Favorite MS city / town / county names?

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
Maybe somebody from around Tishomingo County can verify this for me. A buddy of mine from Burnsville once told me that Jacinto up there is pronounced as J-center. Is that correct? I know that down south I've always heard Gitano (just NW of SoSo) pronounced as Guy-tain-ah.
I'm not from Tish or Alcorn but relatively close. I have always pronounced it Jay-sin-tuh

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
Try explaining to someone that's not from MS that to drive from Clarksdale to Cleveland, you gotta drive through Alligator and Hushpuckena.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Some names that non-Mississippians would have no idea what you're saying, nor could they pronounce it correctly.

I'll start - Keownville and "Lewis-vul"
Grew up in NawlBenny so I know how to say Keownville. Good to have a fellow 2 time bulldog on here ….if you aren’t from out in the county

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
Grew up in NawlBenny so I know how to say Keownville. Good to have a fellow 2 time bulldog on here ….if you aren’t from out in the county
2x Bulldog here. In Union County, you're either a bulldog, a bird, or an Urchin...

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Chalybeate Ms. No idea how to pronounce it jus know where it’s at

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I grew up in Lincoln County in Hog Chain. We had a store when I was little in the fork of the road but it burned…not really a town though. Our mail went to Bogue Chitto.
There was some famous Native American guy at the Neshoba County Fair one year in the 80’s. I guess he was in some movies or something. He spoke to the crowd after the stickball game, and he pronounced Bogue Chitto as any outsider would…. “BOgh CHITTO-O”. I love our pronunciations, but wish I knew which ones were truly accurate!

The dead giveaway one is Pass Christian. You couldn’t even try to pronounce that one as the locals do.

AROB44

Mar 20, 2008
How many of you remember, before the Pearl River reservoir was built, a stop off the Trace called Yokhochny? I am sure I misspelled it but it is the best I can do.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Bobo
Soso
Thytira
Walnut
Tutwiler
Sabougla
Toccopola
Ingomar
Mantachie
Bellefontaine (very few pronounce it right)

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Wise’s Gap
Splunge
Alligator
Tilden
you should hear someone not from Mississippi try to pronounce Amory

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
How many of you remember, before the Pearl River reservoir was built, a stop off the Trace called Yokhochny? I am sure I misspelled it but it is the best I can do.
Yockanookany. It's a river that starts up in Attala Co. and flows into the Pearl above lowhead dam.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

JCsunshine89

Sep 4, 2023
Chickasawhay River

Beat Four, not a town but a community named after the beat

Tokyo

Laurel, always thought it was funny the way people outside of Mississippi or the area say it.

Hundreds or Thousands, If you are from Wayne County you know what or where I’m talking about

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Chickasawhay River

Tokyo

Laurel, always thought it was funny the way people outside of Mississippi or the area say it.

Hundreds or Thousands, If you are from Wayne County you know what or where I’m talking about
Isn't Beat Four in Whistler?

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
I was in a deer camp on the river as a kid and we called it yock-hogany. Like mahogany

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
Louise

Home to Hoover’s sauce. I don’t know how many generations deep Chinese family that have accents thicker than mine.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
Chickasawhay River

I lived next door to an old boy at Jones (before I went to State) that was from Clara in Wayne County, and that’s the only reason I know how to pronounce “Chickasawhay”

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Some people from elsewhere can’t even pronounce Biloxi properly and good luck with D’Iberville and Gautier
I’m not sure I know how to pronounce Gautier. I think it’s “Go shay”, but swear I’ve heard people from the coast call it “go-chay” and some from Wiggins pronounce it like Saucier.

JCsunshine89

Sep 4, 2023
I lived next door to an old boy at Jones (before I went to State) that was from Clara in Wayne County, and that’s the only reason I know how to pronounce “Chickasawhay
Yeah there’s a boat ramp that’s a frequented “spot” before you get to Clara on 63.
Curious, did he pronounce it like he was saying Clar-er , or did he add the uh as in Clar-uh

I have family from Clara. People from Clara believe that is Gods Country 🙄

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login