Honestly, why is there such toxic negativity about our football season?

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I blame message board forums.
Thats Me Jason Sudeikis GIF by Saturday Night Live
I can promise it is not me. I do not do negativity. Desire is more my thing.

Reactions: Dawgg

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
"losing the Egg Bowl wouldn't really matter"

This is fvckin hilarious. You SERIOUSLY believe that if we had beaten what is about to be a pitiful 6-5 KY team after this coming Saturdays loss to GA, that "losing the Egg Bowl wouldn't really matter?" That's REALLY what you believe?
For me, yes. If it was LSU or Auburn finishing 9-3, no one would care.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
We were outgained 417-289 in the LSU game, outscored 31-3 in the last 32 minutes of the game, and lost by 15. Does that look competitive to you?
Perspective is important. In the fourth quarter, We were down one point, on the road, at night, against the SEC West champions.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
LSU saw a fumble inside the 10 and several dropped passes. Plus it's at LSU, so I won't beat Leach to death for that loss. But it was still a two loss team that got destroyed at home vs TN. Difference in LSU and us is they've improved, especially defensively, as the year has gone on.
The SEC west this season is as weak as it's been since Saban arrived. That's part of why the season has been disappointing to this point.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Who said we had to be? But we can be better than what we are currently. To me, the most negative people are those that don't believe in their school. Can't thing of anything more negative really. Win 8 most years, win 10 sometimes, win 7 sometimes. That's improvement.
How many times have MSU coaches won ten? I can think of two seasons in thirty years. To me this looks a lot like most of Mullen’s years. Decent defense and a spotty offense that sometimes looks brilliant and other times looks completely inept. Getting blown out by Bama and every other good conference team. The major difference is Ole Miss doesn’t suck right now. I don’t miss the 170lb running back going up the middle because Mullen trusts him not to fumble. That was excruciating to watch. I’d take Will Rogers over Tyler Russell any day too. This team could go toe-to-toe with half of Mullen’s teams.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Go tell our Starting center He should know better than to get hurt.

Go Tell Johnson who was injured in the UK that he sucks because he was injured.... AND STILL went out and tried with a surgery

Tell that to Marks who was injured prior to the game and banged up again during the game.

I'm sure they will agree with you.
Players get hurt. Fans use players getting hurt as excuses to push phony arguments.

Been going on forever.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Players get hurt. Fans use players getting hurt as excuses to push phony arguments.

Been going on forever.
excuses does not equal reality. Never has, never will. UGA can lose 8 starters on Defense to the NFL and still have the #1 defense in the USA ... The proof is from last year to this year. That is exactly what happened.

MSU can not lose starters in many positions and not feel a drop off! That is factual.

NotCadaver

Oct 17, 2022
By all accounts we are having a pretty good season. After Saturday, we will be 7-4 with three of our four losses against teams currently ranked in the top 10. It’s a typical MSU of the past 12 years type of season. Dan Mullen had this same type of season almost every year. But there is such relentless negativity on this board by many people that you’d think we were on our way to a 4-8 season or something. Why is that? I’m genuinely curious. Is it that some just hate Leach’s personality so much that anything short of a 10 win season is not good enough? Did you raise your expectations when he was hired? What is it?
We aren't passing the eye test.

when you beat nobody above .500, you at least need to be competitive in the losses and at least show signs of improvement. We don't.

All of our losses are by double digits. We aren't even close to pulling off a win versus an above .500 team.

Leach was brought in for his offense, yet Arnett's squad is our biggest positive since Leach arrived. Imagine how great our defensive numbers (and records) are if our Offense didn't go 3 quarters every game of nothing but 3 and outs.

Sometimes record doesn't tell the story...you have to trust your eyes. And we are a boring team that is slightly above average, and show no signs of improvement currently or in the future. We have our most veteran team in years and look about like Leach's first year offensively.

One would hope that the side of the ball your head coach is a supposed "guru" at, would be producing at this point. Ours isn't.

Our best win is 5-5 Arkansas at home, or 5-5 Memphis at home.

7 wins looks decent to outsiders, but those of us witnessing it know that our record hides the stink.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
We ain’t passing the eye test because 3 out of our 4 losses are to top ten teams #1 Georgia, LSU and Alabama on the road.

we aren’t Ohio state , look at this programs history.

the greatest coach in miss state history, Dan went

3-5,4-4,2-6,,4-4,3-5 In his first five years in the sec

cut the bull

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
MSU vs KY highlights

The crowd for the Vandy game was pitiful with an 11 AM kickoff and windy, wet, and COLD conditions. They had this game circled and had an electric atmosphere, AND we had critical injuries at Center and RB. You guys act like they laid down and we missed an EASY WIN.

If you're gonna be critical, at least talk about the difference between the actual games, not what they were like on paper

dannyripms

Sep 3, 2013
I don't people realize how important pope was. He is severly missed this year. But i agree we shouldn't even think of firing Leach. He will get us there and i know its frustrating watching this offense suck, but i truly believe Leach will do what it takes to get it done.

Reactions: Ibdancin

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Because Ole Miss is 8-2 and ranked 14, even though we'd also be 8-2 with their schedule. Ole Miss is so far up in most of our fans domes they can't enjoy life.
Yes we’d have the exact same record

however we beat Arkansas and they are going to get their @SS pounded on Saturday in fayetteville

patdog

May 28, 2007

when you beat nobody above .500, you at least need to be competitive in the losses and at least show signs of improvement. We don't.

All of our losses are by double digits. We aren't even close to pulling off a win versus an above .500 team.

Leach was brought in for his offense, yet Arnett's squad is our biggest positive since Leach arrived. Imagine how great our defensive numbers (and records) are if our Offense didn't go 3 quarters every game of nothing but 3 and outs.

Sometimes record doesn't tell the story...you have to trust your eyes. And we are a boring team that is slightly above average, and show no signs of improvement currently or in the future. We have our most veteran team in years and look about like Leach's first year offensively.

One would hope that the side of the ball your head coach is a supposed "guru" at, would be producing at this point. Ours isn't.

7 wins looks decent to outsiders, but those of us witnessing it know that our record hides the stink.
Exactly. Also, the Auburn game. Even though it was a win, it took a miracle late to eek out a win against a bad team with a QB that threw 1 good pass the entire game. It was really ugly. I guess some people think they’re watching good football this season & that’s great. I’m glad they’re happy. But I’m sorry, I just don’t see it.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
1. Leach in no way shape or form is engaging.

2. We don’t seem to have improved since Moorhead was here and Joe won 2 Egg Bowls…

3. We are very boring to watch

This . . . and I'll add one more:

4. Based upon Leach's demeanor, body language, etc., it appears that he is not really into winning football games. A coach that cares deeply about winning football games is not as "laid-back" as Leach during games, practices, press conferences, etc. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.

I don't really care what Ole Miss does . . . except when we play them.

NotCadaver

Oct 17, 2022
Exactly. Also, the Auburn game. Even though it was a win, it took a miracle late to eek out a win against a bad team with a QB that threw 1 good pass the entire game. It was really ugly. I guess some people think they’re watching good football this season & that’s great. I’m glad they’re happy. But I’m sorry, I just don’t see it.
I'm with you. And anybody that tries to compare us to Ole Miss by saying "we would have the same record", again isn't using their eyes. Acting like we are a comparable team just shows me that whoever is saying that isn't worth discussing this with, because they're either too biased or don't watch the games these two teams play. There's a reason Auburn is salivating over Kiffin and why Bama wishes he would hold off until Saban retires...and it's not bc he has a weak schedule.

And my opinions on Leach have zero to do with Ole Miss winning. I want to see us take the next step. State fans have become spoiled or whatever you want to call it with low tier bowls and 6-6/7-5 records. It shows in attendance, it shows in enthusiasm, and it's hitting us in the pocketbook as a program. We need a shot of energy in football, and 7-5 Leach with his boring offense and his boring personality and coaching style isn't cutting it. If you think we're having a good season, why are we so poor in attendance? Why aren't people excited? Ask yourself that, and maybe you'll realize you're in the minority if you think we're having a really good year.

Reactions: patdog

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
When you start critiques of “body language” you know there is some bull**** being tossed around

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
excuses does not equal reality. Never has, never will. UGA can lose 8 starters on Defense to the NFL and still have the #1 defense in the USA ... The proof is from last year to this year. That is exactly what happened.

MSU can not lose starters in many positions and not feel a drop off! That is factual.
Actually it is speculation. With emotion.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

Not at all ED guy.

Those 5-5 teams would have a winning record had we lost. But we won and won in a crushing way. Next, BGU has a winning record.

Leach isn't even remotely on the hot seat and is listed as safe.

The improvements are everywhere, it's just you don't want to see it.

- We lost Cross and woe was you! Yet the OL improved over all as evident by less sacks.
- We don't run it... WOE is ME!!! Yet we are averaging 2x more yards per game than year covid.
- We lost Polk and OH NO!!! what will we do.. We just keep moving along!

- NO excuses!! We shouldn't lose to memphis..etc. We don't, and in fact win against the the teams we are suppose to and do so by LARGE points, but that's not improvement over last year.

Now it's on to the next disingenuous thing to be upset about!

PS.. almost forgot!!!

- HE SUCKS.. JUST LOOK AT OUR RECRUITING..... as he signs 12 four stars last year.... and that's not ever been done that I have found at MSU!

Last edited:

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
And we did what needed to be done. Nobody is satisfied with the way, but it's actually another example of not caving when they should win!

NotCadaver

Oct 17, 2022
Not at all ED guy.

Those 5-5 teams would have a winning record had we lost. But we won and won in a crushing way. Next, BGU has a winning record.

Leach isn't even remotely on the hot seat and is listed as safe.

The improvements are everywhere, it's just you don't want to see it.

- We lost Cross and woe was you! Yet the OL improved over all as evident by less sacks.
- We don't run it... WOE is ME!!! Yet we are averaging 2x more yards per game than year covid.
- We lost Polk and OH NO!!! what will we do.. We just keep moving along!

- NO excuses!! We shouldn't lose to memphis..etc. We don't, and in fact win against the the teams we are suppose to and do so by LARGE points, but that's not improvement over last year.

Now it's on to the next disingenuous thing to be upset about!

PS.. almost forgot!!!

- HE SUCKS.. JUST LOOK AT OUR RECRUITING..... as he signs 12 four stars last year.... and that's not ever been done that I have found at MSU!
"Just keep moving along"? Towards what? Another lackluster 7-5 season where we beat nobody above .500, and a bowl game that nobody but our fans will likely give a **** about? Is that improvement?

12 four stars? Not sure where you got that from, unless you're counting guys that were 4 stars 2+ years ago and have been riding pine elsewhere and then transferred in. If we're recruiting lights out as you say, then how did we lose to Kentucky? How did we almost blow a home game versus a coachless Auburn? Your statements contradict each other. How did the most veteran team in the league + 12 four stars go 7-5? Is JoMo the coach, or Leach?

and I never said he was on the hot seat. I just don't see improvement. And a little more running doesn't equal improvement. Also, how exactly did we replace Polk? Our offense is a boring pot of stagnancy for 3 quarters each week.

If you and others think we're progressing and improving, great. We just must have different definitions. (And im sorry if at some point I offended you....I don't remember ever interacting with you, but your response seemed a little angry with your "ED guy" comment. Good burn.)

NotCadaver

Oct 17, 2022
And we did what needed to be done. Nobody is satisfied with the way, but it's actually another example of not caving when they should win!
Dude, we were up by what, 21, at home, against a Cadillac Williams coached AU team, and were fortunate to escape with an OT victory. You call that NOT caving? Interesting.

I mean, I'm glad we won, but caving is exactly what we did in that game. They just out-sucked us by a hair.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
"Just keep moving along"? Towards what? Another lackluster 7-5 season where we beat nobody above .500, and a bowl game that nobody but our fans will likely give a **** about? Is that improvement?

12 four stars? Not sure where you got that from, unless you're counting guys that were 4 stars 2+ years ago and have been riding pine elsewhere and then transferred in. If we're recruiting lights out as you say, then how did we lose to Kentucky? How did we almost blow a home game versus a coachless Auburn? Your statements contradict each other. How did the most veteran team in the league + 12 four stars go 7-5? Is JoMo the coach, or Leach?

and I never said he was on the hot seat. I just don't see improvement. And a little more running doesn't equal improvement. Also, how exactly did we replace Polk? Our offense is a boring pot of stagnancy for 3 quarters each week.

If you and others think we're progressing and improving, great. We just must have different definitions. (And im sorry if at some point I offended you....I don't remember ever interacting with you, but your response seemed a little angry with your "ED guy" comment. Good burn.)

I do count beat teams that we should by a lot as improvement because we did not last year.

Yes, 12 four stars. Their names are:

HS/Juco- Williams, Dortch, Locke, Clayton, Lewis, Thomas.
Portal- Morant, Washington, Robinson, Mathews, Banks.

That's 12, and I am 100% certain you will find a way to turn that in to a negative because that's what ED peeps do! OH WAIT.. You already have turned it into a negative.

By your "logic" TAMU should be winning the Championship today. The most expensive class in history.

It's not a little more running, It's 2xs the production. Nice try though.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Dude, we were up by what, 21, at home, against a Cadillac Williams coached AU team, and were fortunate to escape with an OT victory. You call that NOT caving? Interesting.

I mean, I'm glad we won, but caving is exactly what we did in that game. They just out-sucked us by a hair.

No, Caving would have resulted in a loss.

Just like those teams you want to jump and and down and demand we not count them because the teams are 5-5. That's laughable. Taking a step forward means winning those games and we did. By alot. and had we not won they would have winning records and you would have a point.... BUT we won.. your point is moot.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016

A&M was competitive with Alabama. Do you think they are better than State right now? State is a big part of why some of those teams have a losing record. Because our team and program is better than theirs this year. Kentucky was a bad loss but it’s probably the only one though, regardless of the gambling odds at the time. LSU is much better than Mississippi State at almost every level, and so are Bama and UGA.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Call me crazy, but I think the fan base misses the toxicity and utter hatred that Merlinz brought against TSUN. Both Moorhead and Leach just treat the egg as another game while the rest of us view it as the battle of the bastards episode of GoT.
And it is nice to see the Ole Miss posers coming on our board trying to make a bigger deal out of the Egg Bowl. Their ilk love stirring the pot over here and have even developed a small State following which is just sad.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
A&M was competitive with Alabama. Do you think they are better than State right now? State is a big part of why some of those teams have a losing record. Because our team and program is better than theirs this year. Kentucky was a bad loss but it’s probably the only one though, regardless of the gambling odds at the time. LSU is much better than Mississippi State at almost every level, and so are Bama and UGA.
A less than .500 team in the SEC West can beat 80% of the schools outside the SEC West. When you play in the best division of the best conference in the land you are going to take some losses. Just ask Alabama this year. Of course, those that are hating on our program disregard these facts and just want to run our program into the ground and cast doubt on the direction of the program. Alabama, UGA and LSU all have composite top 5 talent. OK, we lost to UK but we were playing an equally (slightly better composite talented team) at their place. So they can complain about that one game! I really wonder how many of them are closet Rebels posting as Dawgs?

Reactions: wdawg44

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
How many times have MSU coaches won ten? I can think of two seasons in thirty years. To me this looks a lot like most of Mullen’s years. Decent defense and a spotty offense that sometimes looks brilliant and other times looks completely inept. Getting blown out by Bama and every other good conference team. The major difference is Ole Miss doesn’t suck right now. I don’t miss the 170lb running back going up the middle because Mullen trusts him not to fumble. That was excruciating to watch. I’d take Will Rogers over Tyler Russell any day too. This team could go toe-to-toe with half of Mullen’s teams.
3. McKeen did it once I think.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
And it is nice to see the Ole Miss posers coming on our board trying to make a bigger deal out of the Egg Bowl. Their ilk love stirring the pot over here and have even developed a small State following which is just sad.
Make a bigger deal out of the Egg Bowl? In case you missed it Ole Miss people play it down. We aren't their real rival you know. The Egg Bowl IS a big deal to 99% of MSU people because we don't try to deny they are our real rival. They are and always will be. Losing to Ole Miss three years in a row almost always gets you fired here, and it should. It hasn't happened in quite a while now, but it's about to. I looked at the record books a couple of days ago. It looked like to me that Wade Walker was the only one to survive it, and he eventually was fired after losing 5 straight to them. Losing to them doesn't get you fired, losing to them every time does.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Make a bigger deal out of the Egg Bowl? In case you missed it Ole Miss people play it down. We aren't their real rival you know. The Egg Bowl IS a big deal to 99% of MSU people because we don't try to deny they are our real rival. They are and always will be. Losing to Ole Miss three years in a row almost always gets you fired here, and it should. It hasn't happened in quite a while now, but it's about to. I looked at the record books a couple of days ago. It looked like to me that Wade Walker was the only one to survive it, and he eventually was fired after losing 5 straight to them. Losing to them doesn't get you fired, losing to them every time does.
Ole Miss posers I said in case you misread my post. Yes, they try to play it down and say LSU is their real rival but we all know the truth. One year after we lost an Egg Bowl game to Ole Miss I ran into one of their fans at the post office. He had on his Ole Miss garb and saw mine and said, "We whopped that Dawgs *** this year." They weren't going to a bowl but we were so I said, "I hope y'all enjoyed your bowl game." He said, "17 you!" Yea, it don't mean much to them does it?

jb1020

Jun 7, 2009
By all accounts we are having a pretty good season. After Saturday, we will be 7-4 with three of our four losses against teams currently ranked in the top 10. It’s a typical MSU of the past 12 years type of season. Dan Mullen had this same type of season almost every year. But there is such relentless negativity on this board by many people that you’d think we were on our way to a 4-8 season or something. Why is that? I’m genuinely curious. Is it that some just hate Leach’s personality so much that anything short of a 10 win season is not good enough? Did you raise your expectations when he was hired? What is it?
Because it honesty feels like 8 wins is our ceiling now, and we should be better.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

It's the fact that Ole Miss is better than us, and for quite a few here there is no logic applied after that.

Case closed.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
It's the fact that Ole Miss is better than us, and for quite a few here there is no logic applied after that.

Case closed.
Because so many old State fans cling to sucking. They've accepted it. They have no hope beyond "this is our history". They apply no logic beyond that. When's baseball season start?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
A less than .500 team in the SEC West can beat 80% of the schools outside the SEC West. When you play in the best division of the best conference in the land you are going to take some losses. Just ask Alabama this year. Of course, those that are hating on our program disregard these facts and just want to run our program into the ground and cast doubt on the direction of the program. Alabama, UGA and LSU all have composite top 5 talent. OK, we lost to UK but we were playing an equally (slightly better composite talented team) at their place. So they can complain about that one game! I really wonder how many of them are closet Rebels posting as Dawgs?
Arkansas lost to Liberty. They're the only .500 team in the west.

Reactions: BigDawg0074
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login