Broncos bound for the Ozarks ? **

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"The Walton-Penner family, led by Walmart heir Rob Walton, will acquire the Broncos from the Pat Bowlen Trust, controlled by the surviving children of the late club owner. Both sides announced the deal late Tuesday without specifying a sales price, but Forbes, ESPN and other outlets are reporting that figure to be around $4.65 billion. "

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
So Arkansas homers now control the Cowboys and Broncos. That tells me that if a random football program, not in a huge city, may rise with NIL, Arkansas may be the one to keep an eye on.

I really wish MS could figure out a way to cultivate a NW Arkansas type of area. Unfortunately all our homegrown companies love to sell out.

I'll be honest, the only real option would probably be the Golden Triangle or Hattiesburg/Laurel.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
So Arkansas homers now control the Cowboys and Broncos. That tells me that if a random football program, not in a huge city, may rise with NIL, Arkansas may be the one to keep an eye on.

I really wish MS could figure out a way to cultivate a NW Arkansas type of area. Unfortunately all our homegrown companies love to sell out.

I'll be honest, the only real option would probably be the Golden Triangle or Hattiesburg/Laurel.

Walmart - $500 billion+ in annual revenue ( by far #1 factor)
Tyson - $50 billion - in annual revenue. ( still huge factor)

When Mississippi gets a "walmart" that can force hundreds of other companies to move all/part of their offices to their location and make a bunch of already local companies (i.e. J.B. Hunt at $13 billion) rich, then it can have a NWA type of area. But, walmart also has more influence in city govt., university govt. ...... than many realize.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If the Waltons run out of money the NIL will be the least of our worries **

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
The Eureka Springs Broncos?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Walmart - $500 billion+ in annual revenue ( by far #1 factor)
Tyson - $50 billion - in annual revenue. ( still huge factor)

When Mississippi gets a "walmart" that can force hundreds of other companies to move all/part of their offices to their location and make a bunch of already local companies (i.e. J.B. Hunt at $13 billion) rich, then it can have a NWA type of area. But, walmart also has more influence in city govt., university govt. ...... than many realize.
Always a hater in the bunch. I'm well aware that we likely won't have THAT prosperous of an area anytime soon, so it won't threaten your hometown pride, so settle down.

I now realize it's just too much of a sin to talk about good things for the state of Mississippi around here. No idea why you out-of-staters get so defensive. I get that you moved on to bigger and better things and it's a badge of honor to look down on us now, but geez.

Last edited:

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Always a hater in the bunch. I'm well aware that we likely won't have THAT prosperous of an area anytime soon, so it won't threaten your hometown pride, so settle down.

I now realize it's just too much of a sin to talk about good things for the state of Mississippi around here. No idea why you out-of-staters get so defensive. I get that you moved on to bigger and better things and it's a badge of honor to look down on us now, but geez.

I have no pride associated to Walmart or Bentonville. I do enjoy some of what it offers. But none of this was my point. My point is - NWA isn't NWA because it did something right, or had great city/state leaders. It is what it is because a 5 and dime grew into a 500 billion dollar company in it's back yard. Then about 25 years ago, that company declared that all companies that sell to them will have an office within 30 mins of their home office which brought in a ton more money.

But, along with all of the prosperity that walmart brings, comes all of the woke agendas that are pushed into local govt, suppliers, etc. Overall it is a positive, but it's not all positive.

Dawg1969

Aug 22, 2012
The Mizzou Walton money also owns the Colorado Avalanche and may win the Stanley Cup.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login