ARK’s AD talking about NIL and Ole Miss

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
It’s pretty crazy asking the fans for $12M annually just for football. I can’t imagine where we will be in 5 years.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I don't get it....he says the rich folks are NOT helping the program.....but then says they've been incredibly generous. Hmmmmmm.

This is just fleecing the middle class, who many times, is dumb enough to fall for it.
That’s not what he said. He said that you can’t rely on just the rich families to do this alone.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That’s not what he said. He said that you can’t rely on just the rich families to do this alone.
I was being a smartass. I'm making fun of the sales job. Obviously he wants more money or he wouldn't be up there begging.

Problem is, though, getting back to the issue, is that it SHOULD be 80% borne by the rich. If you just do it based on sheer percentages, that number would bear itself out. I think the Tyson's and Walton's probably see the fallacy of NIL and don't feel like participating to a huge extent.

The schools with big NIL are the ones that have enough rich people that also WANT to buy players. I'm sure Ole Miss is doing it with numbers rather than a few elites like a Phil Knight, but those are not middle class numbers - those are pretty high upper class numbers.

True middle class people do their jobs by wearing merchandise, going to games, sending their kids to college at the school, etc. You'll never convince me that the Average Joes should be funding NIL, because there are other, better things needed with that funding. But hey, if they'll do it......

ETA: And before any wisecracking clown says it, NO - it's not like taxes, that are spent on the overall basic needs of society. This is buying players - a luxury.

And speaking of that.....a better sales pitch will be available in 2025, when those rosters sizes go up and the TV money starts funding football NIL. The sales pitch will be, "If you want to have a baseball/softball/tennis/etc. team, you better give".

Last edited:

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I love how the institutions and the upper crust move us regular folk out of the chair backs, lower levels, and courtsides to the bleachers and the nosebleeds, essentially saying “we don’t need yo broke asss” and then….

blame us for poor game day atmosphere and lackluster NIL performance saying “we need your money”

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I love how the institutions and the upper crust move us regular folk out of the chair backs, lower levels, and courtsides to the bleachers and the nosebleeds, essentially saying “we don’t need yo broke asss” and then….

blame us for poor game day atmosphere and lackluster NIL performance saying “we need your money”
I still don’t quite see how average Joes tie into NIL. The idea is paying for name, image, and likeness. In other words starring in ad spots for businesses and products. The people paying the money get something back. That is normal quid pro quo. How does a collective with no product factored in? Is Bulldog Collective money paid straight to players?

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
The Arkansas AD said in the full speech that their collective was supposed to set up charitable opportunities for the athletes receiving funds to contribute their time. He then said that it’s an absolutely ridiculous idea considering the amount of money paid by the collective for the minuscule service provided by the athletes. In other words, it’s just bullshi t.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I still don’t quite see how average Joes tie into NIL. The idea is paying for name, image, and likeness. In other words starring in ad spots for businesses and products. The people paying the money get something back. That is normal quid pro quo. How does a collective with no product factored in? Is Bulldog Collective money paid straight to players?
ADs understand and agree with us, deep down. But when your high-paying job is on the line, motivate the sheep any way you can.....

I wonder how much the coaches, ADs, staffers, etc. donate of their salaries to NIL? And since that's arbitrary and negotiable (i.e. they can make it a zero sum game by how they negotiate their contract), I wonder how many would be willing to donate on any one time basis to help that current year? Now THAT would put them on the spot.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
ADs understand and agree with us, deep down. But when your high-paying job is on the line, motivate the sheep any way you can.....

I wonder how much the coaches, ADs, staffers, etc. donate of their salaries to NIL? And since that's arbitrary and negotiable (i.e. they can make it a zero sum game by how they negotiate their contract), I wonder how many would be willing to donate on any one time basis to help that current year? Now THAT would put them on the spot.

It would be interesting to see contract incentives include payments to the NIL. For example, $100k payments to the NIL for each win over 8. $500k payment to the NIL for a bowl win. Matching funds paid by the head coach to the NIL up to a certain amount.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That's because it's not really nil. It's mislabeled pay for play. Kiffin and other coaches have been saying that out loud.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Rich people don't get rich by being idiots and investing in stuff that doesn't make them richer. Just think about that
That's why I laugh when people talk about 'investing' in the program. I mean El Oh El. This shlt ain't investing, it's an outright purchase. Discretionary spending. Consumerism. Entertainment. Ego. Etc.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That's why I laugh when people talk about 'investing' in the program. I mean El Oh El. This shlt ain't investing, it's an outright purchase. Discretionary spending. Consumerism. Entertainment. Ego. Etc.
Yes it's buying the daughter a pony for her birthday and throwing a big party.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
It’s pretty crazy asking the fans for $12M annually just for football. I can’t imagine where we will be in 5 years.

I know an ole miss family, none of who went there. Their combined family income is probably less than $75K. They brag about donating $200 a month. That's crazy. I know that they could be lying, but knowing them, I don't think that they are.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
That's because it's not really nil. It's mislabeled pay for play. Kiffin and other coaches have been saying that out loud.
Ok well I’m good with that but it just hasn’t been spelled out. If that’s true I can see why Charlie and others would be hesitant to say so in a public forum. Let’s get these fellas paid and win some ballgames!

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
That depends on which rich people we are talking about. You can bet your butt that plenty of “rich” people in Starkville and Oxford will get a decent ROI on players if the team is winning big and national interest is in town spending money in their businesses. Restaurants and merch vendors are the easy examples but there are plenty of others.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That depends on which rich people we are talking about. You can bet your butt that plenty of “rich” people in Starkville and Oxford will get a decent ROI on players if the team is winning big and national interest is in town spending money in their businesses. Restaurants and merch vendors are the easy examples but there are plenty of others.
That's true, certainly didn't think about that.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I was being a smartass. I'm making fun of the sales job. Obviously he wants more money or he wouldn't be up there begging.

Problem is, though, getting back to the issue, is that it SHOULD be 80% borne by the rich. If you just do it based on sheer percentages, that number would bear itself out. I think the Tyson's and Walton's probably see the fallacy of NIL and don't feel like participating to a huge extent.

The schools with big NIL are the ones that have enough rich people that also WANT to buy players. I'm sure Ole Miss is doing it with numbers rather than a few elites like a Phil Knight, but those are not middle class numbers - those are pretty high upper class numbers.

True middle class people do their jobs by wearing merchandise, going to games, sending their kids to college at the school, etc. You'll never convince me that the Average Joes should be funding NIL, because there are other, better things needed with that funding. But hey, if they'll do it......

ETA: And before any wisecracking clown says it, NO - it's not like taxes, that are spent on the overall basic needs of society. This is buying players - a luxury.

And speaking of that.....a better sales pitch will be available in 2025, when those rosters sizes go up and the TV money starts funding football NIL. The sales pitch will be, "If you want to have a baseball/softball/tennis/etc. team, you better give".
Could not agree more

The question that’s being advertised across the country is…. Will you, as a fan, please give what you can due to your love of the team?

The real question that’s being asked, however, is… Will you, as a fan, dig deep and give up a little from your middle class life so that our 18 year olds can get some jewelry and drive a nicer car than you’ll ever own?

It’s the reality of where we are, I get it, but it’s not a question that should be directed at the average fan

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
105 scholarship athletes with a $12M fan NIL is an average of over $114k per player on Arkansas’s team. They’re asking folks to give $100 a month so that a teenager/early 20s guy can be paid over $100k to play football, with free food, free housing, a free education, the best training facilities, the best trainers and physical therapists, etc. With all of the extra perks, the $114k is probably worth well over $200k.

I really don’t see how you sell the collective to the common, everyday fan who doesn’t have a household income over $100k and who has significant, normal expenses.

Reactions: thatsbaseball