2024 Phillies Thread

Relayer

Oct 12, 2021
Wow, Mets with a 6 spot in the 8th. This would be the perfect scenario for the Padres if the Braves have to burn Sale and Schwellenbach today.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Wow, Mets with a 6 spot in the 8th. This would be the perfect scenario for the Padres if the Braves have to burn Sale and Schwellenbach today.
That was an amazing game. The Braves stormed back to retake the lead only to have Lindor smack a 2-run bomb for the Mets. Mets win 8-7 and clinch a WC berth. The second game should be interesting with all the bullpen action in game 1.

Relayer

Oct 12, 2021
That was an amazing game. The Braves stormed back to retake the lead only to have Lindor smack a 2-run bomb for the Mets. Mets win 8-7 and clinch a WC berth. The second game should be interesting with all the bullpen action in game 1.
Sure looks like the Mets are mailing in game 2. Swinging at everything and making Holmes look like Bob Gibson. No hits and 45 pitches in 4 innings. Can't blame them, much rather go to Milwaukee than San Diego.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
They may but whats confusie is is there anyway they can come to our side of the bracket?

as I watch my birds I’m becoming over invested in the phils and I’m starting to lose my Schit

Relayer

Oct 12, 2021
Not looking good for the DBacks, 3-0 Braves. The irony is Arizona won 5 fewer games last year and went to the World Series. They also will finish with a better record than half the playoff teams in the American League.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Call me a traditionalist, but I hated it when they switched to All-Star uniforms for each team. Thankfully, there are reverting back to how it was for decades.

Reactions: Alphalion75

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
For the 2024 regular season, their record per month:

March: 1-2
April: 19-9
May: 20-7
June: 15-11
July: 10-14
August: 15-13
September: 15-11

Relayer

Oct 12, 2021
I guess Milwaukee is not a great baseball town. Tix for today's game on Stubhub going for $11. I can't find Phils tix for less than $220. I was denied doing the lottery.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
An interesting start to the post season and what it could mean to the Phillies-

1- I am always fascinated with the shift from starter importance to bullpen importance in the post season. I found it refreshing that in 3 of the games today, you saw the starters go deep into the game. These did not turn into post season bullpen games.

The Phillies and Topper leaned heavily on their starters and their model was to let them go deep. Will Thomson follow this in the post season or feel he needs to lean more heavily on a deep bullpen. I think it’s safe to say that Wheeler has a LOT more leash than Nola/Sanchez/Ranger. I also believe that he will have a very quick hook with starters other than Wheeler.

1a- If Topper is more inclined to rely on the pen, either more pitchers appear or innings are stretched. Does he have confidence to use Alvarado and Ruiz or do the main pen pieces suddenly pitch more than just one inning? Do Hoffman and Matt see multiple inning situations?

I think 1/1a are the critical strategic decisions facing the Phillies. You won’t get the answer in Game 1 with Wheeler but you’ll get a view with #2-4 starters early on and what the approach may be. If the Phillies go deep, I think that Kerkering has to be a key piece in this both from workload and effectiveness of his workload.

#2- I’ve beat the OF issue up previously, but I’m more convinced than before that Rojas has to be in CF. He is the one OF piece who can impact the outcome of a game. Hays physical issues might make this an easy decision, but I think Rojas has to be your CF’er.

#3- These games often are decided by a big swing. You don’t piece together a number of hits against quality pitchers so I think the games turn on big swings. This has normally been Harper time but I’m a tad concerned about Harp. I think the big swings are more likely from Schwarber and Nick. Turner and Bohm are the wild cards here, it bodes well if either of these guys show more power in the post season. I’d like to see Turner run more when he’s on base, same with Stott and Marsh.

#4- So much of the post season often finds a surprise player making a big contribution. It would not shock me at all if Clemens or Wilson winds up in a spotlight moment.

Let’s turn it up!

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

CaseStudy

Oct 5, 2022
An interesting start to the post season and what it could mean to the Phillies-

1- I am always fascinated with the shift from starter importance to bullpen importance in the post season. I found it refreshing that in 3 of the games today, you saw the starters go deep into the game. These did not turn into post season bullpen games.

The Phillies and Topper leaned heavily on their starters and their model was to let them go deep. Will Thomson follow this in the post season or feel he needs to lean more heavily on a deep bullpen. I think it’s safe to say that Wheeler has a LOT more leash than Nola/Sanchez/Ranger. I also believe that he will have a very quick hook with starters other than Wheeler.

1a- If Topper is more inclined to rely on the pen, either more pitchers appear or innings are stretched. Does he have confidence to use Alvarado and Ruiz or do the main pen pieces suddenly pitch more than just one inning? Do Hoffman and Matt see multiple inning situations?

I think 1/1a are the critical strategic decisions facing the Phillies. You won’t get the answer in Game 1 with Wheeler but you’ll get a view with #2-4 starters early on and what the approach may be. If the Phillies go deep, I think that Kerkering has to be a key piece in this both from workload and effectiveness of his workload.

#2- I’ve beat the OF issue up previously, but I’m more convinced than before that Rojas has to be in CF. He is the one OF piece who can impact the outcome of a game. Hays physical issues might make this an easy decision, but I think Rojas has to be your CF’er.

#3- These games often are decided by a big swing. You don’t piece together a number of hits against quality pitchers so I think the games turn on big swings. This has normally been Harper time but I’m a tad concerned about Harp. I think the big swings are more likely from Schwarber and Nick. Turner and Bohm are the wild cards here, it bodes well if either of these guys show more power in the post season. I’d like to see Turner run more when he’s on base, same with Stott and Marsh.

#4- So much of the post season often finds a surprise player making a big contribution. It would not shock me at all if Clemens or Wilson winds up in a spotlight moment.

Let’s turn it up!
#1. This was the first season in decades that I've had the opportunity (and interest) to watch almost every Phillies game and one thing that has really bothered me is Thomson's reluctance to allow a bullpen guy to go more than an inning in the later stages of a competitive game when that guy has obvious good stuff and is getting quick outs. It's not a match-up thing either. When Kerkering is locked in and throwing strikes, just ride him for a couple innings, he's got the best stuff in the pen.
#2. I've warmed on Rojas a bit, but if he starts out with an 0 for by chasing off-speed pitches a foot off the plate in game 1, I hope they move him quicky into a late game defensive role. I'm very skeptical that he'll produce at the plate in the post season.
#3. More than a tad concerned with Harper. Seems obvious to me that his injuries are significantly affecting his bat speed. I can see him easily aggravating that elbow to the point where he can't do much. I think he's been protecting against that for the last 2 months and I was surprised he played at all after they clinched. It's too bad because I think we're going to see significantly less fireworks from the team this post season.
#4. Agree. My money is on Sosa.
#5. A huge key I think will be plate discipline. Stott has had a down year but I love how he works the count. I wish others had the same approach.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login