Buy/Sell: Retirement pay + Move to the Golden Triangle...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You don’t like crowded loud places but you wish you were at the pike house for an after party?
I don’t like crowded noisy places.

People talking and shouting over people is just noise and give me bad headaches.

Bands performing loud music is melodic; therefore, no headaches.

Reactions: GomJabbar

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I have decided to let our future evil overlord (AI) weigh in...

From ChatGPT:

There's this dude named Maroon Eagle considering retiring to Starkville Mississippi. He's a fan of live music but doesn't care for outdoor activities. Is Starkville a good place for him to retire?

Starkville, Mississippi is a small college town with a population of about 25,000. While there are some live music venues in the area, it may not be the best choice for someone who is looking for a vibrant music scene, especially if they have very specific tastes. That being said, there are some options for live music in the area, such as Dave's Dark Horse Tavern, which has live music several nights a week.

However, if your friend is not interested in outdoor activities, they may find Starkville to be somewhat limiting in terms of entertainment options. The town is known for its outdoor recreation opportunities, including fishing, hunting, and hiking, so someone who is not interested in these activities may feel somewhat left out.

Overall, while Starkville may have some options for live music, it may not be the best fit for someone who is looking for a lively music scene and is not interested in outdoor activities. It may be worth exploring other retirement destinations that better match your friend's interests and preferences.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

From ChatGPT:

There's this dude named Maroon Eagle considering retiring to Starkville Mississippi. He's a fan of live music but doesn't care for outdoor activities. Is Starkville a good place for him to retire?

Starkville, Mississippi is a small college town with a population of about 25,000. While there are some live music venues in the area, it may not be the best choice for someone who is looking for a vibrant music scene, especially if they have very specific tastes. That being said, there are some options for live music in the area, such as Dave's Dark Horse Tavern, which has live music several nights a week.

However, if your friend is not interested in outdoor activities, they may find Starkville to be somewhat limiting in terms of entertainment options. The town is known for its outdoor recreation opportunities, including fishing, hunting, and hiking, so someone who is not interested in these activities may feel somewhat left out.

Overall, while Starkville may have some options for live music, it may not be the best fit for someone who is looking for a lively music scene and is not interested in outdoor activities. It may be worth exploring other retirement destinations that better match your friend's interests and preferences.
Now do Meridian lol

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Interesting perspective….the 3 biggest benefits of Meridian that immediately came to your mind were two convenient ways to get the hell out of there, and one convenient place to go after you do?
And people also think highly of Hattiesburg which is - of course - known as the Hub City.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Now do Meridian lol
I think Maroon Eagle is actually an AI lol.

Would Meridian, Mississippi be a better option for Maroon Eagle during retirement?

Meridian, Mississippi, is a larger city compared to Starkville, with a population of around 36,000. While it may not have as many live music venues as larger cities, it does have a few options, including the Temple Theater for the Performing Arts, which hosts concerts and other performances throughout the year. Additionally, the city hosts the annual Jimmie Rodgers Music Festival, which celebrates the life and legacy of the "father of country music" and features a variety of musical acts.

In terms of other entertainment options, Meridian also has a variety of shopping and dining options, as well as museums and historical sites, such as the Meridian Museum of Art and the Meridian Railroad Museum. If your friend is not interested in outdoor activities, Meridian may be a better option than Starkville, as it is not primarily known for its outdoor recreation opportunities.

Overall, Meridian may be a better fit for Maroon Eagle if he is looking for a city with more options for live music and other entertainment, as well as a variety of historical and cultural attractions.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

From ChatGPT:

I think Maroon Eagle is actually an AI lol.

Would Meridian, Mississippi be a better option for Maroon Eagle during retirement?

Meridian, Mississippi, is a larger city compared to Starkville, with a population of around 36,000. While it may not have as many live music venues as larger cities, it does have a few options, including the Temple Theater for the Performing Arts, which hosts concerts and other performances throughout the year. Additionally, the city hosts the annual Jimmie Rodgers Music Festival, which celebrates the life and legacy of the "father of country music" and features a variety of musical acts.

In terms of other entertainment options, Meridian also has a variety of shopping and dining options, as well as museums and historical sites, such as the Meridian Museum of Art and the Meridian Railroad Museum. If your friend is not interested in outdoor activities, Meridian may be a better option than Starkville, as it is not primarily known for its outdoor recreation opportunities.

Overall, Meridian may be a better fit for Maroon Eagle if he is looking for a city with more options for live music and other entertainment, as well as a variety of historical and cultural attractions.

And here I thought that Lucifer Morningstar was the Evil Overlord of Six Pack Speak…

Well, okay…

jon lovitz devil GIF

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
And people also think highly of Hattiesburg which is - of course - known as the Hub City.

From what limited info I have and just based on a cursory lunch stop I made there on a road trip a few months back, Hattiesburg has come a long way in a short time.

Meridian? Ehhhhh not so much. I know many folks who used to live there and hated it, and the folks I know who currently live there hate it even more. If live music / Riley Center is your thing, its not like you’re all that far from it if you live in Hattiesburg or even in Brandon. Plus in those places you also get plenty of live music offerings (including Brandon Amphitheater), more convenient air travel options, and you’re close to New Orleans from both which is going to kick the crap out of any MS city’s live music scene.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

mdndog1966

Oct 6, 2014
I am from Meridian and this quote would have made me laugh 10 years ago. Not so much now. It is certainly becoming that. It is also very convenient to visit Starkville, NOLA, and the MS Coast and AL Beaches. It has so much potential to get better and seems to be on track to do so.
I live half the time in meridian and half in Starkville. Lot more to do in meridian than what it use to be. Enjoy sports in meridian

mdndog1966

Oct 6, 2014
That's a huge hell naw. Meridian is a wasteland. Give me Three Foot or the bar on top of Three Foot hotel. Harvest Grill is not bad either for laid back little bar with solid food.
By the way, damn Rustler is over $50 for a damn steak. Just a normal damn steak.
I’m gonna say we are into much different things.
There are lots of places in meridian that have live music.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
From what limited info I have and just based on a cursory lunch stop I made there on a road trip a few months back, Hattiesburg has come a long way in a short time.

Meridian? Ehhhhh not so much. I know many folks who used to live there and hated it, and the folks I know who currently live there hate it even more. If live music / Riley Center is your thing, its not like you’re all that far from it if you live in Hattiesburg or even in Brandon. Plus in those places you also get plenty of live music offerings (including Brandon Amphitheater), more convenient air travel options, and you’re close to New Orleans from both which is going to kick the crap out of any MS city’s live music scene.
Hattiesburg x 10,000,000,000 over Murderidian.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Hattiesburg x 10,000,000,000 over Murderidian.
Hattiesburg might just be the best place to live in Mississippi.

If that open position I’m talking about was within an hour’s drive of there, I’d have applied for it in a heartbeat and not even started this thread.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Hattiesburg might just be the best place to live in Mississippi.

If that open position I’m talking about was within an hour’s drive of there, I’d have applied for it in a heartbeat and not even started this thread.
I think you have mentioned before you are autistic, what line of work are you in? Just out of curiosity on my part, I like reading how people have over challenges.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
That's a huge hell naw. Meridian is a wasteland. Give me Three Foot or the bar on top of Three Foot hotel. Harvest Grill is not bad either for laid back little bar with solid food.
By the way, damn Rustler is over $50 for a damn steak. Just a normal damn steak.
Where do you live?

macpappy

Aug 8, 2010
I typically just read through comments without responding but reading this thread makes me wonder why people choose to even live in Mississippi other than its where their family has always lived.
I see so many people that want Starkville to be "a metropolis". Why? Small town is what I loved about MSU. Small town is why I choose to live in Mississippi. People act like Starkville has nothing to offer for food and shopping. I say folks have become spoiled and just about impossible to satisfy. Enjoy life a little more.
I still love riding out to the Noxubee Refuge whether that be to go turkey hunting or just enjoy looking at the lake. People in New York City can't do that.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I typically just read through comments without responding but reading this thread makes me wonder why people choose to even live in Mississippi other than its where their family has always lived.
I see so many people that want Starkville to be "a metropolis". Why? Small town is what I loved about MSU. Small town is why I choose to live in Mississippi. People act like Starkville has nothing to offer for food and shopping. I say folks have become spoiled and just about impossible to satisfy. Enjoy life a little more.
I still love riding out to the Noxubee Refuge whether that be to go turkey hunting or just enjoy looking at the lake. People in New York City can't do that.
But if we can cut down all the trees and put Targets and other forms of pre-rubble in those spots, we’d really have something to enjoy

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Livability, Goat.

The Golden Triangle area just isn’t a great place to attract people.

I’ve said before that I qualify for state retirement and but I’m being picky in applying for positions that become available.

The money is decent enough but there ain’t enough there.

Meridian is by far the cultural center of East Mississippi.

MSU should invest a lot more in Meridian.
Realistically are any areas in MS outside of the coast and the Memphis suburbs likely to be attractive destinations? Especially for people moving from other states.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
So I take it you don’t actually have a legitimate answer. Thanks for playing.
Lots of legitimate answers. Where would you like me to start torching the GT first?

Arts and culture?
K-12 education?
Employment opportunities?
Driving proximity to metropolitan areas?
Poverty rate?
Job opportunities?
Shopping?
Airport and flight selections?
Anything other than a long, flat view of row crop fields and pine trees?

Hey, thank *you* for playing. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

• Haha

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I feel like most people that say they hate where they live are just unhappy people that aren't going to be happy anywhere. Otherwise, why wouldn't you move?

There are obvious exceptions. If you're military, a stay at home spouse tied to the working spouse's job (although if you really hate it that much, you must not hate it as much as working), someone taking care of a family member, someone working for a company like IP where some time in a ****** location is part of paying your dues and moving up, people that are making so much more than they make elsewhere that they can retire early (if they can't retire early, the comment again is you must not hate it that much if you'd rather make a little bit more and live there than make less and live somewhere "better"). There are probably some others, but for the most part, if somebody "hates" a particular place in Missisippi, most likely where they would consider desirable has plenty of jobs.

If you live in and hate a big city but have a niche profession, that's a little different I guess. I have had friends that did not like DC or Atlanta, and wanted to move back but couldn't find anything related to their current work and didn't want to start from scratch professionally, and I get how you could really dislike where you live but not want to make that tradeoff to get somewhere smaller.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Lots of legitimate answers. Where would you like me to start torching the GT first?

Arts and culture?
K-12 education?
Poverty rate?
Job opportunities?
Shopping?

LOL. That's the classic Mr. Cook flame broiling response I expected....

I warn people...
Hah!

I’ve known Mr. Cook for years and I know how his mind works.

Extremely intelligent. Very much a big picture guy & skeptical about Mississippians’ (individually and institutionally) tolerance for new economic development ideas.

With so many folks on SPS still being very skeptical about Leach and the Air Raid, it stands to reason that he’d downgrade the Bulldogs at the same time aTm is preseason Top 10 & Ole Miss has a favorable schedule to start off the season.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Cook

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I feel like most people that say they hate where they live are just unhappy people that aren't going to be happy anywhere. Otherwise, why wouldn't you move?

There are obvious exceptions. If you're military, a stay at home spouse tied to the working spouse's job (although if you really hate it that much, you must not hate it as much as working), someone taking care of a family member, someone working for a company like IP where some time in a ****** location is part of paying your dues and moving up, people that are making so much more than they make elsewhere that they can retire early (if they can't retire early, the comment again is you must not hate it that much if you'd rather make a little bit more and live there than make less and live somewhere "better"). There are probably some others, but for the most part, if somebody "hates" a particular place in Missisippi, most likely where they would consider desirable has plenty of jobs.

If you live in and hate a big city but have a niche profession, that's a little different I guess. I have had friends that did not like DC or Atlanta, and wanted to move back but couldn't find anything related to their current work and didn't want to start from scratch professionally, and I get how you could really dislike where you live but not want to make that tradeoff to get somewhere smaller.
Agreed… most people are able to find positives about where they live. I didn’t grow up in MS and grew up I a much bigger metro area than what Jackson is. But I personally like it here a lot. There are certainly things I miss about being in Florida but there are things here in MS I like better than FL. I’ve only lived a handful of places but I’ve enjoyed all of them.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Realistically are any areas in MS outside of the coast and the Memphis suburbs likely to be attractive destinations? Especially for people moving from other states.

No. The state is like scotch: an acquired taste. If you're not from Mississippi, you are likely not going to find it a destination.

Hattiesburg.

I know quite a few folks who’ve moved there from out of state specifically as a retirement destination.

Great medical care. Good options outdoors and culturally. Inexpensive.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Semi-Related: Basically half the counties in the US are undesirable, at least to the extent that they are losing population. Some of this is clearly policy driven, but a lot is I think when population growth is low, good policy isn't going to make up for a place that generally lacks natural advantages and that doesn't have head start on economic development. Question I would have is whether Idaho is really so beautiful that it can attract people to basically grow everywhere? Or is it largely benefitting from being close to a high population state like California that is somehow managing to drive tons of people away from paradise on earth with bad policy?

1681309841607.png

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

Arts and culture?
K-12 education?
Poverty rate?
Job opportunities?
Shopping?

Well, you’re improving. I asked what you are looking for in retirement that the GT doesn’t offer and you eventually were able to put together a list that includes: K-12 education, job opportunities and shopping. I never considered those would be important to a retiree.

The other things are items I understand being a factor in some people’s retirement decisions. Thank you for replying in a manner that improves the conversation and broadens the outlook of our board. I can tell your first priority listed is quite important to your future plans. Once again, thank you. God Bless.

Reactions: turkish

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Hattiesburg.

I know quite a few folks who’ve moved there from out of state specifically as a retirement destination.

Great medical care. Good options outdoors and culturally. Inexpensive.
The food scene in Hattiesburg is not good. Starkville food scene > Hattiesburg, and Starkville could be better.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Semi-Related: Basically half the counties in the US are undesirable, at least to the extent that they are losing population. Some of this is clearly policy driven, but a lot is I think when population growth is low, good policy isn't going to make up for a place that generally lacks natural advantages and that doesn't have head start on economic development. Question I would have is whether Idaho is really so beautiful that it can attract people to basically grow everywhere? Or is it largely benefitting from being close to a high population state like California that is somehow managing to drive tons of people away from paradise on earth with bad policy?

View attachment 327238
This post is trying so hard to bend reality to fit an agenda that it reads like a Yogi Berra quote.

"Cali has "bad policy" because no one wants to live there because it's so crowded. "

Reactions: mstateglfr

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
This post is trying so hard to bend reality to fit an agenda that it reads like a Yogi Berra quote.

"Cali has "bad policy" because no one wants to live there because it's so crowded. "
California has bad policy because much of it is paradise on earth and still losing population. And it would be worse except for poor illegal immigrants and rich legal ones.
Hell, California could keep all its other bad policies and still grow if it would just get rid of the bad policies related to housing and development.

Reactions: aTotal360

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Well, you’re improving. I asked what you are looking for in retirement that the GT doesn’t offer and you eventually were able to put together a list that includes: K-12 education, job opportunities and shopping. I never considered those would be important to a retiree.
You’re working under faulty assumptions. Not all people approaching retirement age are the same.

Case in point: My father was sixteen years older than my mother when they got married.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
California has bad policy because much of it is paradise on earth and still losing population. And it would be worse except for poor illegal immigrants and rich legal ones.
Hell, California could keep all its other bad policies and still grow if it would just get rid of the bad policies related to housing and development.
Maybe. Seems much more likely that Cali is losing population because there's been a sudden price correction related to the massive overcrowding caused by all the people desiring to live there. There are people that would rather live in MS for 1/3 the cost, for others it would take 1/4, etc. The former are who are leaving. There's nothing inherently wrong with that.

Related: Cali recently surpassed Germany to become the 4th largest economy in the world! Bad policy 🤣🤣🤣.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Fair point. Mr Cook is could be retired at 43. Take that Fishwater.
I’ll admit to being more than a little envious of both of their musical excursions.

Their tastes are impeccable & either of them would be worthy Spirit Animals to follow.

(yeah yeah, I’m getting all new agey here…)

Reactions: jethreauxdawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login