2024 Phillies Thread

jp3272

Dec 26, 2021
I love the Phillies but with the 4th highest payroll in baseball they should win.
The final cost of the New York Mets' sorry 2023 season has been totaled: $420 million. Major League Baseball finalized its payroll figures for last year, and the Mets finished at a record $319.5 million. The Mets' Opening Day payroll in 2023 was a record for any team in the four major sports in the United States.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Can someone explain to me why the Phillies aren’t all in for the top spot and a first round bye? Why are they pitching Banks tonight? I get the concept, but haven’t they learned their lesson with pitching Allard, Walker, etc. the past few weeks? I am fearing that they only have 2 productive pitchers for the playoffs and that will be exposed pretty quickly. Ranger isn’t the same guy and I’m not sure I trust Sanchez as the #3 guy.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
Can someone explain to me why the Phillies aren’t all in for the top spot and a first round bye? Why are they pitching Banks tonight? I get the concept, but haven’t they learned their lesson with pitching Allard, Walker, etc. the past few weeks? I am fearing that they only have 2 productive pitchers for the playoffs and that will be exposed pretty quickly. Ranger isn’t the same guy and I’m not sure I trust Sanchez as the #3 guy.
I’ll try to answer. The party line is that the #2 position is desired since it gets them a bye and there is no certainty that the #1 seed will ultimately advance. Therefore, there is the chance that the #2 seed will still enjoy home field in the NLCS. I understand that having the #1 seed will ensure home field so the logic is slightly half baked.

The real reason though is the Padres and avoiding them at all costs. They were 50-50, they are now 90-66. The #1 seed likely draws the winner of the Pads and say Mets and that would be the Dodgers drawing them. The Phillies would draw the winner of say MIL/AZ.

I can buy in and if you have to play 4 in LA to avoid SD, so be it. I think it’s important though to have home field against say the Yankees. At the least, I think you want #2 seed in NL and better record over AL top dog.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Who would you have pitched tonight?

Reactions: PSUAVLNC

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Phillies are in a bad place headed into the playoffs, they need a third starter who gives them at least a chance to win.
I’m happy with the quartet of Wheeler, Nola, Suárez, and Sanchez. I try not to lose sight of the fact that every playoff team feels their pitching could be a bit better. Nobody has three or four #1 pitchers sitting around the dugout. Playoff baseball can produce unlikely heroes so it’ll be fun to watch.

PSUAVLNC

Oct 28, 2021
I’m happy with the quartet of Wheeler, Nola, Suárez, and Sanchez. I try not to lose sight of the fact that every playoff team feels their pitching could be a bit better. Nobody has three or four #1 pitchers sitting around the dugout. Playoff baseball can produce unlikely heroes so it’ll be fun to watch.
No argument there, but most playoff teams do have at least three decent starters that can win. If the Phillies have an Achilles heal its starting pitchers 3 and 4.

Reactions: NittPicker