Florida State fires Mike Martin, Jr.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Was there a scandal? This doesn't seem like a record that would get someone fired.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Was there a scandal? This doesn't seem like a record that would get someone fired.

It absolutely is when you compare to what FSU used to be. They had 4 CWS appearances, 4 ACC titles, and won a minimum of 41 games in the 10 years before Jr. took over. And that was the twilight of Martin’s career, nothing close to his best teams.

View attachment 24573

Minus their natty curse, FSU is as blue blood as it gets in college baseball. They aren’t going to tolerate mediocrity for very long.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
It absolutely is when you compare to what FSU used to be. They had 4 CWS appearances, 4 ACC titles, and won a minimum of 41 games in the 10 years before Jr. took over. And that was the twilight of Martin’s career, nothing close to his best teams.

View attachment 24573

Minus their natty curse, FSU is as blue blood as it gets in college baseball. They aren’t going to tolerate mediocrity for very long.
If you don’t have a Natty, you are not a Blue Blood.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Wow. Who could’ve seen that coming?*** A nepotism hire that Mike Sr. demanded on his way out the door, probably as part of the retirement agreement. Good for FSU to end the experiment quickly and hire a real coach.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Martin Sr. won 40 games there every single year from 1980-2019. Jr. never won 40 games and never won a Regional. I thought he was a Raffo-ish hire at the time, anyway.

If Link Jarrett weren’t available and very interested I’m not sure they make the move. But if you can get Jarrett then you absolutely lock him down. He’s one of the best coaches in the country and won’t be at Notre Dame much longer regardless.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Wow. Who could’ve seen that coming?*** A nepotism hire that Mike Sr. demanded on his way out the door, probably as part of the retirement agreement. Good for FSU to end the experiment quickly and hire a real coach.

This is why fer sure

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Martin was Jarrett's college roommate and best friend. I'm not convinced he's taking the job.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
It’s good to know that Coastal Carolina and Fresno State are blue bloods, but a school with 22 CWS appearances is not. Dumb argument.
I generally disagree with Lee, but did he say everyone with a natty is a blue blood?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login