Daniel Penny........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I'll also point out that there seems to be a high correlation of righties who have a very high bar of threat to the mother that justifies an abortion, and a very low bar of threat to a white man that justifies killing.
Heaven forbid somebody have something against killing innocent babies solely for a matter of convenience. And this guy was threatening more than a white man. But go ahead and make this about race. Quite typical of a far lefty.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I'm not a defense lawyer, but if you are in an area with no avenue of escape and somebody is threatening greatly bodily harm...especially towards women and children then I think you are allowed to use self defense to end the possible threat. Now, you may not have legal grounds to shoot him if he hadn't displayed a weapon unless he makes a violent move towards somebody as a small caliber handgun like a .25 derringer or knife can be easily hidden in your hand. But you could draw your weapon and order him to quit acting a dumbass and if he continues on you could probably fire. But Penny didn't have a weapon. He just recognized the threat of violence towards women was there from somebody obviously not right in the head and went to subdue him to end the threat. To me it is a clear case of self defense.
"The defendant cannot use any degree of force in self-defense unless the defendant is faced with an imminent attack (State v. Taylor, 2010). Imminent means the attack is immediate and not something that will occur in the future. If the defendant is threatened with a future attack, the appropriate response is to inform law enforcement, so that they can incapacitate the threatening individual by arrest or prosecution. Another situation where imminence is lacking is when the attack occurred in the past. When the defendant uses force to remedy a previous attack, this is retaliatory, and a self-defense claim is not appropriate. The legal response is to inform law enforcement so that they can incapacitate the attacker by arrest or prosecution."

I would imagine the prosecution will point out that Neely had been ranting for a while. Where's the imminent threat?

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
"The defendant cannot use any degree of force in self-defense unless the defendant is faced with an imminent attack (State v. Taylor, 2010). Imminent means the attack is immediate and not something that will occur in the future. If the defendant is threatened with a future attack, the appropriate response is to inform law enforcement, so that they can incapacitate the threatening individual by arrest or prosecution. Another situation where imminence is lacking is when the attack occurred in the past. When the defendant uses force to remedy a previous attack, this is retaliatory, and a self-defense claim is not appropriate. The legal response is to inform law enforcement so that they can incapacitate the attacker by arrest or prosecution."

I would imagine the prosecution will point out that Neely had been ranting for a while. Where's the imminent threat?
So the next item of interest for any jury would be: did the subject physically accost anyone prior or subsequent to making the verbal threats. Prior or subsequent to the first physical contact the defendant made to the subject. That's basically what the case hinges on.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Neely has 42 prior arrests, dating between 2013 and 2021. They include four for alleged assault, while others involved accusations of transit fraud and criminal trespass. Based on statistics, chances are he was not going to kill or assault anyone. He did verbally threaten, yell at and annoy people, but saying he was going to injury some is a stretch, just based on his history.

Like I posted earlier, it's going to come down to witness testimony.
like, what statistics are we going by... if i had to guess most killers had probably never killed before their first murder... there always has to be a first, you can t just jump ahead to the fifth... i would say statistically the guy with 4 assault arrests that is threatening to kill everyone on a subway car would be the one most likely to kill someone.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
like, what statistics are we going by... if i had to guess most killers had probably never killed before their first murder... there always has to be a first, you can t just jump ahead to the fifth... i would say statistically the guy with 4 assault arrests that is threatening to kill everyone on a subway car would be the one most likely to kill someone.
The wild card is drugs. When a guy gets high on the wrong drug/mixture of drugs what he's done in the past doesn't matter. If you suspect a guy (or gal) of being heavily drugged and you can't get away you better take measures to protect yourself because anything can happen regardless of what they've done in the past.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
So the next item of interest for any jury would be: did the subject physically accost anyone prior or subsequent to making the verbal threats. Prior or subsequent to the first physical contact the defendant made to the subject. That's basically what the case hinges on.
Apparently the time between the start of the chokehold and the next stop was 1 minute. So the prosecution will lean heavily on "you couldn't wait 1 minute?". Then the chokehold was held for another 14 minutes, well after any "threatened" passengers were off the train. Where's the imminent threat to continue the chokehold? I think that will clearly come to they were waiting on the police. So they choked him to ensure an arrest. That's not imminent threat.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Apparently the time between the start of the chokehold and the next stop was 1 minute. So the prosecution will lean heavily on "you couldn't wait 1 minute?". Then the chokehold was held for another 14 minutes, well after any "threatened" passengers were off the train. Where's the imminent threat to continue the chokehold? I think that will clearly come to they were waiting on the police. So they choked him to ensure an arrest. That's not imminent threat.

If he witnessed the subject touching anyone before or after making the verbal threats then you have an argument for imminent danger. Even if the subject had pushed someone or hit them, and then backed off, if he's still verbalizing threats after he has already accosted one or more of the witnesses physically, it's going to be a lot harder to get a conviction.

If none of the witnesses can claim that the subject had any physical contact at all, and he was only verbally abusive, then it will be easier to get a conviction. The defense is going to ask the witnesses what level of fear they had of the subject regardless, but I think the conviction will hinge on physical contact prior to the choke hold.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
if this is indeed the case, his goose is cooked.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I think he'll up with some kind of plea deal, a few years in a mental facility (to learn who to deal with PTSD).

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I'm sure it varies by state, but most jurisdictions require a threat of IMMINENT harm to justify force against another. It's going to be very hard for Penny to prove imminent threat, but lucky for him he doesn't have to, the state has to prove a lack of it.

I'll also point out that there seems to be a high correlation of righties who have a very high bar of threat to the mother that justifies an abortion, and a very low bar of threat to a white man that justifies killing.
We agree on your first sentence, but two quick points:

1. Yes, of course I would consider the individual circumstance of each mother and child before deciding whether an abortion is warranted. Is she in a life-threatening health emergency? Or is it simply an inconvenience that she got pregnant and she wants to kill the baby to continue her lifestyle? I think of those as two very different situations.

2. I also consider an innocent child in the womb to be much different than a drug addled psycho threatening people on a subway train. One had a hand in his own situation and choices along the way, one didn't.

Sorry for all the 'righties' crazy talk.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I had to go look up who this was so I could decide if I was outraged. My take:

1) It seems he may have inadvertently killed someone who may, or may not, have posed a direct threat to him.

2) I have no idea what second degree manslaughter charges mean in NY, nor am I taking the time to look, but I suspect the evidence either will, or will not support the charge(s)

3) Guy was in a tough spot. It is a fine line between dude is having a mental break, threatening harm and is really gonna do harm vs dude is having a mental break, threatening harm and is really harmless. I don't know how you decide.

4) This kind of thing makes it more likely that the next guy who is thinking about stepping in and "helping" might just sit there until harm is done, and possibly severe harm.

5) Given all this and limited knowledge of facts beyond some biased headlines, I have no idea what constitutes "right" or legal in this case.

6) The whole thing sux start to finish; no matter how it turns out for this dude
1) It seems he may have inadvertently killed someone who may, or may not, have posed a direct threat to him.
What is if was a threat to other people? Do i not have the right (i'd argue i have the obligation) to intervene to protect someone from a threat

3) Guy was in a tough spot. It is a fine line between dude is having a mental break, threatening harm and is really gonna do harm vs dude is having a mental break, threatening harm and is really harmless. I don't know how you decide.
Mental or not has nothing to do with it if you are a threat. If you are a threat or not? i'd rather err on the side of the innocent people minding their own business and not on the "potential threats" side.

4) This kind of thing makes it more likely that the next guy who is thinking about stepping in and "helping" might just sit there until harm is done, and possibly severe harm.
Correct. this is why number 3 above is important.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Haha damn what do you consider deadly force then? I mean someone died as a result of force that someone else did… kinda seems like the text book definition. But that does not mean it was not justified. Just no way to know based on the videos I’ve seen.
To me, deadly force would infer intentionality. I think he didn't intend to kill the guy, just subdue him until the next stop. If Neely wasn't a habitual drug abuser with a weakened system, he would not have died. That's my understanding.

If you push a guy on the street, and he is so drunk that he falls off the curb, hits his head and dies, did you use "deadly force", or is that an accident? I honestly don't know the legal definition.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I read varying accounts of what happened. FNC will report that was self defense, other outlets report that the perp was annoying folks and yelling at them, but not physically threatening them. The truth is likely in the middle. One thing for certain, don't put someone in any type of hold that hampers thier breathing for so long they die. This will come down to the witness' testimony, I wouldn't be surprised if he is convicted of something.
He could have easily put him in a hold that didn't cause him to stop breathing.

Its almost undeniable that George Floyd died of a heart attack due to fentanyl and not b/c Derek Chauvin is a murdering POS (I thin he is a POS fyi).

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
So Fox News says one thing and the police and DA who investigated the case say another. Given that Fox News just had to pay $787 million to settle a case for lying to their viewers, I wouldn't put any stock in their reporting.

Again, he may very well get off, but this going to trial is not a bad thing.
Yeah the NYC DA is certainly a reliable source on such matters.

I know you can't get past "its Fox News" but here are direct quotes from witnesses.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
If you push a guy on the street, and he is so drunk that he falls off the curb, hits his head and dies, did you use "deadly force", or is that an accident? I honestly don't know the legal dedefinition.
It's criminal use of force, not an accident unless you accidently pushed him. If you intended to push, you are criminally liable for the result. Probably not murder, probably manslaughter. Varies by state.

Same as if you choose to drive drunk but didn't intend to get into a wreck and kill someone else. The choice to illegally drive drunk makes you criminally responsible for the foreseeable possible results.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
It's criminal use of force, not an accident unless you accidently pushed him. If you intended to push, you are criminally liable for the result. Probably not murder, probably manslaughter. Varies by state.

Same as if you choose to drive drunk but didn't intend to get into a wreck and kill someone else. The choice to illegally drive drunk makes you criminally responsible for the foreseeable possible results.
I appreciate the info on terminology. That helps.

I'm not sure the drunk driving/wreck is exactly analogous to the case at hand - Daniel Penny wasn't drunk, the other guy was drunk. But I know what you're saying, unintentional death and liability-wise.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
To me, deadly force would infer intentionality. I think he didn't intend to kill the guy, just subdue him until the next stop. If Neely wasn't a habitual drug abuser with a weakened system, he would not have died. That's my understanding.

If you push a guy on the street, and he is so drunk that he falls off the curb, hits his head and dies, did you use "deadly force", or is that an accident? I honestly don't know the legal definition.
The definition of deadly force is… the use of force that is likely to cause serious bodily injury or death to another person.

Honestly I don’t know how much more clear that can be. No one in the world, except you I guess, is debating that Penny used deadly force.

PRAVan1996

Mar 7, 2023
Give me a break. No one has made that argument. People have pointed out the fact that this guy was arrested 40-something times because it clearly illustrates that he wasn't capable of functioning in civilized society and it gives credibility to the idea that he was acting in a manner that justified Penny's actions.
You literally make the argument in your post... You specifically say that Neely's 40+ arrests "gives credibility to the idea that he was acting in a manner that justified Penny's actions." Penny's actions resulted in the death of Neely. You are very literally saying the 40+ arrests justified Penny's killing of Neely.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I appreciate the info on terminology. That helps.

I'm not sure the drunk driving/wreck is exactly analogous to the case at hand - Daniel Penny wasn't drunk, the other guy was drunk. But I know what you're saying, unintentional death and liability-wise.
No hes saying that if a man is drunk and i try and stop him from driving i should be held liable for whatever happens to the drunk man.

I know thats not exactly "what he said" but it kind of is.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Was the guy who choked him aware the guy had been arrested 40 times? Otherwise these arguments mean nothing.

ETA: I’m not saying he is guilty of anything. I am not taking sides. I am just saying everyone keeps throwing around the arrested 40 times thing to justify what happened. Unless that guy had personal knowledge of that fact, you cannot use it to justify his actions

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The definition of deadly force is… the use of force that is likely to cause serious bodily injury or death to another person.

Honestly I don’t know how much more clear that can be. No one in the world, except you I guess, is debating that Penny used deadly force.
Here's how you can be more clear: include this important part of the equation you keep leaving out of your responses.

My original point in questioning the "force" Penny used was that NEELY WAS ON SPICE. The hold would not have killed 99% of the population that day if not for the shape his body was in. Not as in out of shape - he was apparently fully strong and able-bodied as it took three guys to hold him after he threatened the car-load of passengers. His weakened physical condition was caused by 20 years of drug abuse.

That means, the hold in question was not "likely" to cause serious bodily injury to anyone but this guy. That's why I questioned it.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Here's how you can be more clear: include this important part of the equation you keep leaving out of your responses.

My original point in questioning the "force" Penny used was that NEELY WAS ON SPICE. The hold would not have killed 99% of the population that day if not for the shape his body was in. Not as in out of shape - he was apparently fully strong and able-bodied as it took three guys to hold him after he threatened the car-load of passengers. His weakened physical condition was caused by 20 years of drug abuse.

That means, the hold in question was not "likely" to cause serious bodily injury to anyone but this guy. That's why I questioned it.
Physiologically, what did the spice do to his body to make the chokehold that was placed on him more likely to kill him than 99% of the population? You can’t just say “drugs”, because that runs the gamut from marijuana to cocaine. Did it increase his sympathetic response? His parasympathetic response? Did it slow down his bodies ability to recognize when his oxygen level was low? I am not saying you are wrong. Just please offer an argument other than “drugs”

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

The act caused bodily harm… that meets the definition. There are no circumstances that change that fact. Neely is dead because of the force Penny used. That’s not even up for debate. He will go to trial to determine if the deadly force he used was justified. You do realize you’re the only one trying to make this argument?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Was the guy who choked him aware the guy had been arrested 40 times? Otherwise these arguments mean nothing.

ETA: I’m not saying he is guilty of anything. I am not taking sides. I am just saying everyone keeps throwing around the arrested 40 times thing to justify what happened. Unless that guy had personal knowledge of that fact, you cannot use it to justify his actions
Actually your point helps the choker. Not the chokee.

he felt the man was a threat. Turns out by the chokee being arrest 40 17ing times the choker’s instincts were probably right.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Physiologically, what did the spice do to his body to make the chokehold that was placed on him more likely to kill him than 99% of the population? You can’t just say “drugs”, because that runs the gamut from marijuana to cocaine. Did it increase his sympathetic response? His parasympathetic response? Did it slow down his bodies ability to recognize when his oxygen level was low? I am not saying you are wrong. Just please offer an argument other than “drugs”
It likely made him keep resisting where 99% of other people wouldn’t have.

You know drugs make people crazy and do stupid things.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Actually your point helps the choker. Not the chokee.

he felt the man was a threat. Turns out by the chokee being arrest 40 17ing times the choker’s instincts were probably right.
Some may not believe this but doing drugs and being arrested are not grounds for summary execution.

Reactions: FQDawg

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
No one hates Americans as much as Americans do. The fact that we now simply refer to each other as “dems” or “MAGA republicans” like the other side is bunch of American hating nazis makes me very sad. And please don’t justify behavior by what the other side does. I explain to my 6 year old all the time how two wrong don’t make a right. Neither side has the monopoly on good ideas. Neither side is evil. The amount of tribalism in this country is terrifying
Well, one side supports killing children. And if the children are blessed to be born, they want to expose them to freakish sexual content and convince them they are the wrong gender. And that same group wants illegal immigrants to flood cities, cause chaos, and vote blue. They want our tax dollars to go to those immigrants by the millions and to Ukraine by the billions.

They want to call people like me domestic terrorists, because I dare to have concern about our overreaching gov’t and want to be informed about what our children are being exposed to in schools.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Well, one side supports killing children. And if the children are blessed to be born, they want to expose them to freakish sexual content and convince them they are the wrong gender. And that same group wants illegal immigrants to flood cities, cause chaos, and vote blue. They want our tax dollars to go to those immigrants by the millions and to Ukraine by the billions.

They want to call people like me domestic terrorists, because I dare to have concern about our overreaching gov’t and want to be informed about what our children are being exposed to in schools.
No, we just want to call you stupid, because we don't believe any of those things and make that clear over and over, yet that doesn't deter your belief that we do in the slightest.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
No, we just want to call you stupid, because we don't believe any of those things and make that clear over and over, yet that doesn't deter your belief that we do in the slightest.
So you didn’t vote for grandpa Joe?

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008

You ought to get to know some liberals in real life instead of just believing some nonsense strawmen that the TV or internet told you. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
You ought to get to know some liberals in real life instead of just believing some nonsense strawmen that the TV or internet told you. You may be pleasantly surprised.
I have plenty of liberal friends. They are moderates, though.

The Dem party is clearly in the extreme progressive Socialist anti-American camp. I would love to see a RFK Jr presidency instead of Commie Joe

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I have plenty of liberal friends. They are moderates, though.

The Dem party is clearly in the extreme progressive Socialist anti-American camp. I would love to see a RFK Jr presidency instead of Commie Joe
I would say thanks for making my point, but unfortunately what you have written just makes me incredibly sad.

Reactions: mstateglfr

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Well maybe you should get your party leaders to stop openly supporting them.

Reactions: Curby

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Well maybe you should stop voting for people who publicly stand up for what he said?

or put another way start voting for people who publicly stand against it

Reactions: Curby

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Well maybe you should get your party leaders to stop openly supporting them.
I Cant Season 5 GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Reactions: mstateglfr

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Fort Worth is kind of the exception and that’s largely because Dallas is right there. Anaheim used to see the same thing because of Los Angeles, but has shifted Democratic lately too. You don’t have many ‘metroplexes’ like that in the country.

I want to ask you a few questions about George Soros and I want to do it respectfully, so please take these questions as earnest questions: Do you really feel like George Soros is hand-picking local district attorneys in cities across the U.S.? I have to say that I feel like George Soros has kind of become a straw man that has nowhere near the power or influence that a lot of folks claim. George Soros is 92. Do you think he wakes up in the morning and reads local polling data for Billings, MT? Once he dies, do you believe entire ‘left’ will just crumble without him almost single-handedly propping it up and leading it over the past 5 decades or will another straw man rise to take his place?
Geoge Soros' Son is just as evil and they boh have tons of evil people working for them. Are you aware that Oktibehah's DA's campaign was funded by Soros? Does that give you a clue or ring any bells as to howdeep his evil has permeated the judical landscape of our country? He once crippled singlehandidly the British Pound with his wealth control and has entities he funds that have facilitated 3rd world migration into industrialized countries.

TH: someone who doles out countless sums to undermine and reshape in his dystopian image entire countries, spreading across at least five separate continents. Soros directly spent $128.5 million during last fall's U.S. midterm elections, making him that election cycle's single largest individual donor. He has spent $40 million trying to elect radically left-wing "reform prosecutors" -- something he has been fully transparent about, defending it under his own byline in a Wall Street Journal op-ed last summer -- across the country. He has been dishearteningly successful in that endeavor, successfully electing 75 district attorneys -- such as Alvin Bragg in New York City, Chesa Boudin in San Francisco (since mercifully recalled) and Kim Foxx in Chicago -- who oversee a decivilizational (and oxymoronic) prosecutorial agenda of not prosecuting violent and property crimes. Simply put, Soros is more responsible than any man in the world for the descent of some of America's most iconic cities into anarchic urban hellholes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login