Bud Light boycott

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
1. "Other companies, like Ulta, had marketed with Mulvaney and faced backlash, but survived"

Surely you aren't comparing the customers of Ulta and Bud Light in the same conversation and expecting the same reaction about a trans?
2. But they were simply trying to market their beer to the 4 million or so people who follow Mulvaney's social media account, and the other people who have given her video series over 1 Billion views.
"Well she's a guy so"

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Guys, it's silly. They never even sold the trans-cans. It's ok if you drink it. AND STOP BUYING UP ALL THE DAMN MILLER LITE!!! Restaurants and stores are running out of Miller Lite. Had to drive around to find any this weekend.
I bought 3 cases Saturday at WalMart grocery in Starkville and 2 yesterday. Must have been a lot of leftovers from the baseball fans that stayed home......

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
This is like the Kaepernick Flag protest in that the original issue is getting massaged. The problem is the Bud Light lady spoke out against her customer base. If she just said we sell beer to everyone, it would have blown over.

However, She said:

She added further that she had a “super clear” mandate that “to evolve and elevate this incredibly iconic brand.” She said that what she “brought” to the brand was a “belief” that to evolve and elevate means to incorporate “inclusivity, it means shifting the tone, it means having a campaign that’s truly inclusive, and feels lighter and brighter and different, and appeals to women and to men.”

She then disparaged the work of Bud Light’s past branding.

“We had this hangover, I mean Bud Light had been kind of a brand of fratty, kind of out-of-touch humor, and it was really important that we had another approach,” she said.

Say the inclusive part but don't then call your current customers "out-of-touch". And truthfully I don't understand why a company that has multiple brands messes with an existing brand even though it is slipping. You can put that same swill in another can and market to any group you want. If the Bud Light brand dies because the customers die, what does it matter to a conglomerate. I can name many brands of beer that no longer exist. That matters if it is your only product, not if you own 30 other product lines. I mean Stella Artois sounds much more in line with your "inclusive" fan base.
Wow. I think you nailed it. Seriously. I really havent thought about it this way but i think this is it.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Honest answer: I'm actually really good with protests/boycotts; in a largely free-market system such as ours it's one of the few ways to affect change. The Bud Lite situation is a protest + boycott.

My original post is lampooning those who seem to have made their entire personality to deride others who protest/boycott/etc.
I've done an about-face. I'm 100% pro-cancel culture. Let the market shake itself out.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Also, Bud Light has always advertised "beechwood aged".
how to be a latin lover film GIF by pantelionfilms

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Am I the only one who is never even aware of these type controversies until someone on sixpack makes a post? All light beer is awful anyway.
I usually see them on the SEC Rant political board first…. But I try to never start threads about anything here.

I love most any style of beer, minus the sours. But when I’ve mowed the grass, etc., I don’t want a big tall glass of Russian imperial stout. I wanna Miller Lite…. If we are out somewhere, I’ll start with good ones and then gradually taper off back to ML.

The brewers that make these products are some of the best on the planet. Even though light beer isn’t fancy, the attention to detail and quality assurance are about as good as it can get (both Miller and InBev). There’s definitely a market for all of it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Say the inclusive part but don't then call your current customers "out-of-touch". And truthfully I don't understand why a company that has multiple brands messes with an existing brand even though it is slipping. You can put that same swill in another can and market to any group you want. If the Bud Light brand dies because the customers die, what does it matter to a conglomerate. I can name many brands of beer that no longer exist. That matters if it is your only product, not if you own 30 other product lines. I mean Stella Artois sounds much more in line with your "inclusive" fan base.
Exactly. This "declining brand" she wanted to make "more inclusive" was the best-selling beer in the USA last year. You want to market beer to a more inclusive audience, create a new brand for that. You don't mess with your top brand.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Guys, it's silly. They never even sold the trans-cans. It's ok if you drink it. AND STOP BUYING UP ALL THE DAMN MILLER LITE!!! Restaurants and stores are running out of Miller Lite. Had to drive around to find any this weekend.
This is what happens when you cater to the 1%. At some point in time the other 99% is gonna say enough is enough. Plus, companies should just stay out of politics all the way around.

Last edited:

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
When you live in rural MS (or even MS in general), it's hard to find a good local craft beer. So, you grab a Miller Lite. Hell, I had to drink Miller Highlife this weekend. It most certainly is not the Champaign of beers.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
When you live in rural MS (or even MS in general), it's hard to find a good local craft beer. So, you grab a Miller Lite. Hell, I had to drink Miller Highlife this weekend. It most certainly is not the Champaign of beers.
Miller High Life is indeed hot garbage

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
IMG_4354.jpeg
It's hard to even find Yuengling right now. It's my other beer (gives me the sh it's though).

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I love most any style of beer, minus the sours. But when I’ve mowed the grass, etc., I don’t want a big tall glass of Russian imperial stout. I wanna Miller Lite…. If we are out somewhere, I’ll start with good ones and then gradually taper off back to ML.

The brewers that make these products are some of the best on the planet. Even though light beer isn’t fancy, the attention to detail and quality assurance are about as good as it can get (both Miller and InBev). There’s definitely a market for all of it.

You and I drink beer the same way. When out I'll start with a Stella or Blue Moon or 2. Then it's back to a light pilsner.

At home, it's Natural Light on hand at all times. I'm only renting this piss water, but I don't care. I'm not drinking to get hammered.

IPAs are an abomination. It was a necessary chemical, logistical, and technological marvel to get beer to India, but technology has progressed beyond this.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I found this interesting because while there may be some beers that could possibly considered "fratty" I would have never put Bub light in that category. My first thought was "now if Bud Light is "fratty" what beers are considered "bubba" ?
I would have considered natty light frat boy and bud light more Bubba.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The reason this has received so much backlash is due to things being shoved down everyones throats and people are just very,very tired of it now. Oh and btw, DM is a he and not a she. His DNA will never change.
What is being shoved down anyone's throat? That is a really dramatic view and it also seems wildly inaccurate.

A company that advertises across many platforms decided to try and reach a targeted audience in an effort to grow their brand. It clearly didnt work out, because a bunch of people who are quickly triggered were unsurprisingly triggered, but that doesnt change what happened- its just a company trying to grow their brand.

No issue was shoved down your throat. I assume you dont subscribe to this girl's channel/account/feed so you had no idea the advertisement even took place until some outrage media picked up on it and reported it in order to generate revenue of its own thru controversy.
Seriously, this doesnt impact you at all- Bud Light wasnt trying to normalize trans life, Bud Light wasnt grooming, and Bud Light wasnt doing any of the other absurd claims that outrage media has put forth. They wanted to try and sell a product and thought this would be one of many ways to do so.

There is no shoving down throats and you cant honestly claim there is. Saying it is is just one more wild accusation that isnt based in reality.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Here's a novel concept, Bud Light. Stay in your 17'ing lane. Sell beer stay out of hot button issues that will divide your base. Like sports teams should do. Politics and religion should never be discussed with friends/customers (if you want to sell to more than 1/2 of the country).

This isnt politics and religion. Bud Light is sold at gay bars. Bud Light is sold at straight bars. Its sold at conservative bars. Its sold at liberal bars.
Basically every category you can put on people is a category that Bud Light sells to.

Why do you take issue with a company advertising a product? Thats really all this is. In the end, its just a company trying to sell its product. You clearly dislike knowing that a company is spending marketing money on advertising to a group of people you dislike without actually knowing, but thats a you issue.

Unfortunately, there are so many like you with the same issue, that its now impacted the company who has all along been selling to this very group you dislike, long before you took issue with them selling to that group.

It has to be exhausting to be outraged at so many things every day.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
What is being shoved down anyone's throat? That is a really dramatic view and it also seems wildly inaccurate.

A company that advertises across many platforms decided to try and reach a targeted audience in an effort to grow their brand. It clearly didnt work out, because a bunch of people who are quickly triggered were unsurprisingly triggered, but that doesnt change what happened- its just a company trying to grow their brand.

No issue was shoved down your throat. I assume you dont subscribe to this girl's channel/account/feed so you had no idea the advertisement even took place until some outrage media picked up on it and reported it in order to generate revenue of its own thru controversy.
Seriously, this doesnt impact you at all- Bud Light wasnt trying to normalize trans life, Bud Light wasnt grooming, and Bud Light wasnt doing any of the other absurd claims that outrage media has put forth. They wanted to try and sell a product and thought this would be one of many ways to do so.

There is no shoving down throats and you cant honestly claim there is. Saying it is is just one more wild accusation that isnt based in reality.
I don't know. A chic with a dick makes me believe there's absolutely something being shoved down someone's throat.
I just need the rednecks and their $20,000 four wheelers to stop taking all the Miller Lite. Throw some Pabst or something in your Yeti. Might I suggest Coors Light.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Are we sure it’s not a Bud Light girlcott?

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
This isnt politics and religion. Bud Light is sold at gay bars. Bud Light is sold at straight bars. Its sold at conservative bars. Its sold at liberal bars.
Basically every category you can put on people is a category that Bud Light sells to.

Why do you take issue with a company advertising a product? Thats really all this is. In the end, its just a company trying to sell its product. You clearly dislike knowing that a company is spending marketing money on advertising to a group of people you dislike without actually knowing, but thats a you issue.

Unfortunately, there are so many like you with the same issue, that its now impacted the company who has all along been selling to this very group you dislike, long before you took issue with them selling to that group.

I have never been a bud light drinker but I do think the bigger underlying issue is the VP of marketing going on multiple podcasts an insulting their customer base. The video of her came out right after all this happened basically saying the bud light customer profile is not good enough for her. As one poster said earlier, if you are the top-selling brand in your product category, maybe don't insult the customers who got you there.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

"Seriously, this doesnt impact you at all- Bud Light wasnt trying to normalize trans life,"
BULL ****

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Can someone explain the anger associated with all of this to me? You don’t like what they did? Fine. Don’t buy it. I just don’t understand the rage associated with it. I have better things to do then to wake up and be angry at what a beer company does.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
If you aren't drinking a stout, an ale, or an ipa are you really drinking beer?

the nattys, the millers, the buds have zero flavor.

give me stout Guinness or a brown ale any day over that crap

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007

Who is quickly triggered? The folks that attack and make death threats on JK Rowling and Dee Snider who are both supporters of LGTBQXYZ because they don't agree with every single thing in their agenda? The folks that immediately call any opposite view as racist, homophobic, etc? I know you love to ignore facts but the lady in charge of this small campaign used the current "equity" words to denigrate her existing customers.

Have people thrown fuel on the fire? Yes they have, but don't go accusing one side of doing things that the other side has been doing all along.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Since the 'cue glfr' comment was already posted and I have responded to a couple of other comments, here is some fodder-

- Bud Light handled the controversy is a comically bad way. Years from now, this needs to be in marketing textbooks as a white paper on how not to handle product controversy.

- Bud Light viewing the trans community as a target audience is hardly new. Same for the gay community. I am surprised that people are surprised to find this out. Dont look behind the curtain, but a lot of other companies view the trans community as a target audience too. Eek!!

- It has to be exhausting to be in a state of constant outrage. The brief advertisement doesnt negatively impact anyone, and yet look at all the outrage people have experienced because of it. It would be funny if it werent so sad.

- Kid Rock is just pathetic. I mean, it should be clear to everyone by now- between the shots that were taken off camera to help him look tough and serious, to the fact that he was perfectly fine with trans people in prior years- the guy is a clown. Why on earth would anyone look to him for guidance or validation of their views?

- Cancel Culture is alive and well on the right. Oh way, this isnt cancel culture because its the right thats doing it. Sorry, its a justified boycott. Yes yes, that is a big difference and we cant mix those phrases up, otherwise people will look inconsistent in their outrage.

- I cant imagine no longer purchasing a product I enjoy just because the company spent .0000001% of its marketing budget on advertising to someone I wouldnt choose to be around due to disagreeing with how they live as an adult. Especially since the person isnt doing anything illegal.
I have bought Nike and Adidas even though I havent fully supported and loved every single spokesperson they pay.

- People get to spend their money how they want in the end. What people get upset about will never stop being odd though.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
If you aren't drinking a stout, an ale, or an ipa are you really drinking beer?

the nattys, the millers, the buds have zero flavor.

give me stout Guinness or a brown ale any day over that crap
A stout in 90 degree, 70% humidity weather is no fun. An ale is pretty meh. IPA is fine if you can handle the hops. A good Velvet Rooster used to be a good time. But in MS, you can't find much.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012

You’re triggered that someone was triggered. This is beyond tiresome.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I have never been a bud light drinker but I do think the bigger underlying issue is the VP of marketing going on multiple podcasts an insulting their customer base. The video of her came out right after all this happened basically saying the bud light customer profile is not good enough for her. As one poster said earlier, if you are the top-selling brand in your product category, maybe don't insult the customers who got you there.
That is what is called justifying after the fact with new info. That wasnt known when the outrage first started and it is disingenuous to tie that to the justification of the emotional rants and boycotts.

With that said, the marketing woman had a few key words that did her in and yes it didnt make for a good look.
Calling the current base too fratty was a mistake. Everyone categorizes, but saying the categories isnt great.
If Bud Light sees the market as dying though, it is smart of them to try and expand. It isnt smart to insult the current base while trying to expand.

None of the outrage videos I saw were in response to Bud Light drinkers being called 'fratty' in a web interview. All of them were in response to Bud Light partnering with a trans woman to sell beer.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I don't know. A chic with a dick makes me believe there's absolutely something being shoved down someone's throat.
I just need the rednecks and their $20,000 four wheelers to stop taking all the Miller Lite. Throw some Pabst or something in your Yeti. Might I suggest Coors Light.
Yeah, there was clearly a BJ reference in this and I chose to not engage in that because I figured it wouldnt go well. It had to be said though, so thank you for stepping up.

As for your Miller Light being out of stock, is that seriously happening? If it is, then just walk to the closest puddle and scoop a glass of water. That will taste as good a Miller Light and likely 17 your stomach up just the same. Plus you will save $.

Aug 15, 2011

Of course we're @$@% outraged. Good grief, the far left has been challenging the moral standards of this country (and just about everywhere else) for the past century pushing garbage like this. The far left push some outlandish, sick, and perverted lifestyle on us and then wonder why we act outraged when they do this? They're pushing straight evil onto our society; we're going to call a spade a spade.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
"Seriously, this doesnt impact you at all- Bud Light wasnt trying to normalize trans life,"
BULL ****
Care to expand? How did this impact you? How did it impact the other poster? Nobody on this forum knew it happened until for profit media picked it up because they knew it would generate revenue.
The ad could have taken place without you knowing and your life wouldnt have been different. No better and no worse.

If you are saying its BS that Bud Light wasnt trying to normalize trans life, I will be the one to break this to you- trans life is already normalized. Its everywhere.
Further, Bud Light paying for access to an audience doesnt equal Bud Light trying to normalize that audience. Bud Light just wants to sell beer. That is why they exist.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
This is like the Kaepernick Flag protest in that the original issue is getting massaged. The problem is the Bud Light lady spoke out against her customer base. If she just said we sell beer to everyone, it would have blown over.

However, She said:

She added further that she had a “super clear” mandate that “to evolve and elevate this incredibly iconic brand.” She said that what she “brought” to the brand was a “belief” that to evolve and elevate means to incorporate “inclusivity, it means shifting the tone, it means having a campaign that’s truly inclusive, and feels lighter and brighter and different, and appeals to women and to men.”

She then disparaged the work of Bud Light’s past branding.

“We had this hangover, I mean Bud Light had been kind of a brand of fratty, kind of out-of-touch humor, and it was really important that we had another approach,” she said.

You nailed it. It just wasn't very smart. You don't start a new campaign for a popular product by alienating your original customers. I'm not smart enough to come up with a campaign myself but I'm sure there's something they could have done differently if they wanted to attract the Trans market. When the lady who was in charge of this new campaign, opened her mouth to explain why she did it, she just sounded a whole lot like a certain group of people who love to tell "other" people how ignorant they are.

We are smarter than you and we know it! Sounds really familiar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login