Dan Mullen

Spotdawg

Feb 15, 2007
No, I won't invoke their name(s) in a conversation of which they are not a party-not my place. I will say that if you have ever had any contact with Hevesy, you would not have any trouble believing the statement.

revereno

Jun 17, 2014
I'm not sure why anyone thinks Mullen would want to return here and take on a rebuilding job. He coached at some level for 25 years, made probably $40-50M the last 15. Florida still pays him $1M each year to not coach. He's got a job keeping him connected to the sport with ESPN. His kids are at an age where they are probably going to be heavily involved in sports themselves.

He doesn't have to coach another day in his life. I really can't imagine him taking the job no matter what we offered.
Ultimately, it's about Dan's ego. Always has been and always will be. That's the reason he succeeded here or failed depending on who you ask.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I don't understand this because he was the one that recruited Dak
Honestly that one was as much an indictment on LSU's recruiting than a plus for us. All we did was recruit him as a QB instead of a TE or LB or whatever the idiots at LSU told him. Otherwise, the iconic picture of Dak Heismanning of a player during the LSU-MSU game would've had Dak in purple and gold.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
We know a lot more about Mullen now than the first time out of Florida. Every time he hits 8-4 we'll have to worry about who he's on a plane to see next. He did get us to a level above Sylvester Croom, but he folded like a cheap suit in big games. Yeah, 2014 was the closest we ever got, but we could have done even better if he hadn't sent Dak up the middle 60% of the time against Alabama and Ole Miss. Just because he gave us hope when he did, doesn't mean he can pull off the repeat. Not likely at all in my opinion.
He puckered up so tight in every big game that you could feel through the TV. You pretty much knew that you had no chance to win any of them with Dan at the helm.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

JWSDawgs

Mar 16, 2021
Whoever has not listened to this interview with Dan then I would encourage you to listen to it especially for the people who hate on Dan. You will see he is much more laid back now and you will learn about some of the nice things he did for kids in Mississippi that not many people know about.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I still have to laugh at people who treat an ex-coach as an ex-wife. To almost all coaches this is strictly a business. That's the way we should treat it. Let's say your business is booming, and a top employee leaves for a better job. Your business goes in the tank because this employee left. Now you have an option hire this employee back. Do you do it? ...Damn right you do. That being said I don't think we have that opportunity, but if we do and we don't, we are stupid idiots.

BulldawgFan

Oct 7, 2013
Leach did way better against ranked teams than Dan. I'd sooner have a Leach tree guy than Dan.

Leach did way better against ranked teams than Dan. I'd sooner have a Leach tree guy than Dan.

I still have to laugh at people who treat an ex-coach as an ex-wife. To almost all coaches this is strictly a business. That's the way we should treat it. Let's say your business is booming, and a top employee leaves for a better job. Your business goes in the tank because this employee left. Now you have an option hire this employee back. Do you do it? ...Damn right you do. That being said I don't think we have that opportunity, but if we do and we don't, we are stupid idiots.
I imagine they go through life finding and holding grudges about everything.

Coworker finds better job? Grudge because they're not loyal.
Neighbors move to better neighborhood? Grudge because they're not loyal.
Preacher retired? Grudge because they're not loyal.
Child moves out of state for college? Grudge because they're not loyal.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
Disney just did this with Bob Isner...

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I imagine they go through life finding and holding grudges about everything.

Coworker finds better job? Grudge because they're not loyal.
Neighbors move to better neighborhood? Grudge because they're not loyal.
Preacher retired? Grudge because they're not loyal.
Child moves out of state for college? Grudge because they're not loyal.
I'm not holding a grudge. I did not enjoy his last few years, other than the early season success in 2014, and I don't want him back. He had already been in job shopping mode end of season for a while and 2014, while a lot of fun early one, demonstrated that even with a generational QB, and future NFL star, he couldn't even find a way to compete against the Alabama's of the SEC. I'd like someone who isn't scared to death to take a swing at those guys and doesn't cave under the pressure of trying to compete in the West.

JWSDawgs

Mar 16, 2021
Who else gets the vibe after listening to this interview that he is more laid back since he’s not coaching anymore?

Reactions: Dawg84

Jack Klompus.sixpack

Mar 6, 2021
I appreciate everything Dan Mullen did during his time at State. One shot, that is all he deserves. He left because that is what he wanted, and he got we got. Hopefully, it’s time State finally gets what it deserves, a coach that wants to be here and lives long enough to enjoy his vision of success for the program.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
This I wonder if they have never left a job for a better one or opportunities for things they couldn't get at the place they were at. I've had to do it.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I appreciate everything Dan Mullen did during his time at State. One shot, that is all he deserves. He left because that is what he wanted, and he got we got. Hopefully, it’s time State finally gets what it deserves, a coach that wants to be here and lives long enough to enjoy his vision of success for the program.
Wil never happen. If a coach comes here and is successful they will be poached eventually. You guys wanting a life time coach have to realize that doesn't happen that often. These coaches aren't state fans. And the ones who went here probably wouldn't even stay look at loafers and cohen. And the ones who would probably suck.

Reactions: BulldawgFan

Jack Klompus.sixpack

Mar 6, 2021
Wil never happen. If a coach comes here and is successful they will be poached eventually. You guys wanting a life time coach have to realize that doesn't happen that often. These coaches aren't state fans. And the ones who went here probably wouldn't even stay look at loafers and cohen. And the ones who would probably suck.
It happened. He died, not poached. He did not suck.

Reactions: blitz2Win

Dawg84

Jul 28, 2015
Whoever has not listened to this interview with Dan then I would encourage you to listen to it especially for the people who hate on Dan. You will see he is much more laid back now and you will learn about some of the nice things he did for kids in Mississippi that not many people know about.
It is a great interview. He seems to show a sincere appreciation of Mississippi State, the fans, and his time here.

Reactions: JWSDawgs

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
He isn’t coming back and I don’t blame him. We were lucky to have him as long as we did.
I’m not fooling myself into thinking that we will hire someone who is a unicorn. I have made my argument about Mullen. There is no reason to visit the idea again. I do wonder what is the precedent for rehiring a former D1 football coach . I’m sure you all have many great examples of this situation working.

No reasons why that would convince you who want him, I just don’t think it would and the game has changed since he was anything other than an analyst.

i’m not really sure his ego would let him.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login