Deion Sanders as our next coach

Oct 17, 2022
I was kind of surprised to see Robbie Faulk promoting Deion as our next coach. seems kind of crazy to me.
three years in the swac and then sec head coach ?

• Haha
Reactions: woozman

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
And he's going to continue to get unbelievable talent. That's the allure of Deion. I'm not sure he can coach a lick, but he will darn sure recruit.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Did any of y'all catch his 60 Minutes interview this past Sunday? After watching the interview I'd take him in a heartbeat. He's done a helluva job at JSU. He recruits well and motivates his players to give their best. The only problem with Coach Prime is that of he does well at State then others will come calling and we'll have to put up with all that "He's gonna leave" crap in recruiting.

Here's the interview: Deion Sanders: The 60 Minutes Interview - YouTube

Last edited:
Reactions: cytubb

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Did any of y'all catch his 60 Minutes interview this past Sunday? After watching the interview I'd take him in a heartbeat. He's done a helluva job at JSU. He recruits well and motivates his players to give their best. The only problem with Coach Prime is that of he does well at State then others will come calling and we'll have to put up with all that "He's gonna leave" crap in recruiting.
We will have to deal with that with any coach that comes in here and has success. Only time that doesn't happen is when we have coaches like Croom and JoMo.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
He's exactly the gamble a program like MSU should take. We have some money and facilities, but that's it. We need the intangibles that we've never had. National marketing and confidence. Prime is that. It would be real chance to actually elevate our profile to the point it could result in elite recruiting. Tired of 7-8 win seasons? Elevate your recruiting.

If he fails, what harm is caused? Get in line with the others that have failed and go back to traditional hiring.

Oct 17, 2022
No AD or professional search firm is going to consider a coach with three years experience total at the college swac level.
name recognition is not worth what it used to be in the era of NIL. $$ trumps what some guy did in the nfl 20 years ago.

this sounds like an idea internet message board strategists haven’t thought out very well.

Reactions: DerHntr and patdog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
No AD or professional search firm is going to consider a coach with three years experience total at the college swac level.
name recognition is not worth what it used to be in the era of NIL. $$ trumps what some guy did in the nfl 20 years ago.

this sounds like an idea internet message board strategists haven’t thought out very well.
If you already have the money for NIL and to hire good coordinators and assistants, Deion can probably be a good hire. He's basically some version of Orgeron. Don't think you can tell if it's the rich man's version or the poor man's version based on results at JSU. But State has to have a head coach that can coach. I just don't think we'll ever spend the money on a staff to allow us to have a CEO/Manager type coach.

Reactions: Croomonshrooms

llmsudawg

Mar 3, 2008
There's a reason the SWAC doesn't participate in the FCS playoffs. It's not good football. They have some NFL caliber athletes who stand out and can play anywhere, but overall the level of play does not match up.

Has Sanders improved Jackson State? Absolutely. Is he a good coach? It appears so. Would he jump at the chance to coach in the SEC? No doubt. Will he get a chance with a Power 5 school? Not likely.

D-1 level coaching requires the full attention of the staff. Prime can get away with the split attention to other interests in the SWAC, but it will not translate to a Power 5 job.

I don't think a P-5 school is willing to gamble enough to hire him, even with the high profile and astronomical PR boost it would bring.

Oct 17, 2022
It's more concerning that State fans take anything Faulk says seriously as most of his takes are genes page none sense.
I have come to the same conclusion. This is a junior high take, but he still seems slightly sharper than Hadad. That guy is good at reading ads but my wife has better football takes.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
If you already have the money for NIL and to hire good coordinators and assistants, Deion can probably be a good hire. He's basically some version of Orgeron. Don't think you can tell if it's the rich man's version or the poor man's version based on results at JSU. But State has to have a head coach that can coach. I just don't think we'll ever spend the money on a staff to allow us to have a CEO/Manager type coach.

That's how I think of it. Absolutely a gamble, but we aren't in the position of play it safe/smart and expect to elevate the program from where we are right now. I'm not sure a safe/smart/good on paper hire exists that is both hirable by MSU and with recruiting upside that could elevating us from the status we currently reside it (6-8 wins/yr with no chance at championships, even when the stars align) to something clearly better than that.

ETA: if our true ceiling is about where we're at today, obviously this would not apply. This is only from my opinion that there are no hirable candidates out there that can elevate our program who also "make sense". We basically have to do something borderline insane to end up with elite talent and championship competitiveness. That or get very organized in cheating/NIL fund raising. I'd be open to that as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: STATEgrad04

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I have come to the same conclusion. This is a junior high take, but he still seems slightly sharper than Hadad. That guy is good at reading ads but my wife has better football takes.
They are smart guys. However I think Faulk is driving up hits and traffic on genes page. It's not anything to discuss at the moment.

We have a coach. Also there are so many P5 openings each year, I don't think Deon would ever be an option for State.

Connor Mead1

Oct 18, 2022
That's how I think of it. Absolutely a gamble, but we aren't in the position of play it safe/smart and expect to elevate the program from where we are right now. I'm not sure a safe/smart/good on paper hire exists that is both hirable by MSU and with recruiting upside that could elevating us from the status we currently reside it (6-8 wins/yr with no chance at championships, even when the stars align) to something clearly better than that.

ETA: if our true ceiling is about where we're at today, obviously this would not apply. This is only from my opinion that there are no hirable candidates out there that can elevate our program who also "make sense". We basically have to do something borderline insane to end up with elite talent and championship competitiveness. That or get very organized in cheating/NIL fund raising. I'd be open to that as well.
I've had this discussion with several people over the past month. My take is this, we are a 5-7 win team, with outliers both ways (actually worse lifetime), which puts us in the bottom half of the SEC. To change that there has to be a major shift / a disruptor, and I think it would be worth the gamble. A lot of the fanbase will not like all that comes with him, but recruits will love him, and he could make MSU "cool" to a lot of kids which could help negate some of the NIL issues.
Cohen tried to make major shift with Leach, its just really hard to do if you can't get the talent.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
He's exactly the gamble a program like MSU should take. We have some money and facilities, but that's it. We need the intangibles that we've never had. National marketing and confidence. Prime is that. It would be real chance to actually elevate our profile to the point it could result in elite recruiting. Tired of 7-8 win seasons? Elevate your recruiting.

If he fails, what harm is caused? Get in line with the others that have failed and go back to traditional hiring.
To me this is spot on! Mississippi State is in desperate need of a "brand" right now. We need something that is going to shake up the college football world and media talking points. Its the reason why I (somewhat) like the idea of hiring Freeze...it would rock the boat in a lot of good ways. Neon is still also very much at "celebrity" status, which would only help with todays recruits. We need something flashy, and I cant think of anybody more flashy than Deion. Its the same thing that om got with hiring Kiffin. Hes flashy in his own way, controversial, polarizing, media loves him, and fits their program to a T (also why I dont think he will leave om any time soon). They honestly could not have made a better hire for themselves.

We need to shake things up now before we are left too far behind and become even more forgettable than we already are. In todays bowl game era, its new years six bowl at least...every other bowl has become insignificant and overall not the recruiting pitch it used to be. I would be all for the gamble, because at the very least it would put us on the map, and as mentioned before, would really shake things up in the college football world.

Reactions: Connor Mead1
Oct 17, 2022
prime time had already retired when the kids we are recruiting were born. im Not sure how much flash there is. unless he has a lot of NIL money he’s bringing with him this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Connor Mead1

Oct 18, 2022
To me this is spot on! Mississippi State is in desperate need of a "brand" right now. We need something that is going to shake up the college football world and media talking points. Its the reason why I (somewhat) like the idea of hiring Freeze...it would rock the boat in a lot of good ways. Neon is still also very much at "celebrity" status, which would only help with todays recruits. We need something flashy, and I cant think of anybody more flashy than Deion. Its the same thing that om got with hiring Kiffin. Hes flashy in his own way, controversial, polarizing, media loves him, and fits their program to a T (also why I dont think he will leave om any time soon). They honestly could not have made a better hire for themselves.

We need to shake things up now before we are left too far behind and become even more forgettable than we already are. In todays bowl game era, its new years six bowl at least...every other bowl has become insignificant and overall not the recruiting pitch it used to be. I would be all for the gamble, because at the very least it would put us on the map, and as mentioned before, would really shake things up in the college football world.
I agree, (although it will likely never happen) we have to have a major shift. There is no one who knows branding better than Deion, and recruits are all about brand, weather its personal brand or team brand. Heck he has made JSU cool, I bet their merchandise sales are insane right now.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Just throwing stuff out there to be “controversial” and create listeners ? Yea I can see that. But you start losing credibility in a hurry If you aren’t careful.
Yeah. Ive always taken their podcast as somewhat professional. However interacting in 247 threads and discussing those threads on the podcast.... Fan boy podcast.

Reactions: Croomonshrooms
Oct 17, 2022
Yeah. Ive always taken their podcast as somewhat professional. However interacting in 247 threads and discussing those threads on the podcast.... Fan boy podcast.
Spot on. I can’t think of anything worse than taking the top 12 idiotic takes off of Genes, and then reading them on air for your show format.
It could work if your listening audience average age was 13 or 14. Most of the adults would hit the off button.

Reactions: Maroon13

Connor Mead1

Oct 18, 2022
prime time had already retired when the kids we are recruiting were born. im Not sure how much flash there is. unless he has a lot of NIL money he’s bringing with him this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
10-15 years ago I would have agreed, but today his highlights are everywhere and very easy to find. There are very few athletes who once they retire have lasting star power, but he is one of them. Also the reach of Barstool adds even more star power.

Mark Ruffalo

Sep 29, 2022
They know who he is. The same way I knew who Mickey Mantle was when I was a teenager even though he hadn't played in 30 years.

Say what you will about Deion as coach, but that MOFO is out recruiting everyone in the country dollar for dollar and it isn't even close. He'd pull in some awesome classes at any SEC school. Not sure how he would run a program, but I have no doubt there would be some serious talent piling up on his sidelines.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
And he's going to continue to get unbelievable talent. That's the allure of Deion. I'm not sure he can coach a lick, but he will darn sure recruit.

Ed O can recruit too. I’d freaking love to overpay his Cajun *** to coach the DL at MSU. As a head coach.. heck naw.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
I've had this discussion with several people over the past month. My take is this, we are a 5-7 win team, with outliers both ways (actually worse lifetime), which puts us in the bottom half of the SEC. To change that there has to be a major shift / a disruptor, and I think it would be worth the gamble. A lot of the fanbase will not like all that comes with him, but recruits will love him, and he could make MSU "cool" to a lot of kids which could help negate some of the NIL issues.
Cohen tried to make major shift with Leach, its just really hard to do if you can't get the talent.
Except that Cohen then handcuffed Leach's public presence after an innocent tweet and made him do sensitivity training.

Oct 17, 2022
10-15 years ago I would have agreed, but today his highlights are everywhere and very easy to find. There are very few athletes who once they retire have lasting star power, but he is one of them. Also the reach of Barstool adds even more star power.
Connor I watch a lot of football and haven’t seen a prime highlight in several years. The guy retired in 2004, the kids we are recruiting werent even born yet.

Connor Mead1

Oct 18, 2022
Connor I watch a lot of football and haven’t seen a prime highlight in several years. The guy retired in 2004, the kids we are recruiting werent even born yet.
My point is, his highlights are easy to find (Google / youtube), 17-18 year old kids aren't likely watching football the same way you and I do. You don't have to agree, but I believe he still has a lot of star power.

Oct 17, 2022
I guess you can find some Atlanta Falcons clips on YouTube from 20 years ago, but I’m not sure that will bring in kids who are being offered 500K from the blue blood schools.
3 years in the SWAC and some old YouTube highlights ? Sounds like a plan

Aug 23, 2012
Agree if you don't have the talent, you ain't going to win. Deion Sanders could probably bring in a lot of talent. He would need some top notch assistants to be successful. Might be worth taking the chance depending on the outcome of this season.

Reactions: Connor Mead1

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Deion has the “it” factor. More so than Leach. He has energized and unified the JSU fan base. He even has the football team playing at a high level. It would be a big gamble but the only way for us to win big is to take a gamble. I’m in no way saying we should fire Leach to make this happen but if Leach were to depart (for whatever reasons) then I would definitely be interested in Coach Prime.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

"If he fails, what harm is caused" Well, lets see. Does the name Rick Ray ring a bell? How about Joe Moorhead (currently holds the nations longest collegiate losing streak)? Then there's Nikki Mcray Pinson? I'm still on MSU failures in the last 10 years, do you want to look outside MSU too or is that enough for you? You not only give away their failed time while at your school you also have to wait for the wounds to heal after they're gone, thats "what harm is cause". Geez.....

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login