Buy/Sell: Retirement pay + Move to the Golden Triangle...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I’m confused why you won’t just come out and plainly say what it is you’re looking for in a community. That would be helpful to some. I can tell you don’t like outdoors stuff, not sure if you MSU sports is enough to keep you entertained. The only thing I have to go on is you consider meridian to be a more cultured city than Starkville. I’ll admit to not spending much time (or any at all) in meridian but I can’t imagine there being many perks to meridian over Starkville… but again, I really have no idea what you are looking for in a community.
jethreaux hit the nail on the head earlier and I responded.

Perhaps you missed that post...

I prefer places with a livelier social & live music scene which I've rarely seen people mention when talking about Starkville and Columbus with the exception of Main Street Festival.

MSU supports the music events in Meridian with the Riley Center. Do they do anything in Starkville?

Does anyone do anything in Starkville musically other than MSU and Rick's?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I hate to side with GOAT, but it's been forty days since I've seen a blue sky (live in Seattle). Offer me 50k and I'll be packin for Starkpatch tomorrow. Stop crappin on Mississippi. I can code, teach math, and have an MBA from a top 40 business school (can knock the dust off it, hardly used). References available from Carthage, MS (near the Sonic). Class salutatorian from Jim Hill HS. Hit me up. I promise to never crap on Starkville.
$50k total? As in annual salary? Or just give you $50k to move? Surely the job market isn't so limited in Starkville that it's hard to make $50k with a decent degree and an MBA?

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I am a life long resident of Columbus. Born here in 1954. At one time it was a great place to live and raise a family, but not so much anymore. If you are determined to live in Mississippi then it is ok compared to most, but not all, communities. A few nice restaurants and neighborhoods, some good people, and some good private schools. MSU is only 30 minutes from home so that is a plus. The downside is the same as many other communities in our State, crime is at a very high level. As the demographics of our town continue to change, the worse it gets. There are parts of town that I will not travel through after dark and a couple of spots that I do not go at all. Retired now but when I was still working our factory was over near a rougher part of town. When I left work late in the day I would hear gun fire as I walked across the parking lot on a regular basis. So much so that I didn’t even bother to look up unless it sounded pretty close. Friends with some people in law enforcement and the stories I hear from them are pretty shocking. My kids are grown and both also live here. I have told them that they can probably finish there careers here if they want too, but our grandkids need to plan to live elsewhere when they get grown. 30 years ago Columbus was great but if the same trends continue for another 30 years we will be like a 3rd world country around here. The problems that we face here daily are the same ones that other towns face around our State. I really don’t mean for it to sound so terrible. There are some good things about our town but if I didn’t have ties here and had other options I would think about it. Been here for 68 years so if I can be of service please PM me and I will be glad to try and answer any specific questions for you.
There's not many towns around the entire South that don't have that problem. It's all about the economic engine, in that vein Starkville is a fine area in MS, as are the Jackson suburbs, the Coast towns and bordering counties, maybe west Hattiesburg, Desoto County, Tupelo/NE MS. In other states, I'd go Huntsville, Birmingham suburbs and Baldwin County. Louisiana, I'd say the northern suburbs of NOLA. Arkansas - NW and LR suburbs. Tennessee - Memphis suburbs, Nashville, Chattanooga/Knoxville. Tennessee is easily the best of the bunch IMO.

But the point is, Columbus isn't the barometer. You've made this post like 5 times. Get out of there and move to Starkville or the Birmingham suburbs, and you're still close enough to MSU.

• Haha

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
There's not many towns around the entire South that don't have that problem. It's all about the economic engine, in that vein Starkville is a fine area in MS, as are the Jackson suburbs, the Coast towns and bordering counties, maybe west Hattiesburg, Desoto County, Tupelo/NE MS. In other states, I'd go Huntsville, Birmingham suburbs and Baldwin County. Louisiana, I'd say the northern suburbs of NOLA. Arkansas - NW and LR suburbs. Tennessee - Memphis suburbs, Nashville, Chattanooga/Knoxville. Tennessee is easily the best of the bunch IMO.

But the point is, Columbus isn't the barometer. Get out of there and move to Starkville.
I'll disagree with you, Goat.

Combined, both places move the barometer.

And I'm sure that Joe Max likely says something similarly - and makes sure to add West Point too.

The GT has around 125,000 people living there?

That's still fairly small though in comparison to the other places you've mentioned...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'll disagree with you, Goat.

Combined, both places move the barometer.

And I'm sure that Joe Max likely says something similarly - and makes sure to add West Point too.

The GT has around 125,000 people living there?

That's still fairly small though in comparison to the other places you've mentioned...
We don't really disagree there. I was just telling him, specifically, that after his numerous posts about Columbus, there are other suitable places closeby to go. But truth be known he sounds like someone who's never been south of Noxapater or north of Okolona. I don't mean any offense by that, but I know plenty who in fact think that way.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not so much trash the GT.
(That was the clickbait purpose of the subject heading which we all know would attract people.)

Instead, I've asked people (I did offer it as a Buy/Sell) to show me that my thoughts from my perspective are misguided.

Edited to add: It's potentially a good opportunity but my fear is that I would be extremely bored.
Starkville is a good place for a relaxed life style. You have a decent enough restaurant variety in a small town and more music than you are going to get in other similar sized towns if not as good as you'd hope for a college town. But it's going to be for people that really enjoy hanging out with friends along with some combination of golf, outdoor activities, and MSU events.

The biggest drawback to Starkville in my eyes is that it doesn't have access to a decent airport, but most of Mississippi doesn't. I would say only those places close to New Orleans do.

Second biggest drawback is that it isn't close to any particularly good water. You've got pickwick almost three hours away? Smith lake 2 and a half hours? Lake martin more than 3 hours away? I'm sure there's at least a decent place to ski closer than that but I don't know what it is off hand. And a decent beach is almost 5 hours. But again, not any different than most of Mississippi once you get too far off the coast. I guess maybe northwest MS may be close to good Arkansas lakes?

I personally would prefer to live in Starkville rather than Hattiesburg, but being closer to a decent airport and not so far to the beach might would make a difference depending on how flexible my job was. If I've got enough flexibility to travel a good bit, being at the beach in under three house still makes a 3 day weekend justifiable. And while MSY isn't exactly in Hattiesburg's backyard, a 2 hour drive still makes a flight before 8 am doable if not pleasant.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Starkville is a good place for a relaxed life style. You have a decent enough restaurant variety in a small town and more music than you are going to get in other similar sized towns if not as good as you'd hope for a college town. But it's going to be for people that really enjoy hanging out with friends along with some combination of golf, outdoor activities, and MSU events.

The biggest drawback to Starkville in my eyes is that it doesn't have access to a decent airport, but most of Mississippi doesn't. I would say only those places close to New Orleans do.

Second biggest drawback is that it isn't close to any particularly good water. You've got pickwick almost three hours away? Smith lake 2 and a half hours? Lake martin more than 3 hours away? I'm sure there's at least a decent place to ski closer than that but I don't know what it is off hand. And a decent beach is almost 5 hours. But again, not any different than most of Mississippi once you get too far off the coast. I guess maybe northwest MS may be close to good Arkansas lakes?

Buy for the record.

for all the reasons Johnson laid out in the first paragraph. I would think you'd have to be a big msu fan and that I am. I can tell you I travel to Starkville more than I travel 5 miles to my nearest target.

As far as water... as kids we skied and swam in the Tombigbee from Columbus lake up to above 50 bridge. I thought it was perfect for skiing. Then as an adult I visited Greer's Ferry and Norfork lake ... wow. So if I moved back I'm not sure I'd ski the Tombigbee but it is a nice river to fish.

btw, the Arkansas lakes are about 3-4 hours from Desoto County. Not bad. But not a trip you can drive over and back in a day. Kinda like going to a game at MSU. (Except Starkville is an easier drive). You want to be close enough to do it often and not have to worry with lodging.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
We don't really disagree there. I was just telling him, specifically, that after his numerous posts about Columbus, there are other suitable places closeby to go. But truth be known he sounds like someone who's never been south of Noxapater or north of Okolona. I don't mean any offense by that, but I know plenty who in fact think that way.
Yes, I have posted about this several times. I will try to refrain going forward. The fact is that it just breaks my heart to see my hometown dying a slow poisoned death. As for the snotty little cheap shot about my “world travels” I traveled extensively for many years on business and now for fun. 48 of the 50 States and I plan to get one one of the 2 remaining States covered later this year. Also traveled in Europe, Mexico , Canada, and South America, not that any of this has anything to do with my post. If you are offended by my post just don’t read them. It’s pretty simple.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Buy for the record.

for all the reasons Johnson laid out in the first paragraph. I would think you'd have to be a big msu fan and that I am. I can tell you I travel to Starkville more than I travel 5 miles to my nearest target.

As far as water... as kids we skied and swam in the Tombigbee from Columbus lake up to above 50 bridge. I thought it was perfect for skiing. Then as an adult I visited Greer's Ferry and Norfork lake ... wow. So if I moved back I'm not sure I'd ski the Tombigbee but it is a nice river to fish.

btw, the Arkansas lakes are about 3-4 hours from Desoto County. Not bad. But not a trip you can drive over and back in a day. Kinda like going to a game at MSU. (Except Starkville is an easier drive). You want to be close enough to do it often and not have to worry with lodging.
I don't need clear water to ski, but at this point I do prefer a lake. Even if you have a river with good enough site lines that you don't feel like you could get hit coming around a curve and there's no commercial traffic, I just don't want to worry about **** floating down it from whatever storm there was up river.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I've often made the same point that the 'Sip got jipped on nice lakes. Outside of Pickwick, our other three big lakes are muddy messes with little development. Our coastal water sucks. Compare that with Bama, several nice, clear, deep lakes and a nice beach. I spend a ton of time on the Ross Barnett (know locally as "The Rez") and love it, but it's not hard to see why many people won't get in that water.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I live in Union County. The last two houses that sold close to me were sold to Californian’s with school age children. They have never been so happy and excited.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Livability, Goat.

The Golden Triangle area just isn’t a great place to attract people.

I’ve said before that I qualify for state retirement and but I’m being picky in applying for positions that become available.

The money is decent enough but there ain’t enough there.

Meridian is by far the cultural center of East Mississippi.

MSU should invest a lot more in Meridian.
Name the things that make meridian better than Gtr.

Im genuinely curious.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Both of y'all covered similar areas, so I'm responding to y'all.

I don't golf, hunt, or fish. And seeing what friends who live there post about the GT, my big impression is that the area doesn't offer much of anything to folks who don't do outdoors activities.

But does the GT have anything to offer people other than just opportunity?

Seriously.
Again what do you get in meridian that you don’t get in Starkville?

be specific.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Not so much trash the GT.
(That was the clickbait purpose of the subject heading which we all know would attract people.)

Instead, I've asked people (I did offer it as a Buy/Sell) to show me that my thoughts from my perspective are misguided.

Edited to add: It's potentially a good opportunity but my fear is that I would be extremely bored.
But you really haven’t given your perspective in the entire thread.

What are you looking for and what can you get in meridian that you can’t get in Gtr?

If my choices were meridian or Starkville, I’d choose Gtr 1000 times.

decent food options

There is something to do sports wise 9 months out of the year
Golf

Music options - not a ton but Dave’s, ricks and university always have something going on

outdoors stuff

close to other places

not small but not so big it’s a pain to get places

great country club - golf, pool, tennis, social events

I might get some of that in meridian but I’m not getting anything Mississippi state sports related and considering the amount of time you spend on this board id think that was a high priority.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
jethreaux hit the nail on the head earlier and I responded.

Perhaps you missed that post...

I prefer places with a livelier social & live music scene which I've rarely seen people mention when talking about Starkville and Columbus with the exception of Main Street Festival.

MSU supports the music events in Meridian with the Riley Center. Do they do anything in Starkville?

Does anyone do anything in Starkville musically other than MSU and Rick's?
I can’t say I’m too up to date on the music scene in Starkville now. Although I guess I didn’t realize the music scene was substantially different in Oxford or Hattiesburg compared to Starkville. And I definitely didn’t realize it was better in meridian.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

I personally would prefer to live in Starkville rather than Hattiesburg, but being closer to a decent airport and not so far to the beach might would make a difference depending on how flexible my job was. If I've got enough flexibility to travel a good bit, being at the beach in under three house still makes a 3 day weekend justifiable. And while MSY isn't exactly in Hattiesburg's backyard, a 2 hour drive still makes a flight before 8 am doable if not pleasant.
GTR airport is better than it was a few years ago, and it's about to get better with new renovations. The service is reliable (that wasn't the case a few years ago). It's NOT part of the federal essential air service program, it pays its own way. We fly out of there because it's close and the security/check in lines are short. It would be nice if they could get an American Eagle flight or two to Dallas. They had that at one time. It's not a large airport, but for what it is it's a good airport.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Again what do you get in meridian that you don’t get in Starkville?

be specific.
Music options - not a ton but Dave’s, ricks and university always have something going on

Live Music is priority 1 for me.

I’d like to relax, go to a local place, support it, buy food, maybe a couple drinks, and listen.

But Starkville is the worst college town when it comes to music in the state.

I don’t see much out there.

I do not care about the outdoors or country clubs.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Yes, I have posted about this several times. I will try to refrain going forward. The fact is that it just breaks my heart to see my hometown dying a slow poisoned death. As for the snotty little cheap shot about my “world travels” I traveled extensively for many years on business and now for fun. 48 of the 50 States and I plan to get one one of the 2 remaining States covered later this year. Also traveled in Europe, Mexico , Canada, and South America, not that any of this has anything to do with my post. If you are offended by my post just don’t read them. It’s pretty simple.
Columbus was awesome in my days. I rode my bike all over east Columbus. Summer nights at propst park. Spent Sundays after church at the mall and Morrison cafeteria. A few years back I stopped by East columbus to see my old house and stopped the old store for gas. I could not leave that store fast enough. Anways.... it's the same everywhere. I tell my kids once they finish college ..... don't come back to Memphis. Go to east tn, nw Ark or even better, Boise ID.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Live Music is priority 1 for me.

I’d like to relax, go to a local place, support it, buy food, maybe a couple drinks, and listen.

But Starkville is the worst college town when it comes to music in the state.

I don’t see much out there.

I do not care about the outdoors or country clubs.
So meridian is better than Starkville for nice relaxing bars with live music?

• Haha
Reactions: DerHntr

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
17 all y'all. I'm doing it. I can go watch games all year. Sit in the lounge with my laptop and mini keg.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Meridian has the Riley Center which has MSU’s full support.

It also has the MAX where this year’s Jimmie Rodgers Music Festival will be performed. Of course the Temple is an old classic venue.

And while I’ve not seen any performances there (mostly because I’m usually in Meridian when I’m seeing a show) Brickhaus is a cool craft beer place where musicians play.

Heck, even the new Bully will be based in Meridian.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

It also has the MAX where this year’s Jimmie Rodgers Music Festival will be performed. Of course the Temple is an old classic venue.

And while I’ve not seen any performances there (mostly because I’m usually in Meridian when I’m seeing a show) Brickhaus is a cool craft beer place where musicians play.

I’m gonna say we are into much different things.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
That's a huge hell naw. Meridian is a wasteland. Give me Three Foot or the bar on top of Three Foot hotel. Harvest Grill is not bad either for laid back little bar with solid food.
By the way, damn Rustler is over $50 for a damn steak. Just a normal damn steak.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Not sure I understand the question or maybe it's the question behind the question. Assume most here spent 4 years or so at State. It is what its pretty much always been. Small towns in the middle of nowhere without much going on outside of "really big" MSU sporting events. Topography, climate and the basics of the towns are still the same. Went to State in the mid 70's, moved around the US to metro areas for 35 years and retired back to Starkville a few years ago. Cotton District is pretty cool and a few more "nice" restaurants in town but dare I say not a lot has changed. If you like small town living, easy access to MSU stuff and not much else, buy. Like city/metro life and easy access to a wide variety of stuff or lakes, beaches, mountains. seasons. etc., sell.
I will say if property values and taxes are a big part of your COL calculation you might have a holy **** moment as I did (at least City of Starkville).

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I’m gonna say we are into much different things.

Eh. I don’t know about that.

That said, some things you’ve mentioned have a social element that often doesn’t appeal to me.

I can have sensory overload headaches especially when I’m around people who are talking or shouting over each other.

It’s happened more than enough times.

So I’d rather do things other than socialize or be in environments (e.g., outdoors, really large or uncrowded rooms) where I won’t have bad headaches.

Reactions: GomJabbar

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Columbus was awesome in my days. I rode my bike all over east Columbus. Summer nights at propst park. Spent Sundays after church at the mall and Morrison cafeteria. A few years back I stopped by East columbus to see my old house and stopped the old store for gas. I could not leave that store fast enough. Anways.... it's the same everywhere. I tell my kids once they finish college ..... don't come back to Memphis. Go to east tn, nw Ark or even better, Boise ID.
I bet we would know each other. Did those exact things in the exact same places. Graduated from Caldwell High in 1972.

Reactions: Maroon13

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not sure I understand the question or maybe it's the question behind the question. Assume most here spent 4 years or so at State. It is what its pretty much always been. Small towns in the middle of nowhere without much going on outside of "really big" MSU sporting events. Topography, climate and the basics of the towns are still the same. Went to State in the mid 70's, moved around the US to metro areas for 35 years and retired back to Starkville a few years ago. Cotton District is pretty cool and a few more "nice" restaurants in town but dare I say not a lot has changed. If you like small town living, easy access to MSU stuff and not much else, buy. Like city/metro life and easy access to a wide variety of stuff or lakes, beaches, mountains. seasons. etc., sell.
I will say if property values and taxes are a big part of your COL calculation you might have a holy **** moment as I did (at least City of Starkville).
i would love to know what Starkville does with its property tax. Over $4k for <800 ft apartment? Who is embezzling enough money to keep Starkville from having buried utilities everywhere decent and nice sidewalks and landscaping everywhere?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

When I lived in Starkville, Rick’s and dark horse regularly had music. The place that was next to Starkville cafe had live music too. But I suspect the music at these places is likely not what you’re looking for.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
When I lived in Starkville, Rick’s and dark horse regularly had music. The place that was next to Starkville cafe had live music too. But I suspect the music at these places is likely not what you’re looking for.
Yeah, I saw the North Mississippi Allstars play at Rick’s ages ago.

Cary Hudson performed at Dark Horse fairly recently.

And a part of me really wishes I was old enough to have been at Johnny Cash’s show at Lee Hall & the after-party at the Pike house…

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
The music scene in Starkville was so bad in the 90s I regularly played for pay at Bully III. Ricks opened up about my junior year and he pulled some good acts to pretty much empty rooms. Saw Todd Snyder with a full band with probably 7 other people in the place, several of whom spent the whole night yelling for freebird, cowboy mouth played there, everything but the girl, and some others that I can’t bring to mind at the moment. There’s be bigger crowds for Jeff and Jeff at the Mexican restaurant I can’t remember the name of. Doesn’t sound like that’s changed a whole lot.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I have no desire for live music, but hasn't Rosebowl trying to promote live music a couple years ago?
He has and it’s great that he did.

HD6 also spoke to Richard Greenlee of Wratchet about Brett Eldredge’s upcoming planned Dudy Noble gig and potential other shows at MSU a couple months ago:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I mean, Lainey Wilson was at Ricks a couple months ago wasnt she?
You can listen to sirens and crotch rocket races in Meridian.

She was.

And Morgan Wade is playing there next month.

She’s been on my to-see list for a while.

I might go to that show. I’ve got that week off work.

If I’m going to bad mouth the Starkville Music Experience at times, I’m also going to reward it when they do something right.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Yeah, I saw the North Mississippi Allstars play at Rick’s ages ago.

Cary Hudson performed at Dark Horse fairly recently.

And a part of me really wishes I was old enough to have been at Johnny Cash’s show at Lee Hall & the after-party at the Pike house…
You don’t like crowded loud places but you wish you were at the pike house for an after party?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login