2024 Phillies Thread

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
Yeah I don't blame Alvarado for that one. 98 inside (off the plate). kwan just got around on it. was a good pitch. The real pitching issue was Allard missing his spot bad on that 3 run shot.

fearson05

Oct 19, 2021
That was one of the most painful sports fandom experiences of my life watching wheeler fall apart like that with my yankee fan wife and her friend making fun of my son and I all night long. When I bought the tickets in May I thought it would at least be a decent game... They really need to do something to turn things around. Still the best record in baseball, but on this trajectory (losing series after series) they are looking at fighting for a wild card with a win total in the mid 80s.

I know I am a very pessimistic sports fan, but... between philly 4 sports and psu football over the last 36 years (before I was 6 doesn't count) I've witnessed 2 championships in 180 sports seasons.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I have seen a few baseball insiders say the Phillies gave up too much to get him. We will see.

they gave up two pitching prospects that had really stepped up this season. It was a tad steep, but neither of the prospects were top 5 in the Phillies farm system.

In reading the analysis, I've seen several reports that based on the opinions of scouts from several teams, the Fightins have the best overall roster. Their 'pen was a bit of a problem, so Estevez is a welcome addition. if the Fightins win the WS, and Estevez plays a prominent role in their getting the title, the trade will seem brilliant.

The other part of the evaluation is that Estevez will be a FA at the end of this season. Plus, his control this year is the best it's been in his MLB career. If the Fightins don't win a WR and then don't resign Estevez, it may seem like they gave up too much. If he's successful this year, and the Phils resign him, but he reverts to his norm in terms of control in future years, that could also make the trade look so-so (depending on how the prospects do).

I don't like giving up prospects. But, this team is designed to win now, and a WS title would make the trade of almost any prospect worth it, IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadow99

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I have seen a few baseball insiders say the Phillies gave up too much to get him. We will see.

Klassen looked great in single A this year. So did Griff McGary two years ago.

Don’t overthink it. I used to do that all the time. This is still our year. Sure, they haven’t played great since London, but even with that said, they’re 20-21 since then and have grown their lead in the NL East.

The Dodgers are 10-10 in their last 20 played. The O’s have struggled a bit this month. The Yanks have struggled. A bunch of good teams are hitting a wall right now. We’ll be good.

I love the Estevez trade. More arms the better.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I’m also happy they didn’t go for Luis Roberts. Sure, when he’s on, he’s great, but he’s hurt way too much. He’s also batting .237 over the past month, .163 over the past two weeks.

In 204 at bats this year, he’s hitting .221. I feel like everyone I read on Twitter is hyping him up way too much. I would take him for some of our Top 5-10 range prospects, but he’s not worth our core guys in Miller, Painter and Crawford. Maybe Saba because he’s so young, but I’m happy they kept that core there.

Keyser Soze 16802

Oct 12, 2021
interesting. Soto was good at times, yet one of the relievers I had the least amount of trust in (cause he could also be pretty bad).

So in the bullpen, the Fightins traded away Seranthony and Soto, and added Estevez and Banks. On paper, it looks to be an improvement.
SD and GS couldn't be trusted in high leverage situations. Hopefully these new guys can!

Latest posts