Come home Dan Mullen

Fighting Irish.sixpack

Oct 26, 2012
LOLOL! You want Dopey Dan for a coach in an era of having to not only recruit future years classes and also have to re-recruit his current players?!?! LOLOLOLOLOL.
We have more players in the NFL now than we have ever had before. All but two of them were recruited by Dan Mullen. So take your jeans, page argument he cannot recruit and shove it up your a$$!

Form your own opinion. Don’t listen to what know it all Paul Jones tells you. He is less informative than Gene Swindoll!

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
We have more players in the NFL now than we have ever had before. All but two of them were recruited by Dan Mullen. So take your jeans, page argument he cannot recruit and shove it up your a$$!

Form your own opinion. Don’t listen to what know it all Paul Jones tells you. He is less informative than Gene Swindoll!
Look here, little man. I form my own opinions and I haven’t been on Jeans in decades. Yes, we have NFL players in the league now. The Dopester was in the right place at the right time but he never wanted to be here. His philosophy was to build a development program. That didn’t fly in Florida three years ago and it most certainly won’t fly here going forward when you have to recruit the future and the current players.

Reactions: BreckyBratt

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Look here, little man. I form my own opinions and I haven’t been on Jeans in decades. Yes, we have NFL players in the league now. The Dopester was in the right place at the right time but he never wanted to be here. His philosophy was to build a development program. That didn’t fly in Florida three years ago and it most certainly won’t fly here going forward when you have to recruit the future and the current players.
We probably would lose talent to other schools some if we rehired Mullen, but at least we would be a competitive program.

Does anyone think we'd be 1-3 right now if we'd hired Mullen (a Mullen who wanted to be here) this past offseason? Does anyone think a Mullen-coached team would ever be completely dominated by Toledo?

hailmari1

Aug 29, 2017
We probably would lose talent to other schools some if we rehired Mullen, but at least we would be a competitive program.

Does anyone think we'd be 1-3 right now if we'd hired Mullen (a Mullen who wanted to be here) this past offseason? Does anyone think a Mullen-coached team would ever be completely dominated by Toledo?
What talent?

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
It all comes down to whether or not he wants to be a head coach again, and further, whether or not he wants to be in Starkville. The likelihood the answer to both of those is yes is remote, IMO.

Reactions: Corby.sixpack

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022

How quickly you forget the USA game.

BulldawgFan

Oct 7, 2013
I would take him back in a heartbeat. He’d be less likely to be on the hunt for greener pastures. Having said that, I think that was a big part of his motivation and his success during his tenure here. I think he’d have to be hungry for vengeance of some sort. Otherwise, I wouldn’t want an unmotivated Mullen.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
How quickly you forget the USA game.
Given some circumstances in my personal life going on around that time, I can assure you that's a game I'll never forget.

That was an extremely fluky game where we outgained South Alabama (they sure don't deserve the "USA" acronym) and we missed a chip-shot field goal to lose. They sure as hell didn't dominate both lines of scrimmage.

Maybe Mullen would have lost to Toledo (doubt it though), but it wouldn't have resembled Lebby's loss to them - I think even the Mullen haters have to agree with that.

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022
Given some circumstances in my personal life going on around that time, I can assure you that's a game I'll never forget.

That was an extremely fluky game where we outgained South Alabama (they sure don't deserve the "USA" acronym) and we missed a chip-shot field goal to lose. They sure as hell didn't dominate both lines of scrimmage.

Maybe Mullen would have lost to Toledo (doubt it though), but it wouldn't have resembled Lebby's loss to them - I think even the Mullen haters have to agree with that.
Not a Mullen hater. Just a realist. Nobody was winning against Toledo with this team. It's gonna be even more iffy than Mullins year against UMass with this squad.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
showtime is ****!!

Bring back spread the fun, this is going to be exciting!
Sarcastic Willy Wonka GIF

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Don't you know our fans are too good for that?
They would rather be 2-10. With coaches that don't understand you build your teams off a strong front 7 on defense which he did. Then scheming your offense with what you have. But our fans would rather suck. They would rather experiment every year

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022
Mullen wouldn't have coached "this team" though - he would have coached his own team, which likely would have looked totally different.
If he would have stayed he could have been our Kyle Witthingham. He didn't stay so that's outta the question to say this would've been his team is a big stretch after the last three seasons. We literally had a coach die prematurely, a school president promote from within which killed evrything a legend built, and a first time AD hire a familiar face for a first time HC. This so far from a Mullen team I don't see how you can say he'd win in this situation.

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022
Don't you know our fans are too good for that?
They would rather be 2-10. With coaches that don't understand you build your teams off a strong front 7 on defense which he did. Then scheming your offense with what you have. But our fans would rather suck. They would rather experiment every year
So let's play coach roulette every year or two. Thats working out great for us so far that we've tried it.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
So let's play coach roulette every year or two. Thats working out great for us so far that we've tried it.
Didn't say we needed to fire lebby. Just saying poor decisions by our leadership are what put us here. And a majority of our fans and admins turn their noses up to good coaches. So we get what we get. Cohen then Selmon now Arnett and Lebby.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
If he would have stayed he could have been our Kyle Witthingham. He didn't stay so that's outta the question to say this would've been his team is a big stretch after the last three seasons. We literally had a coach die prematurely, a school president promote from within which killed evrything a legend built, and a first time AD hire a familiar face for a first time HC. This so far from a Mullen team I don't see how you can say he'd win in this situation.
My point is that the majority of our starters were recruited by Lebby through the portal this past offseason. If everything played out exactly the same through November 2023, and then we had hired Mullen in instead of Lebby (and I know it's all kinda meaningless because Mullen didn't want our job), everything would be different - Mullen would have brought in different players, different assistants, different scheme, etc.

Whatever team Mullen put out there in 2024 would not have resembled what Lebby is putting out there now. And I am as close to 100% confident that he would have us better than 1-3, and that we wouldn't have been completely dominated by Toledo.