Good thread from the pay board - What's your unpopular State opinion?

DawgsOnTheWing

Sep 26, 2012
The MAROON-WHITE cheer should never be led by the cheerleaders. When it is, it sounds too geriatric. It should be organic (ex., Omaha in 2021 was some of the best M-W chants ever and they were spontaneous).

And more SPS related.......

Dales is pretty good.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The school colors are maroon and white! Black, gray, or other uniforms have become common, and seem to dominate at basketball games. I disagree with the idea that the teams should wear those colors because "the players like them."

MAROOOOON....WHIIIITE!!!

Now, get off my lawn!
username checks out**

I keed, I keed. But I do think you need a third color in a uniform set, in order to have some flexibility and cool stuff... Gray needs to be our third color, and that's the only one.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
The Banner M is a great logo - maybe not as a football helmet logo, I’ll concede. As a general logo for the University it should remain in place. I cringe every time Hadad trashes it during his ad reads. It’s the winningest football logo in school history for petesake!

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Selmon is going to end up being one of the most disliked ADs State has had by the time he leaves.

If this ends up being true, I'll give a truly unpopular opinion...

We really need to assess what is going wrong with our assessment of high level minority hires in the athletic program.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Our fans have absolutely no idea how hard it is to win at Mississippi State, especially in football. Some based on our choices, some based on the state's choices, some based on other things - but that's a different thread.

Today's evidence:

74-76-2 on the field.
Using the sheer record as a means of comparison to denigrate one of our best coaches ever. At minimum, every one of our records should have an 'MSU factor' baked into it, that takes into account all our disadvantages.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
State related - The Stansbury era will be the best from the modern era of college basketball that any of us will ever live to see

General - College marching bands should've been ended decades ago. A smaller version of 30-40 instruments sitting in the stands and playing abbreviated fight songs, anthems, etc during the game is great, but 99% of the crowd would rather watch a hair metal cover band play at halftime than 100+ kids march across the field to play crap versions of crap music

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
I liked Rick Ray.
eric cartman surprise GIF by South Park

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The Banner M is a great logo ....... As a general logo for the University it should remain in place. I cringe every time Hadad trashes it during his ad reads. It’s the winningest football logo in school history for petesake!
Thank you!

1. it is still the University logo and will remain so. Athletics.....when questioned, I've heard Selmon say the Banner M would still be in place. It won't be as prominent but it is not being elimination.

2. I stopped listening to their podcast because of his Ad reads. Finally straw for that show was when Faulk had to take a shot at the logo during an Interview with Hardy's father. I mean ... good grief dude.

I know they don't care that I don't listen. I don't care that they don't care.

Reactions: LimaoCabeca

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Ha. Accurate.

you can go on there in the mornings and see some thread that someone started and come back after lunch and it will have 300 replies.
We go for quality over quantity. We don’t need their fancy money. We built this place and hung many TV’s in DS’ house before they showed up.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The old dude was better than the new dude.
Aesthetically speaking, the new one is hands down better….

however, in terms of functionality, the old dude was way better. I guarantee non season ticket holders go to way less games now than in the old dude. That is eventually going to impact fan engagement. Kids aren’t going to grow up going to as many games as I did as a kid.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
The heritage of this board as a haven for those with strong, often negative, opinions on MSU players, coaches, logos, other SPS brethren, etc, etc means it is too often dominated by overly negative grumps who are absolutely sure they are correct and don't mind ruining threads to argue anything ad nauseum with any and all comers.

Present company included...
I take exception with this utter BS. South Farm?***

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I was honestly shocked at how many people had him in their Top 5 MSU coaches. Just look at the Alabama teams he was competing against.
You need only not recall what he inherited to disregard him. If you had been on campus for the transition to Sherrill, you would be a huge fan. He not only gave the football program a much-needed boost and he marketed it well. It was a fun time. I was in line at the Hump waiting on tickets (let that sink in) when he showed up with donuts for us students who were there. As bad as we were when he left, it was better than when he entered.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
For the ole guys like me- If "Run Lindsay Run" does not happen in the 1980 Georgia - Florida football game, Mississippi State would have played the Sugar Bowl. MSU & Georgia would have tied for the SEC Champ & did not play head to head.

The rule at the time was that if there was a tie for winning the SEC & the two teams tied did not play head to head, the Sugar Bowl had to take the team that had a been longer since their last appearance. We still haven't ever been the Sugar Bowl. Coincidentally the Sugar Bowl got that rule changed prior to the 81 season.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We essentially ran off the two best football coaches we ever had, McKeen and Mullen.

Reactions: eckie1

Anon1717806835

Jun 7, 2024
We should still be called the Maroons. Come at me
This is what I was going to post. Maroons would be original, as opposed to the generic Bulldog. Taking it a step further, we should have embraced the "Cow College" label used a common cow for an on the field mascot - a Holstein-Friesian or perhaps a Brahman.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
We would’ve made the playoff in 2018 if Mullen had returned.

It is the biggest what-if in the history of Mississippi State athletics.

The Gene Morgan injury is right up there in the annals of legendary MSU what-ifs.

I'll say I don't think it mattered much. We likely still would've lost that game. Baseball gods just seemed aligned against us that week.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The Banner M is a great logo - maybe not as a football helmet logo, I’ll concede. As a general logo for the University it should remain in place. I cringe every time Hadad trashes it during his ad reads. It’s the winningest football logo in school history for petesake!
Thank you!

1. it is still the University logo and will remain so. Athletics.....when questioned, I've heard Selmon say the Banner M would still be in place. It won't be as prominent but it is not being elimination.

2. I stopped listening to their podcast because of his Ad reads. Finally straw for that show was when Faulk had to take a shot at the logo during an Interview with Hardy's father. I mean ... good grief dude.

I know they don't care that I don't listen. I don't care that they don't care.
It's the MSU way, man. We just destroy ourselves, every good thing we do, we torch it, and most of our fans are more worried about what they can get out of the deal than what's best for MSU.

Reactions: Maroon13

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
NIL is retarded and I’d rather buy my wife, kids, or myself something “xtra” than give one of these entitled, attention deprived drama queens who will transfer in a year to Bama if they are actually good one red cent of my hard earned money.

In the “old system” at least you knew your money went to something tangible like a fresh coat of paint if you gave to the AD or if you contributed to a collection plate, you’d have the kid for 4 years.
Sorry sir. This is an “unpopular opinion” thread…..not a “facts” thread.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
You need only not recall what he inherited to disregard him. If you had been on campus for the transition to Sherrill, you would be a huge fan. He not only gave the football program a much-needed boost and he marketed it well. It was a fun time. I was in line at the Hump waiting on tickets (let that sink in) when he showed up with donuts for us students who were there. As bad as we were when he left, it was better than when he entered.

I couldn't have been any more in the middle of it. In school during the last of RF and the start of Sherrill.

I love me some Sherrill. He's just not Top 5. Not with that ending and the level of competition.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Aesthetically speaking, the new one is hands down better….

however, in terms of functionality, the old dude was way better. I guarantee non season ticket holders go to way less games now than in the old dude. That is eventually going to impact fan engagement. Kids aren’t going to grow up going to as many games as I did as a kid.
I understand why people can think this, but have you been to any games recently? We're getting more people there on a regular basis than ever before. I think the whole GA seating thing was incredibly overblown.

If less kids are coming, which I don't think it's true, it's probably because we've got every weekend overscheduled with stupid shlt, not because they don't have a bleacher seat down the outfield lines and a creak in their neck.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login