Honestly, why is there such toxic negativity about our football season?

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
What’s funny is, if you look at next years much more reasonable schedule, leach will win 8 in his sleep.

then the braying jackasses will start screeching why didn’t we win the sec west and blah blah blah

same people who don’t give a nickel to NIL

We'll easily win 8 games next football season, eh?

Time will tell . . .

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
By all accounts we are having a pretty good season. After Saturday, we will be 7-4 with three of our four losses against teams currently ranked in the top 10. It’s a typical MSU of the past 12 years type of season. Dan Mullen had this same type of season almost every year. But there is such relentless negativity on this board by many people that you’d think we were on our way to a 4-8 season or something. Why is that? I’m genuinely curious. Is it that some just hate Leach’s personality so much that anything short of a 10 win season is not good enough? Did you raise your expectations when he was hired? What is it?
Because we hired Leach for an explosive offense and our offense is boring

LimaoCabeca

Nov 17, 2022
By all accounts we are having a pretty good season. After Saturday, we will be 7-4 with three of our four losses against teams currently ranked in the top 10. It’s a typical MSU of the past 12 years type of season. Dan Mullen had this same type of season almost every year. But there is such relentless negativity on this board by many people that you’d think we were on our way to a 4-8 season or something. Why is that? I’m genuinely curious. Is it that some just hate Leach’s personality so much that anything short of a 10 win season is not good enough? Did you raise your expectations when he was hired? What is it?
I also think that the 2018 season has left scars on the mind of the fan base. The underachieving and the loss to Mullen really hurt.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Because we hired Leach for an explosive offense and our offense is boring
Was it due to an explosive offense or was it due to an effective offense that nobody sees and is harder to prep for?

Boring. that's an interesting choice of words. So it's really not about winning. It's now if it's entertaining.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Was it due to an explosive offense or was it due to an effective offense that nobody sees and is harder to prep for?

Boring. that's an interesting choice of words. So it's really not about winning. It's now if it's entertaining.
Correct. Because at the end of the day, the golden days of an occasional 9-10 win season seemingly left when Mullen did.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It's been 2. Anybody counting the covid year is not living in reality. Nothing more than an extended summer practice.
If you’re not counting the Covid year, then how are you also claiming steady improvement?

Offense: 441 yds/gm in ‘21 to 396 yds/gm in ‘22

Defense: 331 yds/gm in ‘21 to 371 yds/gm in ‘22

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
It's been 2. Anybody counting the covid year is not living in reality. Nothing more than a extended summer practice.
Did he get paid in the Covid year? I bet it was real to the person signing the checks.

But lets just play your silly little excuse game. If the COVID year didn’t count, how in the Sam Hill did Kiffin get Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl his first year?

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I thought it was a mistake when we hired him and nothing has changed my mind. His simple boring offense is never going to compete with the upper level SEC teams. Never. The problem is that I am sure he sees that by now, but will not put in the effort to modify his scheme to try and make it more competitive. In any job paying $5M a year you would expect maximum effort 24/7/365 yet what we get is a guy seemingly more focused on being seen as quirky and saying goofy and funny stuff. Also, I get the impression that he can’t wait for the season to be over so that he can get back to South Florida. I just don’t think he cares whether he wins or not and is just milking us on the way to retirement. I guarantee you that coaches like Nick Sabin and Kirby Smart work circles around Leach. The next guy may not do any better but at least get someone that is focused and passionate about trying to be successful.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Correct. Because at the end of the day, the golden days of an occasional 9-10 win season seemingly left when Mullen did.
”The occasional ten win season” is a myth. It would be nice but it is not in fact our history. You are holding Leach to a standard that simply does not exist except in your own mind. If you want that to be the standard fine, but it is not something that already exists.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
”The occasional ten win season” is a myth. It would be nice but it is not in fact our history. You are holding Leach to a standard that simply does not exist except in your own mind. If you want that to be the standard fine, but it is not something that already exists.
Didn’t Mullen have a 10 win season? Jackie?

Reactions: patdog

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Didn’t Mullen have a 10 win season? Jackie?
A ten win season. One each. Two out of twenty years isn’t occasional, it’s a fluke. Mullen occasionally broke even on a conference record. He occasionally didn’t look exactly like Leach’s tenure. The rest of the time he won eight or nine and got the blew the 17 out by every good team on the schedule. That’s who State really is so spare me the rest of the rose colored memories you people like to banter about. If you want to raise the supposed standard that’s fine but that would include being better than Mullen ever was.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
A ten win season. One each. Two out of twenty years isn’t occasional, it’s a fluke. Mullen occasionally broke even on a conference record. He occasionally didn’t look exactly like Leach’s tenure. The rest of the time he won eight or nine and got the blew the 17 out by every good team on the schedule. That’s who State really is so spare me the rest of the rose colored memories you people like to banter about. If you want to raise the supposed standard that’s fine but that would include being better than Mullen ever was.
Looking forward to your Mullen-like disdain for Leach in a couple of years.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Looking forward to your Mullen-like disdain for Leach in a couple of years.
I don’t disdain Mullen but I can be honest about what he achieved, which is a losing conference record and a nice bowl streak. That’s it. Career wise he hasn’t achieved any more than Leach has and he isn’t even a coach anymore.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
I don’t disdain Mullen but I can be honest about what he achieved, which is a losing conference record and a nice bowl streak. That’s it. Career wise he hasn’t achieved any more than Leach has and he isn’t even a coach anymore.
Like I said, you’ll feel the same way about Leach when he isn’t a coach any more. “Fans” like you always do.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Like I said, you’ll feel the same way about Leach when he isn’t a coach any more. “Fans” like you always do.

Listen Up Reaction GIF by Laff

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
What’s funny is, if you look at next years much more reasonable schedule, leach will win 8 in his sleep.

then the braying jackasses will start screeching why didn’t we win the sec west and blah blah blah

same people who don’t give a nickel to NIL
We lose our 4 best defensive players and have recruited poorly. Defense goes backwards next year and offense is pretty much the same crap, depending on who leaves/transfers.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
We lose our 4 best defensive players and have recruited poorly. Defense goes backwards next year and offense is pretty much the same crap, depending on who leaves/transfers.
Do we lose them? LOL! I remeber your crew saying our OL would be trash this year too because of the loss of Cross. Turns out... you were ... well... WRONG!

Again.

Just like with Recruiting. 12 four stars last year! LOL!

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Your not even making sense my friend. I don’t “feel” anything about Leach, Mullen, or any other Mississippi State coach. What we’re talking about here is records and achievements. It sounds like feelings is all you have left to stand on for Mullen. Maybe Leach somehow hurts your feelings while Mullen made you feel all warm and fuzzy.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Your not even making sense my friend. I don’t “feel” anything about Leach, Mullen, or any other Mississippi State coach. What we’re talking about here is records and achievements. It sounds like feelings is all you have left to stand on for Mullen. Maybe Leach somehow hurts your feelings while Mullen made you feel all warm and fuzzy.
I’m not making any sense to you because we play chess on this board.

I will always appreciate a coach who took MSU to #1.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I will always appreciate a coach who took MSU to #1.
And I will always remember that team getting their tails whipped by Ole Miss and GA Tech. That number one ranking was no more valuable than UK, TAMU, and Arky being in the top ten this year.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
And I will always remember that team getting their tails whipped by Ole Miss and GA Tech. That number one ranking was no more valuable than UK, TAMU, and Arky being in the top ten this year.
Tell that to the people that made that trip to Miami for a New Years Six bowl game. That was a dream come true for a lot of MSU fans.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Tell that to the people that made that trip to Miami for a New Years Six bowl game. That was a dream come true for a lot of MSU fans.
I’m sure they had fun until the game started. Maybe one year Leach will be lucky enough to face an SEC where every team besides Bama and Ole Miss sucks, you never know. Then maybe your fee fees will be satisfied and the program will once again reach the promised land. Or maybe we fire every coach with less than 8 wins until we get just the right fit.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
I’m sure they had fun until the game started. Maybe one year Leach will be lucky enough to face an SEC where every team besides Bama and Ole Miss sucks, you never know. Then maybe your fee fees will be satisfied and the program will once again reach the promised land. Or maybe we fire every coach with less than 8 wins until we get just the right fit.
We got it right with Mullen. We will get it right again.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
If you’re not counting the Covid year, then how are you also claiming steady improvement?

Offense: 441 yds/gm in ‘21 to 396 yds/gm in ‘22

Defense: 331 yds/gm in ‘21 to 371 yds/gm in ‘22

Eye test**

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
I thought it was a mistake when we hired him and nothing has changed my mind. His simple boring offense is never going to compete with the upper level SEC teams. Never. The problem is that I am sure he sees that by now, but will not put in the effort to modify his scheme to try and make it more competitive. In any job paying $5M a year you would expect maximum effort 24/7/365 yet what we get is a guy seemingly more focused on being seen as quirky and saying goofy and funny stuff. Also, I get the impression that he can’t wait for the season to be over so that he can get back to South Florida. I just don’t think he cares whether he wins or not and is just milking us on the way to retirement. I guarantee you that coaches like Nick Sabin and Kirby Smart work circles around Leach. The next guy may not do any better but at least get someone that is focused and passionate about trying to be successful.
The guy focused and passionate about winning was Moorehead. That didn’t work out too great.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
We got it right with Mullen. We will get it right again.
I won’t argue with you on that. Mullen elevated the program from the depths of Croom. He didn’t go as high as Jackie but he did well. I think Leach could reach just as high with the right support, a new level support fit for the new era of college football.

Give Leach a pro QB and see what that Air Raid looks like then. They are serviceable in most other positions right now and have a far better receiver corps than Dak had.
Unless you think the new AD is going to drop 7.5 million on a new coach then I don’t think there is a high chance of upgrading amidst the bidding war going on with the number of rich programs in the hunt for a new coach this year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login