he won the ball clearly went into the players leg, but his foot bounced off the ball after he won it. There absolutely zero intent to hurt the player, but since his spikes were up they overturned it. I could see a straight red there had he whiffed on the ball completely or didn't beat the player to the ball but that wasn't the case. He won the ball. They yellow on the field was the right call due to him hitting him after, but when a player clearly wins the ball and then the players come into contact...it's a harsh red in my opinion which is biased.
I saw the film, Casemiro got the ball. Should have been just a yellow.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

I haven’t seen the plays in question. Does he make a fair point?

It's an unfortunate situation. Without VAR, the call on the field (yellow) would have stood. With VAR, the call was changed to a red.

Casemiro was unlucky, in as @LaJollaCreek mentions, he plays the ball and his foot rolls over the ball and into the opponent's shin, cleats first. But it's stressed over, and over, and over to soccer refs that every player is responsible for being in control of their actions, and also that striking an opponent with cleats up should always be a red card. It does not appear that Casemire attempted to injure his opponent, and it's obvious that he didn't simply miss the ball and and land on the opponent's shin. That said, it's pretty clear why the VAR officials buzzed down, and why after viewing the VAR replay the center ref changed the yellow to a red. Professional soccer players are responsible for being in control of their actions, and striking an opponent (even if inadvertent) with cleats up is always going to warrant a red, if caught by the ref (or the VAR crew).

Reactions: BobPSU92

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
It's an unfortunate situation. Without VAR, the call on the field (yellow) would have stood. With VAR, the call was changed to a red.

Casemiro was unlucky, in as @LaJollaCreek mentions, he plays the ball and his foot rolls over the ball and into the opponent's shin, cleats first. But it's stressed over, and over, and over to soccer refs that every player is responsible for being in control of their actions, and also that striking an opponent with cleats up should always be a red card. It does not appear that Casemire attempted to injure his opponent, and it's obvious that he didn't simply miss the ball and and land on the opponent's shin. That said, it's pretty clear why the VAR officials buzzed down, and why after viewing the VAR replay the center ref changed the yellow to a red. Professional soccer players are responsible for being in control of their actions, and striking an opponent (even if inadvertent) with cleats up is always going to warrant a red, if caught by the ref (or the VAR crew).

Great display of sportsmanship there. Evidently Southampton didn’t think that it should have been a red card.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
TV schedule this weekend:

Saturday
11:00 am EDT -- Brentford vs. Leicester C (Peacock)
11:00 am EDT -- Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Leeds U (Peacock)
11:00 am EDT -- Aston Villa vs. AFC Bournemouth (Peacock)
11:00 am EDT -- Southampton vs. Tottenham Hotspur (USA Network)
1:30 pm EDT -- Chelsea vs. Everton (USA Network)

Sunday
10:00 am EDT -- Arsenal vs. Crystal Palace (USA Network)

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
@RyanSnyder -- blame me. I turn on the game around the 51 minute mark, notice that Everton is tied with Chelsea 0-0, decided that Everton's pink uni were ugly, and then within a minute Chelsea scores. smh

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I saw the Porro goal live, pow! It was quite a strike there, fellows.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
@RyanSnyder -- blame me. I turn on the game around the 51 minute mark, notice that Everton is tied with Chelsea 0-0, decided that Everton's pink uni were ugly, and then within a minute Chelsea scores. smh

How about that. Everton pulls out a tie with a goal in the 88th minute.

Chelsea is lucky I was not the ref. I would have called Havertz for stopping his motion during the PK. That's a card to him, and a FK for Everton (and no goal for Chelsea).

Alphabets

Oct 12, 2021
Reactions: LionJim

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Reactions: LaJollaCreek
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login