CFB is dead! Our attendance problem isn’t just a MSU problem!**

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
One issue is we have too many fans who (for whatever reason) are negative about our school, town and especially our players. It makes no sense. The OM folks I know are the opposite, the are overly positive about their town, school and program

Last edited:

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
This thread is basically the same as the….”when they located state in Starkville….”

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
You can't continually build a large alumni base when a significant share of your graduates move out of state to find work. Over time their children will attend college in their transplant state and each generation will become more distant from the motherland of MSU. But still, a consistently winning program must come before sell-outs and record ticket sells which is even doable for MSU.

Reactions: The Peeper

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
That's why I want to concentrate NIL on basketball and baseball.

Our fanbase, first of all, is small and spread out all over MS and everywhere else. Like I said the other day, we don't really have an urban area to draw from to get 60K on the regular. Secondly, we don't understand how to commit to football. Third, look at our competition. So why swim upstream?
Just when I think you can’t get any dumber you post this…
Yes, basketball should get some NIL but baseball is an Olympic non revenue sport and a very very small amount of NIL should go to it. We need to invest majorly of NIL into football. You are po ol state guy

Reactions: retire the banner

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Let’s be honest, dumping everything in football is swimming upstream.
Sooo.....you agree with my post? Not sure what your point is, you're literally restating what I said (and that multiple people are calling me dumb about).

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Sooo.....you agree with my post? Not sure what your point is, you're literally restating what I said (and that multiple people are calling me dumb about).
I’m indifferent. I personally think putting a big chunk into a lesser point would be a good idea. We dont have the money to consistently compete in football. Like I said before, we could spend every dime we have in football and we’d still end up a 6-7 win team in the new SEC era. Honestly, there isn’t a right answer in our case. I’m empathetic at this point.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I’m indifferent. I personally think putting a big chunk into a lesser point would be a good idea. We dont have the money to consistently compete in football. Like I said before, we could spend every dime we have in football and we’d still end up a 6-7 win team in the new SEC era. Honestly, there isn’t a right answer in our case. I’m empathetic at this point.
Agree , if all eggs are put in the football basket, it still places you in the bottom 1/3 of the SEC in NIL $$$. That will guarantee you are bad in every sport. this will become self evident to the doubters over the next 2-3 seasons.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Season ticket sells and attendance are two different things. When you are not at our game just watch the stadiums for all the other games. More often than not (even Bama) the upper decks are not full unless it is some super game.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Ultimately we’ve just done a poor job of managing the program since Mullen left. Moorhead sucked. Leach wasn’t bad but failed to embrace NIL and a not small portion of our fans were never sold on his playing style. Arnett was in way over his head.

We’ve gotta stop being a revolving door of head coaches and get some stability with a guy who wins and does so in an engaging way. I hope that’s Lebby but obviously it’s TBD.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Ultimately we’ve just done a poor job of managing the program since Mullen left. Moorhead sucked. Leach wasn’t bad but failed to embrace NIL and a not small portion of our fans were never sold on his playing style. Arnett was in way over his head.

We’ve gotta stop being a revolving door of head coaches and get some stability with a guy who wins and does so in an engaging way. I hope that’s Lebby but obviously it’s TBD.
do You think a head coach “embracing NIL“ is what fills the coffers with money ? is Lebby embracing NIL ? If he is why is our NIL near the bottom of the sec ?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Leach did not have a great offense at MSU. He also didn't win as much as BOTH of his predecessors. Not beating Ole Miss in at least one of his first two years hurt too. He also was not as universally loved as this board thinks he was.
Is there really any reason to piss on a dead man in this thread? I'm quite sure you can find other examples to further your argument dude.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Being boring on offense since 2017 doesn’t help things either.
I don’t understand this whole “boring on offense” thing affecting attendance. Do y’all remember how horrible the offenses were under Sherrill? Go back and watch a Sherrill-coached game. Most of the time it’s like going to the dentist watching our offense (the 2000 season a rare exception). And he’s one of the top 5 coaches in the history of the school according to a lot of y’all! I don’t give a crap about the offense. Just win games. Leach had us at 9 wins in his third season, and if he hadn’t died, I think we would be on a nice run of success. But, of course, he died and threw the whole program into disarray. Let’s give Lebby a good chance to fix it and really support the team before we throw him to the wolves.

Last edited:

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Leach did not have a great offense at MSU. He also didn't win as much as BOTH of his predecessors. Not beating Ole Miss in at least one of his first two years hurt too. He also was not as universally loved as this board thinks he was.
His offenses were great against mediocre D's but Will's lack of mobility and physicality made us schitty against quality D's. He finished with back to back.500 SEC seasons with an egg bowl W. He is a respected and loved coach across the country. Your assessment is overly one sided.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
do You think a head coach “embracing NIL“ is what fills the coffers with money ? is Lebby embracing NIL ? If he is why is our NIL near the bottom of the sec ?
Let me rephrase, Leach and Cohen actively dogged NIL at every opportunity. It was very counterproductive and has us still playing catch up.

Reactions: retire the banner

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I don’t understand this whole “boring on offense” thing affecting attendance. Do y’all remember how horrible the offenses were under Sherrill? Go back and watch a Sherrill-coached game. Most of the time it’s like going to the dentist watching out offense (the 2000 season a rare exception). And he’s one of the top 5 coaches in the history of the school according to a lot of y’all! I don’t give a crap about the offense. Just win games. Leach had us at 9 wins in his third season, and if he hadn’t died, I think we would be on a nice run or success. But, of course, he died and threw the whole program into disarray. Let’s give Lebby a good chance to fix it and really support the team before we throw him to the wolves.
Jackie Sherrill was coaching 1991-2003. There was no sec network. Offenses were all boring. Our stadium was much smaller when he was winning and we still couldn’t fill it (38k the day Hazelwood kicked the game winner against Ark).

Leachs offense was miserable to watch. We can win 6-8 games a year running the triple option but no one wants to watch that.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
His offenses were great against mediocre D's but Will's lack of mobility and physicality made us schitty against quality D's. He finished with back to back.500 SEC seasons with an egg bowl W. He is a respected and loved coach across the country. Your assessment is overly one sided.
Of course it is. He was not as respected and loved as this board thinks.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Is there really any reason to piss on a dead man in this thread? I'm quite sure you can find other examples to further your argument dude.
It was brought up that Leach enthusiasm never seemed to catch fire here. I was pointing out why.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Jackie Sherrill was coaching 1991-2003. There was no sec network. Offenses were all boring. Our stadium was much smaller when he was winning and we still couldn’t fill it (38k the day Hazelwood kicked the game winner against Ark).

Leachs offense was miserable to watch. We can win 6-8 games a year running the triple option but no one wants to watch that.
Yep, watching Leach's offense was like listening to continuous fingernails on a chalkboard to many. There are a LOT more people who feel this way than this board will ever recognize. It was reflected in the attendances and lack of enthusiasm while he was here.

Reactions: 8dog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There are a LOT more people who feel this way than this board will ever recognize. It was reflected in the attendances and lack of enthusiasm while he was here.
Agree. Which is another reason we routinely say our fanbase has a “LOT” of moronic nimrod mouth breathers.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'll stick to all the opinions of all the great coaches I've heard.
They (our fanbase) will never get it. They will never see that Leach’s offense was responsible for opening up holes for their glorious run game. They will never see that the offense was held back due to the limited talent of Will Rogers. They will never see that the future build out would have likely been among the best offensive years this program has ever seen. They will never see what exactly we are up against in football competition. They will never understand that the programs Leach won at had serious disadvantages compared to the blue bloods.

They also will likely never see a consistently successful football program. The majority wins, and our fanbase is majority mouth breathing. Maybe not majority, but the loudest. We have more L4s and Coach34s than we realize.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
They (our fanbase) will never get it. They will never see that Leach’s offense was responsible for opening up holes for their glorious run game. They will never see that the offense was held back due to the limited talent of Will Rogers. They will never see that the future build out would have likely been among the best offensive years this program has ever seen. They will never see what exactly we are up against in football competition. They will never understand that the programs Leach won at had serious disadvantages compared to the blue bloods.

They also will likely never see a consistently successful football program. The majority wins, and our fanbase is majority mouth breathing. Maybe not majority, but the loudest. We have more L4s and Coach34s than we realize.
If his offense was so great, why didn't every program run it? I know everybody uses air raid concepts, but nobody ran the real thing anymore but Leach. It was as a dated as the wishbone. People knew how to stop it, and did.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
I believe we have our coach. How long we keep him is the question. He is getting a lot of air time.

My mom was just watching something, as I popped in & out, and Lebby was being interviewed. She doesn't watch sports, so it had to be news. He's all over the tv promoting the hell out of State.

Give Lebby some time, he knows modern college football, and will get State back on track. When we start out 4-0 fans will be back.

Reactions: eckie1

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Attendance and ticket sales aren’t the right metric, though they’re certainly relevant. It’s revenue maximization. That doesn’t take place purely through in game ticket sales, and you have to work in future things like building a fanbase, program perception, crowd impact on atmosphere, etc., but revenue through in game sales is a major source.

You could set ticket prices at $1 and always sell out or set them at $1 million and never sell a ticket. What they’re trying to do through things like that awkward stadium survey is understand customer surplus and stratify the fanbase into cohorts so they can target the cohorts with pricing strategies to maximize revenue. Each cohort has its own demand curve, and the revenue maximizing attendance for that cohort may be at an attendance lower than capacity. There’s a good chance TN is just pricing lower than they need to right now, but they might also be factoring in whether that demand will drop next season, trying to build long term loyalty, or something else

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Moorhead hired after Mullen and tears down everything built to that point to ashes. Complete rebuild 2 years from a team that could have been NY6 with competent leadership.

Get a nationally beloved coach and things look up.

Nationally beloved coach dies in the offseason after converting the entire team to Air Raid that no one can now run.

Have to scramble and promote a dud from within.

Next season is a disaster.

End of next season we fire a coach who lasted one season and was awful in recruitment leaving us in the 50’s.

Fans want a home run hire to heal the wounds.

Fans get a coach who is more than likely as good as or better than young Mullen, and has shown flashes of good recruiting, but fans are underwhelmed and stuck in a “wait and see” attitude.

Picked next to last…. Above an absolutely terrible Vandy.

Yea… I think ticket sales may suffer a lil this year.
This. All of this.

I’ll be at the opener, tho…. My son has never been to a game at DWS and he’s good luck. I feel like well maybe take EKU down!!*****

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024

If his offense was so great, why didn't every program run it? I know everybody uses air raid concepts, but nobody ran the real thing anymore but Leach. It was as a dated as the wishbone. People knew how to stop it, and did.
Don't rely so much on your own opinion or those on The Pack. Pay closer attention to players and coaches. There's reasons he's being considered for HOF.

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
Our fans …

Grow Do Something GIF by AionCommunity

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
1 - Only he could run the way he did;
2 - Not every program needs a niche;
3 - A lot of stupidity.

Florida should have hired him after Urban. Arkansas, Ole Miss and Tennessee all should have hired him at times, and didn’t, because he was weird. They lost out.

80% of the college football world acknowledges that he’s an elite coach and should be in the HOF, but we should listen to you? Yeah OKAY.

I don’t care how old it is. As recently as 2019, it was run at an elite level, and would have been done here had he lived.

It’s literally amazing what the man accomplished. I hated that we hired him honestly, because I knew our mouth breathers wouldn’t appreciate him.

• Haha
Reactions: L4Dawg

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
This is kinda regarding attendance. But they need to move the student section back to the east side. That side has very thin the past two years and it's embarrassing when opposing fans fill it up. Also it's the side TV sees.

Cohen should have built the "balconies" in the north endzone. Or used that money to install chairbacks and pair those chairback seats with the gridiron club.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Don't rely so much on your own opinion or those on The Pack. Pay closer attention to players and coaches. There's reasons he's being considered for HOF.
Nobody said he wasnt a brilliant coach. But for whatever reasons State fans didn't show in big numbers during his time here.

Whatever that reason is, can be wildly debated. However I remember even Robbie Faulk mentioned the novelty(maybe he used a different word) of Leach had worn. It could be seen in the empty seats. Or opposing fans.

Reactions: RopeDawg and Dawgg

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Nobody said he wasnt a brilliant coach. But for whatever reasons State fans didn't show in big numbers during his time here.

Whatever that reason is, can be wildly debated. However I remember even Robbie Faulk mentioned the novelty(maybe he used a different word) of Leach had worn. It could be seen in the empty seats. Or opposing fans.
I liked Leach as a person. But, that air raid concept isn’t something we need here in MS where QBs are a rare commodity. We need the next Dan Mullen, and I’m pretty sure we got him. Just gonna have to enjoy it while it lasts, if it works out.

Reactions: Maroon13
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login