Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
Been waiting for this one

Pop Corn GIF by WWE

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
If people can keep this from being political this could actually be an interesting discussion. To be clear, whatever marketing genius who made this decision did not do this to make a political stand. By their own admission they did it to bring in new customers. They thought by doing this they would attract younger people to drink their product. Not a great plan, obviously. The problem now is they have put themselves in a unwinnable situation. You can’t come out and make a statement about how much you regret doing it, and you can’t double down on it either. If you choose either of those options then you will only throw gasoline on one of the two separate fires you have burning. Michael Jordan caught hell for it, but he was right when he said republicans buy shoes too. It doesn’t matter whether bud light is “right” or “wrong”. They are a beer company. If they aren’t selling beer they are “wrong”. I would go so far to say that by hitting this hornet’s nest they have actually hurt the Trans movement. Just an unbelievable horrendous decision.

I have also enjoyed watching the Miller ads recently. They have stopped trying to be cute or funny. They are all but saying Miller lite is completely apolitical and will never offend you. It’s obviously not accidental.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The CEO handled this as well as Biden handled the Afghanistan withdrawal. He should have waited 5-7 days to see if it had legs, once he determined that he should have fired the VP marketing (with huge buyout/NDA, etc). Then lower price and start pumping out cans in camo pattern with ladies with big boobs parachuting out of C130s holding AR-15s.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Guys, it's silly. They never even sold the trans-cans. It's ok if you drink it. AND STOP BUYING UP ALL THE DAMN MILLER LITE!!! Restaurants and stores are running out of Miller Lite. Had to drive around to find any this weekend.
Miller Lite is my go to light beer but I cannot imagine not simply buying something else at the first place I go to if they're out.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Guys, it's silly. They never even sold the trans-cans. It's ok if you drink it. AND STOP BUYING UP ALL THE DAMN MILLER LITE!!! Restaurants and stores are running out of Miller Lite. Had to drive around to find any this weekend.
I'll wait until it's on sale.

Reactions: dorndawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Honest question before this inevitably gets locked:

Are demanding something be changed (Uncle Ben, Land O Lakes, Aunt Jemima) and simply deciding not to purchase something synonymous?
Honest answer: I'm actually really good with protests/boycotts; in a largely free-market system such as ours it's one of the few ways to affect change. The Bud Lite situation is a protest + boycott.

My original post is lampooning those who seem to have made their entire personality to deride others who protest/boycott/etc.

Trazom

Mar 26, 2023
If people can keep this from being political this could actually be an interesting discussion. To be clear, whatever marketing genius who made this decision did not do this to make a political stand. By their own admission they did it to bring in new customers. They thought by doing this they would attract younger people to drink their product. Not a great plan, obviously. The problem now is they have put themselves in a unwinnable situation. You can’t come out and make a statement about how much you regret doing it, and you can’t double down on it either. If you choose either of those options then you will only throw gasoline on one of the two separate fires you have burning. Michael Jordan caught hell for it, but he was right when he said republicans buy shoes too. It doesn’t matter whether bud light is “right” or “wrong”. They are a beer company. If they aren’t selling beer they are “wrong”. I would go so far to say that by hitting this hornet’s nest they have actually hurt the Trans movement. Just an unbelievable horrendous decision.

I have also enjoyed watching the Miller ads recently. They have stopped trying to be cute or funny. They are all but saying Miller lite is completely apolitical and will never offend you. It’s obviously not accidental.
I don’t know her objective, but it wasn’t to bring in younger people. In an interview before the SHTF, she said the brand was stale and had too much of a ”fratty” image.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I think my favorite thing I have read is people claiming this is targeting/indoctrinating kids. Really? The product that cannot legally be sold to people under the age of 21 is targeting kids. That’s an interesting marketing strategy.

Trazom

Mar 26, 2023
The CEO handled this as well as Biden handled the Afghanistan withdrawal. He should have waited 5-7 days to see if it had legs, once he determined that he should have fired the VP marketing (with huge buyout/NDA, etc). Then lower price and start pumping out cans in camo pattern with ladies with big boobs parachuting out of C130s holding AR-15s.
That’s pretty much what they did. The VP and some staffers were placed on indefinite leave and then AB ran a very ”American“ ad with Clydesdales running free and the like.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Buy Bud Light. I hear there's plenty in stock.
True story. We were at a café a week or so after this happened and ordered dinner. I ordered a Miller Light with my meal and the waitress said she thought they were out but they had Bud Light. I replied if they didn't have Miller I would just drink water (which I would have done anyway because I don't like AB products). She miraculously found a Miller Lite for me and even a second one later on.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The diversity, equity and inclusion left loves to irritate the MAGA right. Grab some popcorn before Orval Redwhatever transitions and becomes super awesome to all the diversity-loving white progressives who live in non-diverse neighborhoods and cities. Sometimes it's funny to watch the emotional reactions and the immediate efforts by grifters to cash in. The boycott, btw, is a good way to respond. It beats all the dumb memes that MAGA peeps believe totally own the libz and make them cry (that doesn't' happen even after all the high fives).

Reactions: MSUDOG24 and patdog

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Maybe the real problem is folks finding identity in a got damn beer in the first place?

Those overanalyzing what image the label on their beer casts probably have too superficial or shallow outlook on life and need to use some of that big boycott energy on some self reflecting.

And yes...same logic applies to dozens of different topics of folks getting the big sads about pop culture across the spectrum.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
If people can keep this from being political this could actually be an interesting discussion. To be clear, whatever marketing genius who made this decision did not do this to make a political stand. By their own admission they did it to bring in new customers. They thought by doing this they would attract younger people to drink their product. Not a great plan, obviously. The problem now is they have put themselves in a unwinnable situation. You can’t come out and make a statement about how much you regret doing it, and you can’t double down on it either. If you choose either of those options then you will only throw gasoline on one of the two separate fires you have burning. Michael Jordan caught hell for it, but he was right when hehe said republicans buy shoes too. It doesn’t matter whether bud light is “right” or “wrong”. They are a beer company. If they aren’t selling beer they are “wrong”. I would go so far to say that by hitting this hornet’s nest they have actually hurt the Trans movement. Just an unbelievable horrendous decision.

AB knew there would be backlash, they just underestimated the magnitude. Other companies, like Ulta, had marketed with Mulvaney and faced backlash, but survived. Even though AB now seems to be blaming an outside marketing agency for the can, it still had to be approved.

It's easy in hindsight to say this was a bad decision. But they were simply trying to market their beer to the 4 million or so people who follow Mulvaney's social media account, and the other people who have given her video series over 1 Billion views. They figured there would be backlash but that it was worth the risk.

I really don't know what's wrong with marketing your product to a pro-trans demographic. The only message they are sending is inclusivity.

And the kicker is, unless you follow Mulvaney on social media, you never would have known about the sponsorship...but Tucker Carlson, Kid Rock, etc al. decided to quit complaining about the Green M&M not being sexy enough, and jump on board the latest outrage.

I don't drink lite beers and hardly any other AB products, so I don't care if they are boycotted. I also had never heard of Dylan Mulvaney before this started. I just don't understand the outrage over marketing to trans people. Would you get upset if they marketed to other groups you find bothersome....like Disney fans?

Reactions: FQDawg

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Mulvaney is minstrel act, a man pretending to be a teenage girl, something that started not long ago. He's an exaggerated stereotype that a certain type of white woman likes because they think it's virtuous to do so and it separates them from the uncouth white people. I find it weird that progressives think this way and demean others, normal people, who don't.

Jul 5, 2020
I've heard about this, but have not seen the commercial. I don't drink Bud Light, but I am sure that there is a product owned by InBev that I've had in the last few weeks. It is nearly impossible to boycott a major product for any length of time with a critical mass of population to have any impact. Also, I'm as turned off by the performative responses to the commercial as I might be by the intent of the commercial itself.

We are an outrage and reaction culture, and it's all profoundly silly.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I don’t know her objective, but it wasn’t to bring in younger people. In an interview before the SHTF, she said the brand was stale and had too much of a ”fratty” image.
I found this interesting because while there may be some beers that could possibly considered "fratty" I would have never put Bub light in that category. My first thought was "now if Bud Light is "fratty" what beers are considered "bubba" ?

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Regardless, she thought this was a good way to get new customers.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I've heard about this, but have not seen the commercial. I don't drink Bud Light, but I am sure that there is a product owned by InBev that I've had in the last few weeks. It is nearly impossible to boycott a major product for any length of time with a critical mass of population to have any impact. Also, I'm as turned off by the performative responses to the commercial as I might be by the intent of the commercial itself.

We are an outrage and reaction culture, and it's all profoundly silly.
There was never a commercial. They gave a can to a TikTok influencer and she made a TikTok video about it.

Reactions: dgsmith15

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
This is like the Kaepernick Flag protest in that the original issue is getting massaged. The problem is the Bud Light lady spoke out against her customer base. If she just said we sell beer to everyone, it would have blown over.

However, She said:

She added further that she had a “super clear” mandate that “to evolve and elevate this incredibly iconic brand.” She said that what she “brought” to the brand was a “belief” that to evolve and elevate means to incorporate “inclusivity, it means shifting the tone, it means having a campaign that’s truly inclusive, and feels lighter and brighter and different, and appeals to women and to men.”

She then disparaged the work of Bud Light’s past branding.

“We had this hangover, I mean Bud Light had been kind of a brand of fratty, kind of out-of-touch humor, and it was really important that we had another approach,” she said.

Say the inclusive part but don't then call your current customers "out-of-touch". And truthfully I don't understand why a company that has multiple brands messes with an existing brand even though it is slipping. You can put that same swill in another can and market to any group you want. If the Bud Light brand dies because the customers die, what does it matter to a conglomerate. I can name many brands of beer that no longer exist. That matters if it is your only product, not if you own 30 other product lines. I mean Stella Artois sounds much more in line with your "inclusive" fan base.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
This bud light thing is the latest dang thing that has popped up influenced by the terrible atmosphere set by 24h conservative talk radio. The FCC should reinstitute the fairness doctrine. It would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login