Dan Mullen

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Don't misinterpret what I am saying. I'm on the fence on Mullen. I think you have to make a run at Chadwell (because he's Mullen circa 2009), then Leipold. After that, maybe Herman but if you drop down below Herman, you might as well go Mullen over a coordinator or a defensive coach from Troy.

Willie Fritz? Come on.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I'd make the argument that this is exactly WHY we need Mullen.

We are about to be 15th in the SEC in NIL. We need a coach that can take 3-star talent, mix in a couple of 4-stars and win against the Kentucky, Arkansas, South Carolina, Ole Miss type schools and give us an occasional chance to win against the Florida/LSU/A&M/Texas/Oklahoma crowd, and if lightning strikes, a chance against Alabama/Georgia.

That was Dan Mullen. You know who hates Dan Mullen? Kentucky. We need to focus on beating Kentucky, not Alabama.

I want to be average again. We are not going to be in the top quartile of the new SEC. We need to be fighting to be in the 7th-10th range.
You don't seem to realize that 2010 Dan Mullen and 2024 Dan Mullen are not the same. He very clearly doesn't have the fire. And that fire is a must to succeed at this level.

I would only even take 2010 Dainty Mittens if several others passed. He is a piss poor game day coach. He's good to great at running a program, but he's overmatched once the whistles start blowing. Pass.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Still dumb I see
Stevie Wonder Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
I'll take the Dan from -9 to 2014.
If he's grown up and repented of his sins, I'd take him back.
But if he's to 14-17 Dan, nope and his wife w/him

Reactions: Bullldawg78

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
Dan Mullen did a great job of developing QBs. I would love to see him back. I hope he has figured out how to keep a DC.

We know what to expect from him. He also knows what to expect from us. I think he would be successful again. Unlike most I believe he did a good job recruiting with our limitations. It would really upset the OM fans to see him back. He knows the area for recruiting and he does a good job developing talent. He would have a great goal too. It should only take him one season to win the most games at State. We know he can run an organization.

Yea, its amazing the facts people forget when they want to be all emotional about something.

All things considered i thought his departure was pretty clean. Had he left us in ncaa time-out that'd be different. Had we been forced to pay $77MM (that we damn sure don't have) that be different. And damn at all the superbowl caliber talent that he brought in year after year. DM is an easy buy unless there's someone better. And for what its worth DM looks healthier than any coach in the SEC....save maybe beamer.

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
Not with Mullen. Period. Like I said, 3-22 vs ranked teams. If we can't do better than that, just leave the SEC. I don't live in the past. I don't want to walk that path again. There are better coaches out there that I would rather give an opportunity to.
This is that fishwater stat. He won far more than 3 where the team was ranked at the time.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Is Dan Mullen the best football coach that MSU has had in the past 40 years? Who has been better? Why would we not want him back?
It‘s all a matter of whether the Good Ol’ Boys have the same short memories some others do about Mullen. I imagine that they will be keen about keeping the same old people in charge. I’ll support him if they do. I don’t have any else in mind,but I am not a fan.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Mike Leach will be enshrined in the College Football Hall of Fame and has former offensive assistants coaching all over the place. The Dopester will be remembered as an assistant coach on Florida’s national championship teams.

Leach is the superior
No. He left us. He then went to UF, a team with EVERYTHING you need to be successful and still didn't git 'er done. If he fell short at UF, with ALL the advantages they have that we don't, why do you think he would do any better here second time around? IF he was as good as some of you claim then why the lack of success with the tons of advantages at UF? I've said this before, we need a coach AND a staff that can get our 3 star guys to play like 4 and 5 star guys. I'd take him as OC/position coach but NO to the HC job.
Think about the teams who have won the sec and won it all in last 10 years. Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and UGA. And auburn didn't win it all. Alabama also lost to Clemson twice. LSU only won it once. All of those teams were loaded with talent. All of them had to get through Kirby or Saban. Saban is a once in a lifetime coach. He won the east his first year. He had trouble beating Kirby. So are a lot of other coaches that are loaded with talent and that are seen as top end coaches. Kirby and Saban are juggernauts and Chances of us getting a coach that will beat them regularly or if ever are slim to none now that they have their programs built. Leach couldn't do it. Kiffin can't do it. Hugh managed it twice with loaded talent and a horse shoe. Gus did it but our fans don't think he is good enough either. Some how our fans think someone out of G5 is magically gonna come out of nowhere and start beating Kirby and saban. Better chance of me winning the lottery this week.

JWSDawgs

Mar 16, 2021
Their son is a big time golfer and Old Waverly was a big draw to get them here the first time so I would think with their son big into golf they would want to be back near Old Waverly. Just my 2 thoughts on the matter.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
I know he has a bad rap about recruiting but you have to give him credit for signing Dak and a whole bunch of other guys that made it to the NFL. I thought Miss State football was fun to watch when he was here. He gave us some really good years. He had two losing seasons but still got us to a bowl game in one of them. I am not advocating for him to come back but we do need to give him his due for the good things he did do.
Because of his shopping jobs regularly at the end of seasons, he single handedly lost three EBs because he was checked out. For that, he should never be welcomed here again. He had love strictly for himself, not MSU.

Reactions: maroonmadman

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
Ive been quiet on the Dan Mullen threads. I honestly can take him or leave him.

But this is horse ****. The job he did with Chris Relf in 2010 should enshrine him in the Coaching Hall of Fame. Then he followed up Dak with Fitzgerald. It wasn't a "once in a generation" QB - it was an incredible QB coach.

Dan Mullen + Chris Parsons could be the Dak era 2.0 - meaning we could have some really big games and play on some really big stages. With a 12-team playoff, who knows?

In a 12-team playoff era, we make the playoffs twice and would have been a win away two more times with Dan Mullen.
I agree with a lot of that. The only part I see differently is the Parsons and Dan being Dak era 2.0. Parsons is a completely different QB and not suited for a power running attack. He's much more suited for a modified Air Raid where he can use his shiftyness in space to gain yards.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I agree with a lot of that. The only part I see differently is the Parsons and Dan being Dak era 2.0. Parsons is a completely different QB and not suited for a power running attack. He's much more suited for a modified Air Raid where he can use his shiftyness in space to gain yards.
Chris leak, Kyle trask, Tyler Russell. Those guys weren't really his guys but he modified the offense to work. With parson you would see more 2015 offense

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
Chris leak, Kyle trask, Tyler Russell. Those guys weren't really his guys but he modified the offense to work. With parson you would see more 2015 offense
Agreed. I'm not saying that he can't or won't adjust his offense to fit Parson, I'm saying it wouldn't be Dak 2.0 because they are different players.

Grove Sh.tter

Sep 30, 2022
Dan was a master of finding and developing overlooked talent into top tier NFL guys. He also requires off-field discipline that is often difficult to maintain. This may be harder with NIL.

The cons stack nearly as high as the pros. His disinterest in recruiting, wandering late-season eye, and clock management left a bad taste for me.

I think he is super competitive and would want to succeed here, but I don't think it would be as good as before. The only way I think it works is with a low baseline salary with ever growing incentives to win more games. E.g. $500,00 / win until you hit 5 wins, 1 MM / win for wins 6-8, 2.5MM / win 9-12, 3MM for playoff wins

I realize this is fantasy, but the jimbo contract should birth this sort of incentive based deal everywhere.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
Leach and Mullen both had success here, but with completely different offensive philosophies. Both were able to recruit and coach up the type of QB's their system needed at multiple schools. This bickering about who is better is irrelevant. What is relevant is if Dan can bring us success on the field. Would I take him back? With a properly configured contract, yes - for 3 reasons.
1 - He has proven that he can take us to the next level with the right personnel.
2 - I'd like to see what he can do with Parson.
3 - Every UM fan I know hates him.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Because of his shopping jobs regularly at the end of seasons, he single handedly lost three EBs because he was checked out. For that, he should never be welcomed here again. He had love strictly for himself, not MSU

Because of his shopping jobs regularly at the end of seasons, he single handedly lost three EBs because he was checked out. For that, he should never be welcomed here again. He had love strictly for himself, not MSU.
Again I am not advocating for Dan but unless we hire a coach like Leach who is older and planning on retiring in six to eight years any coach who has success at our school is going to do the same thing. You have to accept it.

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
Again I am not advocating for Dan but unless we hire a coach like Leach who is older and planning on retiring in six to eight years any coach who has success at our school is going to do the same thing. You have to accept it.
I'm not so concerned with a coach looking at his options at the end of the season, I just want ine who's going to focus on finishing the season with the EB first...

BulldawgFan

Oct 7, 2013
Agreed. For some reason our fanbase is expecting a unicorn - a young, up and coming coach that is also somehow already a proven winner at a P5 school. That coach also has to be ambitious but is somehow expected to stay for their lifetime, regardless of their success.

As it stands we are a stepping stone school and we should lean into it. People are butthurt about Mullen but he left us in better shape than he found us and gave our program a pulse. Because of his success and ambition he moved on to a school that provided a better chance at winning a title. But a good portion of our fanbase has a problem with that.

If we hire a coach that plans to stay the remainder of their career then they either lack ambition or just aren't very good - either way ends in failure for us. Then our fanbase will be butthurt that said coach ended up being a bad hire.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I'm not sure why anyone thinks Mullen would want to return here and take on a rebuilding job. He coached at some level for 25 years, made probably $40-50M the last 15. Florida still pays him $1M each year to not coach. He's got a job keeping him connected to the sport with ESPN. His kids are at an age where they are probably going to be heavily involved in sports themselves.

He doesn't have to coach another day in his life. I really can't imagine him taking the job no matter what we offered.

Reactions: Dawg84

jb1020

Jun 7, 2009
The greatest run in MSU history happened under Mullen. You really can't dispute that.

He sucked at recruiting, I dont think its as big a factor as it used to be. In fact, I think the way we have NIL and the portal now he could be substantially better at finding those guys he needs instead of chasing stars. He has the track record of finding the guys he needs and developing them. This seems easier now.

He took the job with the greener pastures and it didnt work. His kids are older now and he always says he loved his time here. I just dont think we'll have the same job hopping issues we had a few years ago.

I've tried my best to talk myself out of Mullen, been there done that, etc....but he makes the most sense. Anyone else is a flat our gamble. The fan base is so close to almost gone I dont think we can afford to gamble right now.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

JWSDawgs

Mar 16, 2021
Dan Mullen says in this interview that he still loves Starkville and so does his wife Megan.

There’s no denying their love for Starkville as said in this interview but the question is does he want to get back into coaching

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Agreed. For some reason our fanbase is expecting a unicorn - a young, up and coming coach that is also somehow already a proven winner at a P5 school. That coach also has to be ambitious but is somehow expected to stay for their lifetime, regardless of their success.

As it stands we are a stepping stone school and we should lean into it. People are butthurt about Mullen but he left us in better shape than he found us and gave our program a pulse. Because of his success and ambition he moved on to a school that provided a better chance at winning a title. But a good portion of our fanbase has a problem with that.

If we hire a coach that plans to stay the remainder of their career then they either lack ambition or just aren't very good - either way ends in failure for us. Then our fanbase will be butthurt that said coach ended up being a bad hire.
We have had ONE coach in my lifetime that I think would have stayed here no matter who offered him, Rocky Felker. Unless you can find a Nick Saben that loves MSU as much as Rocky does, what our fanbase wants will never ever happen.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The greatest run in MSU history happened under Mullen. You really can't dispute that.

He sucked at recruiting, I dont think its as big a factor as it used to be. In fact, I think the way we have NIL and the portal now he could be substantially better at finding those guys he needs instead of chasing stars. He has the track record of finding the guys he needs and developing them. This seems easier now.

He took the job with the greener pastures and it didnt work. His kids are older now and he always says he loved his time here. I just dont think we'll have the same job hopping issues we had a few years ago.

I've tried my best to talk myself out of Mullen, been there done that, etc....but he makes the most sense. Anyone else is a flat our gamble. The fan base is so close to almost gone I dont think we can afford to gamble right now.
2nd greatest. Look up Allyn McKeen sometime.

Reactions: Dawg84

Spotdawg

Feb 15, 2007
Who and how did you hear this? If straight from their mouth, they went somewhere else. Did you track them down and ask why not State? Just curious.
I knew them and/or their parents personally. They signed elsewhere and played...one stuck in the NFL.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
I knew them and/or their parents personally. They signed elsewhere and played...one stuck in the NFL.
Care to toss out a name? I don't know why you couldn't. What difference would it make now? Did this also involve preacher and a $180K offering?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login