Favorite MS city / town / county names?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
French, Indian, Spanish, English we’ve had such a melting pot in this state it’s no wonder we have some strange names. I remember back in high school. We actually had a class called Mississippi History, and there were some some really crazy maps of who all had land in Mississippi throughout the state history. They probably have burned all the Mississippi history books or at least you know they probably don’t teach tha subject anymore.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Is black hawk not pronounced like it looks? I do know that Coila is named after them Australian bears.
It sure is but that wasn’t the subject of the title of the thread.
And no, Coila and Koala are pronounced totally different dubmass
and Coila is definitely not named after the Australian Bear

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
I just enjoy how Hollywood types butcher and mispronounce "Biloxi." And don't get me started on Saucier (my grandma's hometown).
You’d be surprised at how many Mississipians think Gautier (my hometown) and Saucier are pronounced the same except with the G and S switched. Has cracked me up numerous times over the years: to hear “So Shay” and the look when I tell them, nope - “So Sure”…

Funny side story. We went to Hawaii a few years ago and it amazed me that the GPS on my phone would correctly pronounce these super long street names in Hawaii that looked like a jumble of letters. Can it correctly pronounce Gautier-Vancleave Road? Nope, lol…

Last edited:

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
I’m not sure I know how to pronounce Gautier. I think it’s “Go shay”, but swear I’ve heard people from the coast call it “go-chay” and some from Wiggins pronounce it like Saucier.
Most of us say “go shay”, but old timers, like my uncle who has lived here for 60 years, say “go chay”…

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
I’m from the dirty as well
Tonight Show Agree GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
A non local will butcher Pass Christian. The Google maps voice annihilates Gluckstad but it’s probably the actual German pronunciation (Glook…)

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It sure is but that wasn’t the subject of the title of the thread.
And no, Coila and Koala are pronounced totally different dubmass
I will set up a duel between you and the guy from Carrolton that told me how to pronounce Coila then. Or maybe I need to know how you pronounce Koala? Maybe one of us is pronouncing that wrong.
and Coila is definitely not named after the Australian Bear

Are you sure? The spelling seems to similar to be coincidental.

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Wise’s Gap
Splunge
Alligator
Tilden
you should hear someone not from Mississippi try to pronounce Amory
More often than not it’s Armory. Since you must be from Moron County, have you ever heard of Bristol Ms in Monroe County?

99jc

Jul 31, 2008
you think Mississippi has odd names Arkansas has toad suck-pickles gap-and blueball

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Maybe somebody from around Tishomingo County can verify this for me. A buddy of mine from Burnsville once told me that Jacinto up there is pronounced as J-center. Is that correct? I know that down south I've always heard Gitano (just NW of SoSo) pronounced as Guy-tain-ah.
It's definitely not Gih-tohn- o , its Guy-tain-ah as you said.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Where did we ever get "Fee-bee" from Phoeba? And Bell-Fountain from Bellefontain

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
I always laugh at the generic town name "West."

"I live just east of West."

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
Mama wouldn’t let us talk to kids from the county when I was growing up!
You mess up and say the word "consolidate" around Myrtle, Ingomar, Blue Springs, or Etta/Poolville, you'll be given the death penalty. I assume the same goes for Tippah County with Blue Mountain, Pine Grove, Walnut, and Falkner.

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

MaroonSadness99

Aug 1, 2022
You mess up and say the word "consolidate" around Myrtle, Ingomar, Blue Springs, or Etta/Poolville, you'll be given the death penalty. I assume the same goes for Tippah County with Blue Mountain, Pine Grove, Walnut, and Falkner.
You’re right but then they also vote against funding to keep those schools going…

Reactions: NawlBennyDawg

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
Maybe somebody from around Tishomingo County can verify this for me. A buddy of mine from Burnsville once told me that Jacinto up there is pronounced as J-center. Is that correct? I know that down south I've always heard Gitano (just NW of SoSo) pronounced as Guy-tain-ah.
Born and raised in Tish county and your buddy is wrong. It’s pronounced how it’s spelled.

Reactions: Mjoelner
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login