Beaver Stadium Renovation Survey

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Got this yesterday to inquire about possible options and prices in regards to seating options and amenities. Just give me a regular chair back, escalator to the upper level, larger concourses, improved restrooms, and that will be fine.
Most options appear to be for the more “well-heeled” patrons, but no options on the survey for the “regular folks”.

Prices range from $2000 to $6000 per seat and appears to include parking, private entrances (if at that level), lounges, food and beverages, etc.

IMG_3723.jpegIMG_3724.jpeg

IMG_3725.jpeg

IMG_3726.jpeg

IMG_3727.jpeg
IMG_3728.jpegIMG_3729.jpeg

Last edited:

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Agree. I hope they don't get the responses needed to consider the very high end options. And what's the attraction of field level boxes?? I've seen them in NFL stadiums and the view has to suck. They also move "regular" fans further away from the field. I'm sure there will be some sort of mid level or upper level premium seating though.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
While I would be 100% interested in accessing any and all of those options, I will never be able to justify paying for that access. However, I wouldn't begrudge those willing to pay to enjoy those luxuries. I guess that's the reason for the survey - if 10,000 people say that they would gladly pony up $6000 for the experience, they would be silly not to make them available.

Sharkies

Nov 1, 2021
Jesus - these are bad, bad. I get wanting to upgrade the experience, but couple thoughts:

1. In-seat technology with screens - always poorly done. Think about how quick technology upgrades, and by the time you install all of them they already appear dated. Look at Septa down here with the Key program - they spent god knows how many millions and by the time they were installed, they couldn't even accept apple pay. Spend this money upgrading the in stadium wifi and cell coverage.

2. I appreciate an indoor area more than most (getting old) ... but these spaces are so wildly out of touch with a college stadium experience, that maybe I need to just forget about it.

3. Was hoping to see them keeping at least 1 trough bathroom, just for nostalgia purposes. I'll miss it.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Don't worry. Before they're done, you "regular folks" will be paying out the wazzu for your seats. Wiling to be that the prices cited do not include the mandatory contributions for the privilege of parking your a$$ in the new Beaver Stadium.

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
Jesus - these are bad, bad. I get wanting to upgrade the experience, but couple thoughts:

1. In-seat technology with screens - always poorly done. Think about how quick technology upgrades, and by the time you install all of them they already appear dated. Look at Septa down here with the Key program - they spent god knows how many millions and by the time they were installed, they couldn't even accept apple pay. Spend this money upgrading the in stadium wifi and cell coverage.

2. I appreciate an indoor area more than most (getting old) ... but these spaces are so wildly out of touch with a college stadium experience, that maybe I need to just forget about it.

3. Was hoping to see them keeping at least 1 trough bathroom, just for nostalgia purposes. I'll miss it.
Agreed. Do what Baylor did and create a great Wifi experience so people can use their devices to watch. Putting in any kind of screen will be obsolete in two years or so. And it is expensive.

LBUfanatic

Nov 1, 2021
Agree. I hope they don't get the responses needed to consider the very high end options. And what's the attraction of field level boxes?? I've seen them in NFL stadiums and the view has to suck. They also move "regular" fans further away from the field. I'm sure there will be some sort of mid level or upper level premium seating though.
Have you ever sat in one at a nfl stadium? I have been to the Orange Bowl twice with seats in the East Field Club. You are right in the end zone and the only people in front of you are media and game day officials, but the seats are elevated so there is no obstruction. No, you can’t do these on the sideline for obvious reasons, but to replace the current bleacher seating in the north end zone of the Beav with a field box would be a fantastic idea.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I responded yesterday and did not really care for the field level options. Some of these options are more than I would ever consider paying.

But some were appealing

Curious how the results pan out.

Reactions: bbrown

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Got this yesterday to inquire about possible options and prices in regards to seating options and amenities. Just give me a regular chair back, escalator to the upper level, larger concourses, improved restrooms, and that will be fine.
Most options appear to be for the more “well-heeled” patrons, but no options on the survey for the “regular folks”.

Prices range from $2000 to $6000 per seat and appears to include parking, private entrances (if at that level), lounges, food and beverages, etc.

View attachment 437617View attachment 437618

View attachment 437619

View attachment 437620

View attachment 437621
View attachment 437622View attachment 437623
I thought the Stadium was being renovated in State College. Didn't know it was being rebuilt in Dubai. :rolleyes:

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
As expected, full of luxury seating options with high prices. The stadium is going to lose cheap seats and replace them with suites and the like. Anyone that thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
While I would be 100% interested in accessing any and all of those options, I will never be able to justify paying for that access. However, I wouldn't begrudge those willing to pay to enjoy those luxuries. I guess that's the reason for the survey - if 10,000 people say that they would gladly pony up $6000 for the experience, they would be silly not to make them available.
Look at how much demand there was for that Tunnel Club. I don't understand the desire for paying exorbitant prices for 7 games a year, half of which could be in very blah weather. But I also don't have those kind of means where paying those prices isn't that big of a deal.

LBUfanatic

Nov 1, 2021
As expected, full of luxury seating options with high prices. The stadium is going to lose cheap seats and replace them with suites and the like. Anyone that thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.
The survey is about OPTIONS for additional luxury seating opportunities. Based on feedback, they will implement what they believe is doable from an ROI standpoint. Not all of those listed will be built. In fact, maybe none of them get built. But, the same people who ***** about a survey would ***** about them never asking for public input. You (and others) probably know that but why miss an opportunity to complain for the sake of complaining.

EPC FAN

Oct 7, 2021
After they finish the renovation, there will no longer be any cheap seats.
That’s why I will be on my own damn couch. I will watch until they ask me to pay per view, then I will be an ex-Penn State fan. I will stop buying merchandise for my grandchildren, too.

Reactions: step.eng69

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Neeli: “Muahaha! And they actually think we are going to issue an accountability report and freeze tuition!” 🤣
Guess The Fatman's consulting gig is yielding some results. "Promises!?! We don't need no stinking promises!!!"

Nittlionfan1991

Nov 2, 2021
Received the same survey. Answered every section that I would certainly be interested. Also, answered no whenever they put a price point on whatever amenity they were discussing. They were easily double or triple the amount I would be willing to spend.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021

That’s why I will be on my own damn couch. I will watch until they ask me to pay per view, then I will be an ex-Penn State fan. I will stop buying merchandise for my grandchildren, too.

I’m in need of a new couch, and after some window shopping, it appears that there are no cheap seats in the sofa section either.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
The survey is about OPTIONS for additional luxury seating opportunities. Based on feedback, they will implement what they believe is doable from an ROI standpoint. Not all of those listed will be built. In fact, maybe none of them get built. But, the same people who ***** about a survey would ***** about them never asking for public input. You (and others) probably know that but why miss an opportunity to complain for the sake of complaining.
Welcome to the BWI message board. If you have an even remotely happy thought, come here to get it squashed.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
FYI. I’m pretty sure Ohio State, and I’m sure others, required buying licensing agreements years ago like NFL teams do. This is fee for the right to purchase tickets. PSU renovating and potentially increasing prices shouldn’t come as big surprise.

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
In the end, while these specific seats will cost a fortune ( how many folks will really buy with the other available options already ? ) and everyone that buys season tickets will pick up a portion of the cost For these and any other upgrades planned.

They are really going to have to chase other money making opportunities with the stadium to justify some of this as well.

who buys the current suites when some of those folks move to the new sexier luxury options? Is there a waiting list currently to get the boxes on the east side or club seats in the south upper deck?

My guess is the season ticket base will take a significant hit and you will see advertising during games offering you the opportunity to rent a box and host your group.

Reactions: gslachta and bbrown

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
FYI. I’m pretty sure Ohio State, and I’m sure others, required buying licensing agreements years ago like NFL teams do. This is fee for the right to purchase tickets. PSU renovating and potentially increasing prices shouldn’t come as big surprise.
Perhaps you haven't purchased tickets in the past, but PSU and OSU - and many others - have all been doing the same thing for years, Obviously.
Some may call it "seat license", or whatever they want - but it is all the same model - "$X per year per seat for the right to buy the tickets". The price varying based on desirability of seat location.

Obviously, those prices will be going up.

Many NFL models (though they vary by team) are somewhat different - where they try to sell many of their seats with a large one-time long-term purchase (the customer taking out a mortgage, rather than paying rent, if you will)

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
In the end, while these specific seats will cost a fortune ( how many folks will really buy with the other available options already ? ) and everyone that buys season tickets will pick up a portion of the cost For these and any other upgrades planned.

They are really going to have to chase other money making opportunities with the stadium to justify some of this as well.

who buys the current suites when some of those folks move to the new sexier luxury options? Is there a waiting list currently to get the boxes on the east side or club seats in the south upper deck?

My guess is the season ticket base will take a significant hit and you will see advertising during games offering you the opportunity to rent a box and host your group.
There are a myriad of non-football events that PSU can host to raise revenue, but these things. including hosting a CFP game, don't bring in as much as many would think.

PSU will probably adopt the BOHICA method of ticket pricing. If you have any friends who are aTm ticketholders ask them fro a before-and-after perspective. Keep in mind that PSU will likely be taking on close to twice the debt load that TAMU did.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Perhaps you haven't purchased tickets in the past, but PSU and OSU - and many others - have all been doing the same thing for years, Obviously.
Some may call it "seat license", or whatever they want - but it is all the same model - "$X per year per seat for the right to buy the tickets". The price varying based on desirability of seat location.

Obviously, those prices will be going up.

Many NFL models (though they vary by team) are somewhat different - where they try to sell many of their seats with a large one-time long-term purchase (the customer taking out a mortgage, rather than paying rent, if you will)
Sorry. My mistake. The seating licensing is for their basketball arena. Imagine that, having enough bball fans that you can enact this?

LBUfanatic

Nov 1, 2021
There are a myriad of non-football events that PSU can host to raise revenue, but these things. including hosting a CFP game, don't bring in as much as many would think.

PSU will probably adopt the BOHICA method of ticket pricing. If you have any friends who are aTm ticketholders ask them fro a before-and-after perspective. Keep in mind that PSU will likely be taking on close to twice the debt load that TAMU did.
So you won’t be attending any games in the future? But, then again, given your propensity to simply cast stones at all things PSU, I assume you don’t attend games now.

Reactions: LB99

Iionscott

Oct 6, 2021
Not correct at least in beginning. For 2025, west side is getting renovated with premium options. East side seating will not be touched. Think it’s a smart plan. See how the premium options work on west side and then determine if more are needed on East.

When you say after they finish the renovation, This could be ongoing for a few years.

Reactions: Bison13 and Tgar

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
Couple things:

Setting aside, for the moment, the wisdom-ee-ness of spending $700 million to renovate 1/2 of a 60 year old stadium:

There is 0.0% chance (not even the Dumb and Dumber "So you're telling me there's a chance" chance) that any marginal net revenues realized by the renovation, to include more "premium" options, could pay the bill for such a renovation.

Even the stadium-consultant-and-design groups - who make their living convincing athletic programs to take on such ventures - couldn't come close to being able to present any such projections. Even if they stretched the projections like a blob of silly putty.
That is not even close.
FWIW, even at Texas A&M - where they redid the entire 100,000+ stadium, for 2/3 of the price of the PSU proposal, and pushed in "premium" until the place threw up - the marginal revenues there wouldn't come close to being self-funding. One can look it up.

Those are just the cold facts.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Couple things:

Setting aside, for the moment, the wisdom-ee-ness of spending $700 million to renovate 1/2 of a 60 year old stadium:

There is 0.0% chance (not even the Dumb and Dumber "So you're telling me there's a chance" chance) that any marginal net revenues realized by the renovation, to include more "premium" options, could pay the bill for such a renovation.

Even the stadium-consultant-and-design groups - who make their living convincing athletic programs to take on such ventures - couldn't come close to being able to present any such projections. Even if they stretched the projections like a blob of silly putty.
That is not even close.
FWIW, even at Texas A&M - where they redid the entire 100,000+ stadium, for 2/3 of the price of the PSU proposal, and pushed in "premium" until the place threw up - the marginal revenues there wouldn't come close to being self-funding. One can look it up.

Those are just the cold facts.
Why do I suspect the phrase “marginal net revenue” is completely lost on your peers ?

pap

Nov 1, 2021

View attachment 437617View attachment 437618

View attachment 437619

View attachment 437620

View attachment 437621
View attachment 437622View attachment 437623
OMG what the hell is this ?

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Not correct at least in beginning. For 2025, west side is getting renovated with premium options. East side seating will not be touched. Think it’s a smart plan. See how the premium options work on west side and then determine if more are needed on East.

When you say after they finish the renovation, This could be ongoing for a few years.
Do you think they're going to amortize in the neighborhood of $700mm of debt with only the added revenue from only the renovated half of the stadium? Maybe they learned lessons at the Barbour School of Debt Finance.

You make a valid point that seats on the east side won't be as expensive. I'd still expect there to be a noticeable increase in those sections as well.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
So you won’t be attending any games in the future? But, then again, given your propensity to simply cast stones at all things PSU, I assume you don’t attend games now.
Haven't been to a Penn State game for years (it's hardly a secret) and don't envisage that changing.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
Do you think they're going to amortize in the neighborhood of $700mm of debt with only the added revenue from only the renovated half of the stadium? Maybe they learned lessons at the Barbour School of Debt Finance.

You make a valid point that seats on the east side won't be as expensive. I'd still expect there to be a noticeable increase in those sections as well.
Yep. As they say, somethings gotta' give.

Even if, in the BEST case scenario, Big Ten football media revenue continues to rise like yeasty bread - and PSU is able to divert enough of that to maintain the annual debt service that is not covered by marginal net revenues - that will mean PSU is at a competitive disadvantage (even more so than today) to the OSU's and Michigan's of the world. The other guys will be able to use that media rights bounty to spend/invest in things that actually help them operate high-end athletics programs, rather than to feed that generational debt monster.
On the other hand, when/if the other shoe drops wrt revenue sharing with the players - or there is any interruption of the explosion of media rights revenue - or, heaven forbid, more folks start to say "$10,000 per year to take the kids to PSU football games? Uh, I'm gonna' watch the games from my living room." - then, as Joshua said in War Games, "Game Over"

It's math, and math doesn't lie (Not often, anyway. Right LionJim?).

Last edited:

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
The old adage in surveys is that people say one thing and do another!

SouthHalls410

Oct 27, 2021
And how much of the student section will they sacrifice?? It’s already expensive enough for students… I’m starting to sour on all of this. I’m also about maxed out trying to attend a game or 2 a year when we go visit our child up there.