Behind the scenes of the Pac-2 poaching MW

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Reactions: onewoof and Dawgg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
At this point, if you’re not getting an invite to the SEC or B1G, does it really make sense to move? I suppose G5 to Big 12 also makes sense.
Yes I don't understand. PAC whatever it is now is a g 5 conference no matter if they add teams from mountain west or aac. You get the old conference name without really any weight behind it. That would be like us and Ark and Vandy still calling our selves the SEC if all the big time money schools left. And then adding in Tulane Memphis south Alabama uab or something like that. You aren't the same conference

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
If they had USC or Oregon money still in the conference, then maybe you go, but how much bigger payday do you get with Oregon State and Wazzou State and a few other mormon reject universities?

patdog

May 28, 2007
It’s just a bulked up Mountain West.
Yep. I can understand maybe why the 4 MWC schools left, but not at the prices in the story. I strongly suspect the PAC-6's endgame plan is to not pay those buyouts, or at least only pay a fraction of them. I think they wind up getting 5 more MWC schools who join the 4 already leaving and pass a vote to disband the MWC and eliminate the buyouts.

Reactions: Dawgg

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
If I'm Memphis and Tulane, I'm staying where I am and holding out for Big 12 or maybe ACC. That's way too much travel for very little added benefit.
Look at the conference they are in now. It’s bad bad. Memphis apparently gets $5mil from TV money. Its has to increase significantly moving to the PAC. It’s not perfect but it’s way better than where they are now.

Plus the fact they didn’t make the Bgg12 this round kind of makes it feel like they have to go another route.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Look at the conference they are in now. It’s bad bad. Memphis apparently gets $5mil from TV money. Its has to increase significantly moving to the PAC. It’s not perfect but it’s way better than where they are now.

Plus the fact they didn’t make the Bgg12 this round kind of makes it feel like they have to go another route.
I can't imagine the new PAC-? will be any better than that. MWC is $3.5M per school, and the new PAC-? won't be much more than a re-brand of the MWC.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The Mountain West, sources said, felt protected by its bylaws and a poaching fee included in a football scheduling agreement it signed with the Pac-12 in December. To leave the conference, a school is required to pay roughly $18 million with two years of notice and $36 million with a one-year notice. And if the Pac-12 accepted a Mountain West school as a new member, the Pac-12 would be required to pay a $10 million fee, with escalators of $500,000 more for each additional school. (The four-school fee for Boise State, Colorado State, Fresno State and San Diego State is $43 million.)
At the time, the idea that in less than a year the Pac-12 would be willing to pay roughly $115 million for one-third of the Mountain West seemed unrealistic. For Mountain West leadership, that remained the case in July.
That is a crazy amount of money for 4 MW teams.

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
That is a crazy amount of money for 4 MW teams.
That’s why I think they’ll try to peel off at least 5 more MW teams in the next two years. If the MW membership has 9 members vote to dissolve, then it effectively kills the conference and theoretically any debts owed to it.

Reactions: patdog

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
This is really all about - CAN WE MAKE A HALWAY DECENT TV DEAL SOON WITH ANY GROUP OF TEAMS

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
I can't imagine the new PAC-? will be any better than that. MWC is $3.5M per school, and the new PAC-? won't be much more than a re-brand of the MWC.
I can’t imagine Memphis or Tulane moving for less or equal money. We’ll see very soon when some details leak