2024 Paris Olympics thread

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I guess I’ll be hopping on the ‘cock a lot over the next two weeks. Once I’m on, I may never get off.
Not that there is anything wrong with that.

not that there's anything wrong with that seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I guess I’ll be hopping on the ‘cock a lot over the next two weeks. Once I’m on, I may never get off.
I was disappointed to learn during the US Open that they only allow 3 cocks at a time...tried a 4th, and got an error that I'm restricted. I'll have to limit my viewing to 3 TVs on Peacock, and a 4th on a traditional channel.

Reactions: BobPSU92

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Sam Coffey and Alyssa Naeher both starting today for the USWNT today against Zambia...0-0 in the 14th minute now on USA.

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
They scaled that plan way, way back according to my Parisian friends. Originally I think they planned to let hundreds of thousands watch along the banks of the river but quickly realized that would be a security nightmare, so apparently now it's ticketed and the max quantity available is much lower than they originally wanted.
For sure, but they have still erected stands along the river and on the main bridges. Security is basically blocking off unfettered access to the entire area and will have tight controls over who is allowed inside perimeter. But the spectacle of the entire event is really audacious.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Live coverage of the opening ceremonies today at 1:30 PM ET on NBC, streaming on Peacock.

Reactions: Midnighter

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
Makes no sense. Many Americans are still at work. They should have the opening ceremonies at 7:30 p.m. EDT, 1:30 a.m. in France. France used to support us. For f*ck’s sake.
I thought I saw they were replaying the opening ceremony at 7:30 tonight.

Reactions: Midnighter

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
Makes no sense. Many Americans are still at work. They should have the opening ceremonies at 7:30 p.m. EDT, 1:30 a.m. in France. France used to support us. For f*ck’s sake.
WTF… 130?? I still have 9 holes to play!

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Make sure you spit on that thang first.
I was disappointed to learn during the US Open that they only allow 3 cocks at a time...tried a 4th, and got an error that I'm restricted. I'll have to limit my viewing to 3 TVs on Peacock, and a 4th on a traditional channel.
Maybe if you spit on that thang you'll get a 4th.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I missed the athlete batou mouche parade but did catch the ‘cauldron’ lighting - coolest since Lillehammer IMO. WOW.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I’ve mentioned that my nephew came close to going to Paris (archery), but no cigar. My heart ached for him while I was watching the opening ceremonies but my sister just now told me he want to IMAX with his coach to watch. I feel better!

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
It's not that simple. By rule, if a team is on an offensive thrust, the ref has to let them play it out. And if on that thrust, they get a corner kick, then they play that out, etc. This offensive sequence can start when the ref has reached the "end" of time, and can take 3-4 minutes (or longer) depending on how long the team on the offensive thrust controls the ball. In short, there isn't a hard, set time when play must be ended. (I should also add in the above scenario, the ref will usually stop/end the match if the team in the lead is on the offensive thrust when the ref's watch reaches the end of stoppage time.)

In the US, in high schools that follow NFHS rules for soccer (which almost every state does), time is treated how you suggested. The clock is stopped for 1) each goal, 2) any card given, 3) an injury that requires a trainer to attend to a player, etc. The time is supposed to be displayed (so the players, coaches, and fans can see it, though that doesn't always happen), and the displayed time is the official time. When the clock gets to 0:00, the match is over. The only exception is if a shot is in the air when the clock reaches 0:00. If it enters the goal after 0:00 is reached, it's a score.

FWIW, in high level matches (World Cup, Olympics, Premier League, etc.) the center ref does have a timer on their watch that they start and stop to record the total stoppage time. In addition, they will also communicate via the headset with the 4th official to start and stop the recording of stoppage time.

1. I get that is the rule, but it is a stupid rule. Either a match is 90minutes or it isn’t.
  2. My biggest complaint is that the amount of stoppage time is kept secret among the officials. Best to have everything visible and above board.
  3. Better yet, just stop the damn clock when the play on the field stops.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I just realized that if you don’t want spoilers you need to stay off your phone, period.

Reactions: Psu00

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
NBC coverage is crap. They show maybe 5% of Olympic events and almost nothing that doesn't involve USA athletes. They only focus on ratings, so they show the events that draw US eyeballs and even then show most of it on a delay which in the internet era doesn't work, as all of the results are known before NBC decides to broadcast it. I was overseas once during an Olympics and the coverage was so refreshing. Live coverage of almost all events, all countries. So much better.
NBC is showing over 5000 hours of live coverage on multiple channels. Where were you when you saw more than that? Yes, you are more likely to see an American kayaker and miss Namibia vs Kazakhstan in team handball but they have to pay the bills.

Reactions: manatree

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
Good point, it’s not as if the French have to work

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
My wife (#4) claims there are 30 athletes from PSU representing not only the USA, but many other countries.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Men’s Basketball team was very sharp today.
Beat Serbia and Jokic by over 20. Very sharp indeed. This is a good team. Holiday, White, Adebayo are 100% winners. KD was 8/9, 5/5 from 3. Booker put the game away late. LBJ had a great game, such an intelligent player, a great passer. Very enjoyable watch.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Beat Serbia and Jokic by over 20. Very sharp indeed. This is a good team. Holiday, White, Adebayo are 100% winners. KD was 8/9, 5/5 from 3. Booker put the game away late. LBJ had a great game, such an intelligent player, a great passer. Very enjoyable watch.

A$$. BEATING. o_O

Latest posts