Dan Mullen

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I know he has a bad rap about recruiting but you have to give him credit for signing Dak and a whole bunch of other guys that made it to the NFL. I thought Miss State football was fun to watch when he was here. He gave us some really good years. He had two losing seasons but still got us to a bowl game in one of them. I am not advocating for him to come back but we do need to give him his due for the good things he did do.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Dan Mullen is nearly as good as he wants to be. He is a dang good coach. Not great, but really good. I think NIL may actually help elevate him because he has more of a CEO mindset. I also don’t believe he ever had great position coaches. MSU has more money now and could surround him with more coaching and recruiting talent. I hate the way he left, but I’d take him back.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
If he comes back I hope he doesn't bring Hevesy with him.
Hevesy is a great OL coach on the field. He got the most out of the talent we had on the line, and developed several into NFL players.

HOWEVER, he should never - and I mean NEVER - be allowed near a recruit or his high school coach.

I used this analogy when he was here, but if you have a position coach like Hevesy on staff, you have to do like the army does: you don't meet the drill sergeant in the recruiting station. They wait and introduce him the first morning of boot camp... after you've signed the papers.

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
Mullen returning only sounds good (right now) because we know him and are desperate. It’s our comfort zone.
However I don’t like the idea. Mullen would come in with the attitude of “y’all need me”. True he may have learned some things since he left but most people don’t change their ways past 30. Dan wouldn’t have a fire in his arse like he did in 2009. He wouldn’t have anything to prove

patdog

May 28, 2007
No. It wouldn't be that bad. I doubt there's much interest in him coming back on either side. He's retired and enjoying it. We do need to maintain good relations with him just like we have with Jackie Sherrill, and we would have with Leach if he had been able to retire from here. I do think we need to call him (probably already have) and get his thought on this coaching search. I think he could really help us with this.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Dan Mullen is nearly as good as he wants to be. He is a dang good coach. Not great, but really good. I think NIL may actually help elevate him because he has more of a CEO mindset. I also don’t believe he ever had great position coaches. MSU has more money now and could surround him with more coaching and recruiting talent. I hate the way he left, but I’d take him back.
I don't hate the way he left. He is the only MSU coach in my nearly 60 years to leave voluntarily. Like it or not that means he was successful here for pretty much his whole tenure. I'd take that from every single coach we ever hire in any sport.

For the record I don't think there is much real interest in him coming back, from either side. If he IS interested, we would be fools if we don't take him.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Dan Mullen did a great job of developing QBs. I would love to see him back. I hope he has figured out how to keep a DC.

We know what to expect from him. He also knows what to expect from us. I think he would be successful again. Unlike most I believe he did a good job recruiting with our limitations. It would really upset the OM fans to see him back. He knows the area for recruiting and he does a good job developing talent. He would have a great goal too. It should only take him one season to win the most games at State. We know he can run an organization.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Hevesy is a great OL coach on the field. He got the most out of the talent we had on the line, and developed several into NFL players.

HOWEVER, he should never - and I mean NEVER - be allowed near a recruit or his high school coach.

I used this analogy when he was here, but if you have a position coach like Hevesy on staff, you have to do like the army does: you don't meet the drill sergeant in the recruiting station. They wait and introduce him the first morning of boot camp... after you've signed the papers.
I don't understand this because he was the one that recruited Dak

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I don't hate the way he left. He is the only MSU coach in my nearly 60 years to leave voluntarily. Like it or not that means he was successful here for pretty much his whole tenure. I'd take that from every single coach we ever hire in any sport.

For the record I don't think there is much real interest in him coming back, from either side. If he IS interested, we would be fools if we don't take him.
I think that's why so many hate him. He voluntarily left. State fans can't fathom anyone voluntarily leaving you either stay or we fire you.

Reactions: Dawg1976 and patdog

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
33-39 in his stop here in the SEC that was nowhere as good across the board.

No thank you

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

I know several recruits that he himself caused MSU to miss. Straight from their mouths.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023

The guy is a good OL coach, however he is toxic, and a world class ******* ( I knew him personally, halfway liked him and still thought he was an *******). Know there are some that would run through walls for him, but there are just as many that would like to hit him with their car. Not sure he fits college any longer, and not sure he will ever coach again.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I don't understand this because he was the one that recruited Dak
He was at a game and saw him play, then told Dan "Hey, this kid is going to be good. He's got a rare leadership quality. We need to get him", so yeah he gets credit for finding him.

But there are many stories where he ran off players, their parents, and coaches by being an @sshole, or maybe just too blunt or "honest" in recruiting. In general, you can't really put the @ssholes out front who are going to tell high school players how bad they looked, what they did wrong, how bad their technique is, or how miserable you are going to make their lives for the next 4 years without softening it up a little. Some guys have perfected delivering those messages with a light touch, giving the player a vision of how you can help him get better.

Some guys are just @ssholes by nature and don't bother with any of that. They just come in swinging the hammer and don't care who it hits.

Reactions: woozman and eckie1

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Dan Mullen did a great job of developing QBs. I would love to see him back. I hope he has figured out how to keep a DC.

We know what to expect from him. He also knows what to expect from us. I think he would be successful again. Unlike most I believe he did a good job recruiting with our limitations. It would really upset the OM fans to see him back. He knows the area for recruiting and he does a good job developing talent. He would have a great goal too. It should only take him one season to win the most games at State. We know he can run an organization.
Yes we do know what to expect. Less than 500 in the SEC (33-39) and in his tenure here 3-22 against ranked teams. The Air Raid produced more.

3-22 in 9 seasons vs 6 wins in 3 seasons.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Yes we do know what to expect. Less than 500 in the SEC (33-39) and in his tenure here 3-22 against ranked teams. The Air Raid produced more.

3-22 in 9 seasons vs 6 wins in 3 seasons.
Increase your NIL investment so we can rise above .500! He accomplished an amazing feat with the talent we had in 2014. Some of you have unrealistic expectations. I would love a NC in football. Which coach got us closest to that over the last 25 years?

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Increase your NIL investment so we can rise above .500! He accomplished an amazing feat with the talent we had in 2014. Some of you have unrealistic expectations. I would love a NC in football. Which coach got us closest to that over the last 25 years?
Not with Mullen. Period. Like I said, 3-22 vs ranked teams. If we can't do better than that, just leave the SEC. I don't live in the past. I don't want to walk that path again. There are better coaches out there that I would rather give an opportunity to.

Reactions: 60sdog

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
We know a lot more about Mullen now than the first time out of Florida. Every time he hits 8-4 we'll have to worry about who he's on a plane to see next. He did get us to a level above Sylvester Croom, but he folded like a cheap suit in big games. Yeah, 2014 was the closest we ever got, but we could have done even better if he hadn't sent Dak up the middle 60% of the time against Alabama and Ole Miss. Just because he gave us hope when he did, doesn't mean he can pull off the repeat. Not likely at all in my opinion.

Reactions: 60sdog

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
We know a lot more about Mullen now than the first time out of Florida. Every time he hits 8-4 we'll have to worry about who he's on a plane to see next. He did get us to a level above Sylvester Croom, but he folded like a cheap suit in big games. Yeah, 2014 was the closest we ever got, but we could have done even better if he hadn't sent Dak up the middle 60% of the time against Alabama and Ole Miss. Just because he gave us hope when he did, doesn't mean he can pull off the repeat. Not likely at all in my opinion.

And it's not even the same world anymore. We can not hire a coach, be it Mullen or Billy Bob, that runs a system that competes with the same players as TAMU, LSU, Bama, Auburn, Tx and most of the SEC. We will not out bid them.

So go find a coach that has an exciting offense to the players. Leach lived in the NIL world and still was able to make our WR room the best we ever had. Our QB room in depth was the best we ever had. etc etc. And it wasn't just the money for these players. WRS want to be targeted. It's how they get seen. QBs want to throw the ball... It's how they get showcased. RBs understand the world of football is changing and it's why the RB position has seen a drop off in pay in the NFL... down the the 8th paid position. So they have to learn to catch and FUNCTION in that capacity.

Get us something different that gives you at least an advantage somewhere.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
And as a follow up, He and his staff talked openly in front of the players at practice about the job they were taking at UT. That was in 2017. Just NO!

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
That is not going to make your case for Mullen. I think MSU is capable of better than 33-39 and 3-22 against ranked teams
You are using it to make yours, while ignoring our record without him. LOL.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Not with Mullen. Period. Like I said, 3-22 vs ranked teams. If we can't do better than that, just leave the SEC. I don't live in the past. I don't want to walk that path again. There are better coaches out there that I would rather give an opportunity to.
Leaving the SEC would be absolutely INSANE. You are nuts.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
At least we HAD big games while he was here.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login