Copa America 2024 thread

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
The US team is overrated by the same pundits all flipping out now. They actually played a good first half against a superior team. They’ll bounce GB, but it won’t change the trajectory one bit.

Had Weah not lost his head maybe they get out of the group but that is still their ceiling. The US hype team on this “golden generation” can ease up a bit now I suppose. They are more talented overall than past teams, but they still lack the overall quality up top and at CB/goalie to really matter. We have a keeper who so bad with his feet/distribution he was laughing at himself as he kicked the ball out for the third time.
I think the issue with this generation of guys is that a lot of them got off to really strong starts early in their careers, but have sort of leveled out and/or not developed at the rate that you'd hope. 3-4 years ago, we were a super young team that had guys playing at many of the top clubs in the world. Now, you've got guys like Reyna fighting for minutes and trying to figure out the next move in his career, Tyler Adams not being able to play enough and trying to figure out his club situation, every one of our GKs either sitting the bench at a good club, or playing at a lower-tier club, and someone like Konrad who 4 years ago was seeing some time for Barcelona, and now gets his minutes in the 2nd tier of Spain (not to mention some of our attackers like Sarge who landed in the Championship, Pepi who had to go back to Holland to find minutes, Aaronson in the Championship, etc).

We're basically a top 15ish team in the world on paper, and we're playing like a top 15ish team. Some of our prior teams were able to get more out of it than the sum of our parts, but this group is getting about what should be expected from the player pool we have at our disposal.

Really need guys to work out their club situations in the next 24 months and be playing and developing heading into 2026. There is enough talent there to make some noise (especially at home), but also need to recognize that to do so, we need to stay healthy, get some breaks, and have guys continuing to develop.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaJollaCreek

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
At the end of the day, this is still a worldwide sport that starts in the street or empty lot And not at the travel club, academy, or everyone gets a trophy at the league banquet Level.

Street level, kids looking down at a ball at their feet all day long, without drinking out of some water bottle With a logo On it.

Will the USA men’s team ever get there? I believe they have a few players who have experienced this but not enough. Maybe one day.

BTW, Refereeing at this level or any level in soccer is almost always atrocious, everyone knows this. Score first and force the game.
This.

I have been to Brazil on a number of occasions with family. We will drive through the city, on some random Tuesday at 11:30 p.m. and the local park (if you want to call it that, it's really a semi-paved lot that had some fencing put up with lights) is packed with kids. Some have shoes, some don't. Some come from money, some don't. No coach, no league, no one separated by age or talent; just the local kids going at it for hours, day after day.

Now, no one in the USA will let little Timmy, day after day and on school nights, play until midnight with the local kids at the park. They just won't, and for good reason. But if you want to know why a bunch of privately coached guys can't hang and this country can't produce talent that makes us the envy of the world, that's why; it isn't in our cultural makeup, at least for this men's sport.

Reactions: Tgar

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
This.

I have been to Brazil on a number of occasions with family. We will drive through the city, on some random Tuesday at 11:30 p.m. and the local park (if you want to call it that, it's really a semi-paved lot that had some fencing put up with lights) is packed with kids. Some have shoes, some don't. Some come from money, some don't. No coach, no league, no one separated by age or talent; just the local kids going at it for hours, day after day.

Now, no one in the USA will let little Timmy, day after day and on school nights, play until midnight with the local kids at the park. They just won't, and for good reason. But if you want to know why a bunch of privately coached guys can't hang and this country can't produce talent that makes us the envy of the world, that's why; it isn't in our cultural makeup, at least for this men's sport.
My brother and I had the good fortune to spend a couple of years as kids ( 10 to 12 ) living in Buenos Aires. We watched it, we lived it, we experienced it. When I return to Argentina or any south or Central American country for travel, I still see it to this day. The lucky ones get identified, signed and developed if they can handle all that entails as well ( moving from family at an early age, it’s not day camp )

The Adam Sandler movie “ Hustle” while about basketball is a pretty solid depiction of how it really is out there in the world.

Reactions: BiochemPSU

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
so this is how VAR decided it was not offside on the Uruguayan goal. But the cameras are not down around the 18, so they are inexact extrapolations. Such BS

I've watched a number of the Euro matches and I'm dumbfounded by VAR calling offsides when the feet are even but an arm or shoulder happens to be ahead of the last defender. I'm not a soccer maven at all so my vision of offsides is skewed because of hockey but ok, if that's the rule, fine. And then I see this play last night and it looks pretty damn obvious and yet after 5 minutes, they uphold the call.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I've watched a number of the Euro matches and I'm dumbfounded by VAR calling offsides when the feet are even but an arm or shoulder happens to be ahead of the last defender. I'm not a soccer maven at all so my vision of offsides is skewed because of hockey but ok, if that's the rule, fine. And then I see this play last night and it looks pretty damn obvious and yet after 5 minutes, they uphold the call.

that one is pretty easy to explain.

it's illegal for a player to use their arm to play the ball. The definition of what is the arm has evolved in soccer. The current interpretation of the arm is you draw a line from the armpit up (thus including the shoulder), and then to the bottom of the fingers.

Since it's illegal to play the ball with the arm (including the shoulder), those part of the body can be past the 2nd to last defender, and the offensive player is still considered onside.

Years ago, if any part of the body (including the arm) was past the 2nd to last defender, then the offensive player was considered offside. About 10 years ago (+ or - a few years), the Rules of the Game were changed so that only the parts of the offensive player that could play the ball were included for evaluations of offside.

The ruling by VAR in last night's USA match is a tough one. Unlike at the EUROs, or the Premier league, there are not cameras set at the 18 in Copa America to be used for offside. So the lines shown in the VAR post above (or on TV) are extrapolated lines. I still feel that the Uruguayan player's knee is offside, even with the extrapolated lines, but it's close.

Last edited:

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Final: 1-0, Uruguay

I know nothing about soccer and have no desire to learn because, next to golf, I consider it the most boring sport on earth. Simply put, I just don't care, even though Elisabeth Shue loves the sport and was a talented player in high school. Hmmm. Maybe I should call her.
Anyway, I realize millions of Americans, and lots of posters here, do care. The problem is, most elite athletes in this country don't care, and so they play football, basketball, and baseball. Until that changes, if it ever does, the USA will be an also-ran in the world of soccer. Now, where did I put Elisabeth's number???

Last edited:
Reactions: MacNit and NOLADan

Locopsu

Oct 7, 2021
At the end of the day, this is still a worldwide sport that starts in the street or empty lot And not at the travel club, academy, or everyone gets a trophy at the league banquet Level.

Street level, kids looking down at a ball at their feet all day long, without drinking out of some water bottle With a logo On it.

Will the USA men’s team ever get there? I believe they have a few players who have experienced this but not enough. Maybe one day.

BTW, Refereeing at this level or any level in soccer is almost always atrocious, everyone knows this. Score first and force the game.
Agree with this. “BTW, Refereeing at this level or any level in soccer is almost always atrocious, everyone knows this. Score first and force the game.”

and they did against Panama and sh@t bed. Should be able to play D, but GGG is no inept.

Locopsu

Oct 7, 2021
This.

We lived in Germany and Switzerland, they kids played on the pavement at lunch, destroyed many balls. I did not know I was responsible for supplying balls for my son’s class. LOL

Reactions: LionJim

Locopsu

Oct 7, 2021
Europe is invested in technology especially in Germany, not so much in Spain which had controversial VAR calls. It gets worse as you move east in Europe. CONCACAF invested $0 in VAR, so they can play shenanigans with teams. And agree call was clear.

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
We lived in Germany and Switzerland, they kids played on the pavement at lunch, destroyed many balls. I did not know I was responsible for supplying balls for my son’s class. LOL
I believe it.

If you reverse things, come down to south florida and see the tons of Europeans as well as south and central Americans living here and having kids. It's the same result, none of these kids turn into anything special when you hand them a soccer ball.

NOLADan

Oct 27, 2021
I know nothing about soccer and have no desire to learn because, next to golf, I consider it the most boring sport on earth. Simply put, I just don't care, even though Elisabeth Shue loves the sport and was a talented player in high school. Hmmm. Maybe I should call her.
Anyway, I realize millions of Americans, and lots of posters here, do care. The problem is, most elite athletes in this country don't care, and so they play football, basketball, and baseball. Until that changes, if it ever does, the USA will be an also-ran in the world of soccer. Now, where did I put Elisabeth's number???
I enjoy soccer soccer very much; ever since the U.S. hosted the World Cup in the '90's, I've been hooked. However, watching the Copa and Euros this summer, it's almost become unwatchable with the poor officiating and the nonsense flopping. I mean, you'd think some of these guys have had their legs separated from their bodies the way they flail around on the ground; only to get up a few minutes later and run around as if it were nothing.

Reactions: fairgambit

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I enjoy soccer soccer very much; ever since the U.S. hosted the World Cup in the '90's, I've been hooked. However, watching the Copa and Euros this summer, it's almost become unwatchable with the poor officiating and the nonsense flopping. I mean, you'd think some of these guys have had their legs separated from their bodies the way they flail around on the ground; only to get up a few minutes later and run around as if it were nothing.

There are some components to this (the "flopping"):

1. Unless you've played soccer for years, it's hard to comprehend how much it can hurt to get struck in the leg -- most of the the time when you're not expecting it and/or getting fouled. Additionally, these guys wear the smallest, thinnest shin guards you can imagine (not at all like what is worn in youth soccer) -- they do so to increase their touch/control of the ball -- so they're far less protected than one might imagine. It hurts like he$$ when you're struck in the back of the leg, in the ankle, stepped on by a cleated opponent, etc. And while most players go down when hit as such, and feel a lot of pain at the instant of being struck, within a minute or so they usually are fine
2. A lot of the "flops" are, if you look carefully at the play, the result of being struck in a way (even if slightly) that causes the player with the ball to stumble and fall -- again, mostly unexpectedly. Experienced refs get pretty good (as long as they are not unexpectedly shielded) at not watching the ball, but watching if or where the contact is, and making calls accordingly. Only on slo-mo replay do most fans see this contact
3. The players have learned/been instructed to emphasize when getting fouled, as it makes it more likely they'll get a call in their favor, and possibly their opponent will receive a card. The extent to which this works depends on the quality of the ref. Fans of the player enhancing things feel for sure a call should be made in their team's favor, and fans of the opposing team feel for sure that a call should not be made against their team. It doesn't make things easy for the ref.
4. Lastly, there are players that simply dive to the ground as if they were fouled, even when that didn't take place. The fans typically react as mentioned in the above #3. The ref, with training, should be able to recognize this, and not award a foul. The simplest action of the ref is to wave them to get up/verbally call out "nothing," and "get up." The Laws of the Game state that a yellow card can be given for embellishment, and there have been incidents where refs have given such cards in the Euros. (Possibly at Copa America as well, but I can't remember one off the top of my head.) This situation does cause problems for soccer, as casual fans are turned off by it. Unfortunately, players embellishing a non-foul against them can look very much like those in the above #1 and #2, so unless you're trained to evaluate all of these different situations, it can end up looking as though all of these situations are flopping, and unwarranted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tgar and NOLADan

Locopsu

Oct 7, 2021
Pretty sure most of talent in base

Brazil have no midfielders, no #10, they rely on Vinny and forwards to create, they lose this round, Columbia crushed Panama again, Columbia v URU will be great game. Toss up. ARG is beating ECU, but not bc of Messi, they have so many good young players, VEN beats Canada, ARG V Columbia final, Columbia wins close one.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I'm not sure how I'd answer regarding each team's play in group play. Columbia really impressed me last night against Brazil, though Brazil, despite some individuals that have amazing talent, has not really played all that well as a team.

Reactions: Locopsu