FC/OT: RIP Pete Rose

Nittany1865Farmer

Oct 12, 2021

Coming in bunches it seems.

One can see the similarity of PSU's case with the public and Pete Rose with MLB. Pete was made "an example" of what is all wrong with baseball and was blackmarked for life while those who came after him committed even worse infractions and were given a pass by the media and the fans.

Reactions: MacNit and FHSPSU67

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
One can see the similarity of PSU's case with the public and Pete Rose with MLB. Pete was made "an example" of what is all wrong with baseball and was blackmarked for life while those who came after him committed even worse infractions and were given a pass by the media and the fans.
Not sure i agree... he basically lied all the way through. Refused to ever take any accountability... and was generally an unlikable jackwagon. My guess is he is in the Hall in 12-24 months

Rick76

Oct 13, 2021
I remember his minor league teammate Art Shamsky talking about Pete. They were together in what was then Class D ball. Shamsky said it was more or less consensus that this guy would never make it above Class B ball. But Pete was determined and he made himself into a fine ballplayer - the kind of guy you love if he's on your team or hate if he's on an opponent's team.

Reactions: MacNit

Nittany1865Farmer

Oct 12, 2021
Not sure i agree... he basically lied all the way through. Refused to ever take any accountability... and was generally an unlikable jackwagon. My guess is he is in the Hall in 12-24 months
He does deserve to be in the HOF based on his numbers alone, but the baseball "purists" have poisoned the waters so badly that I really don't think he'll have a chance to ever get in.

Reactions: FHSPSU67

Whart

Oct 8, 2021
Absolutely deserves to be in the HOF.
I agree…..I base my opinion on his on the field performance and accomplishment. Do I agree with certain of his lifestyle choices/ vices …..no. I look only at his performance as a player. He was more than sufficiently penalized by several commisoners. Time to look past his personal issues. He paid his dues for his conduct etc etc.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I hated him when he was on the Reds.

I thought his contribution to the Phils was a tad overhyped, but they won a World Series with him on the roster. And I did enjoy his play for the Fightins.

Initially, when I heard about the gambling issue, and his being banned from MLB, I thought MLB had overreacted. In learning more about what he did, I think MLB was justified.

He was a great player, but due to his gambling on MLB while a manager, I really don't think he'll ever be voted into the HOF.

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
Just a reflection on the hypocrisy our society. I’m not advocating for his admission to Cooperstown. But it appears that there’s racists, wife beaters, drunkards, probably a couple child molesters and Lord knows what other miscreants are in there. I don’t believe he’d totally upset the pristine harmony of the place if they let him in. Hell, Pete can’t even lay a wager down on his chances after today.

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021
The (sort of) interesting thing is that years ago, MLB and the Baseball HOF said, in response to his being barred from the Hall as a player, said they had made a distinction between his on-field accomplishments and his off-field gambling. They could not abide his or anyone's gambling on the game, so no to him being in the Hall. However, they display his "stuff" in the museum attached to the Hall, in recognition of all he did as a player.
Of course, the response to that included the suggestion that the Hall/museum was/is being self-serving in that way, as his "stuff" is some of what fans want to see and will help sell tickets.
It's one of those arguments that many can see the reasoning on both sides. I feel that compromise, self-serving or not, is a reasonable one.

Reactions: FHSPSU67

Relayer

Oct 12, 2021
So far MLB is ignoring the passing of Pete Rose. Nothing on their website or on x. No mention from the Phillies either. Geez, did the guy kill someone?

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
June 21, 1991, Pete and a buxom blond ( IIRC ) accompany Mike Schmidt along with that waste of sperm, Howard Eskin, in an open Limo onto the field in Reading to celebrate Mike’s night at the Reading Phillies where Mike’s number was retired.

Me and @Garw had holed up pregame at the Northeast Taproom pounding Molesterfields (Yuengling Chesterfield Ale poured into a Yuengling Porter in a fishbowl ) and drove down to the game with a buddy. It is a mob scene. Under the stands, @Garw gets into a screaming match with the little birth accident and proceeds to shut him up While everyone in the surrounding area is giving the bearded yard gnome the business as well.

After the verbal altercation, it was back to the Northeast Taproom to celebrate and debrief with friends……….. Oh to be young……..

Also, RIP Charlie Hustle. Hall of Fame or not, he had A remarkable career.

Last edited:

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Sad
Sad news a
bout
I agree…..I base my opinion on his on the field performance and accomplishment. Do I agree with certain of his lifestyle choices/ vices …..no. I look only at his performance as a player. He was more than sufficiently penalized by several commisoners. Time to look past his personal issues. He paid his dues for his conduct etc etc.
Sad news about Pete passing. However, he violated the cardinal rule: don’t bet on baseball. There are signs on every clubhouse reminding everyone about this rule. Someone from the Commissioner’s office also visits each team in spring training with a further reminder. Pete then compounded his violation of this rule by arrogantly denying he bet on the game most likely thinking that his on field performance and his numerous apologists would get his banishment from the Hall responded. Even after Manfred became Commissioner and gave him a chance to come clean he still denied betting on the game. It was only recently when he finally recognized his own mortality did he fess up. I am sorry about his passing but fully agree with him being banned from the Hall.

Reactions: Erial_Lion

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Just a reflection on the hypocrisy our society. I’m not advocating for his admission to Cooperstown. But it appears that there’s racists, wife beaters, drunkards, probably a couple child molesters and Lord knows what other miscreants are in there. I don’t believe he’d totally upset the pristine harmony of the place if they let him in. Hell, Pete can’t even lay a wager down on his chances after today.
I agree Tom. The hypocrisy of the MLB itself, as now you can watch a game and get at least a dozen commercials advertising gambling during the game. Then you have the A’s moving from Oakland….to Vegas. It’s just my opinion, and maybe it’s old fashioned thinking, but pro sports teams in Vegas feels like a conflict of interest.

Reactions: Tom_PSU and Whart

1995PSUGrad

Oct 30, 2021
I believe that Pete Rose deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Yes, he bet on baseball and I don't really have a problem with him being banned from MLB. I don't think though that his ban should extend to the Hall of Fame, as his gambling doesn't take away from his accomplishments. With that sad, I don't know if he will ever get in. However, if Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens ever get in, Rose should be admitted the next day!

Reactions: BriantheLion

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I agree Tom. The hypocrisy of the MLB itself, as now you can watch a game and get at least a dozen commercials advertising gambling during the game. Then you have the A’s moving from Oakland….to Vegas. It’s just my opinion, and maybe it’s old fashioned thinking, but pro sports teams in Vegas feels like a conflict of interest.
Nothing hypocritical about it…MLB teams also have beer companies as sponsors. Are they hypocrites if they don’t allow pitchers and umpires to drink before/during games (insert obvious Angel Hernandez joke)?

There is a time and a place…MLB players/managers betting on their games completely crosses the line, and MLB did what was needed to protect the sport.

• Love
Reactions: saturdaysarebetter

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
I played a LOT of baseball over 20 years. I never thought he was top-echelon at any point, but he did play very well for a long time. But his tenacity in conjunction with his performance made him an icon like few others.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I played a LOT of baseball over 20 years. I never thought he was top-echelon at any point, but he did play very well for a long time. But his tenacity in conjunction with his performance made him an icon like few others.

Read that he’s the only player ever to record 500 games at five different positions.

Relayer

Oct 12, 2021
Nothing hypocritical about it…MLB teams also have beer companies as sponsors. Are they hypocrites if they don’t allow pitchers and umpires to drink before/during games (insert obvious Angel Hernandez joke)?

There is a time and a place…MLB players/managers betting on their games completely crosses the line, and MLB did what was needed to protect the sport.
I get the protecting of the sport. Yet, somehow they ignored the steroid era until it was too late and out of control.

PSUAXE70

Oct 12, 2021

Coming in bunches it seems.

Hack Wilson set a record, 191 RBIs in a season, that Babe Ruth said would never be broken and has not been broken in almost 100 years. He had the stats to get into the Hall of Fame but he didn’t get in until 30 years after his death because he was a drunk. The HOF is determined by performance on the field and bad behavior off the field shouldn’t matter. Maybe Lenny Dykstra will get in some day and I won’t argue but I will remember him as a spoiled, self centered, disgusting lowlife.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

Fair enough. But the obvious and promoted entanglement of pro sports and betting has skewed the lines quite a bit. Just my 2 cents. Correct me if I’M wrong, but didn’t they only surmise that Rose bet on baseball as a manager? If so, fine, but his career as a player is HOF worthy. Also, MLB didn’t seem to care about protecting the sport when Barry Bond’s head was growing year by year or Roger Clemens was throwing broken bats at baserunners or Mark McGwire or Jose Canseco looking like professional bodybuilders.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
He finished in the top 10 of the MVP vote 10 times, led the league in hitting three times, led the league in hits 7 times. That’s pretty upper echelon.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Fair enough. But the obvious and promoted entanglement of pro sports and betting has skewed the lines quite a bit. Just my 2 cents. Correct me if I’M wrong, but didn’t they only surmise that Rose bet on baseball as a manager? If so, fine, but his career as a player is HOF worthy. Also, MLB didn’t seem to care about protecting the sport when Barry Bond’s head was growing year by year or Roger Clemens was throwing broken bats at baserunners or Mark McGwire or Jose Canseco looking like professional bodybuilders.
You're wrong.

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
Say the name Pete Rose to anyone under 30 that follows the game of baseball and they only know him for the gambling ban and the subsequent fight about whether he belongs in the HOF (I think he does but with something on his plaque acknowledging the gambling ban). It's a shame that all of this (of his own doing, mind you) overshadowed the type of player he was and what he did on the diamond. He embodied the grit and tenacity it took to be successful as an undersized baseball player. He was the first baseball player to make an impression on me (blame all of those Phillies game on WPHL 17) and I'd even spike the ball if I caught the 3rd out of an inning (didn't have the same effect on grass as it did on the Vet Stadium turf).

Reactions: Connorpozlee

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
Pete Rose was my idol as a kid (along with, Bryan Trottier, Dr. J, and Jack Lambert/Mean Joe Greene). I would still use him as an example of how to play the game. He bet on baseball when he knew he wasn’t allowed to. He lied about it for many years. Should he have been banned from the game for life? Yes. Should he be in the hall of fame? Of course. What he did after his playing career is separate from what he did as a player.
I will say this regarding his gambling. He was a compulsive gambler, an addict. I’m not sure how much it really matters to somebody addicted to gambling what signs are posted in the locker room. In this day and age where we have Narcan available at the ready for people addicted to drugs I would think there would be more forgiveness for somebody addicted to gambling.

Reactions: MacNit

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
You're wrong.
Yes. I found more detail.

I still think he deserved to be in the HOF. He’s the all time hits leader. With over 4,000 hits. It will probably never be broken.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Pete Rose was my idol as a kid (along with, Bryan Trottier, Dr. J, and Jack Lambert/Mean Joe Greene). I would still use him as an example of how to play the game. He bet on baseball when he knew he wasn’t allowed to. He lied about it for many years. Should he have been banned from the game for life? Yes. Should he be in the hall of fame? Of course. What he did after his playing career is separate from what he did as a player.
I will say this regarding his gambling. He was a compulsive gambler, an addict. I’m not sure how much it really matters to somebody addicted to gambling what signs are posted in the locker room. In this day and age where we have Narcan available at the ready for people addicted to drugs I would think there would be more forgiveness for somebody addicted to gambling.
I agree about the compulsive gambling. Read the article I posted. He got it from his father.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Yes. I found more detail.

I still think he deserved to be in the HOF. He’s the all time hits leader. With over 4,000 hits. It will probably never be broken.
So rules don't apply to great players? Mkay.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login