Anyone think Fox overpaid Brady as a color analyst.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
You're paid what the market will allow, but the market seems to have been foolish. I don't say that because he's awful, I haven't really listened to him yet. I say it because I cannot fathom that he will return the investment. How many additional eyes per game does he need to pull in order to increase ad revenue by an amount covering his salary? I don't know of a single person tuning in because he's announcing a game, so I just don't get the rationale from the TV execs that made the deal.
And how is the return calculated? Are more fans watching the game because Brady is part of the broadcast team or because of the matchup? Similarly, are fans staying away because the game is a stinker or because they can't listen to Brady?

I suspect that most fans are like me: they watch a game because it's an interesting pairing, irrespective of the people calling it.

So why is Fox paying so much for Tom Brady? Jock-sniffing, dick measuring? Some of it is the Murdoch's money, though I doubt they notice. I mean look at some of the women Rupert has married.

Last edited:

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
I've never heard an announcer/commentator/analyst in any sport better than the ones you get for pro tennis; John McEnroe and Martina Navratilova are elite when it comes to discussing strategy/tactics (Agassi too if you're ever lucky enough to hear him do some booth work). The insight is incredible; a lot of tennis players can remember exact moments/points/scenarios in a match where they noticed an opponents tendency or figured out their strategy, and hearing them dissect it is a far cry from what you get from most football players - which is not surprising since the coaches are the ones making the strategic/tactical decisions in football games whereas tennis players are usually doing it on their own (with some help from the coach).
My fav are the UFC boys. Rogan is the BEST

PSUHarry

Oct 7, 2021
So we're looking to Terrible Troy to provide insight into development as an announcer? That is funny.
Aikman has worked hard at everything he has done his whole life. He prepares meticulously for everything and has always tried to better himself. That’s all I’m saying. He’s done well and been on the air a long time and is respected. He and Buck are a solid tandem.

What’s your main beef with him?

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Aikman has worked hard at everything he has done his whole life. He prepares meticulously for everything and has always tried to better himself. That’s all I’m saying. He’s done well and been on the air a long time and is respected. He and Buck are a solid tandem.

What’s your main beef with him?
I don't doubt that Aikman is a fine person. He's painful to listen to.

As for Joe Fu@k, nuf said.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
And how is the return calculated? Are more fans watching the game because Brady is part of the broadcast team or because of the matchup? Similarly, are fans staying away because the game is a stinker or because they can't listen to Brady?

I suspect that most fans are like me: they watch a game because it's an interesting pairing, irrespective of the people calling it.

So why is Fox paying so much for Tom Brady? Jock-sniffing, dick measuring? Some of it is the Murdoch's money, though I doubt they notice. I mean look at some of the women Rupert has married.

I'm still waiting to hear from the first person in my life who says they're tuning in, or not tuning in, to a broadcast of any sporting event based on the announcers. Of course people like or dislike certain announcers, but I have never once heard of it impacting their viewing decision. Which makes the payments from these networks to these guys nonsensical. A fool and his money are soon parted, of course.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I'm still waiting to hear from the first person in my life who says they're tuning in, or not tuning in, to a broadcast of any sporting event based on the announcers. Of course people like or dislike certain announcers, but I have never once heard of it impacting their viewing decision. Which makes the payments from these networks to these guys nonsensical. A fool and his money are soon parted, of course.
I honestly tune out the people babbling about announcers as they basically are people who love to whine and be heard about it. Mute the TV and stop crying....it's honestly that simple. They are all canned cliche mouthpieces for the most part with folks in their ears spotting for them. A few do it better, but I cannot imagine thinking about their salaries or any other BS to be honest. If TB got paid...good on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
If I'm scanning through the radio stations and hear Bob Walk doing a Pirates game, I will listen for a few minutes. Other than that I am not listening or watching the Pirates at all. (I have met Bob a few times and he was always good to me.)

I guess I'm the first.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
If I'm scanning through the radio stations and hear Bob Walk doing a Pirates game, I will listen for a few minutes. Other than that I am not listening or watching the Pirates at all. (I have met Bob a few times and he was always good to me.)

I guess I'm the first.

I knew there had to be one! Guess that’s why Bob makes the big bucks!

• Haha
Reactions: SleepyLion

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Well, other than @BobPSU92 and Beth Mowins