Hosting Picture

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I would add Arizona as a possible threat as well. 26 in the RPI but they currently lead the PAC 12 and have a huge series against Oregon State this weekend. If Arizona wins the series, it’s possible there are two Pac 12 hosts.
Agree totally.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I think 4-0 + a win in Hoover would just about clinch it. 4-0 without that win is probably better than 50-50. Key is keeping RPI in top 20. Hard to see an 18-win SEC team in the top 20 not hosting.
Agree. 4-0 would take some real odd things to happen to miss hosting. 4-0 plus 1 in Hoover seals it without question

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think the ACC teams you mentioned can move ahead of us potentially and it wouldn’t take anything too crazy. I think SC’s path to leap frogging us now is incredibly difficult.
ACC teams are somewhat bound by geography though. They aren’t giving 5 host sites just to the state of North Carolina, or 7 host sites (almost half of them) to the Carolinas as a whole. That puts Duke, NCSU, East Carolina, and South Carolina all on notice. They along with Wake are 5 teams all competing with each other for probably, at most, 2-3 spots to go along with UNC and Clemson.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Agree totally.

ACC teams are somewhat bound by geography though. They aren’t giving 5 host sites just to the state of North Carolina, or 7 host sites (almost half of them) to the Carolinas as a whole. That puts Duke, NCSU, East Carolina, and South Carolina all on notice. They along with Wake are 5 teams all competing with each other for probably, at most, 2-3 spots to go along with UNC and Clemson.
Committees showed last season that geography didn’t matter….14 sites when to the rpi top 16, the others were 17 and 19.

the Carolinas got 4 host sites last year btw, South Carolina got 3.

they also had no problem giving south east 10 of the 16 seeds.

also no team with an rpi inside the top 10 has never not hosted. Wake is currrnyl 9, they are hosting. Alabama is currently 11.

Last edited:

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I think the old geographic criteria for host selection isn’t really used anymore. There have been years with zero host sites on the West coast, for example.

UNC, Clemson, and Wake are probably hosting. ECU will host if they stop losing to bad teams. Duke and NC State still very much have pathways too.

Reactions: HuntDawg

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Interesting scenario:
-State sweep
-Arkansas sweep (A&M is playing bad right now)
-Florida wins at least one in Athens (not crazy)

We would finish 4th in the SEC and get a bye to the double elimination round in Hoover.

I think the least likely of the three is A&M getting swept.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Interesting scenario:
-State sweep
-Arkansas sweep (A&M is playing bad right now)
-Florida wins at least one in Athens (not crazy)

We would finish 4th in the SEC and get a bye to the double elimination round in Hoover.

I think the least likely of the three is A&M getting swept.
With as bad as A&M has looked lately, I wouldn't put it past them to get swept this weekend.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think the old geographic criteria for host selection isn’t really used anymore. There have been years with zero host sites on the West coast, for example.

UNC, Clemson, and Wake are probably hosting. ECU will host if they stop losing to bad teams. Duke and NC State still very much have pathways too.
I’m simply saying that too many of those teams are on the fringe. There’s not going to be room for ALL of them to host….too much mutual exclusivity there. NCAA will always award sites to deserving teams, but borderline teams from areas that already have a high density of sites are going to be more closely scrutinized.

So the proper lens to view it is there are these 6-7 teams in the Carolinas. Probably 4 will host, 5 max, with only Clemson and UNC assured of hosting. They can’t ALL host. Wake, ECU, Duke, NCSU, and South Carolina are all competing for 2-3 spots. Right now - Wake and ECU are on right side of the bubble. The other 3 are on the wrong side. That could shuffle in the final week.

Last edited:

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Did y'all see Arkansas last weekend? They didn't look all that great either. A&M will win 2.
Arkansas is very good. They’ve gotta get their Saturday and Sunday starters right, they’ve struggled of late. But Smith is electric and they have probably the best bullpen in the country this year.

That said, I still think A&M is really good too and would probably favor them in College Station.

Reactions: patdog

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I’m simply saying that too many of those teams are on the fringe. There’s not going to be room for ALL of them to host….too much mutual exclusivity there. NCAA will always award sites to deserving teams, but borderline teams from areas that already have a high density of sites are going to be more closely scrutinized.

So the proper lens to view it is there are these 6-7 teams in the Carolinas. Probably 4 will host, 5 max, with only Clemson and UNC assured of hosting. They can’t ALL host. Wake, ECU, Duke, NCSU, and South Carolina are all competing for 2-3 spots. Right now - Wake and ECU are on right side of the bubble. The other 3 are on the wrong side. That could shuffle in the final week.
SC is cooked barring a shocking series win in Knoxville.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Arkansas is very good. They’ve gotta get their Saturday and Sunday starters right, they’ve struggled of late. But Smith is electric and they have probably the best bullpen in the country this year.

That said, I still think A&M is really good too and would probably favor them in College Station.
Agree. Arkansas didn't have a good pitching weekend last weekend though. I was very surprised at the number of free passes they gave us, and how quickly we were able to get their top starters out of the game.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
A lot of you guys are forgetting we play a bad North Alabama team tonight and a hapless MO team for three games this weekend. Both opponents have not a care in the world.

ARE YOU REALLY THAT CONFIDENT?

Hello! BASEBALL -- as in THAT'S!

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The best teams will host. The committee had no issues giving auburn a host spot last season in a crowded area.

location isn’t going to be scrutinized. And hasn’t been in years. If 6 teams from the Carolina’s deserve to host. They’ll host. Now saying they’ll get 6 is a totally different story. But they all have avenues still there, with South Carolina the longest of shots

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The best teams will host. The committee had no issues giving auburn a host spot last season in a crowded area.

location isn’t going to be scrutinized. And hasn’t been in years. If 6 teams from the Carolina’s deserve to host. They’ll host. Now saying they’ll get 6 is a totally different story. But they all have avenues still there, with South Carolina the longest of shots
The problem is there really can’t be that many. Its a hell of a long shot. Shít….Wake and NC State play each other this weekend. Wake wins series, NC State is out. NC State sweeps, Wake is probably out. NC State only takes 2 of 3 at home, they’d still only be 31-20, 17-12 in ACC. Wake would be 37-18, 16-14 ACC. That might knock BOTH out. Barring rainouts, I don’t see any scenario where at least one of those two is not out of the picture after this weekend.

Then you have Duke who has a hell of a tough end with UNC and a tough midweek against Charleston. Already only #22 in RPI and rough weekend last week. They need 3 of those 4 just to have a chance.

USC has to sweep Tennessee….in Knoxville. 2 of 3 won’t be good enough.

As an MSU fan, I’m not worried about any of those teams if we TCB this week. No point. We’re in position to take whats ours, if we want it.