I just bought another 20ozt of Silver

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
And what were US Dollars backed by in those days??

Or simply made out of in the case of coinage?

Same thing it is backed by today….the full faith and credit of the US Government. Who even then when they were “backing” it with silver more or less set what the conversion rate was.

If you want to stock up in precious metals, be my guest. Not much downside (or upside) risk, so its going to generally keep some form of value. But I don’t think the potential possibility of some Mad Max society taking root is a good reason to do it. If you are a person who is convinced that is a possibility in your lifetime, you’re much better served to just liquidate your 401k, all your accounts, and selling all your property, and starting over in Costa Rica or something. And if you’re not one of those people, you are paying a tremendous opportunity cost vs. what you’d get in the stock market, real estate, bonds, etc. with the same money.

Reactions: patdog

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Why is it a constant assumption here that having precious metals means you can't have guns and know how to use them??
At no point did I assume that. I pretty much assume you aren’t allowed to be a state fan if you don’t know how to use a gun

Reactions: turkish

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Never know when you might face a lycan.
Sarcastic Yeah Right GIF by Bounce

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Direct question- do you wish the US were still on the gold standard?

If you do wish that, how do you address all the well known downfalls and limitations of such a monetary policy?

I don't know honestly. The country grew into a world power with a gold standard.

It's been 50 years since Nixon took us off the standard "temporarily". We've been existing and growing with a free floating fiat currency market ever since. I don't see how governments with no spending controls can possibly end in anything other than rampant inflation and many problems, but we'll definitely find out.

We've been the big dollar on the block so long we don't really know how this could go if that changes.

And it will. Just don't know when.

In the meantime, I find it prudent to own many asset classes.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Did the rest of that post seem at all exaggerative??**

This is a thread where precious metals are being pushed, the collapse of civilization is being discussed, and the gold standard referenced as ideal.

Point is, your post did not seem exaggerated within the context of what's been discussed.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Same thing it is backed by today….the full faith and credit of the US Government. Who even then when they were “backing” it with silver more or less set what the conversion rate was.

If you want to stock up in precious metals, be my guest. Not much downside (or upside) risk, so its going to generally keep some form of value. But I don’t think the potential possibility of some Mad Max society taking root is a good reason to do it. If you are a person who is convinced that is a possibility in your lifetime, you’re much better served to just liquidate your 401k, all your accounts, and selling all your property, and starting over in Costa Rica or something. And if you’re not one of those people, you are paying a tremendous opportunity cost vs. what you’d get in the stock market, real estate, bonds, etc. with the same money.

Full faith and credit isn't on the notes and doesn't really mean anything.

During the civil war, when the country (the North) was spending trying to win the war, people got very nervous and coinage with valuable metals all but disappeared from circulation as folks hoarded things they knew would hold value.

You can be aware of the history of our currency and think precious metals serve a purpose as a portion of your assets without going full Mad Max.

That's kind of a problem today. People too frequently assume they know exactly who the person they are talking with online is, based on a pretty small subset of stereotypes.

Not everyone who understands history and believes it has a few things to teach us is a rampant conspiracy nut.

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
This is a thread where precious metals are being pushed, the collapse of civilization is being discussed, and the gold standard referenced as ideal.

Point is, your post did not seem exaggerated within the context of what's been discussed.

It's not any of those things. It's a thread were precious metals and the obvious problems of our current economy are being discussed.

Where did anyone say the gold standard is ideal??

Go find a fence post in your yard if you want a great audience for another of your endless debates.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
You need to physically have your precious metals long before a government can make it hard or impossible for you to get them from a third party.

The "pandemic" should have made it obvious to this current coddled generation just how far benign seeming government officials will go to separate you from your rights at the slightest sign they can exert such power.

But a large part of the population seems completely oblivious or supportive of government overreach.
Literally never got close to being separated from my rights.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Who says I don't have it?
I invest 300.00 a month on Silver and have it mailed to me once a year. It will always be taken as currency. Anything printed may not. Now you have China, Russia several S. American countries and a few Middle Eastern country's ally to together to make the yuan the official currency. The country and the world have really dissolved into chaos the past two years.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Hear me out; two words: Survival Seeds

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Watching this episode of Frontline, there is no way this dollar is sustainable. It's going down and hard. Soon.

Age of Easy Money. Frontline. While I am still watching it, it's unavailable on youtube if I try and link it.
Curious. Why not gold?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Name one right I lost?

No idea. I don't know anything about you.

A lot of people lost their right to freely speak about many things without possible loss of job.

They were forced to inject unproven medication into their bodies or face loss of job.

You're aware of this, you just want a political argument, which I do not.

Reactions: operch

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
No idea. I don't know anything about you.

A lot of people lost their right to freely speak about many things without possible loss of job.

They were forced to inject unproven medication into their bodies or face loss of job.

You're aware of this, you just want a political argument, which I do not.
You think every American has a right to a job?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Exactly how did you lose free speech? I’m not aware of anywhere in the continental US where that has happened. Have not been to Hawaii or Alaska

If I am censoring perfectly reasonable speech because I fear repercussion based on pressure employers feel from governmental entities, then yes, my free speech rights have been affected.

You know that happened. It's not hard to find the evidence and I'm done with this portion of the thread.

Reactions: operch

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
If I am censoring perfectly reasonable speech because I fear repercussion based on pressure employers feel from governmental entities, then yes, my free speech rights have been affected.

You know that happened. It's not hard to find the evidence and I'm done with this portion of the thread.
Except that the US, via its constitutionally created court system, has never recognized the 1st Amendment as protecting a right to keep a private sector job. You are claiming you formerly had such a right, and now it's been lost. But you never had such a right.

I think you are making a good call to run from this portion of the thread.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Except that the US, via its constitutionally created court system, has never recognized the 1st Amendment as protecting a right to keep a private sector job. You are claiming you formerly had such a right, and now it's been lost. But you never had such a right.

I think you are making a good call to run from this portion of the thread.

Not wanting to get into the same ole pointless debate with the same ole group of cranks who live to argue and get threads locked is not running.

We disagree now and we can get into a long argument and ruin what's left of this thread and still disagree.

Or I can choose not to engage with folks who have no intention of having their mind changed. I'm going that route, without being a rudeass.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
A friend of mine lost his father last year. The father had been successful in business, owned several pieces of commercial real estate, owned quite a bit of property but you wouldn’t know it to meet him. After he died the family gathered to clean out his house in preparation to sell it. There was 8 five gallon paint buckets stacked in his garage, upon opening them they were all full of silver. An assortment of coins and bars up to brick size totaling several hundred pounds total. They were just stacked in his garage, the family had no idea, the father wasn’t a prepper, didnt even own a gun,and had never mentioned it to anyone

Reactions: She Mate Me

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Full faith and credit isn't on the notes and doesn't really mean anything.

During the civil war, when the country (the North) was spending trying to win the war, people got very nervous and coinage with valuable metals all but disappeared from circulation as folks hoarded things they knew would hold value.

You can be aware of the history of our currency and think precious metals serve a purpose as a portion of your assets without going full Mad Max.

That's kind of a problem today. People too frequently assume they know exactly who the person they are talking with online is, based on a pretty small subset of stereotypes.

Not everyone who understands history and believes it has a few things to teach us is a rampant conspiracy nut.

Full faith and credit actually means everything until the US starts defaulting on its foreign debts, which hasn’t happened in going on 250 years now. Its also the government that oversees the world’s largest economy, one that directly supports the economies of the rest of the free world. As such, an actual collapse of the dollar will lead to either a global bailout of the US economy, a military coup that resets the US economy and stabilizes the dollar, or a Mad Max civilization. Its hard to see a large silver supply being super beneficial in any of those scenarios, and honestly its hard to even care if it would be beneficial or not in the last two scenarios.

As far as whether or not you are a conspiracy nut, I don’t really care. If you are, there’s a better path forward than hoarding metals. If you’re not, there’s a better path forward than hoarding metals. Its not going to burn you that bad in small amounts, but its probably not going to help you that much either. But you do you though.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

You censoring is not the government censoring. As I suspected, just political talking points.

ETA: I am aware of what is happening in FL but somehow I doubt that bothers you at all.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Not wanting to get into the same ole pointless debate with the same ole group of cranks who live to argue and get threads locked is not running.

We disagree now and we can get into a long argument and ruin what's left of this thread and still disagree.

Or I can choose not to engage with folks who have no intention of having their mind changed. I'm going that route, without being a rudeass.
Except I'm perfectly willing to have my mind changed. The problem is, you're not. I can agree with you that public pressure can act to limit "free" speech, and can debate with you how that should or shouldn't happen. But the historical facts as to what our judicial system has interpreted the 1A to apply to is just that, historical fact. If you're not going to accept that, if you're going to pretend rulings went a way in the past that is the opposite of reality so you can claim they "changed" to what they are now, then the problem is you, bud.

Hell, the irony is reality is the OPPOSITE of your view. Courts used to rule very heavily for vaccine mandates. They switched course TOWARDS more individual liberty by ruling against them. You GAINED rights. But your agenda insists on the opposite, so that's what you believe.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
You censoring is not the government censoring. As I suspected, just political talking points.

ETA: I am aware of what is happening in FL but somehow I doubt that bothers you at all.

I'm completely apolitical as I find nearly all politicians distasteful, but you've already categorized me as somewhere right of you. Feel free to peruse my ridiculous number of posts. You won't find me pushing any political talking points unless they just happen to coincide with my opinion.

And the government absolutely censors through creative uses of it's influence and force. If you choose to believe otherwise, more power to you and be well.

And off the top of my head I have no idea what the FL comment means.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Full faith and credit actually means everything until the US starts defaulting on its foreign debts, which hasn’t happened in going on 250 years now. Its also the government that oversees the world’s largest economy, one that directly supports the economies of the rest of the free world. As such, an actual collapse of the dollar will lead to either a global bailout of the US economy, a military coup that resets the US economy and stabilizes the dollar, or a Mad Max civilization. Its hard to see a large silver supply being super beneficial in any of those scenarios, and honestly its hard to even care if it would be beneficial or not in the last two scenarios.

As far as whether or not you are a conspiracy nut, I don’t really care. If you are, there’s a better path forward than hoarding metals. If you’re not, there’s a better path forward than hoarding metals. Its not going to burn you that bad in small amounts, but its probably not going to help you that much either. But you do you though.

The full faith and credit line still means nothing. What means something is that the world sees the dollar as the safe haven currency, which is and has been great for us. And compared to other currencies, it's probably completely warranted.

I don't think there are all that many hoarders of metals although the amount many have might seem like a hoard to those who own none.

The logic of holding small amounts is if it is ever truly needed, the demand for physical metals from people and governments will drive the prices up quickly and precipitously.

Thus a small holding will be very useful in that pretty unlikely event. If it doesn't happen you've got an asset that probably at least matches inflation, so no real pain.

And yes I will do me. Don't see any better options.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Except I'm perfectly willing to have my mind changed. The problem is, you're not. I can agree with you that public pressure can act to limit "free" speech, and can debate with you how that should or shouldn't happen. But the historical facts as to what our judicial system has interpreted the 1A to apply to is just that, historical fact. If you're not going to accept that, if you're going to pretend rulings went a way in the past that is the opposite of reality so you can claim they "changed" to what they are now, then the problem is you, bud.

Hell, the irony is reality is the OPPOSITE of your view. Courts used to rule very heavily for vaccine mandates. They switched course TOWARDS more individual liberty by ruling against them. You GAINED rights. But your agenda insists on the opposite, so that's what you believe.

My god, you've nailed down a tremendous amount about what I think and how willing I am to listen to other opinions and have my mind changed from a few lines of text.

I don't have an agenda. I just think the pandemic was terribly managed for the seriousness of what we were facing.

I don't think I'm who you have pigeonholed me as, but I'm not interested in hashing that out with you based on your style.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'm completely apolitical as I find nearly all politicians distasteful, but you've already categorized me as somewhere right of you. Feel free to peruse my ridiculous number of posts. You won't find me pushing any political talking points unless they just happen to coincide with my opinion.

And the government absolutely censors through creative uses of it's influence and force. If you choose to believe otherwise, more power to you and be well.

And off the top of my head I have no idea what the FL comment means.
Fair enough. I don’t understand the free speech connotation but that’s fine. And I certainly don’t want to get into FL politics!

Reactions: She Mate Me

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Good for you if you do. If you don’t physically have it in your possession, a piece of paper saying you have it, during a collapse, is worthless. I seriously doubt things like internet and apps will still be working if the dollar collapses. At least in the US.
I’d be willing to bet a lot of the global economy will be in turmoil if the dollar collapses.
I store it all in my prison wallet

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
At no point did I assume that. I pretty much assume you aren’t allowed to be a state fan if you don’t know how to use a gun
Sadly Ole Miss has a rifle team and we do not. I know State gals can out shoot those 17ers, and I wish I had the money to endow a team to prove it.

Reactions: HailStout

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
It’s amazing how a democrat President has absolutely ruined the entire global economy, to the point to where currencies will fail and civilization as we know it is done, in 2 years*****

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
My god, you've nailed down a tremendous amount about what I think and how willing I am to listen to other opinions and have my mind changed from a few lines of text.

I don't have an agenda. I just think the pandemic was terribly managed for the seriousness of what we were facing.

I don't think I'm who you have pigeonholed me as, but I'm not interested in hashing that out with you based on your style.
Well, in those few lines you staked out an incredibly wrong position, and I am seeing how you are reacting. It ain't good.

Scottfield1

Nov 21, 2013
I honestly don't understand the negativity toward holding some precious metals.

It doesn't mean you don't also have ammo, guns, chickens, a basement full of canned food, pallets of sugar and flour, a barn full of hay and composted manure, a storage shed filled with chemical fertilizer, secret underground fuel storage tanks, a sea can full of tools, another sea can full of generators, etc, etc, etc.

It just seems a few tons of precious metals makes some sense, if only to get more generators from the guy who doesn't need
Precious metals held value to anyone in the civilized world at that time. It wasn't just

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Well, in those few lines you staked out an incredibly wrong position, and I am seeing how you are reacting. It ain't good.

Well, all it takes is 5 minutes of looking at your post history to see you're not really here for sports. You're here to jump on anybody who sees the world differently.

You know nothing about who I am, but in your mind you've got me nailed from a very few sentences on a message board. The arrogance of that is kinda nauseating.

And you might work on your style. It's not endearing.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login