Brain Drain, In-State Job Opportunity, and... Jackson...

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I get what you're saying, BUT, what is the cost of living increase at the out-of-state position(s). Sure, I could go to Ft Collins, CO and make 2X as much as I do here, but I'm also looking at a 1/2 Million Dollar home vs 200K. So you're really no better off with that increased pay (aside from the terrain and geography of course).

Better up that by a $100k or more.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If you have to choose between doing what is best for your parents or your kids, pick your kids errytime. It may sound harsh, but you have to put your emphasis on the future, not the past. I know people living in the delta and struggling to pay for private school because, "that's were momma is."

I'd agree, but it is a huge benefit to have a grandparent to help with kids. Probably not enough to offset moving to the delta and probably taking a lower income and then having to pay for private school. But in general, we have spent a lot of money on childcare because of having no help. If we could have taken a few thousand dollars less a year and had that help, we'd have come out well ahead.

But yes, in general, I'd say better for the parents to move to the kids if the parents need help. It is really difficult though when the parent has health issues prior to being able to leave the work force (or one has health issues and the other needs to keep working at their current job).

msu86

Sep 17, 2015
I have lived in Mississippi my entire life except for 3 years in Hendersonville, TN while my wife finished some schooling. I’m a country boy. My weekends consist of hunting, fishing, or watching my kids play sports. My family owns land(like a 100 acres) and we lease more land for hunting(1100 acres). I can’t imagine being happy in another state away from family land. Even if its not hunting season, just taking the family on a 4 wheeler ride or working in the garden is what we love. I keep reading about “things to do”…..like what? Going to bars sucks..im 40 and over that for my life. Hiking? Got it right here. Shopping? Im a dude that hates it and just assume online shop.
I can’t imagine not living in Mississippi and being content unless i spent millions to buy a lot of land.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
I'm certain that I'm earning more in MS than if I had stayed in Huntsville my whole career. I may be a outlier, but I wouldn't describe my MS career opportunities as a cesspool.

You and I are in the same boat. It was either get stuck at the bottom end of the contracting totem pole at RSA or throw the dice on another opportunity in MS with upward potential that far outweighs the contract world. My career opportunities are very niche, but luckily it worked out because S. MS just happens to have that niche.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I get what you're saying, BUT, what is the cost of living increase at the out-of-state position(s). Sure, I could go to Ft Collins, CO and make 2X as much as I do here, but I'm also looking at a 1/2 Million Dollar home vs 200K. So you're really no better off with that increased pay (aside from the terrain and geography of course).

Out of curiosity, I looked to see what a person can currently get in the 200k range in Mississippi. Not bad, all things considered.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...ngle-family-home/price-200000-225000/pnd-hide

Kenny.sixpack

Aug 23, 2021
I was born in MS, went to JC then to State, then graduated and got a job in Gulfport. After 2 1/2 years I got a job in Fort Walton Beach, FL and have lived here for 27 years. Every time I go back it doesn't take long for me to say to myself, "I'll never go back there." The people are the asset in MS. The people are nicer, friendlier and more wholesome. But every thing else is so poorly run, maintained or non-functional. I don't see a way out of that for MS in my lifetime.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
We've discussed all of the above in separate threads.

But here's the question: If you are a native Mississippian who has the opportunity to come back to work in the state, would you do it even if it means being in the Jackson area?

I have worked in downtown Jackson for 25 years. Live in Madison. There is a crime problem in Jackson but I have never had a problem.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
I just moved back to Mississippi after 40 years in Texas ...I built a house on the coast and nearly every day throughout the process, I experienced 999,000 reasons why Mississippi is so far behind economically.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Out of curiosity, I looked to see what a person can currently get in the 200k range in Mississippi. Not bad, all things considered.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...ngle-family-home/price-200000-225000/pnd-hide

Don't know about much other areas than central MS (Flowood/Madison/Brandon - the only three places I'd live in central MS), but a decent 2000+SF house (that's going to appreciate) in a good neighborhood with good schools, is likely to start at $300k. $150/SF will likely be the entry point. You can find homes in the aforementioned areas for less, but I'd be able to show you why it is priced lower. Madison ($165ish/SF) will be on the higher end while 39042 Brandon will be on the lower end with Flowood/Rez in the middle. You always have to figure in Yazoo Clay and the neighborhood. You'll find some older houses right around the Rez for a good price, but likely the foundation will be trashed and the neighborhood will be on a downward trajectory.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I was born in MS, went to JC then to State, then graduated and got a job in Gulfport. After 2 1/2 years I got a job in Fort Walton Beach, FL and have lived here for 27 years. Every time I go back it doesn't take long for me to say to myself, "I'll never go back there." The people are the asset in MS. The people are nicer, friendlier and more wholesome. But every thing else is so poorly run, maintained or non-functional. I don't see a way out of that for MS in my lifetime.
Doesn't make a lot of sense considering the people are the ones doing the running, maintaining and non-functioning.

That's why we need good people to move back, rather than point at the problems due to the bad people.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
You have to be a rare exception moving back after all that time. Hoping the reason was positive overall.

Kenny.sixpack

Aug 23, 2021
Obviously I didn't communicate my thoughts too well. The people are neighborly, almost everyone treats one another like they are family. This is wonderful. This isn't the case in most other places I've been. That's the asset of the people in MS that I am referring. I believe MS has too much government. It has way too many counties. Consider the school system, there's county school systems and then school systems within the cities of those counties. Considering how many counties there are, that's a lot of government with a lot of duplicity. More successful states have much larger counties and each county is it's own school system with no city school systems. How can that ever be changed? I don't think it will. This is just schools. How about roads? It goes on and on. I don't see how to change the setup anytime soon. It just hasn't worked for a long time.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
That question has already been answered being that the Jackson metro area is by far and away the most heavily populated area in the state. Pretty dumb question.

You are correct. There is so much stupid on here any time there is a Jackson Metro thread.

Dawgtini

Aug 13, 2007
Working in Jackson.

Not limited to living in Jackson-- so Madison, Brandon, and other area communities are options for places to live.
Yep. Did it 20 years ago and would do it again. Just moved out to where I wanted to be and lived with the commute.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I’ve had multiple opportunities to move away from Mississippi.

Money was 10 to 15% better in some cases but considering the cost of living and the people, I’ve picked Mississippi every time.

I can travel to anywhere I want in the world easier than most people with similar income bc I can save more in Mississippi.

And by God I love the people here and this state.

TNT.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I moved away in 1987 - out of state. Thought I'd never come back. Company offered to transfer me back 3 times and the wife (Brandon girl) and I declined all 3 times. The 4th time my company offered, they didn't really ask. It's worked out (we're in Madison) and we're happy BUT we didn't really want to come back. And I have to say, it seems actually worse than it was when we moved back 15 years ago.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
I have lived in Mississippi my entire life except for 3 years in Hendersonville, TN while my wife finished some schooling. I’m a country boy. My weekends consist of hunting, fishing, or watching my kids play sports. My family owns land(like a 100 acres) and we lease more land for hunting(1100 acres). I can’t imagine being happy in another state away from family land. Even if its not hunting season, just taking the family on a 4 wheeler ride or working in the garden is what we love. I keep reading about “things to do”…..like what? Going to bars sucks..im 40 and over that for my life. Hiking? Got it right here. Shopping? Im a dude that hates it and just assume online shop.
I can’t imagine not living in Mississippi and being content unless i spent millions to buy a lot of land.

This is how I see it. It's obviously based on my upbringing (which was in Mississippi), but the things in life that I really enjoy are at my fingertips here. Now, like I mentioned in the other thread, if I had alot of money Montana would be on my list, b/c I could afford to re-create my passions from MS in MT.

Aug 28, 2018
It's really about NOT doing what everyone else is doing. Schools factor in to it all. In Starkville, that $150/Sq Ft is a floor today. 5 Years ago, you'd be looking at 125ish/Sq ft for the same houses.

Webster County:
(East Webster School District): This area has BALOONED since the school was rebuilt post 2011 Tornado. Pair that with the 2015 Consolidation of the Starkville/Oktibbeha County Schools and people flocked to East Webster. Land and home prices skyrocketed. You're looking at similar pricing to Starkville(maybe just a touch lower).
(Eupora School District): While only 35 minutes from Starkville, prices are lower than both East Webster and SOCSD.

Choctaw County: Ackerman Elementary School District- homes are selling for $65-$75/Sq Ft. Fun Fact, the Choctaw County Elementary School is the HIGHEST rated elementary school anywhere around(better than East Webster Elementary and all Starkville Elementary Schools). If you want an easy commute to Starkville, with affordable homes, and top elementary school, check out the Ackerman area. Had I not looked at the ratings recently, I would have never known.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
Doesn't make a lot of sense considering the people are the ones doing the running, maintaining and non-functioning.

That's why we need good people to move back, rather than point at the problems due to the bad people.

That's my take. It's a catch-22. The good and capable folks that could help pull us up by the bootstraps all leave and say they are never coming back, but they are the exact ones we need here to help make it better.

If all the good and capable folks left Huntsville, or NW Arkansas, or [Insert Desirable Place to Live], then they'd be in the same position as MS. The ones of us that are left have double the weight to pull now. Yet, we can't recruit help because of how far it's fallen. It's a shame.

It makes alot of sense why Mississippians (in general) have the attitude we do towards anything from the outside of MS. We are usually slow to adapt, hesitant to accept, etc etc, because we are constantly kicked to the curb and told we will never be anything more than what we are. We all know it happens in every topic ever brought up about MS. Yes, alot of that is brought on ourselves, but I do not appreciate it when folks from outside the state ridicule and mock us, yet don't do anything to try to help the situation, especially if they have some type of ties or history here. When the state and the citizens are so used to being the punching bag, how do you expect them (both good and bad folk) to react to anything from the outside? And I'm not implying anyone in this thread has done this, more of just a general thought anytime the subject of MS gets brought up... a small side rant.

Brain drain leads to exodus, which leads to inept leadership getting elected time and time again, which leads to more brain drain and exodus. In an already rural state with a calloused history. It's a mountain to overcome. And I hate it because, like always mentioned when the topic is brought up, some of the best people in the world reside in MS.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
That's my take. It's a catch-22. The good and capable folks that could help pull us up by the bootstraps all leave and say they are never coming back, but they are the exact ones we need here to help make it better.

If all the good and capable folks left Huntsville, or NW Arkansas, or [Insert Desirable Place to Live], then they'd be in the same position as MS. The ones of us that are left have double the weight to pull now. Yet, we can't recruit help because of how far it's fallen. It's a shame.

It makes alot of sense why Mississippians (in general) have the attitude we do towards anything from the outside of MS. We are usually slow to adapt, hesitant to accept, etc etc, because we are constantly kicked to the curb and told we will never be anything more than what we are. We all know it happens in every topic ever brought up about MS. Yes, alot of that is brought on ourselves, but I do not appreciate it when folks from outside the state ridicule and mock us, yet don't do anything to try to help the situation, especially if they have some type of ties or history here. When the state and the citizens are so used to being the punching bag, how do you expect them (both good and bad folk) to react to anything from the outside? And I'm not implying anyone in this thread has done this, more of just a general thought anytime the subject of MS gets brought up... a small side rant.

Brain drain leads to exodus, which leads to inept leadership getting elected time and time again, which leads to more brain drain and exodus. In an already rural state with a calloused history. It's a mountain to overcome. And I hate it because, like always mentioned when the topic is brought up, some of the best people in the world reside in MS.

I believe dawgstudent was the first person I ever saw say it: Mississippi has the best and the worst people on earth.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
I believe dawgstudent was the first person I ever saw say it: Mississippi has the best and the worst people on earth.

Nail on the head. Unfortunately, all of the worst ones seem to occupy leadership positions (in both parties and at all levels).

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Nail on the head. Unfortunately, all of the worst ones seem to occupy leadership positions (in both parties and at all levels).

I don't know, we certainly have some bad ones, but I would think the quality of our political leadership compared to the quality of our residents is actually a relatively high ratio compared to most states. Out of 8 statewide elected representatives, we actually have at least 5 that are smart and only one that I know of that is not smart. And they more or less all to my knowledge have some connection with reality when they speak.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Pretty much the same story here. I've lived in MS for 49 of my 60+ years and while I like to travel I'm ALWAYS ready to come home.
I raised my kids here and although they are grown one has stuck around here and I believe always will. I HATE snow w/ a passion so anywhere that has it is out of the question, I don't know how anyone can live w/ that crap. I'm not a fan of big cities either so those are out as well. I'm not a fan of tourists, commutes, know it all Yankees or Liberals so MS fits me just fine. Starkville was also just named the best city to retire to in MS

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Lived out of State 13 years, 5 in Dallas area, 8 in Memphis. I wouldn't go back to any city, Jackson included unless it was a 200% pay raise. Cost of living sucks in all those places. Loosing multiple hours a day to drive just a few miles. The entertainment was fun, but any adult can find plenty to do in rural Mississippi.

The downfall of all rural areas happened when the factories abandoned small town Mississippi starting in the late 80's. Then Nafta came along in 93 and accelerated that trend.

I love being able to live 25 miles out in the boonies and be able to get to work in 30 mins.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I have 2 kids under 7 right now and not a lot of family around. So, I could live in the most happening city in the world and not get to experience it too much.

With that said, I truly do like living in MS. I didn’t grow up here. Had family in the state and came to college at State. I grew up in Florida, moved back for a bit after college and then moved to Jackson. After kids I moved to Madison. I miss the beach, I miss salt water fishing and I miss pro sports. But I like the hunting here, and I like being able to escape to our land to spend a weekend.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Lived out of State 13 years, 5 in Dallas area, 8 in Memphis. I wouldn't go back to any city, Jackson included unless it was a 200% pay raise. Cost of living sucks in all those places. Loosing multiple hours a day to drive just a few miles. The entertainment was fun, but any adult can find plenty to do in rural Mississippi.

The downfall of all rural areas happened when the factories abandoned small town Mississippi starting in the late 80's. Then Nafta came along in 93 and accelerated that trend.

I love being able to live 25 miles out in the boonies and be able to get to work in 30 mins.

Yuup, this certainly happened. We had a small electronics factory in Greenwood that closed when manufacturing started going overseas. Happened in several small delta towns. Why did our politicians fail to protect our manufacturing? Well, I know why, greed, but in MS we need low skills jobs that provide decent security, income and benefits.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
And now we’re paying the price for having to import everything from China.

Len2003

May 13, 2018
I don't think there's much hope for Mississippi in my lifetime. We have awful state government and terrible infrastructure. It really is like a third world country in some places. I've become really disillusioned with it lately.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The thing is though. Companies are not moving a lot of high end jobs to Jackson area. There is plenty of land around Jackson. But it's kind of chicken and egg. Big stem and high end tech companies are moving to places like Texas and florida. We left because of stagnant work opportunities. And we will probably move again. Big tech companies aren't going to move to Jackson with everything that's going on with the city. Crumbling infrasture and crime per capita being what it is. High taxes for a small city. Terible airport. These companies would rather big buy land outside of Austin or Orlando and build their new places. Many are leaving California and New York in droves to escape taxes and policies. Mississippi should be attractive but not for high paying stem jobs. Ms attracts a lot of factories which is good. But still not many in STEM that are higher paying.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Problem with that is those people aren't millionaires that have money to create big tech companies that can pay higher salaries.

The tax base is not around Jackson to build better infrastructure either

The government also controls a lot of the issues with the infrastructure and pay. the Jackson area has a lot of state employees but the state is notorious for under paying people and not giving any raises. That hurts attracting people to the Jackson area.

The companies around Jackson also don't pay their employees well comparatively to out of state completion.

In some cases there are just more jobs elsewhere because of higher population also.

These big companies are not moving their higher paying jobs to the Jackson area for a reason. Outside of a plant or manufacturing it's just not happening.

There is a reason places like Huntsville, the coast, and areas aroundAustin are growing and attracting people and places like Jackson are dying.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
A lot of MS doesn't want to change either. It's been on the bottom end of things since reconstruction post civil war. It's been falling for along time. Jackson has been in poverty for years. The state has been in poverty for years. Not just the last 30. It's going to take lot more than brains to move back to MS to help MS. Sometimes you can't help what doesn't want to be helped. Life's to short to spend your own time on a lost cause on something that will never be changed in your lifetime. I invested a third of my career in MS but never got anything to show for it and when opportunities came calling elsewhere to for better opportunities for my family and mine and my wife's careers we took the opportunity and if we had the opportunity we will do it again and go elsewhere but not back to Jackson.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
This thread is interesting. If I had to sum up the responses in a nutshell:

* A person only comes to Mississippi if they have a pre-existing connection to it
* Mississippi is still stuck in the 20th century and resistant to change
* The state is impoverished
* The people of Mississippi are wonderful and neighborly
* The cost-of-living aspect deserves consideration if moving there
* Jackson pretty much is not a place to live, unless you want to be a victim of violent crime
* NEMS and the Coast are the more desirable places to live in MS
* SPS is the "Point-Counterpoint" of MS and should not be confused with the MS Dept. of Tourism

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
This thread is interesting. If I had to sum up the responses in a nutshell:

* A person only comes to Mississippi if they have a pre-existing connection to it
* Mississippi is still stuck in the 20th century and resistant to change
* The state is impoverished
* The people of Mississippi are wonderful and neighborly
* The cost-of-living aspect deserves consideration if moving there
* Jackson pretty much is not a place to live, unless you want to be a victim of violent crime
* NEMS and the Coast are the more desirable places to live in MS
* SPS is the "Point-Counterpoint" of MS and should not be confused with the MS Dept. of Tourism
We are starting to get a few Californians here (25 mins from Oxford) with the main attraction being they have heard or seen how great Oxford is. They sold a small house in California for a couple of million and Paid Cash for a nice house for $500K.

Dawg1969

Aug 22, 2012
Lived in Brandon and it was a good place to raise the kids. I chose #7 and it was a good choice.

Last edited:

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Welcome to Williamson County, TN. While it’s great that they’re coming in with all their money and bumping RE prices, it’s does us regular joes no good unless we’re getting out of Dodge because we can’t afford to buy the homes we once could. If I sell, I’m going elsewhere like they did.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
My stepfather is a native-born Californian who moved to Hattiesburg almost 20 years ago for similar reasons.

A couple friends of his from California lived in Hattiesburg for a while but moved to Arizona a few years back.

Len2003

May 13, 2018
A lot of MS doesn't want to change either. It's been on the bottom end of things since reconstruction post civil war. It's been falling for along time. Jackson has been in poverty for years. The state has been in poverty for years. Not just the last 30. It's going to take lot more than brains to move back to MS to help MS. Sometimes you can't help what doesn't want to be helped. Life's to short to spend your own time on a lost cause on something that will never be changed in your lifetime. I invested a third of my career in MS but never got anything to show for it and when opportunities came calling elsewhere to for better opportunities for my family and mine and my wife's careers we took the opportunity and if we had the opportunity we will do it again and go elsewhere but not back to Jackson.

That's true. A lot of MS doesn't want to change. We have leaders that don't want MS to change. Not taking all of the Covid relief money to help the hospitals. Not taking the Medicaid expansion money to help your state's healthcare infrastructure. It's almost like purposefully making the state worse.

And then the damn pipes in Jackson and other places are 100 years old. Who wants to live in a city where you have to boil your water all the time?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login