2023-24 PSU MBB Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
85,745
69,278
113
We're on the board in 2025 with a home grown Center. I never heard of The Phelps School. Has anyone seen this kid play?

Justin Houser - The Phelps School - Center (on3.com)

I've been on the campus, but I don't think I've been inside any of their buildings. It's right next to Malvern Prep.

It has a combination of boarding students (most of them) and day students (commuters) (about 30%). If I recall correctly, they are 6th grade through post-graduate. Oh, it's all boys.

The school is somewhat known for its really small class sizes, which allows a great deal of attention from the teachers. Many (I don't think all; not certain) of the students have a learning disability (usually rather minor), or just a nature that works best in a non-traditional classroom. Many of their students go to college, so the school is pretty popular with parents whose boys haven't done too well in a traditional school.

They also have put a good bit of effort into athletics, and have had their most success (I think) in basketball.

I've never seen Houser play -- I'm just giving some info on the school.
 
  • Like
Reactions: LionsAndBears

LionsAndBears

All-Conference
Dec 7, 2009
2,432
4,336
113
I've been on the campus, but I don't think I've been inside any of their buildings. It's right next to Malvern Prep.

It has a combination of boarding students (most of them) and day students (commuters) (about 30%). If I recall correctly, they are 6th grade through post-graduate. Oh, it's all boys.

The school is somewhat known for its really small class sizes, which allows a great deal of attention from the teachers. Many (I don't think all; not certain) of the students have a learning disability (usually rather minor), or just a nature that works best in a non-traditional classroom. Many of their students go to college, so the school is pretty popular with parents whose boys haven't done too well in a traditional school.

They also have put a good bit of effort into athletics, and have had their most success (I think) in basketball.

I've never seen Houser play -- I'm just giving some info on the school.

I appreciate it. I know a lot more than I did before. I thought it would be near Harrisburg given his hometown of Camp Hill. I don't know a lot about these prep schools. My best friend growing up got an athletic scholarship to go to The Hill School in 7th Grade but he got homesick after 1 year and returned to Reading. That's the extent of my knowledge of these type of institutions.
 

Erial_Lion

All-American
Nov 1, 2021
4,242
5,036
113
Up 18 at the half over the UConn alum team...Harrar is just as much fun to watch as I remember.
 
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 BWI Football What did Northwestern coach David Braun, Penn State players, say about the Wildcats' 34-13 win? 'I think we need to just get stuff going'
  2. 02 BWI Football Penn State Highs and Lows: A night to forget in Evanston
  3. 03 BWI Football Penn State-Northwestern takeaways: Lions' brutal first half, more bad Becht, too much to overcome in latest loss
  4. 04 BWI Football Everything Matt Campbell said after Penn State's second-straight loss to Northwestern
  5. 05 BWI Football WATCH: Penn State coach Matt Campbell's full news conference folllowing the Lions' loss to Northwestern