FSU vs ACC

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
The latest playoff discussions are about expansion to 14 or 16 teams. This would reduce or eliminate the advantage of a bye. Maybe Notre Dame is pushing this?
ND voted for the current 5+7 format. They don't really have the "go along to get along" reputation. They agreed to put themselves in a disadvantage for a reason.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
That's nonsensical. If AAU status were the be-all, end-all for the Big 10, why would they have voted in a school who was known to be likely losing their AAU status? They simply would not have risked it if it were truly a critical factor. They did it because it was thought Nebraska would add value, as they had been a powerhouse program.

Make no mistake, if it's a choice between "keep up the AAU status" or "get a footprint in the heart of SEC territory", they'll choose the latter in about a half millisecond. The Big 10 and SEC are at war (for whatever silly reason) and this would be the most direct blow to date.
It wasn't that cut and dry. They knew they had issues, but they were a little blind sided by the vote happening when it did. They thought they had time to cure it. And by then, they had already been admitted to the B1G. NEB had been in the AAU for 102 years. They were booted bc their medical facility is off campus, and they're heavily involved in ag research, which the AAU doesn't value.

I think King is spot on. They're less likely take such a risk based on what happened with NEB.

• Love
Reactions: Rogue Cock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It wasn't that cut and dry. They knew they had issues, but they were a little blind sided by the vote happening when it did. They thought they had time to cure it. And by then, they had already been admitted to the B1G. NEB had been in the AAU for 102 years. They were booted bc their medical facility is off campus, and they're heavily involved in ag research, which the AAU doesn't value.

I think King is spot on. They're less likely take such a risk based on what happened with NEB.

I read the same article. All I know is how I can recall it happening at the time. Again, if AAU status was an absolute, dead-set, non-negotiable requirement to be in the Big 10, why would they vote someone in when they knew their status was in doubt? The answer is: they did it because they thought Nebraska added value and it was worth the gamble. Whatever value they thought they could get by adding Nebraska at the time, multiply that by 100 for value they can get from adding FSU, on top of which it gives them a foothold in the heart of SEC country.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
If UNC and UVA go to the BIG, it would not shock me one bit to see the SEC go for new markets through NC State and Virginia Tech.

Add FSU and Clemson and you can get two- 10-school divisions, if that's wanted.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I read the same article. All I know is how I can recall it happening at the time. Again, if AAU status was an absolute, dead-set, non-negotiable requirement to be in the Big 10, why would they vote someone in when they knew their status was in doubt? The answer is: they did it because they thought Nebraska added value and it was worth the gamble. Whatever value they thought they could get by adding Nebraska at the time, multiply that by 100 for value they can get from adding FSU, on top of which it gives them a foothold in the heart of SEC country.
NEB is much more valuable than FSU.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Plot twist….ND to the ACC bc of the new CFP rules. As it is, ND could go 12-0 ranked #1 and the best they can do is #5 in the playoff and not get a bye. Why would they vote for that if they weren’t planning on joining a conference?
About 6/7 of UNDs biggest rivals are now in the B1G.....and the B1G is looking to add one more. Plus, I've understood that UNDs administrators want a share of the BTAA research funding. Also, the B1G has a TV contract with UNDs media partner, the ACC nor the SEC do.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Nebraska is not an AAU member. They were on the verge of being kicked out of the AAU when they were seeking to join the Big 10 in 2010. It was known that their AAU status was in jeopardy while they were seeking to join the Big 10. They were voted out of the AAU in April 2011, several months prior to their membership in the Big 10 becoming effective. If AAU membership was a dead set requirement, Nebraska would not have been voted in while their status was in peril.

That aside, all the old paradigms are dying anyway. Nothing that has been in college football matters going forward. In fact, there seems to be a concerted effort to abolish those things that have been. The singular determining factor in every decision going forward is money. Regarding future expansion, at the most, AAU membership would be a preference for Big 10 membership. Regarding future expansion, if the Big 10 could plant a flag in SEC territory, it'll be AA-who? instead of AAU.
Not true. They are still the top university for agricultural research in the country and they have a top-notch medical school that does cancer research. The problem was that AAU put less emphasis on ag research and more emphasis on having your medical school where the main campus of the universlity is located.....Nebraska's medical school is in Omaha not Lincoln. They will more than likely be reinvited within the next 5 years.

Reactions: DaboSits2PeePee

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Not so fast, My Friend. What happened with Nebraska is the very reason that solid AAU attainment will factor into future B1G selections.
The main reason I don't think FSU will get an invite....they were close but didn't make it. UND and Miami finally made it after being close for a number of years.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
But their path to the playoff is through the ACC. My guess is the B10 would have loved to bring them on as a non football member, in hopes they'd eventually join 100%. I also thought it was interesting to see how much they lobbied the ACC to bring in Stanford and SMU.
The B1G wasn't going to bring them in as a non-football member.....the ACC was the only conference willing to make that offer. UND does play in the B1G for men's hockey.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
About 6/7 of UNDs biggest rivals are now in the B1G.....and the B1G is looking to add one more. Plus, I've understood that UNDs administrators want a share of the BTAA research funding. Also, the B1G has a TV contract with UNDs media partner, the ACC nor the SEC do.
Yeah, whatever. I'd just love for ND to stroll in and tell FSU to STFU and sit in the back. "Ain't nobody goin nowhere, you hear me??!!"

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
What are your thoughts on what I stated above: if UNC and UVA go to the BIG, the SEC goes after new markets through NC State and Virginia Tech?
I've always thought that would be a possibility.....IIRC UVA was invited at the same time Maryland was and turned the B1G down. From what I've heard, the B1G is more concentrated on UNC and Miami who have been more approachable (for lack of a better term).

Reactions: GCJerryUSC

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Interesting. I wonder if the UVA folks are now kicking themselves in the rear end?
Well....they would be "safe" now and UMD had to make some concessions that I don't remember being put on UVA....such as participating as a full-share member out of the gate.

RUMMENIGGE

Jan 31, 2022
I do not know anything about the loopholes or the Perry Mason legality to this lawsuit, but I believe that Florida State has a secret agreement to join another conference . Otherwise Florida State would not go all through this inconvenience.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
I do not know anything about the loopholes or the Perry Mason legality to this lawsuit, but I believe that Florida State has a secret agreement to join another conference . Otherwise Florida State would not go all through this inconvenience.
You would think. I would really be shocked if they didn’t.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
. Regarding future expansion, if the Big 10 could plant a flag in SEC territory, it'll be AA-who? instead of AAU.
Umm, about that, FSU (by most accounts is in the next round ) Miami, GT and right next door UNC. That is in SEC territory and AAU.
B1G will not have to forgo or even acquiesce the AAU requirement.

Last edited:

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
That's nonsensical. If AAU status were the be-all, end-all for the Big 10, why would they have voted in a school who was known to be likely losing their AAU status? They simply would not have risked it if it were truly a critical factor. They did it because it was thought Nebraska would add value, as they had been a powerhouse program.

Make no mistake, if it's a choice between "keep up the AAU status" or "get a footprint in the heart of SEC territory", they'll choose the latter in about a half millisecond. The Big 10 and SEC are at war (for whatever silly reason) and this would be the most direct blow to date.
I'm not saying a categorical "no". I am saying that they are going to be able to do way better than Florida State in the short term in ways that matter most to the Big 10.

Last edited:

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Yeah, whatever. I'd just love for ND to stroll in and tell FSU to STFU and sit in the back. "Ain't nobody goin nowhere, you hear me??!!"
UND has no incentive to join the ACC....if they did they already would have. And FSU especially has no reason to stay in the conference....none...and they will act in their own best interest, much like UND.

Reactions: GCJerryUSC

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
NEB is much more valuable than FSU.

• Wow
Reactions: KingWard

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Umm, about that, FSU (by most accounts is in the next round ) Miami, GT and right next door UNC. That is in SEC territory and AAU.
B1G will not have to forgo or even acquiesce the AAU requirement.
Why do people believe that for all the conferences this expansion is solely about athletics? Do they not realize that the B1G has ALWAYS been as much about academics as it ever was about athletics. They are not the same as the SEC.

Mar 24, 2022
Why do people believe that for all the conferences this expansion is solely about athletics? Do they not realize that the B1G has ALWAYS been as much about academics as it ever was about athletics. They are not the same as the SEC.
I believe if I was the Big 10 I attempt a pre-emptive strike and invite FSU,UNC,Ga Tech,and Virginia to join.I’d rather have Virginia than Miami.Strong academic schools except FSU and gives you a foothold into Fla,Ga,NC, and Virginia.
The question would be Miami or FSU.To me Miami a better fit than FSU.FSU seems like a Big 12 school to me.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
I believe if I was the Big 10 I attempt a pre-emptive strike and invite FSU,UNC,Ga Tech,and Virginia to join.I’d rather have Virginia than Miami.Strong academic schools except FSU and gives you a foothold into Fla,Ga,NC, and Virginia.
The question would be Miami or FSU.To me Miami a better fit than FSU.FSU seems like a Big 12 school to me.
I believe from all I've heard that at least 3 of those schools already have landing spots and tentative agreements have been made.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
If geography wasn't an issue, every single conference in the country would take NEB over FSU.
Nebraska brought in tons of research money to the conference due to its ag school standing. Mizzou was the other candidate and they still are a member of the AAU.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
So, since this FSU vs ACC, ACC vs FSU litigation is expected to last 12-24 months, does anyone care to make a over/under
prediction to the number of pages on this thread ? ;)
If everyone stays engaged, I think 100 is relatively safe.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
To me that scenario only works if you buy into the “footprint” theory over eyes and views. I don’t believe the first will be as much of a driver in the future. Matchups is the driver in my opinion at least as it pertains to football.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Monetary value need not equate to desirability, which is the more operative value in this situation.
How do you measure desirability? Is it viewership? Hard to really compare the most recent year bc FSU had a really good year and NE didn’t. Last year NE averaged 2.39 million per game. From 2015-2019 (similar suckage) FSU had 2.23.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
How do you measure desirability? Is it viewership? Hard to really compare the most recent year bc FSU had a really good year and NE didn’t. Last year NE averaged 2.39 million per game. From 2015-2019 (similar suckage) FSU had 2.23.
Besides the fact that, as a member of the B1G, Nebraska automatically and annually plays a more attractive and telegenic schedule than FSU, right now, I measure desirability by the degree to which someone would be willing to beguile either one of these to leave their present league to move to another league.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Depends on the conference and the individual schools. Desireability is not limited to one individual idea.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock