I love Dak to death but is he talking out of both sides...

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I was chatting with some casual fans and they both said they should drop Dak. I said, “name one QB that Jerry could reasonably get that would be even as good, if not better?” The only answer was “there’s tons of them.” Just stupid, but not out of line with the average Cowboy fan.

The guy just had an MVP season with one WR and no running game. Tons of QBs do that on the reg.*****
That’s not the point… at least not with me…

the point is… is dak worth the contract he’s seeking.. my answer.. hell no

my point B is.. if you signed a quality qb for lesser money, like baker mayfield was, and used the rest of the cap space saved to lock up the talent that is now leaving… would the cowboys be in better shape… my answer… hell yes

dak has leverage but so do the cowboys. The cowboys know that again there aren’t but about 10 teams that would be in a position to sign dak as a free agent at the deal he’s seeking and none are in better situations to win than Dallas

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Go get your money Dak. Anyone who thinks the dollars Jerha saves by Dak taking less than market will go to free agents doesn’t know Jehra. I want the Dak Prescott NIL and IPF fund to come straight out of Jerha’s wallet.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Have you look at what his offense has scored in a few of those losses

Dak has performed below par in the playoffs. And his teams haven’t won

the difference bt dak and that list… everyone on that list has won a Super Bowl

had dak won a Super Bowl or he’ll even gotten to one, my opinion would change. But as of now he’s proven he can’t take a team to a superbowl so I’m not going to pay him like someone that can or has.. as someone else stated… he a lot more Kirk cousins than pat mahomes.
Brees won one in all those years. It's damn hard to win a Super Bowl, especially against teams with better talent and coaching and ownership.

Reactions: Dawgg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
What did he say that is talking out of both sides? I only saw the one quote ^
He says he would give up the money just to play football.
Yet he pushed for a huge salary in the last negotiation round and said his advisors will push for all he is worth, relative to the market, this time around.

Thats both sides.

If he would give up the money just to play football, then do that. Give up the money. Let others have the money since just playing is what matters to him.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Brees won one in all those years. It's damn hard to win a Super Bowl, especially against teams with better talent and coaching and ownership.
It’s hard to win a supe bowl, agred… forget Super Bowl dak hasn’t even played in the nfc championship

but……. how hard is it to win 3 playoff games in 9 years? Anyone that has, has been more successful than dak in the playoffs

if dak wants to change that narrative. Step 1 is to sign a team friendly deal.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
It’s hard to win a supe bowl, agred… forget Super Bowl dak hasn’t even played in the nfc championship

but……. how hard is it to win 3 playoff games in 9 years? Anyone that has, has been more successful than dak in the playoffs
He's got to have the team and he's got to play better too. Dallas hasn't been great and the coaching has been worse. Put Dak on SF and he wins. Mahomes is probably the only QB that can take over a game and get his team to a championship. Not sure why people think Dak should, he's not Mahomes.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He's got to have the team and he's got to play better too. Dallas hasn't been great and the coaching has been worse. Put Dak on SF and he wins. Mahomes is probably the only QB that can take over a game and get his team to a championship. Not sure why people think Dak should, he's not Mahomes.
That’s the point. Daks contract wont allow him to be on SF

he needs a team around him. Which is why he should take lesser money.

if he takes some crazy contract the team around him will only get worse… and he’s proven he can’t win with bette… so how will he win with worse.

which takes me back too.. there is no way I’d sign him to the contract he’s seeking

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Honestly when I read your post, my first thought was "ok maybe marginally wasn't the right word". Looking at the stats, it is shocking just how small the differences are. "Barely marginally better" may have been more accurate.

Kirk cousins career Passer rating: 98.2
Kirk Cousins career completion %: 66.9
Kirk cousins career playoff record: 1-4

Dak career passer rating: 99.0
Dak career completion %: 67
Dak career playoff record: 2-5

The only reason to give Dak substantially more money than Kirk Cousins is if you believe at age 30, after 8 NFL seasons, that Dak will take a major step forward in performance. I don't see that happening but who knows, maybe there's an NFL team who disagrees. Again, my sense is Dak is worth more to the Cowboys than any other team. He's a really good fit there.
You’re either downplaying or leaving out entirely the 2 biggest factors.

Passer rating is almost meaningless. 1994 metric for judging QB’s. QBR is the gold standard….judges the QB much more situationally and based on opponent strength, and incorporates their running ability. Dak’s age 26-30 average QBR is 67.6. Cousins is 60.6. Huge gap. Cousins has always been a stat piler with a big lead or deficit. Dak has been able to do big things in high leverage moments.

The “5 years younger” bit is also very important. You lock down Dak in his next deal, there’s a good chance he’s your QB for the next decade plus, and playing at a high level for 80% of that time. Cousins doesn’t offer that….especially post-injury. Hell, the Falcons didn’t even think so….still spent a 1st Rounder on a QB in the same offseason as giving a huge deal to Cousins. WTF….and they are the ones paying him!

Reactions: dorndawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Every QB needs a solid team around them to win a Super Bowl. The Cowboys organization has shown no ability to build a solid roster regardless of what the QB makes.
Exactly. They had a chance to get Dak locked up at a huge discount well before the end of his rookie deal. But instead, they blew their wad on Zeke and an Amari Cooper rental (which also cost them a 1st round pick), and thus had to pay the piper on the back end. If they couldn’t build a contender when he was making 4th round rookie money for 4 years, plus one tag year, how the hell are they going to ever do it?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Exactly. They had a chance to get Dak locked up at a huge discount well before the end of his rookie deal. But instead, they blew their wad on Zeke and an Amari Cooper rental (which also cost them a 1st round pick), and thus had to pay the piper on the back end. If they couldn’t build a contender when he was making 4th round rookie money for 4 years, plus one tag year, how the hell are they going to ever do it?
There it is. The Boys have no handled the roster well enough before when they could have, what makes people think they will if Dak gives them a discount? Dak needs to take the money and continue to enjoy the extra month of offseason.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
One of the best to ever play QB (Dan Marino) played in 1 Super Bowl, when he was 23. Warren Moon, Phillip Rivers, Dan Fouts, Tony Romo, Randall Cunningham, NEVER played in one.....

And none of those are even named when bringing up top tier QBs

minus Marino who basically rewrote the record books
You are officially on crack.

Fouts and Moon are both in the HoF….along with Marino. Holy 17ing Shít.

Reactions: grandprairiedog

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
He says he would give up the money just to play football.
Yet he pushed for a huge salary in the last negotiation round and said his advisors will push for all he is worth, relative to the market, this time around.

Thats both sides.

If he would give up the money just to play football, then do that. Give up the money. Let others have the money since just playing is what matters to him.

Meh. You should negotiate to get paid what you're worth even if you love what you do. A lot of people have jobs that make them say, "I can't believe I'm paid to do this!" and yet still expect to get paid fairly. You don't have to say, "I'm only motivated by money" to negotiate the best possible contract for yourself.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Well, the NFLPA didn't have a problem with Brady restructuring his deal year after year.
I’m fairly certain Brady never restructured to take like 35% of his actual value. Was more like 70-75%. He also did a lot of that very late in his career.

If Dak agreed to play for $20 million per year, at age 31, even though he could not be traded or franchise tagged and could essentially name his salary somewhere for 4 years….there would be a league wide investigation into the matter and what deals Jerry was hooking him up with under the table (endorsements, off-the-books perks, etc.) in order to keep him in Dallas.

Reactions: grandprairiedog

grandprairiedog

Apr 26, 2021
That’s not the point… at least not with me…

the point is… is dak worth the contract he’s seeking.. my answer.. hell no

my point B is.. if you signed a quality qb for lesser money, like baker mayfield was, and used the rest of the cap space saved to lock up the talent that is now leaving… would the cowboys be in better shape… my answer… hell yes

dak has leverage but so do the cowboys. The cowboys know that again there aren’t but about 10 teams that would be in a position to sign dak as a free agent at the deal he’s seeking and none are in better situations to win than Dallas
The market, combined with ones value to their team sets the contract price! He will get what his play and leadership dictates!

Reactions: eckie1

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Meh. You should negotiate to get paid what you're worth even if you love what you do. A lot of people have jobs that make them say, "I can't believe I'm paid to do this!" and yet still expect to get paid fairly. You don't have to say, "I'm only motivated by money" to negotiate the best possible contract for yourself.
I agree with what you say here.
At the same time, since I do expect to be paid fairly, this is in part why I have never publicly announced to a wide audience that I would give up being paid just to do my job.

Its a dumb comment that is made way more frequently than it should be made by athletes and entertainers.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
You’re either downplaying or leaving out entirely the 2 biggest factors.

Passer rating is almost meaningless. 1994 metric for judging QB’s. QBR is the gold standard….judges the QB much more situationally and based on opponent strength, and incorporates their running ability. Dak’s age 26-30 average QBR is 67.6. Cousins is 60.6. Huge gap. Cousins has always been a stat piler with a big lead or deficit. Dak has been able to do big things in high leverage moments.

The “5 years younger” bit is also very important. You lock down Dak in his next deal, there’s a good chance he’s your QB for the next decade plus, and playing at a high level for 80% of that time. Cousins doesn’t offer that….especially post-injury. Hell, the Falcons didn’t even think so….still spent a 1st Rounder on a QB in the same offseason as giving a huge deal to Cousins. WTF….and they are the ones paying him!
Yep, I think Dak is a bit better of a QB than Kirk Cousins. it sounds like we're 99% in agreement.

And ascribing smarts to anything the Atlanta Falcons do is a dangerous game, my friend.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Cooper wasn’t a rental. He played 4 season at a high level. He was eliminated due to the incoming ceedee lamb raise and dak. Can’t pay two top notch wideouts plus a quarterback… the bengals are about to find that out… but trading for a wr1 who produced for 4 seasons isn’t a bad move at all….

the built a contender. But it was one that flopped in the playoffs. Numerous times.

theyve Built a great defense.. didn’t work
a run first offense.. didn’t work
new coach.. got it
new cooridnator got it..
‘new head coach calling the plays in a pass first offense… got it
3 all pro lines…did that too

the 2 constants thru it all have been the owner and the QB…. And the owner isn’t going anywhere. Seems like they’ve baked the cake every way possible.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Ask yourself this. Are the cowboys better off keeping all their talent and adding more. And having a guy like baker mayfield be their QB

or are they better off giving dak a record breaking deal, lose talent around them because of salary cap reasons… and hoping in year 10-15 he develops the ability to lead a team to success in the post season?

I know what I’d do if I’m Dallas
What??? In the last 3 Superbowls, Mahomes, Burrows, Stafford and Hurts played. All four have higher contracts that Dak. The 5th is Mayfield who is the 16th highest. Brock Purdy is the only QB paid less than Dak. How is this possible under the salary cap? Per your logic those teams should all be losers as the QB eats up most of their team's compensation. Last time I checked their were 11 guys on offense and 11 on defense. How many Superbowl rings has the Dallas defense won during Dak's run? Football is a team sport. The path to the Superbowl starts with management making the right choices off the field to give the best chance to win a championship. To hold Dak solely responsible for the lack of championships is a huge outreach.

Reactions: patdog

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I’m fairly certain Brady never restructured to take like 35% of his actual value. Was more like 70-75%. He also did a lot of that very late in his career.

If Dak agreed to play for $20 million per year, at age 31, even though he could not be traded or franchise tagged and could essentially name his salary somewhere for 4 years….there would be a league wide investigation into the matter and what deals Jerry was hooking him up with under the table (endorsements, off-the-books perks, etc.) in order to keep him in Dallas.
Facts:

Over Tom Brady's career, once he started making real money, his average AAV was roughly 15 million. Compare to Matthew Stafford (23.5M) and Aaron Rogers (21M) who overlaps that tenure.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuntDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
What??? In the last 3 Superbowls, Mahomes, Burrows, Stafford and Hurts played. All four have higher contracts that Dak. The 5th is Mayfield who is the 16th highest. Brock Purdy is the only QB paid less than Dak. How is this possible under the salary cap? Per your logic those teams should all be losers as the QB eats up most of their team's compensation. Last time I checked their were 11 guys on offense and 11 on defense. How many Superbowl rings has the Dallas defense won during Dak's run? Football is a team sport. The path to the Superbowl starts with management making the right choices off the field to give the best chance to win a championship. To hold Dak solely responsible for the lack of championships is a huge outreach.
Dak has the bigger cap hit than any of those guys.

team friendly doesn’t mean you don’t get paid, but you structure your contract in ways to allow the team to sign other players around him.

hurts and burrows were both on rookie deals when they made it as well…. They got their contacts after they led their teams to super bowls… something dak hasn’t proven to be able to do…. So without even looking it up, your math only mahomes and stafford were being paid more, the other 4 signicsntly less… dak is in no way on mahomes level and stafford is probably better as well.

do your homework then come back and join the discussion

and I’ve never blamed anything on dak. But the qb gets the blame or credit win or lose. It’s just the way it goes. And if the qb is going to take up a significant portion of your cap… then he better be worth it… so far dak hasn’t shown to be worth it

Last edited:

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Go look up the playoff numbers. They are hard to ignore.

the two interceptions dak threw killed any chance the cowboys had of winning of that game. Being down 14-0 early bc of a pick 6 is hard to over come. Getting a chance to get back into the game and score before half when getting the ball after half… the throw another pick 6…. Ended the game.
It's hard to ignore that their playoff opponents consistently seem to know exactly what Dallas is going to do. Why this hasn't applied in the regular season is a fair question, but top to bottom the Boys have been outcoached in almost every playoff game. They're not ready to play, their plays/strategy sucks, they can't execute, on and on.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
It's hard to ignore that their playoff opponents consistently seem to know exactly what Dallas is going to do. Why this hasn't applied in the regular season is a fair question, but top to bottom the Boys have been outcoached in almost every playoff game. They're not ready to play, their plays/strategy sucks, they can't execute, on and on.
Last post season, GB’s defenders knew the Boy’s receiving routes better than the Boys.

Reactions: eckie1

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
2 different coaches. Multiple coordinators. Again the constant over all the 9 years and playoff disappointments… have been the owner and the qb.. and the owner don’t play.

I’m for dak going back to Dallas. But it needs to be on a team friendly deal to get and keep talent around him.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Facts:

Over Tom Brady's career, once he started making real money, his average AAV was roughly 15 million. Compare to Matthew Stafford (23.5M) and Aaron Rogers (21M) who overlaps that tenure.

It would in no way surprise me if the Patriots/Kraft family didn't simply give Tom duffel bags full of money to make up the rest of his salary. They own the stadium so they'd have a steady supply of cash, and it's not exactly like anyone at that outfit was afraid of breaking a rule here and there.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
It would in no way surprise me if the Patriots/Kraft family didn't simply give Tom duffel bags full of money to make up the rest of his salary. They own the stadium so they'd have a steady supply of cash, and it's not exactly like anyone at that outfit was afraid of breaking a rule here and there.
I think those duffel bags were full of deflated footballs.

Tom probably met old man Kraft at the massage parlor to pick up the cash bags.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
I'm a Dak fan, but none of those guys are worth that kind of money.
It's a damn game, ...and then he has really not done well, at Crunch time.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Dak has way more leverage. I count 17 teams that could be possibilities, but they certainly won’t all be. Thing is, it only takes one. Every one of these teams upgrades in the next 1-2 years by adding Dak, until further notice.

Breaks down in the following categories:

3 teams currently have aging QB’s that are also expensive (high likelihood to at least make a play) - Rams, Jets, Steelers (sort of)

5 teams with mediocre QB’s that are also expensive or going to be pretty expensive (medium / high likelihood to make a play, depending on the team) - Seahawks, Bucs, Jags, Cards, Giants.

8 teams with completely unproven rookie or 2nd year QB’s. Complete wild card group. (medium probability to pursue Dak…depends on 2024 season). At least half of these guys will suck. Titans, Pats, Vikings, Broncos, Raiders, Commanders, Colts, Panthers.

1 team with a unique, cheap QB room consisting of an aging veteran and a younger bust, both on 1 year deals. Steelers. Would say high probability to pursue Dak, but they aren’t known for spending big in FA. Medium / Low probability.

1 team with a very hyped rookie QB that will likely get more than one year to figure it out. Bears - Low probability.

1. Rams - Stafford and Cooper Kupp are both old and due a cap hit of a combined $80 million in ‘24 and ‘25. Gross. Rams will want to get younger at both spots soon.

2. Seattle - Geno Smith will only have 1 year left on his deal when Dak hits FA. Only $38 million cap hit….he’d be a great trade piece for a team that’s a QB away if they want to make room for Dak, especially since he doesn’t have a tag restriction.

3. Tennessee - No proven QB and not really dumping hardly any money on QB’s currently. Can definitely make a play if they want. Maybe, maybe not….depends on Levis taking a step forward. More will be known in 2025.

4. New England - Depends on Drake Maye’s development. More will be known here in 2025. Maybe, maybe not. They have no other answers. Not really their style to go out and get a bank breaker at any particular position….but there’s never been a guy on the market of Dak’s pedigree either. I’d say not likely, but not impossible.

5. Tampa - Baker Mayfield has 2 years left after 2024. If he spends another year in his mediocre zone like last year, he’ll be due a combined $80 million in cap hits in ‘25 and ‘26. You can bet your *** that Tampa will want to move him in that scenario, if Dak is available. That’s what’s so funny about your scenario. You really think Dallas would rather take a $40 million hit on Mayfield than a $50-$55 million hit on Dak? If so, they’ll certainly get the opportunity.

6. Jacksonville - Trevor Lawrence has been a perreniel disappointment (outside of one year), not stayed healthy, and will have only his team option year with a $25 million cap hit in 2025. An easily movable piece if Dak’s available.

7. Minnesota - same category as NE / Tennessee. They’ll see what they have in McCarthey in 2024.

8. Pittsburgh - two mediocre QB’s on 1-year deals in 2024…..both of whom are widely regarded as total headcases. 38 year old Russell Wilson is certainly NOT the long term answer. Its not costing them much to see if Tomlin can work his old school hard-asś magic on Fields, but fairly low probability of success. A wide open landing spot here in 2025 for somebody, potentially, even if its not Dak.

9. Carolina - Bryce Young had bust written all over him last year. Horrible organization, but one that could still make a max offer.

10. Denver - Same boat as NE / Tenn / Minnesota. Bo Nix will either suck or he won’t.

11. Las Vegas - same boat as Carolina. Bad organization….no proven QB….but could pay for one in 2025.

12. Washington - see the other rookie / 2nd year QB teams above.

13. Arizona - same boat as Tampa, but they have a better QB they can offer as trade bait, but same cost as Baker Mayfield.

14. Colts - same boat as rookie / 2nd year QB teams above.

15. Chicago - same boat as rookie / 2nd year QB teams above, but CW might get a longer leash than one year to prove himself. Probably not likely.

16. NY Giants - same boat as Tampa / Arizona. Mediocre QB with huge cap hits coming up….they’d gladly take Dak.

17. NY Jets - 43 year old Aaron Rodgers is a $52 million cap hit in 2025. Jets ain’t 17ing with that. Hopefully Dak isn’t 17ing with them, either, but a possibility nonetheless.

When over half of the NFL can potentially get a big upgrade from adding you, AND could potentially have a path to do it, you have your current team over a barrel, if you want to.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Cooper wasn’t a rental. He played 4 season at a high level. He was eliminated due to the incoming ceedee lamb raise and dak.
He played 1.5 years at a high level. Was only there 3.5 years total. His last 2 years were 2 of the 3 lowest YPC years of his career, and he was hurt a good bit of the last year. Bottom line - Jerruh spent 3.5 years of WR1 money, and a 1st round pick, on 1.5 years of WR1 production and 2 years of WR2 production. Par for the course for him. And don’t even get me started on Zeke. Literally started paying him max money like 3 years before they had to do anything, at the most expendable position in the NFL. All-time stupid decision.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Facts:

A bit confused. Is this some sort of a “gotcha”?

15/23 = 65%
15/21 = 71%

In a completely off-the-cuff, totally unresearched estimate, I said his amount was 70-75% his value….not the 35% people are suggesting Dak could take with that $20 million. The 70-75% was actually 65-71%. Can’t believe how far off I was****

The fact remains that Dak playing for $20 million per year at the same time that Baker 17ing Mayfield is playing for double that amount would absolutely result in an investigation from Goodell and probably both houses of the US Congress. Its just a hysterically unrealistic scenario.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Dak has way more leverage. I count 17 teams that could be possibilities, but they certainly won’t all be. Thing is, it only takes one. Every one of these teams upgrades in the next 1-2 years by adding Dak, until further notice.

Breaks down in the following categories:

3 teams currently have aging QB’s that are also expensive (high likelihood to at least make a play) - Rams, Jets, Steelers (sort of)

5 teams with mediocre QB’s that are also expensive or going to be pretty expensive (medium / high likelihood to make a play, depending on the team) - Seahawks, Bucs, Jags, Cards, Giants.

8 teams with completely unproven rookie or 2nd year QB’s. Complete wild card group. (medium probability to pursue Dak…depends on 2024 season). At least half of these guys will suck. Titans, Pats, Vikings, Broncos, Raiders, Commanders, Colts, Panthers.

1 team with a unique, cheap QB room consisting of an aging veteran and a younger bust, both on 1 year deals. Steelers. Would say high probability to pursue Dak, but they aren’t known for spending big in FA. Medium / Low probability.

1 team with a very hyped rookie QB that will likely get more than one year to figure it out. Bears - Low probability.

1. Rams - Stafford and Cooper Kupp are both old and due a cap hit of a combined $80 million in ‘24 and ‘25. Gross. Rams will want to get younger at both spots soon.

2. Seattle - Geno Smith will only have 1 year left on his deal when Dak hits FA. Only $38 million cap hit….he’d be a great trade piece for a team that’s a QB away if they want to make room for Dak, especially since he doesn’t have a tag restriction.

3. Tennessee - No proven QB and not really dumping hardly any money on QB’s currently. Can definitely make a play if they want. Maybe, maybe not….depends on Levis taking a step forward. More will be known in 2025.

4. New England - Depends on Drake Maye’s development. More will be known here in 2025. Maybe, maybe not. They have no other answers. Not really their style to go out and get a bank breaker at any particular position….but there’s never been a guy on the market of Dak’s pedigree either. I’d say not likely, but not impossible.

5. Tampa - Baker Mayfield has 2 years left after 2024. If he spends another year in his mediocre zone like last year, he’ll be due a combined $80 million in cap hits in ‘25 and ‘26. You can bet your *** that Tampa will want to move him in that scenario, if Dak is available. That’s what’s so funny about your scenario. You really think Dallas would rather take a $40 million hit on Mayfield than a $50-$55 million hit on Dak? If so, they’ll certainly get the opportunity.

6. Jacksonville - Trevor Lawrence has been a perreniel disappointment (outside of one year), not stayed healthy, and will have only his team option year with a $25 million cap hit in 2025. An easily movable piece if Dak’s available.

7. Minnesota - same category as NE / Tennessee. They’ll see what they have in McCarthey in 2024.

8. Pittsburgh - two mediocre QB’s on 1-year deals in 2024…..both of whom are widely regarded as total headcases. 38 year old Russell Wilson is certainly NOT the long term answer. Its not costing them much to see if Tomlin can work his old school hard-asś magic on Fields, but fairly low probability of success. A wide open landing spot here in 2025 for somebody, potentially, even if its not Dak.

9. Carolina - Bryce Young had bust written all over him last year. Horrible organization, but one that could still make a max offer.

10. Denver - Same boat as NE / Tenn / Minnesota. Bo Nix will either suck or he won’t.

11. Las Vegas - same boat as Carolina. Bad organization….no proven QB….but could pay for one in 2025.

12. Washington - see the other rookie / 2nd year QB teams above.

13. Arizona - same boat as Tampa, but they have a better QB they can offer as trade bait, but same cost as Baker Mayfield.

14. Colts - same boat as rookie / 2nd year QB teams above.

15. Chicago - same boat as rookie / 2nd year QB teams above, but CW might get a longer leash than one year to prove himself. Probably not likely.

16. NY Giants - same boat as Tampa / Arizona. Mediocre QB with huge cap hits coming up….they’d gladly take Dak.

17. NY Jets - 43 year old Aaron Rodgers is a $52 million cap hit in 2025. Jets ain’t 17ing with that. Hopefully Dak isn’t 17ing with them, either, but a possibility nonetheless.

When over half of the NFL can potentially get a big upgrade from adding you, AND could potentially have a path to do it, you have your current team over a barrel, if you want to.
3,4,5,6,9, 13, 14, 15

Aren’t landing spots for dak and what he’s seeking or their qb situation is way more settled than you make it seem

At a discounted rate any of them are… but if he’s discounting his salary then Dallas is the logical home

there are realistically 6-8 teams that could make an offer to dak… and even then only Denver and Seattle, and maybe the jets would be in situations better or equal to Dallas.

Dallas wants dak back, dak wants to be back. Makes too much sense for them to meet in the middle somewhere. But if dak insists on a record setting deal, there aren’t 17 teams that would be lined up to give it to him, that’s for sure

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
2 different coaches. Multiple coordinators. Again the constant over all the 9 years and playoff disappointments… have been the owner and the qb.. and the owner don’t play.

I’m for dak going back to Dallas. But it needs to be on a team friendly deal to get and keep talent around him.
It’s more the owner than Dak. The last good head coach hire he made was Jimmy Johnson But the fact about Dak has always been, he’s a really good QB, but he’s never been a big game QB. And that’s going back to Mississippi State days. In big games, he tries to do too much and forces things and makes critical mistakes. I hope he wins a SB in his career, but I kind of doubt he will.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He played 1.5 years at a high level. Was only there 3.5 years total. His last 2 years were 2 of the 3 lowest YPC years of his career, and he was hurt a good bit of the last year. Bottom line - Jerruh spent 3.5 years of WR1 money, and a 1st round pick, on 1.5 years of WR1 production and 2 years of WR2 production. Par for the course for him. And don’t even get me started on Zeke. Literally started paying him max money like 3 years before they had to do anything, at the most expendable position in the NFL. All-time stupid decision.
The zeke deal was beyond bad. Cooper was fine. Cooper would have been a cowboy for his career had lamb not come along and dal not needed a huge raise…at the time Dallas needed a legit wideout, he brought that to them.

Cooper will likely end up being a hall of famer. Trading for a hall of famer in his prime and only giving up 1 pick. Isn’t a bad deal.. lambs development just made them adjust their plans

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
3,4,5,6,9, 13, 14, 15

Aren’t landing spots for dak and what he’s seeking or their qb situation is way more settled than you make it seem

At a discounted rate any of them are… but if he’s discounting his salary then Dallas is the logical home

there are realistically 6-8 teams that could make an offer to dak… and even then only Denver and Seattle, and maybe the jets would be in situations better or equal to Dallas.

Dallas wants dak back, dak wants to be back. Makes too much sense for them to meet in the middle somewhere. But if dak insists on a record setting deal, there aren’t 17 teams that would be lined up to give it to him, that’s for sure
Nobody said all 17 teams were going to offer him a record deal. Of course that won’t happen. When push comes to shove, half of them probably won’t be that interested….or won’t be able to make it work financially. There’s an entire season that still has to play out before that all gets settled. But again, it only takes one team. If there are 6-8 with serious interest, you can bet the bids against each other will be high.

My personal belief, which I also hate to say is my belief, is that Dak has already agreed in principle to stay in Dallas….and the only reason he hasn’t extended yet is that Jerry will not be able to afford the new contract until the cap goes up again next year, and they jettison some other tag-heavy assets. Both sides carry some risk….Dak can literally decide his own fate….Jerry can change the terms if he gets hurt and pay less (and maybe that amount has also been agreed in principle), or come in with a late lowball offer.. Plenty of risk, but could work if both sides trust each other.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Nobody said all 17 teams were going to offer him a record deal. Of course that won’t happen. When push comes to shove, half of them probably won’t be that interested….or won’t be able to make it work financially. There’s an entire season that still has to play out before that all gets settled. But again, it only takes one team. If there are 6-8 with serious interest, you can bet the bids against each other will be high.

My personal belief, which I also hate to say is my belief, is that Dak has already agreed in principle to stay in Dallas….and the only reason he hasn’t extended yet is that Jerry will not be able to afford the new contract until the cap goes up again next year, and they jettison some other tag-heavy assets. Both sides carry some risk….Dak can literally decide his own fate….Jerry can change the terms if he gets hurt and pay less (and maybe that amount has also been agreed in principle), or come in with a late lowball offer.. Plenty of risk, but could work if both sides trust each other.
My personal belief is Jerry knows he can’t give lamb, parsons, and dak all crazy contracts and field a team. Lamb and parsons havent been paid yet, dak has. I think Jerry is waiting for dak to be willing to not break the bank on a deal, if dak refuses he’ll let him walk, and he’ll get that years baker or stafford a short term deal to carry on with the team they had built for dak.

dak does have a lot of leverage.. he can leave… but I personally think it’s the best possible spot for dak, and I think everyone involved knows it.. and I think Jerry is betting on dak doing a more team friendly contract…. and i think thats what happens. Dak will still be over paid, but it wont be record setting and it’ll be in a way where they can keep lamb and parsons

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login