Dan Mullen

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
And it's not even the same world anymore. We can not hire a coach, be it Mullen or Billy Bob, that runs a system that competes with the same players as TAMU, LSU, Bama, Auburn, Tx and most of the SEC. We will not out bid them.

So go find a coach that has an exciting offense to the players. Leach lived in the NIL world and still was able to make our WR room the best we ever had. Our QB room in depth was the best we ever had. etc etc. And it wasn't just the money for these players. WRS want to be targeted. It's how they get seen. QBs want to throw the ball... It's how they get showcased. RBs understand the world of football is changing and it's why the RB position has seen a drop off in pay in the NFL... down the the 8th paid position. So they have to learn to catch and FUNCTION in that capacity.

Get us something different that gives you at least an advantage somewhere.
If you really want to win that's what you have to do. Scheme only carries you so far. You ain't going to beat Bama or any of the big boys getting 3-4 yards a play, whether you are doing it with the wishbone, or the Leach air raid. Both offenses are essentially the same thing, desired result wise.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
33-39 in his stop here in the SEC that was nowhere as good across the board.

No thank you
33-39 in SEC means he averaged almost 8 wins per year. Down side of a talent cycle - we win 6-7 & up side of the cycle we win 9 maybe 10. Sign me up for those results for another 10 years. My only requirement would be no Hevesy, Gonzales, or Sallach. I can even live with the revolving door of defensive coordinators because they all either left for better jobs or he ran them off if they did not perform.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
33-39 in SEC means he averaged almost 8 wins per year. Down side of a talent cycle - we win 6-7 & up side of the cycle we win 9 maybe 10. Sign me up for those results for another 10 years. My only requirement would be no Hevesy, Gonzales, or Sallach. I can even live with the revolving door of defensive coordinators because they all either left for better jobs or he ran them off if they did not perform.

It's average is a little over 7 games per season. We can do better.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Coaching is transitional. We know his pros and cons. If he's the best we can get then you contractually mitigate the perceived con of "job hopper". Offer him a contract that mitigates that. If he says no, then he says no and you move on.

Some of y'all get too emotional about jobs and contracts. Coaching is a business decision for 95%+ out there. If you are expecting a quality coach to show up whom everyone else wants but is committed to a pine box at the cemetery on University, then you are going to be standing around with your thumb up your *** for a long time.

BulldawgFan

Oct 7, 2013
Yes we do know what to expect. Less than 500 in the SEC (33-39) and in his tenure here 3-22 against ranked teams. The Air Raid produced more.

3-22 in 9 seasons vs 6 wins in 3 seasons.
Where are you pulling these numbers from? If you look at wins versus Top 25 in the final rankings Mullen had 3 wins and Leach had 2. If you look at wins versus Top 25 at the time of the game Mullen had 7 and Leach had 7. Either way you are wrong.

Stop spreading lies just because you don't like Mullen.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Where are you pulling these numbers from? If you look at wins versus Top 25 in the final rankings Mullen had 3 wins and Leach had 2. If you look at wins versus Top 25 at the time of the game Mullen had 7 and Leach had 7. Either way you are wrong.

yep

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Is Dan Mullen the best football coach that MSU has had in the past 40 years? Who has been better? Why would we not want him back?
If he's bringing Dak with him to play QB, then hell yes. But he's not. He had a generational QB, and almost certainly would not get another one. You have to anticipate what his results will look like in the 2020s, not the 2010s. Has his offense adjusted? His recruiting? His staff? His head coaching philosophy? His opposition? When you stop to think about it rather than just reminiscing, you realize he will absolutely achieve worse results than his last go round. No thanks.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

I did not spread anything. And You just made my point! Thank you.

Leach did more for MSU than Mullen and did it is a shorter amount of time. We do not need to go backwards.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
People are overlooking this. The atmosphere has not been the same since he left. Moorhead's teams were sloppy and boring. Leach (RIP) gave us a chance to win but it was pretty boring to watch most of the time. Arnett...well we know what happened there.

Have we had a sellout since Mullen left?

Yes. We have. How ever, we are a different fan base than 10 years ago thanks to him in part. We will no longer accept what he offers. He really brings nothing to the table that will push us into a better position.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
If he's bringing Dak with him to play QB, then hell yes. But he's not. He had a generational QB, and almost certainly would not get another one. You have to anticipate what his results will look like in the 2020s, not the 2010s. Has his offense adjusted? His recruiting? His staff? His head coaching philosophy? His opposition? When you stop to think about it rather than just reminiscing, you realize he will absolutely achieve worse results than his last go round. No thanks.
Dang it. I agree with Boom Boom!

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
I think that's why so many hate him. He voluntarily left. State fans can't fathom anyone voluntarily leaving you either stay or we fire you.

Is Dan Mullen the best football coach that MSU has had in the past 40 years? Who has been better? Why would we not want him back?
No he is not. Leach was a better coach. Don't want him back because he spent at least the last 1/4 of the season the last few years doing everything he could to get out while abandoning our team every year.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Hevesy is a great OL coach on the field. He got the most out of the talent we had on the line, and developed several into NFL players.

HOWEVER, he should never - and I mean NEVER - be allowed near a recruit or his high school coach.

I used this analogy when he was here, but if you have a position coach like Hevesy on staff, you have to do like the army does: you don't meet the drill sergeant in the recruiting station. They wait and introduce him the first morning of boot camp... after you've signed the papers.
Problem is you need all coaches recruiting. They don’t all have to be great but you need all of them.

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
Because of the way he left, because of the way he constantly looked to jump ship, because of the way he treated players, because of the way he stunk it up in big games, because just because he did better than Croom before, doesn't mean he can gain, and more....Honorable mention: Holloway up the middle

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
No he is not. Leach was a better coach. Don't want him back because he spent at least the last 1/4 of the season the last few years doing everything he could to get out while abandoning our team every year.
That's just emotional ramblings and basesless with out factual evidence

Reactions: kired

PhiDawg

Aug 2, 2023
I can handle Dan but not Jimmy Sexton. Jimmy turned most off seasons into a public clown show by talking to Finebaum during contract renegotiations. All good and well if this stuff was in a vacuum. But it's not. Other coaches would fill recruits' heads full of crap about Dan leaving and they would sign elsewhere. In most years Dan would get a pay raise while self-sabotaging his own recruiting classes thru Sexton's antics.

It's almost like Sexton doesn't value the MSU brand the way he approached this stuff. He doesn't act this way for all his clients.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I can handle Dan but not Jimmy Sexton. Jimmy turned most off seasons into a public clown show by talking to Finebaum during contract renegotiations. All good and well if this stuff was in a vacuum. But it's not. Other coaches would fill recruits' heads full of crap about Dan leaving and they would sign elsewhere. In most years Dan would get a pay raise while self-sabotaging his own recruiting classes thru Sexton's antics.

It's almost like Sexton doesn't value the MSU brand the way he approached this stuff. He doesn't act this way for all his clients.
IF we hire Dan back the buy out has to be huge. Like big enough that if he is winning and leaves it helps us a lot.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Ive been quiet on the Dan Mullen threads. I honestly can take him or leave him.

But this is horse ****. The job he did with Chris Relf in 2010 should enshrine him in the Coaching Hall of Fame. Then he followed up Dak with Fitzgerald. It wasn't a "once in a generation" QB - it was an incredible QB coach.

Dan Mullen + Chris Parsons could be the Dak era 2.0 - meaning we could have some really big games and play on some really big stages. With a 12-team playoff, who knows?

In a 12-team playoff era, we make the playoffs twice and would have been a win away two more times with Dan Mullen.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Hevesy is a great OL coach on the field. He got the most out of the talent we had on the line, and developed several into NFL players.

HOWEVER, he should never - and I mean NEVER - be allowed near a recruit or his high school coach.

I used this analogy when he was here, but if you have a position coach like Hevesy on staff, you have to do like the army does: you don't meet the drill sergeant in the recruiting station. They wait and introduce him the first morning of boot camp... after you've signed the papers.
Wasn’t Hevesy Dak’s main recruiter ?

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
No. He left us. He then went to UF, a team with EVERYTHING you need to be successful and still didn't git 'er done. If he fell short at UF, with ALL the advantages they have that we don't, why do you think he would do any better here second time around? IF he was as good as some of you claim then why the lack of success with the tons of advantages at UF? I've said this before, we need a coach AND a staff that can get our 3 star guys to play like 4 and 5 star guys. I'd take him as OC/position coach but NO to the HC job.

Reactions: $altyDawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

But this is horse ****. The job he did with Chris Relf in 2010 should enshrine him in the Coaching Hall of Fame. Then he followed up Dak with Fitzgerald. It wasn't a "once in a generation" QB - it was an incredible QB coach.

Dan Mullen + Chris Parsons could be the Dak era 2.0 - meaning we could have some really big games and play on some really big stages. With a 12-team playoff, who knows?

In a 12-team playoff era, we make the playoffs twice and would have been a win away two more times with Dan Mullen.
Reading comprehension fail. I didn't say he wasn't a good or even great QB coach. He is. I pointed out that most of his success came when he had a generational QB, one who is still thriving in the NFL. He likely won't get a QB like that again. What level of success can we expect from Dan without a Dak? He never finished above .500 in the SEC without Dak. I doubt he wins more than 2 if we hire him.

Dan was a fine coach, but his negatives did and always will prevent him from being a great coach. And by all accounts those negatives are greater now, not lesser.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
No. He left us. He then went to UF, a team with EVERYTHING you need to be successful and still didn't git 'er done. If he fell short at UF, with ALL the advantages they have that we don't, why do you think he would do any better here second time around? IF he was as good as some of you claim then why the lack of success with the tons of advantages at UF? I've said this before, we need a coach AND a staff that can get our 3 star guys to play like 4 and 5 star guys. I'd take him as OC/position coach but NO to the HC job.
He took a dumpster fire to three 10-win seasons, 2 East titles and almost to the Playoff. He was let go after a 6-7 season that they have had two more of since.

Maybe, and I'm just a dumbass, but maybe, Mullen is good at taking 2-and 3-star talent and coaching them up rather than taking 5-star talent and coaching them up. He's not a Pre Madonna coach. He's a Johnathan Banks coach.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Reading comprehension fail. I didn't say he wasn't a good or even great QB coach. He is. I pointed out that most of his success came when he had a generational QB, one who is still thriving in the NFL. He likely won't get a QB like that again. What level of success can we expect from Dan without a Dak? He never finished above .500 in the SEC without Dak. I doubt he wins more than 2 if we hire him.

Dan was a fine coach, but his negatives did and always will prevent him from being a great coach. And by all accounts those negatives are greater now, not lesser.
Got some bad news for you, Mississippi State has finished above .500 in the SEC 18 times since 1933 (91 seasons) 8 of those 18 were before 1946. So in 77 years, we have 10 seasons where we finished above .500. Mullen had one, Sherrill had three.

If you are expecting a coach to go above .500 regularly in the SEC, you are going to be disappointed.

Reactions: Bullldawg78

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

THIS.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
17 you.

I don’t give a damn who we hire as long as we win.

17 you if your ego comes before us winning.
Funny you'd say that, it sounds like you're talking about ole Danny boy and how he acted the last quarter of the season his last few seasons?

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Got some bad news for you, Mississippi State has finished above .500 in the SEC 18 times since 1933 (91 seasons) 8 of those 18 were before 1946. So in 77 years, we have 10 seasons where we finished above .500. Mullen had one, Sherrill had three.

If you are expecting a coach to go above .500 regularly in the SEC, you are going to be disappointed.
It ain't the same world anymore.

Hiring Mullen is absolutely waving a white flag and saying we just want to be average again. No thanks.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
He took a dumpster fire to three 10-win seasons, 2 East titles and almost to the Playoff. He was let go after a 6-7 season that they have had two more of since.

Maybe, and I'm just a dumbass, but maybe, Mullen is good at taking 2-and 3-star talent and coaching them up rather than taking 5-star talent and coaching them up. He's not a Pre Madonna coach. He's a Johnathan Banks coach.
THIS too.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
It ain't the same world anymore.
I'd make the argument that this is exactly WHY we need Mullen.

We are about to be 15th in the SEC in NIL. We need a coach that can take 3-star talent, mix in a couple of 4-stars and win against the Kentucky, Arkansas, South Carolina, Ole Miss type schools and give us an occasional chance to win against the Florida/LSU/A&M/Texas/Oklahoma crowd, and if lightning strikes, a chance against Alabama/Georgia.

That was Dan Mullen. You know who hates Dan Mullen? Kentucky. We need to focus on beating Kentucky, not Alabama.

Hiring Mullen is absolutely waving a white flag and saying we just want to be average again. No thanks.

I want to be average again. We are not going to be in the top quartile of the new SEC. We need to be fighting to be in the 7th-10th range.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login