2024 Paris Olympics thread

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I didn’t see an official or unofficial thread.

Argentina v. Morocco men’s soccer on USA now. 2-0, Morocco, 64th minute. o_O

Reactions: LionJim

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Still 2-1, Morocco. They are showing 15 minutes of stoppage time, and the announcers are confused by and doubtful of that.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
F*cking ridiculous. Argentina ties it past 15 minutes of stoppage time. Credit to Argentina for putting the pressure on Morocco, but they should never have played 15+ minutes of stoppage time.

Final is 2-2.

EDIT: The match was suspended at 2-2 in stoppage time due a fan invasion. Long after that, the tying goal was disallowed by VAR. The match resumed two hours later in an empty stadium, and Morocco won, 2-1. Unreal.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Shadow99

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
F*cking ridiculous. Argentina ties it past 15 minutes of stoppage time. Credit to Argentina for putting the pressure on Morocco, but they should never have played 15+ minutes of stoppage time.

Final is 2-2.
Don't lay on the ground in extra time and allow the official to add more time....somehow teams never learn from this.

• Haha
Reactions: Tgar and LionJim

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
We're doing the whole Qatar extra time in these matches. North of 10 minutes for the 3 that I saw end....wow.

Bones80

Oct 19, 2021
US and France 0-0 at half. U23 squads. Do the A teams pass on the Olympics?

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
US and France 0-0 at half. U23 squads. Do the A teams pass on the Olympics?
Men's soccer is a U23 competition, where 15 of the 18 need to be age-eligible, and 3 can be overage players. It's just not realistic in the current construct of the Soccer calendar to have full national teams.

Reactions: Bones80 and LionJim

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Final is 2-2.

EDIT: The match was suspended at 2-2 in stoppage time due a fan invasion. Long after that, the tying goal was disallowed by VAR. The match resumed two hours later in an empty stadium, and Morocco won, 2-1. Unreal.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
France up 1-0 after 64
France 2-0 USA, just now, 69’. It was a very good strike but he should have been more strongly pressured, it seemed to me that everyone was waiting for him to shoot.

Last edited:

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Are these real games or matches or whatever, like Olympic games? I thought it started on Friday?

• Haha
Reactions: razpsu

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I still think that keeping stoppage time a referee's secret is stupid. Better yet, just have the ref stop the clock when play stops and start it again when play resumes.

It's not that simple. By rule, if a team is on an offensive thrust, the ref has to let them play it out. And if on that thrust, they get a corner kick, then they play that out, etc. This offensive sequence can start when the ref has reached the "end" of time, and can take 3-4 minutes (or longer) depending on how long the team on the offensive thrust controls the ball. In short, there isn't a hard, set time when play must be ended. (I should also add in the above scenario, the ref will usually stop/end the match if the team in the lead is on the offensive thrust when the ref's watch reaches the end of stoppage time.)

In the US, in high schools that follow NFHS rules for soccer (which almost every state does), time is treated how you suggested. The clock is stopped for 1) each goal, 2) any card given, 3) an injury that requires a trainer to attend to a player, etc. The time is supposed to be displayed (so the players, coaches, and fans can see it, though that doesn't always happen), and the displayed time is the official time. When the clock gets to 0:00, the match is over. The only exception is if a shot is in the air when the clock reaches 0:00. If it enters the goal after 0:00 is reached, it's a score.

FWIW, in high level matches (World Cup, Olympics, Premier League, etc.) the center ref does have a timer on their watch that they start and stop to record the total stoppage time. In addition, they will also communicate via the headset with the 4th official to start and stop the recording of stoppage time.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Final in Men’s Rugby 7s:

Samoa 26, Kenya 0

A$$. BEATING. o_O

I don’t understanding what I‘m watching, but when someone scores a “touchdown” (only five points 🙄), they just put the ball down on the ground and walk away. No spiking, no dancing, no putting their face in a camera, no other stupid sh|t. They act like they’ve been there before. Refreshing.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I’ll do my best to let the thread know what’s coming up at what time. No spoilers! I imagine that we’ll be seeing Katie Ledecky on our prime time, hours after the actual race.

Katie Ledecky is my cousin’s neighbor and she would babysit my cousin’s kids. I’m told KL is a wonderful human being.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Final in Men’s Rugby 7s:

Samoa 26, Kenya 0

A$$. BEATING. o_O

I don’t understanding what I‘m watching, but when someone scores a “touchdown” (only five points 🙄), they just put the ball down on the ground and walk away. No spiking, no dancing, no putting their face in a camera, no other stupid sh|t. They act like they’ve been there before. Refreshing.
I think you have to put (not drop or throw it) the ball on the ground in the endzone (I don't think it is called an endzone in rugby, but who knows) to get the points. If you do not, it is not a score. Possibly a turnover. I haven't watched rugby in many years. I remember it really was not that complicated of a game. At least for the basics. Just beat the crap out of the other team and move the ball down the field.

Reactions: BobPSU92

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
huh, tks had no idea they can play games before NBC starts their coverage
Prelim rounds of various team tournament sports with qualifying for the knockout stage. Team USA plays three games in their group of four. Apparently some of these tournaments are going to take two weeks or more.

Reactions: ApexLion

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Maybe not in soccer. But strange things have happened in the olympics. Think of the 1972 olympics when the ussr basketball team beat us. End of game was kind of fishy.
Kinda fishy?

Think fish market at the end of a hot summer day with no power fishy....

Reactions: Psu00 and Bison13

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I don't think the Argentina-Morocco game was fishy at all...it was just poor communication as to what was happening (and a breakdown in security). The officials handled it in the manner that they needed to. (and not having announcers on site to report on what was happening certainly didn't help)

Reactions: LionJim

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Spain v. Japan women’s soccer on USA now. Amazingly, this is the first Olympics appearance for Spain in women’s soccer.

0-0 early.

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
FWIW, I was in Paris two weeks ago... having walked along the Seine and, understanding what they want to pull off for opening ceremony, it could be spectacular. The issue is the infinitely more difficult job of securing such an open area vs a stadium. You need to hand to to Macron, he definitely has a lot of Napoleon in him. The grandiosity of the French is an amazing thing. Unfortunately the French are the only people in the world that do not know that the French have been irrelevant since 1815.

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
FWIW, I was in Paris two weeks ago... having walked along the Seine and, understanding what they want to pull off for opening ceremony, it could be spectacular. The issue is the infinitely more difficult job of securing such an open area vs a stadium. You need to hand to to Macron, he definitely has a lot of Napoleon in him. The grandiosity of the French is an amazing thing. Unfortunately the French are the only people in the world that do not know that the French have been irrelevant since 1815.
They scaled that plan way, way back according to my Parisian friends. Originally I think they planned to let hundreds of thousands watch along the banks of the river but quickly realized that would be a security nightmare, so apparently now it's ticketed and the max quantity available is much lower than they originally wanted.

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
huh, tks had no idea they can play games before NBC starts their coverage
NBC coverage is crap. They show maybe 5% of Olympic events and almost nothing that doesn't involve USA athletes. They only focus on ratings, so they show the events that draw US eyeballs and even then show most of it on a delay which in the internet era doesn't work, as all of the results are known before NBC decides to broadcast it. I was overseas once during an Olympics and the coverage was so refreshing. Live coverage of almost all events, all countries. So much better.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
NBC coverage is crap. They show maybe 5% of Olympic events and almost nothing that doesn't involve USA athletes. They only focus on ratings, so they show the events that draw US eyeballs and even then show most of it on a delay which in the internet era doesn't work, as all of the results are known before NBC decides to broadcast it. I was overseas once during an Olympics and the coverage was so refreshing. Live coverage of almost all events, all countries. So much better.
With Peacock, every event can be watched live.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Agree on NBC is crap and what he said about Peacock, although I'm probably like most Americans -- I just turn it on and wait for whatever they show me. I'm not sure I've ever known what was coming unless it was Winter Olympics hockey in 1980.

Reactions: Psu00 and LionJim

Latest posts