A New Super League proposal.....

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If that happens it will be because the SEC and Big 10 wants it to happen and they may be laying the framework with the up coming meeting on Partership.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
That is a lot of words to just propose the SEC, ACC, PAC12, BIG, XII & Big East all just re-form with slightly altered memberships. Also, it's not gonna happen. All these proposals fail to answer the most pressing question. Why should the people in power now make it so they are no longer in power or have diminished power?

Reactions: patdog

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Why in the world would the top 30, 40,50 whatever teams allow a private entity into their profits? They can go form this on their own.

Reactions: patdog

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
My only comment was I could live with it. We are in it, and in a decent division.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Every FBS team except like 3 is in it and we would basically see our revenue equalized to the Louisiana Techs and New Mexico States of the world. This would be terrible for Mississippi State.
No, there are 130 odd FBS teams. That has 72.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Super League isn't happening for a long, long time. People need to get over it. Just being negative for negativity's sake.

First of all, ain't nothing happening with the ACC for another decade.

Secondly, once the new schedules and rules get put in place for 2025, we're going to get a lot more P5 only games among the big 2. Like we said yesterday, likely a 9 game sked with 1 vs the other big 2, 1 vs. ACC/Big 12/PAC, and then one G5/everybody else. FCS likely goes away. Or something like that. And the blue bloods aren't really interested in playing 12 games against each other right now. The money isn't nearly enough to warrant it.

Thirdly, if they ever approach anything that remotely threatens the NFL, they'll get slapped hard.

And what if some 'disruptive' event happens, and the money doesn't just continue to go up up up for consolidation? That's more possible than many realize.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Super League isn't happening for a long, long time. People need to get over it. Just being negative for negativity's sake.

Secondly, once the new schedules and rules get put in place for 2025, we're going to get a lot more P5 only games among the big 2. Like we said yesterday, likely a 9 game sked with 1 vs the other big 2, 1 vs. ACC/Big 12/PAC, and then one G5/everybody else. FCS likely goes away. Or something like that. And the blue bloods aren't really interested in playing 12 games against each other right now. The money isn't nearly enough to warrant it.

Thirdly, if they ever approach anything that remotely threatens the NFL, they'll get slapped hard.

And what if some 'disruptive' event happens, and the money doesn't just continue to go up up up for consolidation? That's more possible than many realize.
Don't be so sure, especially about the ACC.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

I'm too lazy to go back and look but weren't people saying this a few years ago about some things we've already seen in the last couple of years ? I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm not doubting anything is possible at this point.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Don't be so sure, especially about the ACC.
I'm too lazy to go back and look but weren't people saying this a few years ago about some things we've already seen in the last couple of years ? I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm not doubting anything is possible at this point.
Let's say FSU and Clemson somehow find the money to get out early. So what? They'll go to the Big 12 and the ACC becomes slightly weaker. Or maybe they get into the SEC with less of a share, similar to Oregon and Washington. Then we're both at 18. It's still not some cataclysmic event.

But let's say the Big 2 do decide to pounce. They aren't going past 20. That's 6 spots up for debate (including the 2 above). The ACC then raids whoever below them, and they are still sitting right there with the Big 12 and Pac 12.

That will stabilize for a long time. Especially if they expand the playoff to 16.

Reactions: Dawgg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Let's say FSU and Clemson somehow find the money to get out early. So what? They'll go to the Big 12 and the ACC becomes slightly weaker. Or maybe they get into the SEC with less of a share, similar to Oregon and Washington. Then we're both at 18. It's still not some cataclysmic event.

But let's say the Big 2 do decide to pounce. They aren't going past 20. That's 6 spots up for debate (including the 2 above). The ACC then raids whoever below them, and they are still sitting right there with the Big 12 and Pac 12.

That will stabilize for a long time. Especially if they expand the playoff to 16.
It's not going to stabilize until there is a super league of some kind. That is coming and it's coming sooner rather than later. That's why I said I could live with the proposal above.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's not going to stabilize until there is a super league of some kind. That is coming and it's coming sooner rather than later. That's why I said I could live with the proposal above.
You can worry about stuff that won't happen in our lifetimes if you want, but I'm not wasting time on it.

Of course, you probably still wear masks, so eh.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
You can worry about stuff that won't happen in our lifetimes if you want, but I'm not wasting time on it.

Of course, you probably still wear masks, so eh.
I still wear masks every workday.......just like I have for nearly 40 years. Now outside of work and occasionally while mowing the yard, not in a while. I just flew on vacation too. Now I do stay updated on the flu and COVID shots though. Got them about two weeks before I flew. I've been taking the flu shot for about that same 40 years, so that's nothing new for me. Ony you would bring up COVID in a thread like this now.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Let’s say FSU and Clemson are able to either outright get out of their grant of rights or reach some sort of agreement with the ACC that allows teams to leave.

The most cataclysmic thing that will happen is that FSU, Clemson, UNC, and maybe 2-4 more ACC teams get split between the SEC, Big Ten, and Big 12. The bottom 11-14 teams will remain the ACC and backfill with the G6, who will backfill with the FCS/other members of the G6 or they merge/dissolve.

So yes, the most extreme thing that will happen with an ACC grant of rights termination is that Conference USA may cease to exist.

Now… if the SEC and Big Ten start poaching members from each other… that’s when I think it’s time to panic.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think you're going to find out we're basically already at a stable equilibrium for a while (at least, once the musical chairs related to the Pac12 and Big12 are finished) because we basically have two super leagues and not a lot of incentives for the people in charge of them to further disrupt them, and there's not enough good programs left to join together and form a competing league.

There's not really a good way for the SEC or Big10 to increase their per school distribution without ejecting members. You can add a Florida State or UNC, but after you split it 16 or 18 ways, it really doesn't move the needle that much and it makes scheduling that much harder.

Certainly the blue bloods in the SEC and Big 10 could form a superleague and then pick up the best programs from outside the SEC and Big 10 to up their revenue share, but that's a big step and who is incentivized to push for that? The only people that can really get rich from it are TV execs; it's pretty much all risk and no upside for the people making the decisions. If you're at the top of the SEC or Big 10, do you really want to start a movement for a super league where you might be a loser?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Can we just give them Missouri?
I know we like to joke about them taking Missouri and Texas A&M, but having the Big Ten start taking SEC teams would be bad for us. The first conference between the SEC and Big Ten that can convince a team to defect is effectively on its way to being the “Power 1”. I’d much rather that be the SEC than the Big Ten. Us getting grandfathered in is a helluva lot more likely than us being invited.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I know we like to joke about them taking Missouri and Texas A&M, but having the Big Ten start taking SEC teams would be bad for us. The first conference between the SEC and Big Ten that can convince a team to defect is effectively on its way to being the “Power 1”. I’d much rather that be the SEC than the Big Ten. Us getting grandfathered in is a helluva lot more likely than us being invited.
I really don't think you've got much to worry about.

The SEC is a "brand" by itself. No one is leaving, unless the faggies can't get over their "butt hurt" from Tejas getting in. Although Missouri is as out of place as an elevator in a barn.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login