I’ll ask this again

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
I saw the poll that here that over 55% of us think Lemonis should be gone at the conclusion of the season.

Who are legitimate replacements?
Butch Thompson is obviously one. I’ll throw in one more. Godwin at ECU.

Anyone else?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I can't believe this is happening to our coach who got us the Natty. Sad. Sure wished things had gone well for Lemonis but it appears he just doesn't know how to keep grinding / crootin' every year getting new quality players into the lineup. And now it also appears he's prolly not a good coach because I don't believe our talent sucks to the degree our record does.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I can't believe this is happening to our coach who got us the Natty. Sad. Sure wished things had gone well for Lemonis but it appears he just doesn't know how to keep grinding / crootin' every year getting new quality players into the lineup. And now it also appears he's prolly not a good coach because I don't believe our talent sucks to the degree our record does.
I don’t know, we have a good many players starting or have started that probably wouldn’t even make other SEC Rosters. Highfill, Chance, Hujsack, Downs, Hunt, Mershon, Forsythe, Hoyle, Tapper, Cheatham, Auger , etc

Last edited:

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I saw the poll that here that over 55% of us think Lemonis should be gone at the conclusion of the season.

Who are legitimate replacements?
Butch Thompson is obviously one. I’ll throw in one more. Godwin at ECU.

Anyone else?
If our program is going to return to being "elite," it must act elite. The administration must pursue solid names with a mission of winning and the proven track record of doing so (e.g. Link Jarrett, Josh Holliday).

If the administration is not willing to do this, then the next best alternative is go to church every Sunday, keep feeding the collection plate, and praying for miracles.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
If our program is going to return to being "elite," it must act elite. The administration must pursue solid names with a mission of winning and the proven track record of doing so (e.g. Link Jarrett, Josh Holliday).

If the administration is not willing to do this, then the next best alternative is go to church every Sunday, keep feeding the collection plate, and praying for miracles.
You think cohen didn’t pursue solid names? You think he just said F it. We’ll go get this Lemonis guy?

Last edited:

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
You think didn’t pursue solid names? You think he just said F it. We’ll go get this Lemonis guy?
I'm not clear on what your reply intends to imply. It is not a referendum on Lemonis. It's a plan toward rebuilding what has been lost.

Reactions: $altyDawg

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I'm not clear on what your reply intends to imply. It is not a referendum on Lemonis. It's a plan toward rebuilding what has been lost.
You COHEN think didn’t pursue solid names? You think he just said F it. We’ll go get this Lemonis guy?
It was supposed to say COHEN. The point is we might not be able to go hire anyone we want.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Yeah 2 regionals as a head coach is what we should look for
You left out the fact that Burroughs took them to those 2 last year and the year before...that in just his 5th & 6th year. He took over a **** program and turned them into consistent winners.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
It was supposed to say COHEN. The point is we might not be able to go hire anyone we want.
Well, unless it's a constraint that is far beyond its control (e.g. economics), I would argue that the administration isn't too serious about winning if it cannot make it happen.

BB30

Feb 10, 2023
Don't sleep on Burroughs the guy is a good coach and recruiter and knows the area very well.

he's built a pretty consistent program. Know he's not a "big name" hire but he's a good baseball coach and a solid recruiter.
I wouldn't be upset with him at all. Another guy I'd take a look at that's a "no name" is Matt Riser at southeastern louisiana. He's done a pretty solid job during his time there.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We can and should do so much better
Tunnel vision. You speak of the regionals, a poster corrects you, you go straight to this general statement that cannot be backed up.

Burroughs would be a great coach here, he's similar to Cohen, which is what we need. People act like Cohen wasn't an elite coach because he didn't win a title, and he was. We finished 2nd in 2013 to the hottest team in the country who took the most advantage of the dead bat era from 2011-2014. To me, when you're talking about judging potential of a coach, that tough/grinder approach that Cohen/Burroughs bring is no worse than the management of Lemonis, who actually did win a title.

I think it's obvious we should not go out and get another Lemonis. And for the record, that's EXACTLY what Sexterzzaro was too. A recruiter. Everybody acts like he was so awesome because he brought in Allen, which was great, but it's one thing. He also rode Rooker.

Hell Henderson's mentality was a lot like Cohen and Burroughs too. And you see what he did. Wasn't great during the season but eventually found that elixir.

All that said, if you can go out and find a better and tougher coach than Burroughs, fine. But that is a tall task.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Well, unless it's a constraint that is far beyond its control (e.g. economics), I would argue that the administration isn't too serious about winning if it cannot make it happen.
Yep, if we can’t go hire anyone we want, we aren’t serious about winning. It’s science.

eta this is sarcasm bc obviously some of you didn’t get it.

Last edited:

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018

This is 100% correct. Don't talk about winning if you're not willing to make the sacrifices and do what it takes to maintain excellence. Watch what happens should Saban ever retire. Bama won't end up with some run of the mill 4th option because the 1st 3 options turned them down. And they damn sure won't put up with a disastrous season the year after he retires, let alone 2 disastrous seasons!

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
This is 100% correct. Don't talk about winning if you're not willing to make the sacrifices and do what it takes to maintain excellence. Watch what happens should Saban ever retire. Bama won't end up with some run of the mill 4th option because the 1st 3 options turned them down. And they damn sure won't put up with a disastrous season the year after he retires, let alone 2 disastrous seasons!
This. Well said.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Might better revise that take, buddy. Bear Bryant retires, they go 8-4 and 5-6. History is not on your side.

They also went through 2 coaches before they got Stallings to miraculously win them another title. Then 3 more until they got Saban.

History and odds are on Bama making a much worse hire than Saban. Then adding the fact that nobody wants to follow up Saban. And you say they pay a lot? Everybody does now.

Bad take.

Reactions: dorndawg and Fang1

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
Might better revise that take, buddy. Bear Bryant retires, they go 8-4 and 5-6. History is not on your side.

They also went through 2 coaches before they got Stallings to miraculously win them another title. Then 3 more until they got Saban.

History and odds are on Bama making a much worse hire than Saban. Then adding the fact that nobody wants to follow up Saban. And you say they pay a lot? Everybody does now.

Bad take.
I am aware of the chronology between Bryant and Saban, but I also realize that Bama got sick of it and did what they had to do to get who they thought would bring them back up to the elite level. Programs like Bama football, Kentucky basketball, and other blue bloods don't end up with roody poos, at least not in this day and time. I agree with all the things you said that occurred between Bryant and Saban, but I think now is a much different time than it was back then. I know everybody pays a lot now, but watch the insane amount that Bama offers their next football coach. It will be astounding.
I'm interested to know your take on what we should do about Lemonis.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Tunnel vision. You speak of the regionals, a poster corrects you, you go straight to this general statement that cannot be backed up.

Burroughs would be a great coach here, he's similar to Cohen, which is what we need. People act like Cohen wasn't an elite coach because he didn't win a title, and he was. We finished 2nd in 2013 to the hottest team in the country who took the most advantage of the dead bat era from 2011-2014. To me, when you're talking about judging potential of a coach, that tough/grinder approach that Cohen/Burroughs bring is no worse than the management of Lemonis, who actually did win a title.

I think it's obvious we should not go out and get another Lemonis. And for the record, that's EXACTLY what Sexterzzaro was too. A recruiter. Everybody acts like he was so awesome because he brought in Allen, which was great, but it's one thing. He also rode Rooker.

Hell Henderson's mentality was a lot like Cohen and Burroughs too. And you see what he did. Wasn't great during the season but eventually found that elixir.

All that said, if you can go out and find a better and tougher coach than Burroughs, fine. But that is a tall task.
I agree that Burroughs is a lot like Cohen and that’s what we needed in 2008. 4 trips to Omaha and the best facilities in the country later we don’t need a guy who grinds it out to get to regionals.

patdog

May 28, 2007
but I also realize that Bama got sick of it and did what they had to do to get who they thought would bring them back up to the elite level.
What? Do you think Bama somehow wasn't trying for 25 years? What happened is they got lucky with one of the best hires in college football history. A hire they wouldn't have even made if Rich Rodriguez hadn't backed out of accepting the job first.

Reactions: paindonthurt

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What? Do you think Bama somehow wasn't trying for 25 years? What happened is they got lucky with one of the best hires in college football history. A hire they wouldn't have even made if Rich Rodriguez hadn't backed out of accepting the job first.
Yeah, kinda of silly. @$altyDawg kinda glossed right over the point about them being bad 2 years after firing their legendary coach, but not firing him. And then not really getting 'back' for a decade. Not much you can do to make people understand, they either can see the long game or they can't.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I agree that Burroughs is a lot like Cohen and that’s what we needed in 2008. 4 trips to Omaha and the best facilities in the country later we don’t need a guy who grinds it out to get to regionals.
He won't do that at MSU most likely. We are a better program than La Tech and can afford him more advantages, the same way we did Cohen vs. what he had at Kentucky.

This is of course assuming he is successful, which is a risk you take with every coach.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
He won't do that at MSU most likely. We are a better program than La Tech and can afford him more advantages, the same way we did Cohen vs. what he had at Kentucky.

This is of course assuming he is successful, which is a risk you take with every coach.
That is true but look at our division. Every coach has been to Omaha besides Bohanon who is probably on his way out. We have to hire a big time coach if we’re the program our fans think we are. We can hire Burroughs because he’s a grinder and knows Mississippi but if that’s our criteria we can enjoy our 1 trip to Omaha every 5 years

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That is true but look at our division. Every coach has been to Omaha besides Bohanon who is probably on his way out. We have to hire a big time coach if we’re the program our fans think we are. We can hire Burroughs because he’s a grinder and knows Mississippi but if that’s our criteria we can enjoy our 1 trip to Omaha every 5 years
I see where you're coming from but I don't agree with that reasoning. I tell you what, can you point out 4-5 of these type coaches that you would realistically target?

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I see where you're coming from but I don't agree with that reasoning. I tell you what, can you point out 4-5 of these type coaches that you would realistically target?
Tadlock, Butch, Godwin, O’Connor, O’Sullivan are all guys I’d go after before Burroughs. Are they realistic? Probably not but that’s who we should be going for before we get to the mid major guys

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Tadlock, Butch, Godwin, O’Connor, O’Sullivan are all guys I’d go after before Burroughs. Are they realistic? Probably not but that’s who we should be going for before we get to the mid major guys
Come on man. None of those realistic except Godwin and guess what, he's a mid-major.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I know nothing about any of this, but why would Butch not come?

MSU is to College Baseball as ND is the College Football, The Cowboys are to the NFL, Lakers are to the NBA and Yankees are the MLB. We don't have the tittles those do, but there were we stand in the lineage of College Baseball over the past decade.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Come on man. None of those realistic except Godwin and guess what, he's a mid-major.
Still need to kick the tires on them. If our athletic department does their due diligence and finds that Burroughs is the best man for the job I’ll be happy and support him. I just don’t want us to shoe him in for being a State guy

rankindog86

Aug 22, 2012
If we have the opportunity to get Godwin, that's who I would call first.

If not and we have to go the assistant coach route, I would call:
Scott Brown - Associate HC/PC at Vandy
Nate Thompson - Associate HC/Hitting Coach/Recruiting Coordinator at Arkansas

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
O’Sullivan

no man GIF

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login