Daniel Penny........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Don't be a good guy in a place with a soft-on-crime DA or one with commitment to social justice and de-incarceration for some groups (Marines aren't one of those groups). Society is better off with the Marine rather than the lunatic subway rider with 40 priors including some for violence. Those lunatics make life miserable for a lot of people and much less enjoyable. But restorative justice or something or other so we need to teach that Marine a lesson. Best to be rich enough to not have to live around crazy violent people who threaten others or be on a subway with them. But, most Americans don't have that option. It's a new world in America now. You might think you're a good guy but a DA might see you as a little Himmler. That said, someone died so I'm not surprised. That Marine didn't need to choke him that long. Again, be smarter now. The old rules no longer apply.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Don't be a good guy in a place with a soft-on-crime DA or one with commitment to social justice and de-incarceration for some groups (Marines aren't one of those groups). Society is better off with the Marine rather than the lunatic subway rider with 40 priors including some for violence. Those lunatics make life miserable for a lot of people and much less enjoyable. But restorative justice or something or other so we need to teach that Marine a lesson. Best to be rich enough to not have to live around crazy violent people who threaten others or be on a subway with them. But, most Americans don't have that option. It's a new world in America now. You might think you're a good guy but a DA might see you as a little Himmler. That said, someone died so I'm not surprised. That Marine didn't need to choke him that long. Again, be smarter now. The old rules no longer apply.
You’re absolutely right. And it’s so 17’ed up beyond all recognition.

DawginEthel

Jan 2, 2023
Not sure what you've been reading but this says differently, from Fox News article today:

"As Marine veteran Daniel Penny watched an erratic homeless man allegedly threaten to murder terrified passengers on a New York City subway — including women and children — he said he felt a moral obligation to act."

"It was self-defense, and I believe in my heart that he saved a lot of people that day," said the retiree, who described herself as a woman of color."

"She recalled Neely ranting, "I don’t care if I have to kill an F, I will. I’ll go to jail, I’ll take a bullet."
Allegedly

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't understand the complaints about Penny being charged. This is a situation that seems tailor-made for a jury. Dude kills a guy in public, with who knows how many witnesses and video filmed during of part of the event. Maybe the killing was necessary, maybe it wasn't. But none of us were there. If you think you know for sure what happened, I would politely tell you that you're full of ****.

If the jury hears/sees all the evidence and acquits Penny, great, justice has been done. If the jury hears/sees all the evidence and convicts Penny, great, justice has been done.

I do want to add - and I'm trying not to respond to any specific posts - but some of the comments here seem to hang on the argument that if someone has been arrested in the past, it's OK for a member of the public to kill them for some other offense. And that's a level of inhumanity that I have a hard time wrapping my head around.
Inhumanity. LOL. Brain damage.

good times make weak men, etc. y’all know the meme

just 17ing sad that this is where we are, 17ing pansy *** mfers in this country these days

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Meanwhile, in California:

No, it's actually and truly disheartening that we live in society where the well-meaning people get either beaten or sent to jail, then crucified in the media, and the unsafe violent criminals who plague the street with violence, are sympathized with and celebrated.

Look at the lengths you have gone to in this thread to take up for a known criminal. It's sickening. You've already broke out your shame tactics. It's like brain damage.

Who would you rather come across in an alley at night? Jordan Neely or Daniel Penny?

This. A law abiding, hard working Marine Vet VS a homeless thug arrested over 40 times many which were violent assaults on random passengers. Eventually something bad was gonna happen with this thug. Penny coulda beat the schit outta him but chose to try and subdue until the next stop and turn him over to the cops. Sad it turned out the way it did but schit happens. Those wanting Penny in prison once again prove Wokeness and Leftism are mental disorders causing no ability to understand logic and substance. Emotional Symbolism is all the inflicted know.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
I haven’t read the entire thread, but the system failed Jordan Neely.

He didn’t deserve to die, but he should have been in protective care mentally and not around ordinary citizens just trying to live and make their way through their day. 40 prior arrests. How did he continue to get a pass?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
This was also reported today

Sheriff's Deputy attacked in LA

California man who pummeled, shot at female deputy found not guilty despite video of attack

Yep. The OP and this one both have the same foundation: George Soros DA's.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
To FQ and any other clown in here. If I am in a situation where Your son if you have one is threatening to do harm to others, and I have the ability and the where with all to beat the ever living **** out of him and he died in the process. Too freaking bad. You should have raised him to be a Better human being. His death would be on you for raising a worthless piece of ****.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
That's fine, but gonna land you in the slammer for a long prison term in some places. You'd be fine in Rankin County, but get prosecuted in the City of Jxn.

You'd be better off to actually let him take a swing, or wait until he physical assaults someone, then intercede at that point.

They few pics I've seen of the deceased, the doesn't appear physically imposing whereas Daniel Penny is physically imposing.
👎
Penny quite possibly saved lives that day and put an end to a dangerous situation.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
It's probably best to wait and see what facts do or don't come out before coming down hard on either side. It was just a few weeks ago where the governor of Texas put his foot in his mouth after a murder conviction, and shortly thereafter it came out that that the perp had a long history of talking about wanting to kill BLM protestors, and that not only did all of the eyewitnesses say that the victim had done nothing to threaten the perp, the perp himself was on tape admitting that too. Unsurprisingly, Abbott hasn't said any more about the case and likely won't ever again.

I would say I slightly lean toward "not guilty" on Penny given what we know now, but I still don't think we've heard enough from all of the eyewitnesses to really know for sure what went down. And either, it was a pretty big ****-up on his part to actually kill the guy.

Hopefully so. I agree with everything you said in principle BUT you're talking about an NYC, "jury of his peers".

If facts come out showing excessive force then sure convict him. My concern is that, regardless of the facts an NYC jury will convict him anyways.

Moral of this story, don't go to a democrat city and do a republican things. Or better yet, just stay out of the democrat cities.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I don't understand the complaints about Penny being charged. This is a situation that seems tailor-made for a jury. Dude kills a guy in public, with who knows how many witnesses and video filmed during of part of the event. Maybe the killing was necessary, maybe it wasn't. But none of us were there. If you think you know for sure what happened, I would politely tell you that you're full of ****.

If the jury hears/sees all the evidence and acquits Penny, great, justice has been done. If the jury hears/sees all the evidence and convicts Penny, great, justice has been done.

I do want to add - and I'm trying not to respond to any specific posts - but some of the comments here seem to hang on the argument that if someone has been arrested in the past, it's OK for a member of the public to kill them for some other offense. And that's a level of inhumanity that I have a hard time wrapping my head around.
You are thinking wrong.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
This was also reported today

Sheriff's Deputy attacked in LA

California man who pummeled, shot at female deputy found not guilty despite video of attack

I would say this is unbelievable but it’s now kind of the norm.
Sets a terrible precedent and I feel really bad for the police and sheriffs of this country.
Thankless job, dangerous job, the very few bad ones make the news and social media and makes stupid people believe that all Cops are like that.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
👎
Penny quite possibly saved lives that day and put an end to a dangerous situation.
Neely has 42 prior arrests, dating between 2013 and 2021. They include four for alleged assault, while others involved accusations of transit fraud and criminal trespass. Based on statistics, chances are he was not going to kill or assault anyone. He did verbally threaten, yell at and annoy people, but saying he was going to injury some is a stretch, just based on his history.

Like I posted earlier, it's going to come down to witness testimony.

Reactions: Dawgg

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
No one hates Americans as much as Americans do. The fact that we now simply refer to each other as “dems” or “MAGA republicans” like the other side is bunch of American hating nazis makes me very sad. And please don’t justify behavior by what the other side does. I explain to my 6 year old all the time how two wrong don’t make a right. Neither side has the monopoly on good ideas. Neither side is evil. The amount of tribalism in this country is terrifying

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Neely has 42 prior arrests, dating between 2013 and 2021. They include four for alleged assault, while others involved accusations of transit fraud and criminal trespass. Based on statistics, chances are he was not going to kill or assault anyone. He did verbally threaten, yell at and annoy people, but saying he was going to injury some is a stretch, just based on his history.

I’m afraid what will be the problem for Penny is that Neely never physically hurt anyone that day, regardless of what we had done in the past. I watched a video of this last night. You can hear people in the video saying to Penny you’re going to kill him. Other passengers on the train, who were threatened, were asking penny to stop. Tough situation. I have no doubt that Penny didn’t intend to kill the guy. But you can’t go around putting crazy homeless people in a choke hold when they say stupid stuff. They put their hands on you then it’s a different story.

I’ve had homeless people in downtown Jackson tell me they were going to whip my ***. Then the next day I walk by them and they are friendly as can be. It’s not their fault they are crazy as 17. Words are words and it’s going to be tough for Penny to justify killing a guy over words.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Hopefully so. I agree with everything you said in principle BUT you're talking about an NYC, "jury of his peers".

If facts come out showing excessive force then sure convict him. My concern is that, regardless of the facts an NYC jury will convict him anyways.

Moral of this story, don't go to a democrat city and do a republican things. Or better yet, just stay out of the democrat cities.
Sooooo any city above 250,000 people?

Reactions: WrightGuy821

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

Are you willing to bet your life and the life of your family on statistics? Because that is what you would be doing when in that circumstance. I'm not insinuating he was going down this path, but a serial killer has never committed murder until his first time. The fact remains this guy had some serious mental health issues that were not being treated. There is no way of knowing what could trigger him to snap. His family obviously didn't give two ***** about him until he was dead and they thought they could make some money off his corpse.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Are you willing to bet your life and the life of your family on statistics? Because that is what you would be doing when in that circumstance. I'm not insinuating he was going down this path, but a serial killer has never committed murder until his first time. The fact remains this guy had some serious mental health issues that were not being treated. There is no way of knowing what could trigger him to snap. His family obviously didn't give two ***** about him until he was dead and they thought they could make some money off his corpse.
I don't know what world you live in, but you can't choke someone to death based on what he/she "might" do. No mater how crazy he/she acts, the law/rules of society don't give you the right to end their life. There was a movie with Tom Cruise were folks could be punished for what they might do, but that's not the case currently in our society.

I have not doubt that Penny didn't intend to end Neely's life, but he did and a jury will decide his fate.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I don't know what world you live in, but you can't choke someone to death based on what he/she "might" do. No mater how crazy he/she acts, the law/rules of society don't give you the right to end their life. There was a movie with Tom Cruise were folks could be punished for what they might do, but that's not the case currently in our society.

I have not doubt that Penny didn't intend to end Neely's life, but he did and a jury will decide his fate.
Try again. If somebody makes threats of violence against you or another person you can absolutely respond with deadly force. Especially if you are in a place you can't leave like a subway. Break in a house at 3:00am and threaten to kill everybody and see what happens.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Given that Fox News just had to pay $787 million to settle a case for lying to their viewers, I wouldn't put any stock in their reporting.
CNN had to settle the libel case against Nick Sandmann, so everyone can stop using them as a source too, right?

*My point is, in any case the defense at some point might decide it's worth paying just to stop the dogpile from forming. It doesn't necessarily mean they believe they were totally in the wrong. So dismissing everything that's reported by either news organization from that point forward is a little much.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
As long as there's not a George Soros DA there. Fort Worth has the 250K beat btw.
Fort Worth is kind of the exception and that’s largely because Dallas is right there. Anaheim used to see the same thing because of Los Angeles, but has shifted Democratic lately too. You don’t have many ‘metroplexes’ like that in the country.

I want to ask you a few questions about George Soros and I want to do it respectfully, so please take these questions as earnest questions: Do you really feel like George Soros is hand-picking local district attorneys in cities across the U.S.? I have to say that I feel like George Soros has kind of become a straw man that has nowhere near the power or influence that a lot of folks claim. George Soros is 92. Do you think he wakes up in the morning and reads local polling data for Billings, MT? Once he dies, do you believe entire ‘left’ will just crumble without him almost single-handedly propping it up and leading it over the past 5 decades or will another straw man rise to take his place?

Reactions: dorndawg

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Fort Worth is kind of the exception and that’s largely because Dallas is right there. Anaheim used to see the same thing because of Los Angeles, but has shifted Democratic lately too. You don’t have many ‘metroplexes’ like that in the country.

I want to ask you a few questions about George Soros and I want to do it respectfully, so please take these questions as earnest questions: Do you really feel like George Soros is hand-picking local district attorneys in cities across the U.S.? I have to say that I feel like George Soros has kind of become a straw man that has nowhere near the power or influence that a lot of folks claim. George Soros is 92. Do you think he wakes up in the morning and reads local polling data for Billings, MT? Once he dies, do you believe entire ‘left’ will just crumble without him almost single-handedly propping it up and leading it over the past 5 decades or will another straw man rise to take his place?
He is not handpicking as such, but he does financially support those who share his ideologies. He has a network of people that keep up with elections to find those who would support his worldview. The best way to change the culture of a country is to start at the bottom and work your way up.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I don't read/watch MSNBC. I honestly didn't even know they still existed as a media outlet.

It doesn't matter if he had been arrested literally 1,000 other times - those arrests would have no bearing on what happened on the train.

It's disheartening how badly many of you want it to be OK for one person to kill another person for the slightest of reasons.

The issue isn't that anyone interceded physically. If Penny and whoever else had just held the guy down until police arrived, we'd never have heard about it. But Penny reportedly had the guy in a chokehold for almost 15 minutes. To me, that seems like it would be excessive. But I'm fine with letting a jury decide whether it was or not.
You're completely leaving out the part where Jordan Neely was on drugs. Similarly to other recent situations, a trained soldier (or officer of the law in other cases) felt it necessary to subdue a criminal in a fairly widely-used submission hold. Unfortunately, the threat who was being subdued was a habitual drug abuser (check criminal records and eyewitness reports), which led to a weakened cardiovascular and/or pulminary system, which in turn led to his unfortunate death. It's a terrible situation all the way around. I wish he hadn't abused drugs. I wish he hadn't threatened other citizens. I wish he hadn't died as a result of those very poor choices.

But I certainly don't blame the guy who felt it necessary to protect the others trapped on the subway with him. He didn't know the guy's drug abuse history, without which he would have survived the chokehold. There's video of Penny and others trying to help revive Neely after he passed out. He didn't want the guy to die either.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I wouldn't want to be on trial if someone made verbal death threats but didn't touch anyone and didn't brandish a weapon, and then I made first contact and injured, maimed or killed someone.

The moment you combine unsolicited physical contact post-verbal death threats... whatever happens to you after that is your own damn fault, IMO. Terrible situation for sure but from what I'm hearing looks like I would have to give Penny the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: ronpolk

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Try again. If somebody makes threats of violence against you or another person you can absolutely respond with deadly force. Especially if you are in a place you can't leave like a subway. Break in a house at 3:00am and threaten to kill everybody and see what happens.
Go to downtown Jxn today, walk from the Smith Park to the Iron Horse, there's a decent chance a crazy, drug abusing bum will yell at you and threaten your life. You kill that individual, you're in jail for a long time. You can't use deadly force in response to words coming from an unarmed person. You have to understand that.

Reactions: ronpolk

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
They're two completely different things. Someone can look at Fox News' track record - as well as the court case a few years ago where they argued that "no reasonable person" takes them seriously - and come to the obvious conclusion that they are not trustworthy.

No one can reasonably argue that Penny knew about Neely's other arrests and that Penny's actions on the train were a result of that knowledge.

Again, Penny's actions may have been justified in the moment - the key word is may. But it's also possible they were not justified - some eyewitness reports say he had Neely in a chokehold for upwards of 15 minutes. Him going to trial is not the travesty that some of you are making it out to be.
Explain the Russian collusion BS and the Hunter laptop BS....
On reason the leftist media lies is they know full well there are people disguised/dumb enough to buy their lies.

Bet you believed the media's take on those two incidents....you probably still believe their lies....which would be very sad and very telling.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
You sure about that? Not the part about breaking in a house because that’s completely different, someone has entered private property. Just in general, someone screams something threatening at you and then you can use deadly force?

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
Give me a break. No one has made that argument. People have pointed out the fact that this guy was arrested 40-something times because it clearly illustrates that he wasn't capable of functioning in civilized society and it gives credibility to the idea that he was acting in a manner that justified Penny's actions.

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
I'm too lazy to look it up, but is that really the law? Duty to retreat? Hell, it could be a law in my town/state and I wouldn't know, but that seems counterintuitive.
Yes, in New York (outside the castle doctrine), citizens have a duty to retreat by law, which is why this case is particularly cumbersome, there was no where to retreat. Also, I'm curious why there was toxicology request on the decedent before and after death.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
America is full of people who should be institutionalized, those with genuine mental disorders and violent criminals, who make life less enjoyable for law-abiding citizens. It's actually really difficult to send someone to prison in this country even though we have a large number of people in prison. But, we don't have enough in prison. Get criminals off the streets and you'd have a lot less crime and fewer murders. That's pretty obvious but ideologues don't think that way and often bring up irrelevant things such as root causes or ethnic disparities.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Go to downtown Jxn today, walk from the Smith Park to the Iron Horse, there's a decent chance a crazy, drug abusing bum will yell at you and threaten your life. You kill that individual, you're in jail for a long time. You can't use deadly force in response to words coming from an unarmed person. You have to understand that.
Maybe this is only the difference between being guilty of murder or guilty of manslaughter, but I don't consider what Penny did as using 'deadly force'. He wasn't trying to kill Neely. He put him in a submission hold, and the guy unfortunately died when most others wouldn't have because of his longtime drug abuse.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
You sure about that? Not the part about breaking in a house because that’s completely different, someone has entered private property. Just in general, someone screams something threatening at you and then you can use deadly force?
I'm sure it varies by state, but most jurisdictions require a threat of IMMINENT harm to justify force against another. It's going to be very hard for Penny to prove imminent threat, but lucky for him he doesn't have to, the state has to prove a lack of it.

I'll also point out that there seems to be a high correlation of righties who have a very high bar of threat to the mother that justifies an abortion, and a very low bar of threat to a white man that justifies killing.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Maybe this is only the difference between being guilty of murder or guilty of manslaughter, but I don't consider what Penny did as using 'deadly force'. He wasn't trying to kill Neely. He put him in a submission hold, and the guy unfortunately died when most others wouldn't have because of his longtime drug abuse.
Haha damn what do you consider deadly force then? I mean someone died as a result of force that someone else did… kinda seems like the text book definition. But that does not mean it was not justified. Just no way to know based on the videos I’ve seen.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If you get in an old fashion, mutually agreed upon, fist fight with an ole baw at the Winona Sonics at Midnight on Friday and with the first punch thrown you hit him just right with left hook and he goes down and immediately and dies, you're likely getting charged with manslaughter. No mater that you didn't intend to kill him. Now if he hit you first and you retaliated, then you may not get charged.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I'm not a defense lawyer, but if you are in an area with no avenue of escape and somebody is threatening greatly bodily harm...especially towards women and children then I think you are allowed to use self defense to end the possible threat. Now, you may not have legal grounds to shoot him if he hadn't displayed a weapon unless he makes a violent move towards somebody as a small caliber handgun like a .25 derringer or knife can be easily hidden in your hand. But you could draw your weapon and order him to quit acting a dumbass and if he continues on you could probably fire. But Penny didn't have a weapon. He just recognized the threat of violence towards women was there from somebody obviously not right in the head and went to subdue him to end the threat. To me it is a clear case of self defense.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
If I draw a concealed weapon and shoot him then I agree. But then I have a weapon drawn on him and the advantage. Now if I draw a weapon and tell him to leave me alone and he still approaches me violently then that changes. Especially if I have my wife and two children with me that would not be physically capable of defending themselves unarmed. That is one thing the law looks at in self defense cases. I'm 6'5' and bigger than a lot of offensive linemen. If it were a 5'1" 105lbs woman doing the threatening towards me then I would have a hard time justifying fearing for my life. If those roles were reversed and I was the one threatening the petite lady she would get the benefit of the doubt for shooting me as she could claim if she let me get within arm's length I could end things before she had a chance to defend herself. In this case he was threatening women so the bar of self defense is lower. Penny stepped in without a weapon to defend the vulnerable passengers on that train.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
If you get in an old fashion, mutually agreed upon, fist fight with an ole baw at the Winona Sonics at Midnight on Friday and with the first punch thrown you hit him just right with left hook and he goes down and immediately and dies, you're likely getting charged with manslaughter. No mater that you didn't intend to kill him. Now if he hit you first and you retaliated, then you may not get charged.

Trevor stole my Chili Cheese Coney. Honor dictated I swing first. He had it coming!**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login