2024-2025 college wrestling offseason thread

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Let's discuss any non portal offseason news for Penn State and college wrestling here.

Reactions: hohmadw1978

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Recruiting question. Isn’t Marcus Blaze a Sr ? If so shouldn’t he be announcing really soon? He’s gotta be at the college he picks which I’m really hoping is PSU this summer. Be a huge pick up for us.

Gronky

Nov 10, 2021
As is the case with football, is today also the 1st day that colleges can contact '26 wrestling recruits? I realize it's at a much smaller scale, but do the PSU coaches send out things at midnight? Doesn't seem like Cael's thing, but I wasn't sure?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
As is the case with football, is today also the 1st day that colleges can contact '26 wrestling recruits? I realize it's at a much smaller scale, but do the PSU coaches send out things at midnight? Doesn't seem like Cael's thing, but I wasn't sure?

June 15th is the 1st day that wrestlers that will class of 2026 (students that just finished their sophomore year of HS) can be contacted by college coaches.

CS & company don't broadcast what they do with regards to recruiting, and there isn't a lot of media coverage of wrestling recruiting. Most of what we know about PSU recruiting (including their actions and tactics) comes from recruits talking after the fact about what CS did. There have been stories in past years of PSU contacting the recruit in the first few minutes after they can legally contact recruits. On the flip side, there are reports where it was days/weeks/months after the 1st day of legal contact before CS or an assistant contacted a recruit. @El_Jefe could probably speak with more specifics about what has been disclosed in past years about PSU contacting recruits on the 1st day of permissible contact. My understanding is that there isn't a set pattern that PSU's coaching staff employs.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Looks like Cael didn’t call at midnight

Are you sure ? Notice the #1 area is covered up. You do know that Cael sees Bo all the time now in the room. Bo has been training with the NLWC for U20 coming up.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Are you sure ? Notice the #1 area is covered up. You do know that Cael sees Bo all the time now in the room. Bo has been training with the NLWC for U20 coming up.
Click the link and view the pics... #1 Rutger, PSU#22.

Reactions: Parks22

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Im really hoping our wrestling donors step up in a big way for Marcus Blaze. Young man has beaten lighting Luke and even Ramos from Purdue in a tournament. Young man has a very good shot to be a 4 time National Champion and World Champion. He has us in his top 3 right now. Let’s go Cael and staff. Having RBY back in the room will definitely help. Will see here soon. He’s the only big stud in his class that hasn’t committed yet.

coastfan

Oct 26, 2021
He still has three years of eligibility? He won at 197 as a true frosh in March, 2021. 2024 was three more years. That’s four. Olympic redshirt year… Another redshirt year…is there a 7th year?

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
He still has three years of eligibility? He won at 197 as a true frosh in March, 2021. 2024 was three more years. That’s four. Olympic redshirt year… Another redshirt year…is there a 7th year?
I assume the COVID year is how, but yeah that caught my eye too.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

2021 - he won NCAAs, but that was a COVID year for all wrestlers
2022 - he wrestled then got injured, so that's year 1 of eligibility
2023 - he took an Olympic redshirt

That's how he has 3 years of eligibility remaining

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
2021 - he won NCAAs, but that was a COVID year for all wrestlers
2022 - he wrestled then got injured, so that's year 1 of eligibility
2023 - he took an Olympic redshirt

That's how he has 3 years of eligibility remaining
Multiple free years.
Covid
Injury hardship? He had the car crash and didn't wrestle conference or NCAAs
Redshirt
Olympic shirt

Last edited:

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Wrestled 10 matches before car crash so possible medical shirt. Not sure of the threshold of medical shirt.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
@El_Jefe could probably speak with more specifics about what has been disclosed in past years about PSU contacting recruits on the 1st day of permissible contact. My understanding is that there isn't a set pattern that PSU's coaching staff employs.
Generally, Cael calls his top targets on the first day. That could be at any time, and he targets fewer guys than the fans imagine. After the midnight Suriano visit, lots of coaches now make midnight calls, so whatever advantage no longer exists.

Not calling Bassett until Day 2 might have been because Keegan Bassett (and presumably more of the family) spent Day 1 at Pan Ams in El Salvador.

Also, Cael makes initial contact with the top targets. He called Anthony Knox directly, didn't delegate to Bobby Telford ... from the University of Iowa.

Latest posts