Favorite MS city / town / county names?

dawgenstein

Mar 3, 2008
French, Indian, Spanish, English we’ve had such a melting pot in this state it’s no wonder we have some strange names. I remember back in high school. We actually had a class called Mississippi History, and there were some some really crazy maps of who all had land in Mississippi throughout the state history. They probably have burned all the Mississippi history books or at least you know they probably don’t teach tha subject anymore.
I’ve traced my ancestors on my Father’s side to Georgia in 1807. At least I thought it was what we know now as Georgia, but years ago I came across some history never taught in my Mississippi education (born and raised as a Gen X’er). Now I have no idea where my 3rd Great Grandfather lived. Was that land over by the Carolinas, or the same place as my parents now. Some of Mississippi was Georgia for a while…and much of the history of the big land transactions were burned intentionally…. https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/strange-maps-yazoo-land-affair

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
Born and raised in Tish county and your buddy is wrong. It’s pronounced how it’s spelled.
I grew up about 15 minutes from there and have heard pronounce it "J-center" many times. Most of the time it was by members of the greatest generation.

SouthMsDawg02

Oct 2, 2023
Chatawa
Osyka
Hobo station
Possumneck
Arkabutla
Shubuta
Buckatunna
Tomnolen
Anguilla
Learned
Lloyd star
Algoma

too many good ones to name.
Only ONE L in Loyd Star

Being a Lincoln county native we have our own unique way of pronouncing Brookhaven (Brook-AYE-vin)

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
I grew up about 15 minutes from there and have heard pronounce it "J-center" many times. Most of the time it was by members of the greatest generation.
Interesting. I grew up in Iuka and I’ve never heard it pronounced like that. I asked my mom and she said she has but it’s just real country people saying it with an accent, it’s not the correct way to say it.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
Interesting. I grew up in Iuka and I’ve never heard it pronounced like that. I asked my mom and she said she has but it’s just real country people saying it with an accent, it’s not the correct way to say it.
I know it's not the correct way to say it, but that's the point.
And "real country people"... if you've ever been there, that's pretty much all you're going to find.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I know this is MS towns but I'll throw an AR town at you.

McGehee.
Pronounce the same as Magee, MS.

NtzReb

Oct 8, 2015
Anna's Bottom. Area in rural Adams County north of Natchez used primarily for farming. Not a unique pronunciation, but an amusing name.

From a pronunciation - Benoit, north of Greenville. My wife has family from there. They say it like "Ba-know-it." In SW MS, it would be pronounced "Ben-wah."

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login