Favorite MS city / town / county names?

RebelRH

May 2, 2013
You must be in Union County or North MS because no one outside of this area knows how Keownville is pronounced.

Kind of like Chalybeate in Tippah County

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
You must be in Union County or North MS because no one outside of this area knows how Keownville is pronounced.

Kind of like Chalybeate in Tippah County
Can't tell you how many times I've heart Key-owen-ville. I just tell people to ignore the "e" and they've got it.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Chicken Bone (Calhoun County near Bruce) and Possumneck (Attala County South of West) are a couple of my favorites. Since I grew up in S MS Hot Coffee is another

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
It's because people in Mississippi can't read! When someone first told me about Yocona I thought they were absolutely insane. There is absolutely no reasoning to pronounce it that way or if the pronunciation is correct, spell it that way.

At least those coastal names can blame it on the French.

The first name I remember hearing pronounced southern is in Tenn and that is Milan (My-Lan). People thought I was nuts for saying (Me-laan).

That is all over though. Where I grew up on Long Island there are many indian names that are not pronounced how they seem to be spelled. Patchogue, Wantagh, Ronkonkoma, Massapequa, Yaphank, Quogue, Nissequogue, Copiague and many more.

Last edited:

PirateBay

Jan 9, 2020
I don't even know if I would call it a town, but there is a community somewhere around Egypt named "Shake Rag".

Nugdawg

Mar 3, 2008
I grew up in Lincoln County in Hog Chain. We had a store when I was little in the fork of the road but it burned…not really a town though. Our mail went to Bogue Chitto.

• Love
Reactions: skydawg1 and eckie1

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Not a town... but I remember having no clue what the hell my dad was saying when we was going fishing up at toba-tubba

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Chicken Bone (Calhoun County near Bruce) and Possumneck (Attala County South of West) are a couple of my favorites. Since I grew up in S MS Hot Coffee is another
Possumneck is actually east of West. 5 miles on Hwy 19. It's an old joke to us native Attala countians.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Maybe somebody from around Tishomingo County can verify this for me. A buddy of mine from Burnsville once told me that Jacinto up there is pronounced as J-center. Is that correct? I know that down south I've always heard Gitano (just NW of SoSo) pronounced as Guy-tain-ah.

Reactions: Dawg84
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login