4th down blindside block call

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
Firsr of all, it was a weakass call. Shouldn't have even been flagged. But Should we have been given the 1st down after the mark off the penalty from the spot of the file? There was some discussion by the commentators on that. Doesnt matter the punt was perfect and it didnt hurt us. I was just curious.

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Firsr of all, it was a weakass call. Shouldn't have even been flagged. But Should we have been given the 1st down after the mark off the penalty from the spot of the file? There was some discussion by the commentators on that. Doesnt matter the punt was perfect and it didnt hurt us. I was just curious.
If its like the NFL definition It was the correct call. It’s about the direction of the blocker. He was facing toward his own goal. Has nothing to do with the guy being blocked. But Its hard to tell the ncaa definition. Looks like it may be different.

but yes it was enforced correctly. It’s like any other penalty. Not sure what Deuce was talking about.

Last edited:

HamSammich

Nov 9, 2016
I get it completely if the blocked person is leveled. You could tell that our guy pulled up and just brushed him off.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It was a ******** call. He clearly hit the DB in front of the shoulder pads. But, if that's the call, it's 15 yards from the spot and repeat 4th down. Deuce McAllister really showed his ignorance on that one.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It was a ******** call. He clearly hit the DB in front of the shoulder pads. But, if that's the call, it's 15 yards from the spot and repeat 4th down. Deuce McAllister really showed his ignorance on that one.
I had to mute the Deuce. I liked to watch him play in the pros... Not so much in college and do not care for his color observations of a football game.

Can you imagine the uproar if Anthony Dixon or Chris Relf was calling a RebBearShark game

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
That's been a clean hit for 100 years and there's no specific rule on the books today that would flag that play. "Safe Spaces" have now reached their Pu$$ified arms into football. Pig bear man needs to pay attention until he's out of bounds instead of lollygagging around looking at the ground. It's like you can't hit a guy unless he sees you before the hit. Our runner was still in bounds running for more yardage while Pig Bear Man was still in pursuit.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
That's been a clean hit for 100 years and there's no specific rule on the books today that would flag that play.
the current rule on illegal blindside blocks as written in Rule 12-2-7:

It is a foul if a player initiates a block when his path is toward or parallel to his own end line and makes forcible contact to his opponent with his helmet, forearm, or shoulder.

• Wow
Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
If its like the NFL definition It was the correct call. It’s about the direction of the blocker. He was facing toward his own goal. Has nothing to do with the guy being blocked. But Its hard to tell the ncaa definition. Looks like it may be different.

but yes it was enforced correctly. It’s like any other penalty. Not sure what Deuce was talking about.
NCAA rule says it must include “forcible contact”.

Ducking pulled up and barely touched him.

It was a terrible call!

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
angry paul rudd GIF

That call in one gif

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
NCAA rule says it must include “forcible contact”.

Ducking pulled up and barely touched him.

It was a terrible call!
That was definitely forcible contact. He took him pretty good. But 12-2-7 is the NFL rule

I think the ncaa still requires the block to come
From outside of the players vision which was Wyatt’s issue in that video. The Ark player could clearly see Ducking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
That was definitely forcible contact. He took him pretty good. But 12-2-7 is the NFL rule

From outside of the players vision which was Wyatt’s issue in that video. The Ark player could clearly see Ducking.
And our ball carrier was still in bounds attempting to get more yards. The player who indeed got leveled had just given up pursuit of the ball carrier less that 1/2 a second before the contact and seemed to have his head down not paying attention. Ducking threw a block on him because he WAS in pursuit of our ball carrier. Had the defender being paying attention, he would have been able to engage Ducking's hit and would not have had his A$$ leveled to the degree he did thus no flag would have been thrown. The flag seemed to be based on the outcome of the collision versus any rule.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I have no clue what forcible contact even means. Can you actually block somebody without forcible contact? He took it easy on him when he could have lit him up. That seems to me like conduct you should encourage. In hindsight, Ducking should have 17ing smoked him. Would have been the same call.

operch

Aug 22, 2012
Compare Duckling hit to hit in post #6 where no flag was thrown.

Both SEC games.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Good Watch. Just because a defender is focused elsewhere doesn't mean he can't be leveled as long as the blocker does not hit him from behind or make a helmet to helmet launch at him. The WR who laid the wood met him almost face to face like Ducking did. Not paying attention to your surroundings should not protect you from players you are not observing.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login