Buy/Sell: Retirement pay + Move to the Golden Triangle...

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Huge sell. Salary will not make up for the GT's shortcomings nor the inconveniences of the move.

After a while, there's only so much MSU athletics one can indulge in annually. Other than that, what *is* there?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Huge sell. Salary will not make up for the GT's shortcomings nor the inconveniences of the move.

After a while, there's only so much MSU athletics one can indulge in annually. Other than that, what *is* there?
I know.

And culturally the best part of MSU is in Meridian.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
I think they just hate that The People‘s University was stuck out in the middle of nowhere rather then in a booming metropolis like Oxford, Auburn or Tuscaloosa.😳

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I can speak for Tuscaloosa. Crime is getting to be a deal breaker for us. This is no longer the place we moved to 25 years ago. I’d consider moving back to GT over this meth-neck hellhole in a second.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I've not met many MSU fans that hate MSU as much as you guys.

Unless you're just perpetually trolling.

Livability, Goat.

The Golden Triangle area just isn’t a great place to attract people.

I’ve said before that I qualify for state retirement and but I’m being picky in applying for positions that become available.

The money is decent enough but there ain’t enough there.
Jeez.
I’ve spent quite a bit of time in Meridian past few years. If the best part of anything is in Meridian, no destination outside of Pripyat should be off your list.

Meridian is by far the cultural center of East Mississippi.

MSU should invest a lot more in Meridian.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Livability, Goat.

The Golden Triangle area just isn’t a great place to attract people.

I’ve said before that I qualify for state retirement and but I’m being picky in applying for positions that become available.

The money is decent enough but there ain’t enough there.

Meridian is by far the cultural center of East Mississippi.

I disagree, but that's fine if you don't like it. My question is, why broadcast it out to everyone else? Why run it down and speak negatively? Because if you do it here, I know you likely do it in real life.

I'm not saying you have to sacrifice your own life by being a part of Mississippi's 'solution', but damn.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I disagree, but that's fine if you don't like it. My question is, why broadcast it out to everyone else? Why run it down and speak negatively? Because if you do it here, I know you likely do it in real life.

I'm not saying you have to sacrifice your own life by being a part of Mississippi's 'solution', but damn.
I’m doing this for the same reason you broadcast your thoughts.

This place is one of my social outlets. 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg and Mr. Cook

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

Are you trying to censor opinions on SPS?

Reactions: dawgstudent

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I spent two days there last week. Enjoyed being there. It is definitely not the same Starkville when I was a student. Very much improved. I am comfortable living where I live and don't know if I would like living there. If my employer wanted me to move there I would move and after several years I might feel the way I do about where I live now.

Mayor of Little London

Dec 26, 2016
Livability,Meridian is by far the cultural center of East Mississippi.

I am from Meridian and this quote would have made me laugh 10 years ago. Not so much now. It is certainly becoming that. It is also very convenient to visit Starkville, NOLA, and the MS Coast and AL Beaches. It has so much potential to get better and seems to be on track to do so.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I'm trying to understand why you are so jaded.
Jaded? No.

Feedback is the pathway to improvement -- regardless of whether you like it or not. While I don't think anyone expects for Starkville/GT to be on any Top 10 lists, there are several improvements that could be made to improve the area. Unfortunately, many of them will happen long after I'm dead

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
...to take another job at an above-average salary.

I'm selling.
I'm buying by the truckload. Low cost of living, low crime depending on where you live, access to outdoors activities such as hunting and fishing if you are into that, as Jethreaux said - golf if you are into that, If you want to travel - you can do that from anywhere, but you'll have more money to travel in retirement if you live here vs somewhere with a lot higher cost of living, easy access to SEC sports and you don't have to get a hotel or a place to do it.

What do you want?

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I've not met many MSU fans that hate MSU as much as you guys.

Unless you're just perpetually trolling.
I was about to say. I’m not 100% sure I understand the original message but if it’s more money and opportunity to move to GTR/Starkville, I know a ton of people doing it.

lot of people retiring to Starkville as well.

Reactions: MSUDAWGFAN

HuskyBDawg

Nov 26, 2017
I hate to side with GOAT, but it's been forty days since I've seen a blue sky (live in Seattle). Offer me 50k and I'll be packin for Starkpatch tomorrow. Stop crappin on Mississippi. I can code, teach math, and have an MBA from a top 40 business school (can knock the dust off it, hardly used). References available from Carthage, MS (near the Sonic). Class salutatorian from Jim Hill HS. Hit me up. I promise to never crap on Starkville.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Golf. What is it you want in retirement that the GT doesn’t have?

I'm buying by the truckload. Low cost of living, low crime depending on where you live, access to outdoors activities such as hunting and fishing if you are into that, as Jethreaux said - golf if you are into that, If you want to travel - you can do that from anywhere, but you'll have more money to travel in retirement if you live here vs somewhere with a lot higher cost of living, easy access to SEC sports and you don't have to get a hotel or a place to do it.

What do you want?

Both of y'all covered similar areas, so I'm responding to y'all.

I don't golf, hunt, or fish. And seeing what friends who live there post about the GT, my big impression is that the area doesn't offer much of anything to folks who don't do outdoors activities.

I was about to say. I’m not 100% sure I understand the original message but if it’s more money and opportunity to move to GTR/Starkville, I know a ton of people doing it.

lot of people retiring to Starkville as well.

But does the GT have anything to offer people other than just opportunity?

Seriously.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014

I don't golf, hunt, or fish. And seeing what friends who live there post about the GT, my big impression is that the area doesn't offer much of anything to folks who don't do outdoors activities.

Seriously.
OK, so if you are a homebody - like me ( I don't hunt or fish either) - you can have a much nicer house to be a homebody in. Also you can have nicer things since the cost of living is lower than most other places.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

Seriously.
Well, what do you want to do when you retire? I’m guessing from your other posts, lots of live music options are important to you. I guess you’ll need a big city. If being around salt water is a priority, I understand Starkville not working for you.
I hear a lot of “Wherever USA doesn’t offer enough” but rarely do I hear the key things that person is looking for.

ETA: I’m not saying everyone should retire to the GT. To each his own. The first drawback of the area that pops in my head is the medical treatment options. That may not actually be an issue, just perspective.

Aug 28, 2018

Seriously.
How is your tan??

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I lived in Starkville for almost 18 years. When I moved out of the Golden Triangle, I said I can't wait to retire and move back. Now I'm not sure I ever will. Sure, I'd like to get a second home there. I even played with the idea of buying my old house back in 2021. But at the end of the day, outside of gamedays, there isn't much there for me compared to my current situation.

Grove Sh.tter

Sep 30, 2022
I love living in starkville. I grew up in Columbus, but starkville is now home. I have never lived elsewhere, but I am close enough to new Orleans, memphis, bham, atlanta, the gulf coast, etc, that I can visit easily.

Eg I'm going to a concert in southaven Thursday night.

Having the university here is a huge privilege that i often take for granted. I imagine living in a metro region would be about the same. The benefits would glimmer less with time. I love the small town community and pace of life. Different strokes, I guess.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
...to take another job at an above-average salary.

I'm selling.
I’d buy if I were in your position. It really depends on what you want though. I’d prefer to go and enjoy all the sporting events, eat some nice meals, golf and bike/walk around campus to stay in shape. That plus traveling would be way more than enough to keep me busy.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I hate to side with GOAT, but it's been forty days since I've seen a blue sky (live in Seattle). Offer me 50k and I'll be packin for Starkpatch tomorrow. Stop crappin on Mississippi. I can code, teach math, and have an MBA from a top 40 business school (can knock the dust off it, hardly used). References available from Carthage, MS (near the Sonic). Class salutatorian from Jim Hill HS. Hit me up. I promise to never crap on Starkville.
This position pays at least that much but I've got concerns.
OK, so if you are a homebody - like me ( I don't hunt or fish either) - you can have a much nicer house to be a homebody in. Also you can have nicer things since the cost of living is lower than most other places.
Eh yeah but there are other issues. jethreaux's gotten close to it & Mr. Cook also knows what I'm looking at...
Well, what do you want to do when you retire? I’m guessing from your other posts, lots of live music options are important to you. I guess you’ll need a big city. If being around salt water is a priority, I understand Starkville not working for you.
I hear a lot of “Wherever USA doesn’t offer enough” but rarely do I hear the key things that person is looking for.

Live music is indeed a good thing and I like being closer to larger cities-- or at the very least college towns where there's a decent music scene which Oxford and Hattiesburg both have.

But I rarely see people talk about Starkville and live music other than Main Street Festival.

MSU emphasizes Meridian when it comes to events so I wonder if the GT is a place where I could live and thrive.

Right now I don't see it.

Reactions: aTotal360

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I love living in starkville. I grew up in Columbus, but starkville is now home. I have never lived elsewhere, but I am close enough to new Orleans, memphis, bham, atlanta, the gulf coast, etc, that I can visit easily.

Eg I'm going to a concert in southaven Thursday night.

Having the university here is a huge privilege that i often take for granted. I imagine living in a metro region would be about the same. The benefits would glimmer less with time. I love the small town community and pace of life. Different strokes, I guess.
I felt the same till I moved away. I originally moved from a small town in the Delta to Starkville. Compared to what I grew up with, the Golden Triangle felt like Manhattan. Now that I'm OOS, I see all the cool stuff I didn't have growing up. I'm not dumping on Starkville at all. I love the place and it's getting better every day. But if you've spent any time living in a nice suburb in another state, it may fall a little flat in comparison.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This position pays at least that much but I've got concerns.

Eh yeah but there are other issues. jethreaux's gotten close to it & Mr. Cook also knows what I'm looking at...

Live music is indeed a good thing and I like being closer to larger cities-- or at the very least college towns where there's a decent music scene which Oxford and Hattiesburg both have.

But I rarely see people talk about Starkville and live music other than Main Street Festival.

MSU emphasizes Meridian when it comes to events so I wonder if the GT is a place where I could live and thrive.

Right now I don't see it.
It certainly seems like you started this thread just to trash the GT. Fine, do what you will.

We all know the pitfalls and the possibilities. I've lived all over. Any time someone points out a positive about anywhere in MS, the clown posse is always here to let us know about the suburban hivemind lifestyle of Dallas or Atlanta. We get it.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It certainly seems like you started this thread just to trash the GT. Fine, do what you will.

We all know the pitfalls and the possibilities. I've lived all over. Any time someone points out a positive about anywhere in MS, the clown posse is always here to let us know about the suburban hivemind lifestyle of Dallas or Atlanta. We get it.
Not so much trash the GT.
(That was the clickbait purpose of the subject heading which we all know would attract people.)

Instead, I've asked people (I did offer it as a Buy/Sell) to show me that my thoughts from my perspective are misguided.

Edited to add: It's potentially a good opportunity but my fear is that I would be extremely bored.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I am a life long resident of Columbus. Born here in 1954. At one time it was a great place to live and raise a family, but not so much anymore. If you are determined to live in Mississippi then it is ok compared to most, but not all, communities. A few nice restaurants and neighborhoods, some good people, and some good private schools. MSU is only 30 minutes from home so that is a plus. The downside is the same as many other communities in our State, crime is at a very high level. As the demographics of our town continue to change, the worse it gets. There are parts of town that I will not travel through after dark and a couple of spots that I do not go at all. Retired now but when I was still working our factory was over near a rougher part of town. When I left work late in the day I would hear gun fire as I walked across the parking lot on a regular basis. So much so that I didn’t even bother to look up unless it sounded pretty close. Friends with some people in law enforcement and the stories I hear from them are pretty shocking. My kids are grown and both also live here. I have told them that they can probably finish there careers here if they want too, but our grandkids need to plan to live elsewhere when they get grown. 30 years ago Columbus was great but if the same trends continue for another 30 years we will be like a 3rd world country around here. The problems that we face here daily are the same ones that other towns face around our State. I really don’t mean for it to sound so terrible. There are some good things about our town but if I didn’t have ties here and had other options I would think about it. Been here for 68 years so if I can be of service please PM me and I will be glad to try and answer any specific questions for you.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Not so much trash the GT.
(That was the clickbait purpose of the subject heading which we all know would attract people.)

Instead, I've asked people (I did offer it as a Buy/Sell) to show me that my thoughts from my perspective are misguided.

Edited to add: It's potentially a good opportunity but my fear is that I would be extremely bored.
I’m confused why you won’t just come out and plainly say what it is you’re looking for in a community. That would be helpful to some. I can tell you don’t like outdoors stuff, not sure if you MSU sports is enough to keep you entertained. The only thing I have to go on is you consider meridian to be a more cultured city than Starkville. I’ll admit to not spending much time (or any at all) in meridian but I can’t imagine there being many perks to meridian over Starkville… but again, I really have no idea what you are looking for in a community.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login